Type keyword(s) to search

Tough As Nails - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm going to miss this show.... flaws and all. It was nice to see competition where it didn't turn personal or nasty. A well-deserved win for Lia, who was impressive from the get-go. I would have been okay with any of the final 3 (or 4, really) winning. Well done Phil and gang... see you in Jan. for TAR.

• Love 3

I found myself wanting to go visit with Lia’s animals. Lol They were just too cute. Good for her for winning the whole thing. I like the changes they made this year. Skill is what the show is about and I think that’s what the final challenge should reflect. It was a good season with great competitors. I’m glad they all became so close. 

• Love 4

I'm only tough as Gummy Bears, so I was leaking tears as Lia pulled ahead and then clawed her way up the rope ladder.  Seeing her with her animals ramped up my outflow.  Well done, woman.

I hope there's a secret payout for the other two finalists, like Survivor.  $200,000 is life-changing money and it's wrenching to see their dreams crushed to dust.

I complained bitterly in the beginning, but I take it back.  The show ultimately did a pretty good job finding "tough" challenges that weren't based on muscle mass.   I'm still a little bit retroactively shocked that it wasn't Mike driving away in that truck.

In the future, we probably don't need any more helicopter crop duster pilots.  It's definitely an impressive skill, but you'd think the most important element would be the ability to stay calm and keep your wits about you in a clinch.  [Guess not.]

• Love 4

I'm very happy Lia won.  I'm equally happy never to see Kelsey again.

I wonder how much Quincy "hulking out" at the beginning of the challenge played into his falling behind later.  He basically tore that wall apart with his bare hands and then slowly fell further and further behind.  I don't think any of it was something he couldn't have done well and quickly.  I think he just peaked too soon.

• Love 8

I don't think I've ever done as big a 180 as I did with Lia this season.  I am really happy for her and love the way she repped for us ladies.  

On another note, Jerome backing his skidsteer over that obstacle was seriously impressive.  I liked every single one of the competitors this season.  Take notes, Survivor!

• Love 6
On 12/8/2021 at 9:57 PM, Taeolas said:

Yeah, Lia pulled it off. I think her recognizing the ropes were slipknots were what gave her the edge in the end. The other two were spending a lot of time detangling ropes, while she managed to slip them free. 

Given that one of the biggest complaints about this series at the end of each of the previous two seasons was that the final challenge appeared to be weighted entirely for a male competitor to win, the cynic in me wonders if hers was the only rope system that contained slipknots as some sort of attempt to "even the odds". 

I'm seeing commercials on Global TV up here in Canada. Apparently they are casting for Season 5 of TAN and it is open to Canadians this time. 

The way Phil is talking it almost sounds like they want to do a Canada vs US; but I doubt it will be like that in the end. Probably 4 Canucks in total if they're lucky. 

Still, if anyone else is up here in the GWN, feel free to apply. :) 

• Love 2

With The Challenge USA coming in fast, I have to ask: is anyone bothered that no one from Tough as Nails got cast?

I'm actually okay with this. The other major CBS reality shows are represented, but I don't think there's overlap between a competition like that and the blue Collar Joes and Josephines we've seen. Also, they'd risk their livelihoods getting hurt while competing. And the only person I could imagine competing would be Drywall Danny . . . and that's only because he might bond with Derrick, the 5'6" Challenge veteran. Other than that? Nah.

2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

According to Phil, the next two seasons are in the can.  He also talks about why no one was on The Challenge USA

https://ew.com/tv/the-challenge-usa-tough-as-nails-phil-keoghan/

I’ll take an “all star” season over any of the alumni potentially hurting themselves on Challenge USA. Like I said, they got livelihoods to think about. I don’t see any of them trying to extend their fifteen minutes.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Why isn't this show posted on the main page?  It is a CBS major reality show now in The Amazing Race's Wednesday night PRIME time slot and hosted by TAR's Phil Koeghan. 

This is not some "other" show.  This is now a major CBS staple.

I move that this show be shown some respect and be moved to the main Competitive Reality front page where about half of which of the current shows shown I never have even heard of.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 4
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

This season will have Canadians... there's 1.

It's like when a band announces a "North American" tour and the only stop outside of the US in in Toronto.

That being said, glad this show is back. It's always a fun watch.

