Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

And The Winner Is: Awards Discussion

I think it's interesting that Whenever You're Ready won best episode and was also a runner up for worst episode. I, personally, loved it but I understand why some hated it. It does speak to how great the show was overall that people felt so strongly about its ending. 

• Like 10

I'm also interested in The Good Place winning "saddest death scene" as I found these scenes of the main characters turning into light butterflies and getting back down to Earth very comforting and actually full of hope. But I can understand that some people found it sad, I was not expecting it to win the category though.

I also feel like a proud mama because it's the first year I have made submissions, and several of those went to the finals (some even won!), and  it feels all warm and fuzzy to be part of this family!

• Like 16

Delighted that the majority seemed to be as disgusted by Alex’s departure excuse of a storyline as I was 🙂

• Like 3

I'm sad that none of the shows I voted for won, lol. 

• Laugh 1

I feel weirdly proud that something I nominated won. I wonder if I can list this on my LinkedIn as an accomplisment. (hah!)

• Like 8
  • Laugh 14

Oh good, my annual confirmation I do not watch anything remotely popular.  Another year, another final round in which I only cast a handful of votes (most of them in the "worst" categories about shows I don't watch but dislike the concept of), and a whopping one show among the winners that I watch - and that's re-runs of The Golden Girls (the GOAT winner).

(I remember looking over the past winners when this year's schedule was announced, and it was either three or four winning shows out of all previous years that I'd seen, let alone voted for - and two of those were shows that had been canceled.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Sarnia said:

I'm also interested in The Good Place winning "saddest death scene" as I found these scenes of the main characters turning into light butterflies and getting back down to Earth very comforting and actually full of hope. But I can understand that some people found it sad, I was not expecting it to win the category though.

I also feel like a proud mama because it's the first year I have made submissions, and several of those went to the finals (some even won!), and  it feels all warm and fuzzy to be part of this family!

Well, it was comforting but I also blubbered through the entire finale, so they aren't mutually exclusive. At least for me. 😆

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, The Companion said:

Well, it was comforting but I also blubbered through the entire finale, so they aren't mutually exclusive. At least for me. 😆

Same here. It was comforting, hopeful, beautiful... and I voted for it as saddest because I loved those characters and will miss them being on a more corporeal plane of existence. 

• Like 5

I thought the "What a Dump" episode of Will & Grace was hilarious, and I don't normally like bathroom humor.

I will say that voters were spot on with that "Push It" scene from Brooklyn Nine Nine being the funniest scene aired all year. (And with things like the Hustle Dynasty Massacre on What We Do in the Shadows, and the elephant made of light revealing Shirley Temple was JFK's killer on The Good Place, it's not as if there wasn't lots of competition!)

I'm so happy that Adam's ridiculous fleur-de-lys non-idol play from Survivor didn't win for reality moment that I don't even care that I think Chaka Khan had a set amount of episodes in her Masked Singer contract, and that's the only reason Gronk beat her.

7 hours ago, shantown said:

I feel weirdly proud that something I nominated won. I wonder if I can list this on my LinkedIn as an accomplisment. (hah!)

Me too! Special skills perhaps?

• Like 3

I'm so happy that The Good Place got some award love from somewhere, finally. WTG fellow Primetimers.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shantown said:

Me too!

• Like 2

There was “best new show” category this year or did I miss it?- it was The Mandolorian. 

2 thoughts for now

1. I appreciate the inclusion of runners up.
    It is confirmed: I am a runner up kind of person.

2. Would Golden Girls have won "GOAT: Greatest Show of All Time" (forums.primetimer.com/topic/110317-primetimer-award-winners-non-traditional-the-good)
    if this article--
       "Forget the alleged blackface: The Golden Girls was mired in racism and rape culture throughout its run"
       (primetimer.com/item/Forget-the-alleged-blackface-The-Golden-Girls-was-mired-in-racism-and-rape-culture-throughout-its-run-qdSaDJ)
    --had come out a month earlier?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist didn't win... but it was runner up in a few spots!

It could always win next year for a musical category 😄

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh good, my annual confirmation I do not watch anything remotely popular.  Another year, another final round in which I only cast a handful of votes (most of them in the "worst" categories about shows I don't watch but dislike the concept of), and a whopping one show among the winners that I watch - and that's re-runs of The Golden Girls (the GOAT winner).

I tried to watch clips of the nominees when I could find them in order to make an informed vote in case I hadn't seen any of the shows nominated (which often was all of them). I think it's partly that I don't watch anything popular apparently, but also that I think some shows win on the popular vote even if the scene/whatever nominated isn't actually the most fitting for what it was nominated for. Still fun though to see what kind of things other posters are watching!

