Type keyword(s) to search

Season 11 - The Matchmaking Special

• Start Topic

(edited)

First impressions:

Yay for Karen, Armani, Olivia the nurse and Henry the former fat guy.

Need to see more of Miles,  his bff Woody, and Christina.

Yikes to Brett and his dating apps.  And matching him with someone that is iffy about kids is just wrong.  I don't care if they both own a million cats.

Don't know what to make of Amelia & Bennett.  Can't decide if quirky is good or just a total trainwreck waiting to happen.

Edited by CindyBee
  • Love 3

Is it really that hard to find 8 or 10 decent, honest, sincere people who are committed to giving it all? They could make a show get the applications down to 60 people then the fans meet them all in a big party of the men by themselves and the woman by themselves. Give them short cameos to introduce themselves, share their dreams what they look for in a mate and why they are getting married at first sight. Then we the fans rate the contestants...the lowest 10 get cut. Then 5 get cut and 5 more. Then the experts match whats left. when its down to 10.  Yeah I'd watch it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Okay, I’ll be brave and just say it: I adore Bennett already.  I would have absolutely loved him a lifetime ago, tiny house, hipster striped suits, and all.  I do wonder, however, if he will be too weird for marriage, for lack of a better way to phrase it.  Luckily, his bride-to-be looks just as “quirky” as he is, so maybe it will be a success.

Handsome Young School Administrator (I don’t know everyone’s names until at least week four) seems like a really decent guy, but I’m not sure his older bride will be into him given her reaction when Pastor Cal asked her about her age preferences.

I flat-out dislike Brett.  Wasn’t he the one who said he’d dated 45 different women?  I don’t like to get hung up on numbers like that, but he seems so aimless.  I’m afraid he’s going to deeply disappoint his spouse, who seems like a more-than-decent person.

I have no more hope in this season’s couples staying together than any of the previous ones, but being the sucker that I am, I’m here to watch it. 

• Love 11
51 minutes ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Okay, I’ll be brave and just say it: I adore Bennett already.  I would have absolutely loved him a lifetime ago, tiny house, hipster striped suits, and all.  I do wonder, however, if he will be too weird for marriage, for lack of a better way to phrase it.  Luckily, his bride-to-be looks just as “quirky” as he is, so maybe it will be as he is, so maybe it will be a success.

Too weird or too broke?

The quirky bride annoyed me. I wouldn’t trust her energy as my own doctor but she’d have good bedside manner for a pediatrician.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

Too weird or too broke?

The quirky bride annoyed me. I wouldn’t trust her energy as my own doctor but she’d have good bedside manner for a pediatrician.

Weird and broke!  I never said I had good taste, haha.  As for the doctor, I’m sure she’s lovely, but I would drive two counties away to see another one if I had to.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

I hope the cats don't fight when they move in together because that's gonna make a couple fight.  At least it's not matching a dog fearing person with a dog loving person.

On paper, some of these matches look like they could succeed especially the quirky couple because she's looking for a house husband and she grew up with her mother being the breadwinner. she's willing to be the breadwinner and her husband to be is clearly not in a position to make much money. I thought it was cute when he asked if he could possibly take her last name. Very unconventional on both parts.

I fear for the brides of the male best friends because at least one of those women is probably just picked so that we can have a story about best friends getting married at first sight. But I have high hopes that one or two couples could at least make it for six weeks. I hope it's false lead about the young lady that's not sure about having children.  I'd be a lot more concerned if the mail was not sure about having children. My experience is that many young ladies that aren't so clear about whether they want children is that they have been so far from any relationship that they could ever think about being a parent. Since it doesn't even look like they're going to get married they've decided I'm not sure that I want kids anyway. If they were in a great relationship most of them would want children.

I guess I'm just more open minded and I see nothing currently wrong with Brett. I'll wait until I see some evidence. Why shouldn't he have dating apps and what's wrong with dating 45 women? He clearly is ready to let somebody set him up because he must be picking pretty poorly from the apps. At least he's looking for somebody for real versus some of these other men and other seasons that were clearly recruited. I'm not saying that there aren't any men in this group that were recruited but they can't be as bad as last season.

