Type keyword(s) to search

Tough As Nails - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Tough As Nails Tip:  try to be in the second wave, in case the whole thing falls apart before the midpoint.

Smart to have the window washing challenge be a paired effort.  I'm sure more than one Tough Nail would have taken his/her chances with the final test rather than heave over the side of that building.   My stomach was clenched just watching it on a tiny screen.

I'm not sure making them charge up five flights of stairs should have been part of the window washing challenge.  Definitely a disadvantage to portly Mr. Train.

I'm curious what would have happened if someone reached the last window and didn't have sufficient water left to clean?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, candall said:

Smart to have the window washing challenge be a paired effort.  I'm sure more than one Tough Nail would have taken his/her chances with the final test rather than heave over the side of that building.   My stomach was clenched just watching it on a tiny screen.

I'm not sure making them charge up five flights of stairs should have been part of the window washing challenge.  Definitely a disadvantage to portly Mr. Train.

I'm curious what would have happened if someone reached the last window and didn't have sufficient water left to clean?

Yes X3.  I'm afraid of heights so just looking at the shots over the wall down to the street was making me queasy.  I'll bet more than one of the contestants was relieved when the end was called.  

I thought making them run up all those stairs in very hot weather and before a strenuous activity was asking for problems.  

Those water containers didn't look very big to me.  I wondered too how they would have enough for all the windows.  Also, I'm sure I saw one of them drop his squeegee but nothing was said about it.  Did they all have extras on their belts?  He continued to do windows.

Patrick was my favorite but I never thought he'd win because I figured his age would catch up to him eventually.  I don't know how much real time they have between challenges so I wonder if he'll be able to continue.  I'm glad they told us he was OK rather than make us wait until next week to find out.

• Love 2

I think the equipment was all attached by wires.

Poor guy. He was in pain.

I'd like to see a janitorial task. Cleaning and waxing a floor. Something like that. Removing gum. 

I suffer from mild vertigo. I don't think I could have done that task.

• Love 4

I’m wondering if they were still a bit dehydrated from the heat of the painting challenge. Running to the top of the building seemed like an unnecessary addition to the task and definitely contributed to the injury. It seems like the show is not being as careful with the contestants’ safety this year because this is at least the 3rd injury we’ve seen on the show. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Angeleyes said:

I’m wondering if they were still a bit dehydrated from the heat of the painting challenge. Running to the top of the building seemed like an unnecessary addition to the task and definitely contributed to the injury. It seems like the show is not being as careful with the contestants’ safety this year because this is at least the 3rd injury we’ve seen on the show. 

Yes, I was wondering if the challenges were more dangerous this year, or if the safety was lacking, or if the contestants just weren't as prepared or thoroughly vetted as they should have been.  I can't decide if it's one factor or a mix of all three.

• Love 4

I'm wondering if the filming took place in summer whereas season 1 was in winter and Phil just didn't take that into account?

Zeus didn't come off too good this episode. The "passenger" can't follow your rules if they don't know them. He gave off lone wolf vibes. Thought it interesting and encouraging that all the pairings were F/M. Then discouraged that all the guys went first. 

1 hour ago, bunnyface said:

Running to the top of the building seemed like an unnecessary addition to the task and definitely contributed to the injury

↑THIS↑  The initial run up the stairs was likely the reason for the aborted challenge. There really was no reason that they had to run (or walk) up five flights of stairs. That was more demanding physically than the window washing which was more mental due to the height and the rappelling from roof of the building.

In hindsight, due to his age and physical condition, Freight Train was at a huge disadvantage for the stairs run.

• Love 3

Yeah, I agree that the whole run up the stairs was unnecessary.  It didn't even need to be a part of the competition...they all could have just said "Let's walk it!"  But, the competition got to them, and I think there was a fair bit of anxiety there for most of the guys, which manifested in thundering up the stairs.  I don't see where there was any difference once they got to the top.  They still had to be rigged up, and all seemed to be ready to go over the side at nearly the same time.