• Like 4

I found the dark horse winners more interesting. The Good Place, yeah, whatever, it won most everything it was nommed for. Ditto for Grey’s Anatomy on the bad side. I ended up being more intrigued by the stuff I was less familiar with. Like Prodigal Son won for Best Season Long Mindfuckery and I hadn’t heard of it at all. I compiled the gifs and when I went looking for that moment I was like, oooh I think I might want to watch this. Then I binged all 20 episodes in two days.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

22 hours ago, shantown said:

I feel weirdly proud that something I nominated won.

My small victory was that a category I suggested a few years back ("Most Gratuitous Fanservice") is still a category! I don't think any of my Nominations even made it to the Finals.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I ended up being more intrigued by the stuff I was less familiar with. Like Prodigal Son won for Best Season Long Mindfuckery and I hadn’t heard of it at all. I compiled the gifs and when I went looking for that moment I was like, oooh I think I might want to watch this. Then I binged all 20 episodes in two days.

I am one of the few people around here it seems that never got into The Good Place, so it was nice to see the runners up.  The Mindfuckery category inspired me to re-watch the Prodigal Son finale, it really was a great payoff to the season, in Grand Guignol  style!  Glad to see it represented. 

I also re-watched David Byrne/SNL (which was oddly hard to find online?), truly wonderful. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Regalbegal said:

I am one of the few people around here it seems that never got into The Good Place, so it was nice to see the runners up.  The Mindfuckery category inspired me to re-watch the Prodigal Son finale, it really was a great payoff to the season, in Grand Guignol  style!  Glad to see it represented. 

I also re-watched David Byrne/SNL (which was oddly hard to find online?), truly wonderful. 

Did you try Good Place, or just never found it?

If you haven't tried it, give it 4 episodes (The first two aired back to back, third one aired 3 days after that, fourth one aired a week later) - but you should be hooked by then.

I am beyond thrilled that quite a few of my nominees either won or were runners up! I'm pretty happy with the outcome of most categories this year. A lot of the winners/runners up were exactly my choice (or flipped). Made my day!

On 7/12/2020 at 1:50 AM, bros402 said:

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist didn't win... but it was runner up in a few spots!

It could always win next year for a musical category

Yeah, I agree, but good luck beating Hamilton! Also, we haven't seen season 2 yet. It could go south, but hopefully not.

Edited by Ms Lark · Reason: grammar!
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Wow go British Bake off 🙂. It's nice to see a show I actually watch win a few awards.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I am beyond thrilled that quite a few of my nominees either won or were runners up! I'm pretty happy with the outcome of most categories this year. A lot of the winners/runners up were exactly my choice (or flipped). Made my day!

Yeah, I agree, but good luck beating Hamilton! Also, we haven't seen season 2 yet. It could go south, but hopefully not.

Would Hamilton be eligible? It's a taping of the live performance and advertized as a movie. 

• Useful 1

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 2:12 PM, Sarnia said:

I was one who was devastated by the ending and found it hopeless, not hopeful, but we had much discussion of that on the Good Place board at the time. I do agree that good art evokes a spectrum of emotions, and I'm glad so many loved that show.

That said, no TV death is ever gonna gut me like Logan's on VMars (interesting they're both Kristen Bell shows) and I was glad it won the most soundly rejected plot point.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, blueray said:

Would Hamilton be eligible? It's a taping of the live performance and advertized as a movie. 

If it aired on tv (or an equivalent platform), we would consider it eligible for the music moments category, yes. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I was pleased to see Veronica Mars receive at least two "worst/bad" PTs.  The effort to make the movie/ep was great.  The execution?  Sloppy.

Golden Girls as GOAT reminds me of "Kung Fu Fighting" winning best song of the year ("Seasons in the Sun" was Top 5!) in the annual listener survey by WLS in 1974.  There were any number of truly great classics which failed to get the nod.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Are the only two G.O.A.T. winners so far (and hence retired,) Buffy, the Vampire Slayer and The Golden Girls? I looked in the Past Winners thread and only saw BTVS, but I could have sworn we voted in that category prior to last year.

I was disappointed with most of this year's winners especially that Succession was nowhere to be found as a winner or even a runner-up despite being a final nominee in several categories. Seriously folks, more of you need to watch Succession. It's fantastic! I definitely expected Kendall's rap to at least be a runner-up moment. (Admittedly, It would be hard to beat the introduction of Baby Yoda. Hell, even I voted for the little guy!)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bros402 said:

Did you try Good Place, or just never found it?

Probably TMI, but yes I did try it a few times and couldn't really get into it.  I think part of it is that I was dealing with several family illnesses/losses during the run of the show, so a show about the afterlife just was a little too much.  Maybe in the future...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Are the only two G.O.A.T. winners so far (and hence retired,) Buffy, the Vampire Slayer and The Golden Girls? I looked in the Past Winners thread and only saw BTVS, but I could have sworn we voted in that category prior to last year.