• Love 2
(edited)

Brett will think Olivia is not fit enough(jiggly arm flab) Or pretty enough so that will be his off ramp...hello Zach.
Brett is obnoxious and arrogant, even more than  Puke. 
He thinks he is attractive. He made a point to say he dated FORTY FIVE women..Gag.

He just wants to show his ex that cheated on him that he got cast and he is a player....so there...

Olivia needs to be the second wife of a successful Older businessman or doctor...she could be a good step mother.
She better not tolerate Brett’s mistreatment of her. Do not be a door mat like Kate.

Olivia wanted a nice guy, she got Brett instead....rut roh....

Brett looks to stir up shit early and often...up to no good shenanigans. Predicting he will flame out early.,

Henry’s friend, Kristen...thought it was his mom....she just looks long in the tooth in a head on camera shot.
Why didn’t they work out 7 years ago when they first met...or they tried and it was like dating her brother?

Christina needs to be attracted to and hot for Henry from the get go....If not,  then this marriage will be a nothing sandwich.
Henry looks like Pete Buttigieg’s  Brother. Christina looks like Moustachly’s sister.

Henry, stop by Trader Joe’s a couple times a week to buy Christina bouquets. So easy to make her happy.

You will get sexy time Between the sheets with the Mrs. if you go to a proper florist and spend $$$ on a well crafted array of flowers....Christina’s engine revs for thoughtful acts of affection...she’s made it to 30 years old and has never gotten flowers from a man....except from her grandfather...that makes her sad and pitiful.

She's had multiple relationships and not even one stinking long stemmed rose....what kind of men have you been sleeping with?
She needs the full Romantic experience...strawberries dipped In chocolate, candle lit bubble bath, champagne to celebrate Wednesday, Whisked away for a surprise weekend...blah, blah, blah
I’m rooting for former fatty, Henry to be that romantic husband.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 6
(edited)

I find this new crew somewhat boring, except for "Looks Like a Male Tina Fey" Bennett. I wonder, though, about the compatibility of two quirky people, like maybe one should be the practical "Let's have a bathroom in our own place" type. Amelia is off -putting to me in her determinedly plain-Jane, never-met-a-comb-or-lipstick facade. 

Amani reminds me a lot of Deonna, the wife of Double-Oven Greg. She and Woody (hate the beard) seem well-matched. 

Christina and Henry look a tad meh, unexciting, normal.

Karen and Miles I can root for. He just impresses me as being rock-solid for someone special. 

Olivia has one of those faces that will seem "overweight" even when the body is not. Will Brett see her as a project, a love connection, or as Ms. Reject #46?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Amani can sew Woody’s flashy clothes.
Woody Needs to be the peacock in the relationship.
Square peg, round hole match.

Bennett is Matched and marrying his mother.

Amelia is her mother.

Calling Doctor Freud, Doctor Sigmund Freud.....Lots of baggage to unpack.

I like that Amelia is part Cirque du Soleil and a medical doc.
Someone needs to brush both their hair...it could take a while to get all the knots out of those rats’ nests.

Karen needs to not judge Miles by his age.

She needs to give him a chance to let him use his kindness to break down her high walls.

She may dismiss him and reject him from the jump when he says his age.

She’ll be pissed to be matched with someone so young.Another square peg, round hole match.

The gimmick was for bff Woody and Miles to be on the show together with their stranger brides. Wonder if they will be neighbors?

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Olivia wanted a nice guy, she got Brett instead....rut roh....

Yeah, guess she drew the short stick this season. Every season there is one really nice girl matched with a total jackass. Here is this season’s version. I really wish wish they would cut this shit out. They absolutely knew he was a terrible choice. Instead of poor Kate/Amber/Mindy, now we have poor Olivia. Come on producers, give it a rest. 

After last season I thought I was out, and then I saw the photo of Bennet and Amelia. I have to watch. I am done hoping for the best and am now just embracing this for the trash that it is. If some of them work out, it’s just a nice bonus. Plus I’m curious how the couples do under Covid circumstances. It seems a lot of these people have jobs in the medical field.