Survivor started including Canadians last year.  (None in the latest season). Canucks took both seasons.  Looking forward to the token Canadian.  

eta, just checked the cast list.  I don’t think there is a Canadian this year.  Maybe next?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tough_as_Nails_(season_4)

Edited by DEL901

Yay, it's back! Too early to have favorites and "ummmm, I don't know"s, but I have my eye on the guy who lost his brother (good) and young-gun who waited until after the competition to say that he'd done patios and concrete work (trouble).

• Like 3
15 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

This season will have Canadians... there's 1.

It's like when a band announces a "North American" tour and the only stop outside of the US in in Toronto.

That being said, glad this show is back. It's always a fun watch.

Wiki shows the contestant is from Ontario, California.

I like this show but it does that annoying thing that a lot of competitive show have the contestants do... go in front of the camera and tell us all how hard they work, that they're doing this to prove to themselves, they want to do this for their family, how they never give up, that everyone else better watch out, that they're stronger/smarter/more devious than they look, etc.   

I live for the day they let one of these people say that they just want the money.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2

The lady who was eliminated first was chosen just for her story. As an apprentice, she wasn't the best at anything, had no chance of winning, and was happy to not have to do individual challenges again. I'd rather see someone who can conpete.

• Like 7

I hope this season they stress doing the job well, and stop letting them half-ass stuff. Sure, you need to be first, but you need to have done it correctly.

I'm glad Ellery survived.

Edited by mertensia
  • Like 7
21 minutes ago, mertensia said:

I hope this season they stress doing the job well, and stop letting them half-ass stuff. Sure, you need to be first, but you need to have done it correctly.

100% agree.  That’s always been my one gripe. 

• Like 4

I only made it through 20min.  I can’t stand the sob stories that have become essential to all these competitive reality shows.  Whether they are driving a forklift, baking a cake, sewing a dress or making a flower arrangement, all the contestants are encouraged to spill their guts and cry. I get that it is some attempt to “entertain” or use emotional blackmail to get the audience to “connect” and root for certain people.  But I just can’t take it anymore.

I want to watch these shows to learn about a subject of interest to me. I don’t want to hear about medical conditions, weather-related catastrophes, childhood traumas, addiction recovery, or the struggles of being a single parent…whatever it is that is driving these folks to “prove to the world” they are some kind of super human for overcoming it by being on TV.

Like every person on the planet, I have my own stresses. TV used to be a way to forget some of them for an hour or two.  If I want some kind of cathartic release, I would watch a sad movie or listen to my angst-y playlist. 

• Like 3
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

So glad Renee is out. That was a day brightener. 

I should have realized it was going to be her when they rehashed her entire backstory from the first episode.  At least with Jorge they covered some different elements.

11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I want whatever they sprayed on Sergio's back. He went from writhing in pain to hopping up in the planter to tamp down the soil.

It was probably a cooling spray/muscle relaxant of some kind.  I'm pretty sure they have the same thing for professional athletes, but this would probably been an OTC variety.

12 hours ago, mertensia said:

Phil's father was adorable. So was Phil when he realized that he couldn't hurry him up.

The credits sequence, with Phil's dad talking about the plants around him, was bonus wholesome hilarity.

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

I'm watching, but I'm not caring about taking sides, rooting against players, or rolling my eyes and backstories. Everyone has had to deal with shit. The show is still engaging and Phil is still awesome. I'd watch "live" if I wasn't working, because I probably need immediate relief after watching The Challenge.

Why air the show at 10? Are two glorified game shows that much more important? It's like CBS keeps whispering to Phil to get out, but he's unwilling to take the hint.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4
17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Catching up now. In past seasons, how often have the full credits been shown?

I’m usually multitasking so haven’t noticed.

i did like the challenges since I know nothing about cars.  I felt bad for the mechanic having such a hard time but he seemed nervous.  I’ve been rooting for him and the other guy ever since Mister called them the three stooges.  Way rude.

Speaking of both the mechanic, Larron, and the opening credits, I noticed that he was the only one that didn't plaster on a cheesy (or possibly genuine...I'll given a couple of people like the apprentice carpenter lady that) smile during the sequence.  Everyone else smiled; he didn't.  I'm wondering if that's a clue that he goes pretty far.

1 hour ago, Quickbeam said:

I do enjoy the group and single competitions, not so much the sob fest that is the “heart strings” portion of the show.