I’m pretty sure the category was only introduced last year, so Buffy and Golden Girls are the only two retirees. 

• Useful 1

I saw that the David Byrne performance of Once in a Lifetime won for best musical performance and was, like, "Oh! I really loved that...I'm going to go watch that again." 

I am more than peeved to have discovered that it was yanked from the internet. It's not on YT and the video is unplayable in all the articles written about the performance. 

Ridiculous.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, blueray said:

Wow go British Bake off 🙂. It's nice to see a show I actually watch win a few awards.

Word.  I submitted it for Best Theme Song and was thrilled to find out it won.   I don't know how much original programming is going to be broadcast in the coming year, but at some point when these awards are held again, I'm going to submit it for a new category:  "The Show That Always Makes Me Happy."  I've binged on this show not just during the shut-in but so many times I've lost count.  (Now if only Netflix could get the first couple of seasons!) 

On 7/11/2020 at 3:56 PM, Bastet said:

Oh good, my annual confirmation I do not watch anything remotely popular.  Another year, another final round in which I only cast a handful of votes

You're not alone.  Not only have I never watched some of these shows, there are an astounding number that I've never even heard of.  Then I find out it's on yet another streaming service that I don't subscribe to. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Regalbegal said:

Probably TMI, but yes I did try it a few times and couldn't really get into it.  I think part of it is that I was dealing with several family illnesses/losses during the run of the show, so a show about the afterlife just was a little too much.  Maybe in the future...

That's understandable - well, that's the benefit of streaming - you can always go watch it whenever you're ready

On 7/11/2020 at 2:47 PM, jewel21 said:

I'm sad that none of the shows I voted for won, lol. 

As Rose's support group refused to tell her on GG, "You're special!" 

• Like 2

Sorry, but The Golden Girls is barely a top-10 comedy.  G.O.A.T.?  🤢 🤮

Haven't seen the Veronica Mars new season yet, so I got spoiled, but I am happy with Logan's demise.  Good riddance.  Were there Scientology books in the car, too? 😜

• Like 3

I have to confess I had never heard of The Golden Girls before (I grew up in Europe in a non-English speaking country, so maybe that's why).  I looked it up when I saw it won GOAT, and it still rings zero bells for me.

1 hour ago, Sarnia said:

I have to confess I had never heard of The Golden Girls before (I grew up in Europe in a non-English speaking country, so maybe that's why).  I looked it up when I saw it won GOAT, and it still rings zero bells for me.

It's probably on a streaming site. It was a sitcom that started Betty White (maybe you've heard of her?). It is about four (well three) women living together during their "golden" years as roommates. The one character's mother also lives with them. The show is pretty good and holds up pretty well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarnia said:

1 hour ago, blueray said:

It's probably on a streaming site. It was a sitcom that started Betty White (maybe you've heard of her?). It is about four (well three) women living together during their "golden" years as roommates. The one character's mother also lives with them. The show is pretty good and holds up pretty well. 

6 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Sorry, but The Golden Girls is barely a top-10 comedy.  G.O.A.T.?

I don't know if anyone really thinks "The Golden Girls" is the actual "GOAT: Greatest Show of All Time." 
For example, although I didn't vote in every category, I think I did vote for Golden Girls for GOAT in the final round because: 

• it was a show I had been recently bingeing on Hulu during the pandemic and was a cure for my insomnia
  • I had nominated it for the binge category, so I was psychologically invested in seeing it win something
  • none of my GOAT nominations made it to the finals (e.g., Breaking Bad)
  • I figured voting for it was kind of an homage to Betty White 

Maybe next year the PrimeTimer Awards will get a little a little more buzz in the nominating stages, but, the nature of these boards (hundreds of shows discussed and, I guess, not very many nominating and voting) means that "Greatest Show of All Time" might need a title change.
Perhaps something like, "All-Time Top Winner of 2021," kind of like "ANTM."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe next year the PrimeTimer Awards will get a little a little more buzz in the nominating stages, but, the nature of these boards (hundreds of shows discussed and, I guess, not very many nominating and voting) means that "Greatest Show of All Time" might need a title change.

I'd like to see a bit more structure to the nominations process (Nerd alert!). Only taking the first 20 nominations meant some categories filled up with multiple entries from the same show, or just that folks who checked early got their nominations in while others who didn't get a chance to log on in the first couple days didn't have a chance at all. There could be some extra submission guidelines too - the only guideline for most seemed to be that it had to have aired in a given time frame. For some of the more popular categories there could be a bit more of a requirement. For the GOAT show, something about amount of time off the air, or pop culture impact, or binge-ability, or something.

I don't have all the suggestions off the top of my head, but would happily volunteer a bit of time in the planning or prep stages if needed. I've been around since the MBTV days and have highly enjoyed and appreciated the awards and challenges and "scavenger hunts" the mods have hosted over the years.