My initial favorites are Miles and Karen, Henry and Cristina, and Bennet and Amelia. Woody and Amani are my wild card (he seems full of himself too), and I have zero hope for Brett and Olivia. 

• Love 9
(edited)
On 7/8/2020 at 11:58 PM, Soup333 said:

I felt the same way. Quite annoying and weird. I’m definitely not a fan of Bennett either. I can see us fast forwarding through them this season

Edited by ShowFan
  • Love 1

Does this discussion include the Kevin Frazier special that aired after the Matchmaking episode? Because I was somewhat annoyed by the "super fans" from the magazines/online shows.  Well, just the one, Tierney Bricker.  Did not care for her 'insight.'

Otherwise, rather enjoyed having them place bets on who is gonna make it.  I guess the villian edit is already being given to Brett. Drama, drama, drama. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm also pretty suspicious of this Henry and his DEAR FRIEND Kristen. UGH. No thanks to that. If I were a new bride and there was this rather attractive woman already attached to my husband's hip, I'd have SERIOUS doubts. Not sure why the experts don't.  And why were there women at a bachelor party anyway?  I get that they are his friends, but for goodness sakes.  I smell producer-driven drama.  

Edited by cardigirl
Fixed said friend's name.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Agreed.

Thinking that producer shennanies will be a big influence this season because 3 of the couples may be as exciting as watching paint dry.

One couple has a good chance of turning into a shit show dumpster fire hurtling off a cliff before the honeymoon is over.

The last couple could turn into  Quirky Throwdown....Who is odder...me! Okay..top this!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, CindyBee said:

First impressions:

Yay for Karen, Armani, Olivia the nurse and Henry the former fat guy.

Need to see more of Miles,  his bff Woody, and Christina.

Yikes to Brett and his dating apps.  And matching him with someone that is iffy about kids is just wrong.  I don't care if they both own a million cats.

Don't know what to make of Amelia & Bennett.  Can't decide if quirky is good or just a total trainwreck waiting to happen.

Agree with all of this. I really really really want the BFFs to be as great as they seem, so of course they will both be creepy compulsive liars or have a secret family in another state or something. I am REALLY bothered by the pairing of someone who definitely wants kids and someone who "probably" doesn't. It's cruel, especially when it's the woman who is saying she doesn't want kids. She will get shamed and guilted for her hesitance, which is so unfair. Not all women have to procreate. Coming around on pets is one thing, but watching someone decide to scramble her DNA with someone because she's pressured to do so is just awful and makes me sad.

7 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I am done hoping for the best and am now just embracing this for the trash that it is. If some of them work out, it’s just a nice bonus.

Yep. That is all I can do anymore with what they give us. I have just stopped resisting and let myself wallow in it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, Suzy Rhapsody said:

Okay, I’ll be brave and just say it: I adore Bennett already.  I would have absolutely loved him a lifetime ago, tiny house, hipster striped suits, and all.  I do wonder, however, if he will be too weird for marriage, for lack of a better way to phrase it.  Luckily, his bride-to-be looks just as “quirky” as he is, so maybe it will be a success.

Handsome Young School Administrator (I don’t know everyone’s names until at least week four) seems like a really decent guy, but I’m not sure his older bride will be into him given her reaction when Pastor Cal asked her about her age preferences.

I thought he was off-puttingly strange at first, but it's true that he and hippie doctor are gender flips of one another. Neither would work with anyone else. She would love that she can be the breadwinner and replicate her own family structure and he would love that he never has to have a steady source of income and can spend all his free time on whatever passion project he’s working on that month, although Cal is probably right that none of them will ever go anywhere but I don’t think that matters to him. As long as Bennett is OK with raising the kids, they’re golden. It was adorable when he asked if he could take her last name.