I think this was a screwed up challenge.  I don't think production really thought it through, or maybe the unseasonably warm weather threw them for a loop.  That "dirt" on the windows seemed to be more caked and dried on than they were expecting it to be, and I'm sure that's a factor of the weather.  More than one of the guys talked about the water drying immediately on the windows and how hard it was to soften the dirt.  There's no way they had enough water in those buckets to effectively soak and wash those windows.  Not to mention didn't one of the windows open when Zeus or Scott grabbed it?  That was an unsafe condition right there.  I'm not surprised it appeared they shut the whole thing down as soon as Patrick had to be lowered, it was too dangerous and ill planned to continue.

You're right, Zeus didn't come off looking so good there.  I agree, people can only follow rules they know about, you can't expect them to be psychic.  Not to mention that it appeared that Zeus and Liz had worked out their strategy, rules, and communication plan prior to the window washing task, but then Zeus failed to follow the plan, leaving Liz guessing once again.

My other takeaway is if I were a taxpayer in Los Angeles, I'd be pretty pissed off about the fire department rolling a tiller truck, several engines, and a couple of medic units to an aid call.  The building wasn't that tall, and Patrick was already on the ground.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I love Phil but there is clearly something wrong this season when over half of the contestants that have punched out have done so due to reasons having nothing to do with going to OT.   I didn't think it was clear from when Phil said FT was saying at the hospital for observation if he'd be coming back to the team competition or not.   Maybe it depends on his health?  There was a scene in the van but where Dirty Hands says "we're 4 strong players" but I don't know when that was.  It could've been on the ride back that same day.

On the window cleaning challenge.   We often have some unseasonably hot days in LA in the winter months.  I get that they might not have expected that but by the time they got to the challenge they knew it was hot and could have easily removed the stair climbing from that part of the challenge especially since they weren't getting rigged until they got to the to anyway. That whole thing just seemed cruel and unnecessary.  FT was already saying he felt light headed before he even went over the wall.  The whole thing just seemed incredibly unsafe.  I would've felt bad for my teammate (guess that's why they did it in teams instead of just timed) but I'm sorry I would've tapped out at the beginning.  I would not have trusted the equipment or anything else.

I agree that it wasn't Zeus' best look.  On the lift thingy for the painting though he didn't leave her guessing he specifically told her he didn't want to expand the thing.  I don't really understand his reasoning but he seemed to feel strongly about it.  His reaction when she did it seemed a bit over the top to me. I didn't think what she did really effected much.  Not like when Scott totally just ruined the team challenge when Swifty was crew boss a couple of weeks ago.  I could be mistaken but I thought when Liz asked him to be her partner on the window cleaning he didn't really want to but didn't feel he could say no.   It seemed like he kind of forgot that she could move him with the rope (I thought he said something to that effect) and when he remembered he did start calling things out but that wasn't long before Patrick needed to be let down.

On the amount of response to Patrick - I know it looked like a lot of vehicles responding but was that just B roll?  When they were actually treating him I thought I only saw 1 (maybe 2) trucks parked there and just a few responders.  

I too want Merrell to be my friend!  

• Love 2

I liked Scott owning his fear and just gutting it out. I also like that he picked Meryl. The flailing around window washing was hard for me to watch. 

Travel RNs that I know make handily 6 figures a year, not sure why Celi is there other than to yell “pulse ox” at the medical team. I’m an RN myself. It isn’t “automatic”. 

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 2

It kind of annoyed me that Celi stepped in. If they hadn’t had a nurse there, the medics would’ve certainly been capable of doing their job. It seem to me that she was trying to run the show and not let the medics do what they were there to do. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

I love Phil but there is clearly something wrong this season when over half of the contestants that have punched out have done so due to reasons having nothing to do with going to OT. 

It makes me wonder if there's going to be a future for the show.  It's not looking encouraging right now.  Insurance costs have to have gone up, making it more costly to produce the show.

2 hours ago, ItsJessMe said:

It kind of annoyed me that Celi stepped in. If they hadn’t had a nurse there, the medics would’ve certainly been capable of doing their job. It seem to me that she was trying to run the show and not let the medics do what they were there to do. 

I don't think she was trying to run things; just that her training kicked in.   Person in need of medical assistance = cheerleader mode off / Nurse mode On.  Angel and Phil being bystanders, fine.  But the professional nurse, not so much.