Yep.  I am gradually losing interest in this show for that very reason.  It gets worse every season.  At first, it was mostly conversation on the vans but now it seems like they can't talk among themselves about anything else - obviously producer directed.  All the tearing up and crying over their care packages was ridiculous.  They've been away from home for a few weeks, not off to war.

It also annoys me that half of the competitors are women.  I am female so I'm not anti-women.  I just prefer reality.  According to Google, about a third of workers in the trades are female but the top ten "trades" include dental hygienists, estheticians and chefs.  Most people in the first two categories are female which IMO skews the stats.  And the show chose a couple women who probably shouldn't have been in the cast at all - a cute young apprentice (with a record) and a woman old enough to be the younger guys' mother.  I would have much preferred to watch people who had a chance of succeeding rather than a couple women added for what I suspect are other reasons.

• Like 2

I agree about the sob stories.  I hate to be "that person" but...we all have problems.  And I'm am sure the people who didn't get selected for the whow had problems also.  It shouldn't be a major part of the show.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, RunningMarket said:

If Sergio hadn't dropped his first box, I'm guessing he would have won the OT challenge. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about Jake that rubs me the wrong way.

I getcha.  There is something about him.  He seems to get excited and scatttered very easily in challenges. If he's like that all the time, that would be hard to take.

• Like 2

I agree that it's obvious that Synethia was chosen not for her skills, but for her story, and she did take a place away from a more qualified contestant. But saying that, I really like her. She has a great attitude,is not looking for sympathy, and if she's complaining, they're not showing it. I think there are two similar contestants who both bug me. Jake and I think Paul. Or Jake may be the only one, and I'm imagining the other. I am also so tired of listening to everyone's sad story. We heard it once, now shut up about it, and get down to work. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

If Sergio hadn't dropped his first box, I'm guessing he would have won the OT challenge.

I disagree. 

Jake won that OT because he was able to fill each box with a single scoop of squid, as opposed to Sergio needing at least 2.  And it looked to be the same with the ice.  That's how Jake pulled ahead in the long run.

It may have been a closer finish without the spill happening, but Jake probably still would have won by a couple boxes.

• Like 1

I feel that if you have problems with casting, tell Phil. I know he's probably just one of many people running the show, I know his word wouldn't always be the last one, but he would listen. If he were to ever say "people on the street" talked to him about the show (or TAR), I'd actually believe people came up to him on the street . .  . unlike a certain other reality host. If enough viewers say "Hey, at least bring in a few people who haven't gotten screwed over," maybe it would change.

Too naive? It's Phil, guys. Dude's a treasure.

Overtime was basically an American squid game. I was kinda hoping it would look like this. (Yeah, the skit isn't on SNL's Youtube, so I found the Facebook link)

On 1/25/2023 at 10:55 PM, DEL901 said:

Finally an overtime that didn’t eliminate a woman.  

Yeah, I'm thinking the whole "chop ice three times your body weight" was basically "We're doing this in case it's been all women eliminated in the individual game at this point." Semi-related: you can tell how much the players weighed just by dividing by 3. I don't think they'd mind, though.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:39 PM, DEL901 said:

It is called Tough as Nails, not Saddest Backstory.  

However, the sob stories are getting pretty competitive.

"You're mom died? Well, my mom died twice, and I'll up the ante, see your sob story and raise you with 'the second time she died, I almost died with her'! That's why I became a fisherman. Being on the high seas every day reminds me of how I nearly died in the bathtub along side my mother."  

• LOL 9
On 1/12/2023 at 11:38 AM, mertensia said:

Phil's father was adorable. So was Phil when he realized that he couldn't hurry him up.

Glad the guy was tough on the boxes. Because there is no excuse not to be.

My dad an avid gardener and biologist, would have been exactly the same!

And I was also glad the planter box guy was tough (and remained tough).

• Like 3
On 1/26/2023 at 6:08 PM, bunnyface said:

I agree about the sob stories.  I hate to be "that person" but...we all have problems.  And I'm am sure the people who didn't get selected for the whow had problems also.  It shouldn't be a major part of the show.

You can get through the show much faster if you just fast forward everything that isn't part of the challenge.  That's what I do.  I really got tired of the "you're so mature for your age" on the vans.

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Leeds said:

My dad an avid gardener and biologist, would have been exactly the same!

My father was an Organic Chemistry professor. He loved to tell his doctors the molecular weight of all his medications.

• LOL 5