I can already tell that the hot school administrator is going to be one of my favorites this season, so I hope something as negligible as him being a little younger than her doesn’t put her off. Frankly I don’t understand why women get so caught up in the tiniest age differences. I’ve had multiple friends who have acted like their relationships with guys TWO years younger  than them was some kind of cradle robbing embarrassment they were ashamed of, to the point where they bring it up almost every time you ask about their partner to reassure you that they had reservations about it as if they’re dating a college student! It’s so bizarre and I think once the younger partner is out of college and working, a gap within five years shouldn’t even really count as an age difference. I will be disappointed if she writes him off because of that. As a woman myself, I think we internalize and anticipate a lot of judgment that doesn’t actually exist, especially with respect to romantic partners, and even if people did judge, who cares? I think it’s all about the person and your dynamic together.  If someone stresses out about tiny superficial things like that and petite body preference dude, it shows that you are more concerned about optics and turn ons than who a person actually is or the potential success of the relationship. 

Looks like they’re setting up Brett to be Zach 2.0. No thanks. 

I am on the fence about Woody, but his friendship with hot school admin is really cute so I am hopeful. 

The woman who cried because her grandfather was the only man who’s ever given her flowers is going to be a total mess. She seems like she has a super unhealthy relationship with needing male validation. I think you can’t depend on a partner to heal your trauma and fix your feelings of abandonment, let alone pin that on a guy you’ve never met. 

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 7
(edited)
16 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

The woman who cried because her grandfather was the only man who’s ever given her flowers is going to be a total mess. She seems like she has a super unhealthy relationship with needing male validation. I think you can’t depend on a partner to heal your trauma and fix your feelings of abandonment, let alone pin that on a guy you’ve never met. 

And I'm wondering if Christina's mom is going to be a problem too as they did say Christina is an only child who doesn't know her bio dad.  Add her past relationship issues, she could be one big ole mess.  

Edited by CindyBee
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I'm also pretty suspicious of this Henry and his DEAR FRIEND Christina. UGH. No thanks to that. If I were a new bride and there was this rather attractive woman already attached to my husband's hip, I'd have SERIOUS doubts. Not sure why the experts don't.  And why were there women at a bachelor party anyway?  I get that they are his friends, but for goodness sakes.  I smell producer-driven drama.  

Yeah, that sure worked out well for Tres and Vanessa, right? 😂

At this point in the show’s life cycle, the entire show is producer driven drama. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

After last season I thought I was out, and then

they pull me back in....

Who doesn't love a Godfather quote on a Thursday morning....

MAFS is the Hotel California...You can check out any time you like...But you can never leave"

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I'm also pretty suspicious of this Henry and his DEAR FRIEND Christina. UGH. No thanks to that. If I were a new bride and there was this rather attractive woman already attached to my husband's hip, I'd have SERIOUS doubts. Not sure why the experts don't.  And why were there women at a bachelor party anyway?  I get that they are his friends, but for goodness sakes.  I smell producer-driven drama.  

Right?  What happens the next time Taylor Swift comes into town?  Does he go with his best friend, or his wife, or both? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

Right?  What happens the next time Taylor Swift comes into town?  Does he go with his best friend, or his wife, or both? 

Henry buys 4 tickets...one for Kristen's Plus One.

Double Date Night!

• Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Henry buys 4 tickets...one for Kristen's Plus One.

Double Date Night!

Okay, I got names mixed up. 

Kristen is the friend.  

Gonna be a long season. Whooo boy. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I can already tell that the hot school administrator it’s going to be one of my favorites this season, so I hope something as negligible as him being a little younger than her doesn’t put her off. Frankly I don’t understand why women get so caught up in the tiniest age differences. I’ve had multiple friends who have acted like their relationships with guys TWO years younger  than them was some kind of cradle robbing embarrassment they were ashamed of, to the point where they bring it up almost every time you ask about their partner to reassure you that they had reservations about it as if they’re dating a college student! It’s so bizarre and I think once the younger partner is out of college and working, a gap within five years shouldn’t even really count as an age difference. I will be disappointed if she writes him off because of that. As a woman myself, I think we internalize and anticipate a lot of judgment that doesn’t actually exist, especially with respect to romantic partners, and even if people did judge, who cares? I think it’s all about the person and your dynamic together.  If someone stresses out about tiny superficial things like that and petite body preference dude, it shows that you are more concerned about optics and turn ons than who a person actually is or the potential success of the relationship. 