Also, I'm sure it helped Patrick psychologically to hear a familiar voice that he knew was capable of helping him and/or explaining procedures while he needed help.  The other medics are relative strangers; Celi's an acquaintance/friend.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, SVNBob said:

I don't think she was trying to run things; just that her training kicked in.   Person in need of medical assistance = cheerleader mode off / Nurse mode On.  Angel and Phil being bystanders, fine.  But the professional nurse, not so much.

Also, I'm sure it helped Patrick psychologically to hear a familiar voice that he knew was capable of helping him and/or explaining procedures while he needed help.  The other medics are relative strangers; Celi's an acquaintance/friend.

That makes perfect sense, that she is a friend and he would feel better with her there. But I still think that her role therefore would be to be as a friend and not as a nurse. Stand next to him, hold his hand, reassure him from her professional perspective that the paid medics are doing everything they can. But they have a process for these things that does not include her and she inserted herself in it.

• Love 2

If Celi would've been on a plane, on a bus, or in a grocery store...she would've done the same thing. She did what nurses/doctors/paramedics/EMTs are trained to do in a situation like that. I'm sure the on set medics were grateful that she was able to pitch in and help.

Consider my voice an echo of everybody else questioning whether they ramped up the difficulty of the challenges from S1 to S2 a little too much. At this point, we have more injury/mystery eliminations than actual "I finished last or next to last and then lost in OT" eliminations. Unfortunately, I think Patrick and Iraida were screwed in that challenge no matter what. Certainly the 5 story run up didn't help Patrick...but he was carrying so much weight he was always going to have a much more difficult time stabilizing himself in midair.

From the previews it does look like (for a minimum of next week, at least) Dirty Hands will be going into the Team Competition 4 on 5. Whether Patrick might be able to come back in two weeks time...let's hope so, or I have a feeling the Team Competitions will be Phil trying to make blow out Savage Crew wins seem closer than what they actually are.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

From the previews it does look like (for a minimum of next week, at least) Dirty Hands will be going into the Team Competition 4 on 5. Whether Patrick might be able to come back in two weeks time...let's hope so, or I have a feeling the Team Competitions will be Phil trying to make blow out Savage Crew wins seem closer than what they actually are.

OR they could use the Survivor rule and have someone on Savage Crew sit out the competition to even the number.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, preeya said:

OR they could use the Survivor rule and have someone on Savage Crew sit out the competition to even the number.

I guess it depends on what the tasks are.   Can they be done with four on a team when 6 was the plan?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I guess it depends on what the tasks are.   Can they be done with four on a team when 6 was the plan?

Good point, I hadn't thought about that. Sounds as if TPTB (Phil & Mrs. Phil) might be in a bit of a bind.

This actually bothered me last season as well: Clothing.

The team colors are orange and black.  Some of these challenges are in the heat of the boiling sun. Dark colors attract the heat. I never wear a dark shirt if I'm going to be outside in the summer. I think that the team in black is at a disadvantage. 

For the individual challenges, they wear something akin to a uniform of their job. In some cases, their clothing seems ill suited to many challenges. I'm sure production is dressing them this way, but again, I feel that some are at a disadvantage. 

This season has contestants dropping like flies. Perhaps Covid is limiting how much prep and whatnot they can do, but it's starting to look like: "Not enough." I hope that Patrick will be ok.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 3/20/2021 at 11:10 AM, aemom said:

This actually bothered me last season as well: Clothing.

The team colors are orange and black.  Some of these challenges are in the heat of the boiling sun. Dark colors attract the heat. I never wear a dark shirt if I'm going to be outside in the summer. I think that the team in black is at a disadvantage. 

For the individual challenges, they wear something akin to a uniform of their job. In some cases, their clothing seems ill suited to many challenges. I'm sure production is dressing them this way, but again, I feel that some are at a disadvantage. 

This season has contestants dropping like flies. Perhaps Covid is limiting how much prep and whatnot they can do, but it's starting to look like: "Not enough." I hope that Patrick will be ok.