• Like 6

On 7/12/2020 at 11:28 AM, kariyaki said:

I ended up being more intrigued by the stuff I was less familiar with. Like Prodigal Son won for Best Season Long Mindfuckery and I hadn’t heard of it at all. I compiled the gifs and when I went looking for that moment I was like, oooh I think I might want to watch this. Then I binged all 20 episodes in two days.

This was me.  Most of the winners are yawners for me this year.  But some of them are great.  My own nominee is this category was a runner up (and really, really hard to try to explain for non watchers) but I absolutely agree with the winner here. 

re: The David Byrne win.  Again not my nominee, but man or man, the definite winner.  It is too bad it is no longer available.  I think I watched it like 10 times on repeat on Youtube right after it aired.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sarnia said:

The showed is more than 30 years old, so no need to wonder why you haven’t heard of it! It still shows a couple hours every night starting around 2:00am. It has a lot of great quotes and the 4 “Girls” are so different that everyone can find a favorite, which are why I think it’s been on the air for so long.

It also holds up remarkably well for something that was filmed that many years ago, unlike many of the greats that now feel dated. There aren't many sitcoms that I'd rank above it—maybe I Love Lucy and Frasier.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Primetimer Hall of Fame? It would probably be more accurate than GOAT, but like every other hall of fame we could still be outraged about who got in before others.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2020 at 4:40 PM, shapeshifter said:

I don't know if anyone really thinks "The Golden Girls" is the actual "GOAT: Greatest Show of All Time."

I do.  At least, it's one of favorite shows of all time.

On 7/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, shantown said:

I'd like to see a bit more structure to the nominations process (Nerd alert!). Only taking the first 20 nominations meant some categories filled up with multiple entries from the same show, or just that folks who checked early got their nominations in while others who didn't get a chance to log on in the first couple days didn't have a chance at all.

Yeah, when I went to make my nominations, some categories were already full.  I can understand them not wanting to wade through 35 pages of nominees, but I imagine the results would be a bit different if the nominations had been done differently.

Edited by janie jones
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, janie jones said:
On 7/14/2020 at 6:40 PM, shapeshifter said:

Yeah, when I went to make my nominations, some categories were already full.  I can understand them not wanting to wade through 35 pages of nominees, but I imagine the results would be a bit different if the nominations had been done differently.

Your post, @janie jones, makes me totally rethink my conclusions about the awards. 
I find it surprising and fascinating that you both really do consider "Golden Girls" to be a "Greatest Show of All Time" and yet you were unable to nominate your favorites.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, janie jones said:

So do I. There are very few shows that make me laugh as hard as Golden Girls. There are probably some other shows that I would put above it but they weren’t nominated. I don’t remember the whole list but most of them seemed too new to be considered GOAT yet. In my mind you need to see how a show ages first. 

On 7/14/2020 at 6:54 PM, shantown said:

I'd like to see a bit more structure to the nominations process (Nerd alert!). Only taking the first 20 nominations meant some categories filled up with multiple entries from the same show, or just that folks who checked early got their nominations in while others who didn't get a chance to log on in the first couple days didn't have a chance at all. There could be some extra submission guidelines too - the only guideline for most seemed to be that it had to have aired in a given time frame. For some of the more popular categories there could be a bit more of a requirement. For the GOAT show, something about amount of time off the air, or pop culture impact, or binge-ability, or something.

I’d really like to see the number of nominations each person is allowed reduced. 20 total seems like a good amount but with 3 per person all the spots could be filled after 7 people. 

• Like 2

Yikes, I wasn't even aware of these awards. But I could not disagree more about The Golden Girls....in my opinion, one of the WORST shows of all time...not one likable character (and yes, that includes the Betty White character)...badly written, acted, and totally unfunny!!

• Surprise 1

I have hope that next year's G.O.A.T. will be one of the all-time greatest TV shows. I looked at the past winners thread and this year's winner, The Golden Girls, was the runner-up in last year's G.O.A.T. category. This year's runner-up is M*A*S*H, which I have voted for two years running now. I'm hoping the third time's the charm for this worthy show.

• Like 2

I wasn't aware of these awards.  Just stumbled upon it.

There are dozens of sitcoms I'd place above The Golden Girls.  The Golden Girls is a very funny show, but it wouldn't be in my Top 10 or even Top 20.  I'd pick The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, All in the Family, Taxi, MASH, Frasier, Cheers, etc.

I watched the first season of The Good Place when it first aired.  I thought it was well done and creative, but not enough to watch the second season.

I'm stunned that Family Guy won for worst animated show.  I love Family Guy.  Been watching it for years.  Some of my favorite episodes I've watched a half dozen times each.  And I'm a 64-year old female.  😆 

• Like 1