I agree a couple years isn’t a big deal, but in this day and age, it seems to me that twenty somethings, especially men, live an extended party life/adolescence even post college. I kind of agree with Kevin Frazier that he is still too young. People that age on this show don’t tend to do well. I think there is a big difference between a 30 yo woman and a midxtwenties guy. After 30, it seems to even out. But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe he’s this season’s Derrick. We can only hope......

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sometimesjennifer said:

That is all I can do anymore with what they give us. I have just stopped resisting and let myself wallow in it.

Join us in the filth and mud....Plenty of room for you to get a proper wallow and rolling about....you are among friends....

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, sometimesjennifer said:

I am REALLY bothered by the pairing of someone who definitely wants kids and someone who "probably" doesn't.

I'm not too concerned. I remember, on their honeymoon, Danielle of Ricky Bobby fame almost panicked at the thought of being a stay at home mom and look at her now.

5 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Does this discussion include the Kevin Frazier special that aired after the Matchmaking episode?

I can't decide if I should watch this. I hate seeing what's going to happen, I avoid previews like the plague, so for those who watched it should I do it? Will it ruin the season for me or fill me in on extras? Thanks as always for your help. 😁

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, lu1535 said:

I can't decide if I should watch this. I hate seeing what's going to happen, I avoid previews like the plague, so for those who watched it should I do it? Will it ruin the season for me or fill me in on extras? Thanks as always for your help. 😁

If you want to be surprised and amazed next week with the official start of Season 11 then skip the Kickoff and save yourself from 90 minutes  2 hours of soul sucking teevee.....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Agreed.

Thinking that producer shennanies will be a big influence this season because 3 of the couples may be as exciting as watching paint dry.

One couple has a good chance of turning into a shit show dumpster fire hurtling off a cliff before the honeymoon is over.

The last couple could turn into  Quirky Throwdown....Who is odder...me! Okay..top this!

2 hours ago, sometimesjennifer said:

Agree with all of this. I really really really want the BFFs to be as great as they seem, so of course they will both be creepy compulsive liars or have a secret family in another state or something. I am REALLY bothered by the pairing of someone who definitely wants kids and someone who "probably" doesn't. It's cruel, especially when it's the woman who is saying she doesn't want kids. She will get shamed and guilted for her hesitance, which is so unfair. Not all women have to procreate. Coming around on pets is one thing, but watching someone decide to scramble her DNA with someone because she's pressured to do so is just awful and makes me sad.

Yep. That is all I can do anymore with what they give us. I have just stopped resisting and let myself wallow in it.

2 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I thought he was off-puttingly strange at first, but it's true that he and hippie doctor are gender flips of one another. Neither would work with anyone else. She would love that she can be the breadwinner and replicate her own family structure and he would love that he never has to have a steady source of income and can spend all his free time on whatever passion project he’s working on that month, although Cal is probably right that none of them will ever go anywhere but I don’t think that matters to him. As long as Bennett is OK with raising the kids, they’re golden. It was adorable when he asked if he could take her last name.

I can already tell that the hot school administrator is going to be one of my favorites this season, so I hope something as negligible as him being a little younger than her doesn’t put her off. Frankly I don’t understand why women get so caught up in the tiniest age differences. I’ve had multiple friends who have acted like their relationships with guys TWO years younger  than them was some kind of cradle robbing embarrassment they were ashamed of, to the point where they bring it up almost every time you ask about their partner to reassure you that they had reservations about it as if they’re dating a college student! It’s so bizarre and I think once the younger partner is out of college and working, a gap within five years shouldn’t even really count as an age difference. I will be disappointed if she writes him off because of that. As a woman myself, I think we internalize and anticipate a lot of judgment that doesn’t actually exist, especially with respect to romantic partners, and even if people did judge, who cares? I think it’s all about the person and your dynamic together.  If someone stresses out about tiny superficial things like that and petite body preference dude, it shows that you are more concerned about optics and turn ons than who a person actually is or the potential success of the relationship. 