Yes, black vs. orange is problematic.  I only recognize I'm looking at part of a team if the person is wearing orange.  (Lol, I multi-task during the show.)

And every single week I ask myself:   Was it really necessary to retain the team names "Savage Crew" and "Dirty Hands"?

Finally saw the episode. Couldn’t keep awake, but that was more on me. I’m thinking the series peaked too soon. While the workers holdv5heir own, the main draw is still Phil . . . scruffy, scruffy Phil. While CBS loves appealing to the working class, I can see them cutting  Phil loose . . . regarding both shows.

Is Patrick out for good? Poor guy.

13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

While CBS loves appealing to the working class, I can see them cutting  Phil loose . . . regarding both shows.

Shush you.  Bite your tongue.  Keep your trap shut.  Put a sock in it.  Don't make me come over there.  

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, bunnyface said:

Shush you.  Bite your tongue.  Keep your trap shut.  Put a sock in it.  Don't make me come over there.  

It is literally Phil's show, he created it. I don't think they can get rid of him.

• Love 5

Did not know how dangerous picking oranges is. Will show my juice respect tomorrow morning. Wanted Iraida and Merryl to end in a tie, didn't want to see either of them punch out. I loved Liz's comment that she wanted to take Dirty Hands home with her and create a work crew. I'd hire them to redo my yard.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I was totally rooting for Merryl, partly because I have a lot of respect for all she's accomplished in life and partly because I barely knew Iraida was in the competition before tonight but I figured Merryl's age would catch up with her eventually.  After hearing Iraida's story about her leg, I'm surprised that she's able to keep up much less win a match.  She deserves credit for overcoming a serious injury.

I had no idea that picking oranges is a tough job.  It doesn't look as hard as some of the other tasks but I suppose climbing up and down ladders repeatedly in the heat is no picnic.

• Love 6

I can’t believe Phil once again could have changed the course of the game when he stated that one team had only 9 stones and needed one more.   That just isn’t right.   Luckily, the team was so far behind it didn’t make a difference.   

• Love 2

I watched last season and it was fine, but this season is bugging me. I feel voyeuristic watching people struggle so much, feels too 'hunger games' for me. Much as I like the contestants (Sarah and Liz especially) I can't bring myself to watch this anymore.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I can’t believe Phil once again could have changed the course of the game when he stated that one team had only 9 stones and needed one more.   That just isn’t right.   Luckily, the team was so far behind it didn’t make a difference.   

I know, I thought the same thing! He's wandering into Survivor Jeff's territory sometimes.

Edited by wintrygal
  • Love 3

Celi has been more determined, gritty, and willing to get dirty than I expected at the beginning. But was any Survivor fan shocked that she volunteered to sit on the Sandra bench?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/23/2021 at 6:46 PM, Lantern7 said:

Is Patrick out for good? Poor guy.

It sounded like he's only out because of the COVID bubble, so it's possible that he could return after a two-week quarantine.  But the team competition might be over by then, and there'd be no reason for him to return.

On 3/24/2021 at 7:13 PM, Quickbeam said:

Why, oh why are they laying sod in a desert? Argh. 

Because it's a tract of McMansions in SoCal.  Lawns are part of the whole deal.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:47 PM, Grizzly said:

Did not know how dangerous picking oranges is.

Normally it's not as dangerous as this.  There's not usually a racing factor involved, so there's not typically all the running around and trying to work faster than is reasonably safe.  That said, there's still the danger of falling off unstable ladders/trees, so it's not as if it's totally safe under normal conditions.

The whole competition though, mainly with Swifty's fall, is another tick on the column that makes me wonder if they'll continue this show.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:08 PM, mlp said:

I was totally rooting for Merryl, partly because I have a lot of respect for all she's accomplished in life and partly because I barely knew Iraida was in the competition before tonight but I figured Merryl's age would catch up with her eventually. 

My mother commented after Merryl's punch-out that Merryl probably needed the money the least of the cast.  She's a retired military officer, so she has a good pension.  So her getting eliminated isn't really going to be bad for her, and will end up being better for the one who does win in the end.

8 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Celi has been more determined, gritty, and willing to get dirty than I expected at the beginning. But was any Survivor fan shocked that she volunteered to sit on the Sandra bench?

Not exactly.  She is the smallest and least physically strong of the Savage Crew.  (Though she might be the strongest mentally...nursing is no joke.)  And that was a task that needed lots of strength; moving trees, bricks, hundreds of pounds of sod, etc.  It was logical for her to sit out.

That said, it was a mistake for her to sit out.  The main problem Savage Crew had on that task was one of communication.  And that's Celi's main strength in the team comps.  (Again, I attribute that to her profession.  Proper communication in a hospital can mean the difference between life and death.)  As we saw in the previous episode, she was the one that was double-checking the Savage Crew's painting job and calling out the mistakes.  And they were listening to her.  So she seems to be the core of their communication.

This comp, she was reduced to the cheerleading role she takes for the individual competition.  Which wasn't really helpful, because it couldn't be.  (To use a metaphor from Phil's other show, she was the team member not doing the Roadblock, meaning that she couldn't say or do anything to help the one(s) doing it, lest the rules be broken and a penalty be invoked.)  Without their primary communicator, the whole team's communication fell apart.  Leading to the chaotic situation we saw.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I had been barely aware that Iraida was in the competition before last week and I'd thought Liz looked like the strongest of the women so I was surprised by who had to clock out.  I was also surprised that the one woman (forgot her name) who is a brittle diabetic made the cut when the casting was done.  I'd have thought that the producers would have been concerned about liability when strenuous activity and other conditions like temperature and lack of breaks can have an effect on glucose levels.

I go back and forth on Scott.  Sometimes he seems very likeable and sometimes not so much.  I do think he'll be one of the final two or three.

• Love 3

Sarah killed it in the individual challenge. Either she doesn't have health ins or it doesn't cover an insulin pump. That would really help her out.

I have been rooting for Dirty Hands since season 1 but Angel and Zeus really act like jerks. Every woman in the audience must've been groaning when Zeus said we don't need instructions. They all talked themselves out of a win when they saw it was cars.

3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I have been rooting for Dirty Hands since season 1 but Angel and Zeus really act like jerks. Every woman in the audience must've been groaning when Zeus said we don't need instructions. They all talked themselves out of a win when they saw it was cars.

Not sure why but I've been Team Savage Crew though until recently I had really liked Zeus but the last couple of team challenges he's been kind of a jerk.  Angel just makes me super nervous.  He get so anxious and I don't know I just get uncomfortable watching him. It is nice how much they all support each other.

The thing with Dirty Hands and the cars was just stupid.  You didn't have to be a mechanic, they weren't repairing a car.  If they had just thought about it like a puzzle (which is what it was) they would have been fine but they saw cars, no Freight Train, and psyched themselves out.  

I know it can't be fixed but it is awfully convenient that both seasons the team challenges have gone to 4 and 4.  

• Love 9
7 hours ago, I Want My MBTV said:

The thing with Dirty Hands and the cars was just stupid.  You didn't have to be a mechanic, they weren't repairing a car.  If they had just thought about it like a puzzle (which is what it was) they would have been fine but they saw cars, no Freight Train, and psyched themselves out.  

Precisely.  That was one of the reasons that Dirty Hands lost that team challenge; they walked into it with a defeatist attitude.  That made their loss a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The other reason they lost is the same reason Savage Crew lost in the previous challenge; lack of communication.  Whereas Savage Crew did communicate well this time.  When Phil said that the Dirty Hands car looked like the Savage Crew's lawn, that was actually a metaphor for both competitions.

• Love 5
On 3/25/2021 at 12:08 AM, mlp said:

I had no idea that picking oranges is a tough job.  It doesn't look as hard as some of the other tasks but I suppose climbing up and down ladders repeatedly in the heat is no picnic.

One of my summer jobs on the farm I grew up on was picking cherries. My brother and I, both up on ladders on different trees, listening to a transistor radio. It was June, so hot but not like August, and we weren’t racing. Usually took us 4 or 5 days to pick all we could from just three trees. Great respect for orange pickers, and all harvest laborers - they work hard under unpleasant conditions often.

• Love 9
On 4/1/2021 at 11:57 PM, SVNBob said:

Precisely.  That was one of the reasons that Dirty Hands lost that team challenge; they walked into it with a defeatist attitude.  That made their loss a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The other reason they lost is the same reason Savage Crew lost in the previous challenge; lack of communication.  Whereas Savage Crew did communicate well this time.  When Phil said that the Dirty Hands car looked like the Savage Crew's lawn, that was actually a metaphor for both competitions.

Angel was the main culprit in the lack of communication area. His performance was dreadful.

• Love 1

I'm sorry Liz is out, she was my favorite.  I like these kind of challenges, that require patience and strategy, not just brute force.  And no dangling from windows in the massive heat.

• Love 1

So great to see Danny and Lee again! Hope that doesn't mean Murph is showing up next week. Really want Sarah to make the finale. Have to hand it to Savage Crew, they crushed the drywalling.

• Love 1

I really need to stop underestimating these women because Sarah is straight kicking ass and I LOVE it.  And I was screaming at the TV how devastating a mistake it was for Swifty to sit out on a challenge that had such heavy materials.  And then Savage Crew and my girl Celi, whooped that ass!  Celi cracks me up----tiniest thing out there with the most hype.  And I really thought Iraida would knock Swifty out of OT.  All of those ladies are really great competitors.

I still think Zeus is the man to beat in the end.  Zeus or Scott.  

• Love 2

Danny was my favorite throughout the whole season last year so I was happy to see him again.  I also liked Lee a lot so I enjoyed seeing him too.  I think we have a good final four but I agree that the final 2 will be Scott and Zeus.  Poor Swifty is going to be absolutely devastated if he doesn't win.  

• Love 2

On 4/4/2021 at 10:09 AM, preeya said:

Angel was the main culprit in the lack of communication area. His performance was dreadful.

I hate to say it, but Angel was a deficit for Dirty Hands through the whole competition.  He was so easily overwhelmed and frazzled.  On that car challenge, Phil remarked that Angel was running all the way back to the van without bringing any parts, then he was dithering around right next to Liz while she pleaded with him to help her, but he bolted away.  The less said about Angel in the crucial drywall competition, the better.  Yoicks.

Basically it was three shorties on Dirty Hands trying to work around Angel's tight back and sore shoulders versus that ten foot Savage Crew dude who could stand flat on the ground and reach up with the power drill to secure the ceiling.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, candall said:

Basically it was three shorties on Dirty Hands trying to work around Angel's tight back and sore shoulders versus that ten foot Savage Crew dude who could stand flat on the ground and reach up with the power drill to secure the ceiling.

Angel has been out of the individual competition the longest, he should have been the freshest. Not sure why his back and shoulders were so tight.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, candall said:

Scott actually made that challenge unfairly weighted in favor of Savage Crew.  I think their structure should have been just a couple feet taller so as to require him to use elevation equipment like everyone else had to.

Then again, it could have been worse.  Swifty's probably also tall enough to reach.  Had he been in play, either by not sitting out or if Dirty Hands had their full crew, it likely would have been an even bigger blowout for Savage Crew.

18 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Angel has been out of the individual competition the longest, he should have been the freshest. Not sure why his back and shoulders were so tight.

He and Liz said going into this final team comp that since they didn't have to save any strength or energy for the solo competition anymore, they were going to put everything they had left into the challenge.  Angel's problem was that he'd already been doing that in every competition up to that point.  It all finally caught up to him at the worst possible time.

• Love 2

All the women out except one.  Only one man eliminated by a challenge.    

Last season, 3 of the final 4 were men.  Same this season.  If Sarah doesn't win this, the producers' really need to look at some of the tasks and rethink what  "tough' means

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Fretful said:

Only one man eliminated by a challenge.    

If you count Freight Train, it's technically two.  But yeah, only one eliminated in Overtime, as opposed to 4 or 5 women. 

32 minutes ago, Fretful said:

Last season, 3 of the final 4 were men.  Same this season.

But what's interesting to me is that 3 of the F4 have never been to Overtime; only Swifty has.  Last season, at least two had.

• Love 2