Looks like they’re setting up Brett to be Zach 2.0. No thanks. 

I am on the fence about Woody, but his friendship with hot school admin is really cute so I am hopeful. 

I ride a unicycle.

Well, I drive a pedicab,

Well, I am in an one woman band

Well, I live in a tiny house that I originally designed for a play that has no bathroom

Well, I walk a literal tightrope

Tim Burton comes and slaps them both for the quirky overload.

Sadly, I am rooting for this couple. Being married to a doctor is no joke, particularly when they are in residency training. He need to be self sufficient person who does not need a bunch extra attention. If he is like that, then it could be a really good match.

1 hour ago, Meowwww said:

I am not a jealous person.

However, I once was set up with a guy who could not wait to show me all the pictures on his phone. Every single picture was with this one girl and no one else and this man showed me at least 100 pictures. He told me that the girl was his best friend and he could not wait for all of us to become the "Three Musketeers". I pretty much concluded he was not so secretly in love with her and she probably just did not return his feelings.

Needless to say, there was no second date.

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I don't know why I keep watching this show--the last two seasons, especially last season, were so bad, so sad, that I could barely watch them (I skipped the last few episodes of the most recent shitshow, in fact). There's reality show drama, and then there's cruelty and inhumanity. This show walks a fine line.

But yes, I will be there for season 11. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Kira53 said:

My experience is that many young ladies that aren't so clear about whether they want children is that they have been so far from any relationship that they could ever think about being a parent. Since it doesn't even look like they're going to get married they've decided I'm not sure that I want kids anyway. If they were in a great relationship most of them would want children.

I've been in multiple great relationships and not one of them made me want to have children.  Young women can (and should) make up their mind about having children regardless of external circumstances.

3 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

As a woman myself, I think we internalize and anticipate a lot of judgment that doesn’t actually exist, especially with respect to romantic partners, and even if people did judge, who cares?

Mr. Outlier is 10 years younger than I am (41 and 31 when we met more than 20 years ago), and I can't say if people judge me but they do notice and comments have been made.  I've chosen to embrace it.  Did the same thing when I dated a guy shorter than I am--decided that it was just a display of both his and my confidence.

1 hour ago, lu1535 said:
4 hours ago, sometimesjennifer said:

I am REALLY bothered by the pairing of someone who definitely wants kids and someone who "probably" doesn't. It's cruel, especially when it's the woman who is saying she doesn't want kids.

I'm not too concerned. I remember, on their honeymoon, Danielle of Ricky Bobby fame almost panicked at the thought of being a stay at home mom and lookat her now.

But Danielle's situation is just working out the details of what to do with the kids once you have them.  Not whether to have them at all.  Huge difference.

1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Well, I walk a literal tightrope

Maybe it's just because I've recently discovered that I need to hold onto a shelf to get up if I squat down in the grocery store to look at something on the lower shelf, but I was amazed at how she was able to go from sitting to standing on that tightrope.  No shelf to hang onto and no floor to balance on!  Ah, youth!

• Love 12

A few quick thoughts. I ff through most of it. Too much filler talk drives me nuts:

I was VERY disappointed that they chose two male friends to match up. It just kills the dynamic when the group is together. I got a feeling that these guys did this on a lark together. It reminds me of the Real World Seattle when they put two buddies from the Naval Academy into the house and removed the "seven strangers" from the opening. It just wasn't the same. 

I had immediate dislike for Brett. What an obnoxious douche. And what do the "experts" do? They pair him with a nice, sweet-seeming person. I feel sorry for her already. The theater guy is quirky and artsy and all and may be matched well with the quirky doctor but he probably barely earns enough to live on. That could be an issue.  Henry (?) seems anti-social and weird. He come across as a project rather than a husband.

I was confused by the "recorded message" at the beginning when the high pitched, disguised voice said, "I got a text that I don't think I was supposed to get." What did that mean? She got a text with the guy's name in it from what? a strange number? Why would that happen? Why did she think it was for someone else? Did the message just say his first and last name? They lost me with that scene. 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I was confused by the "recorded message" at the beginning when the high pitched, disguised voice said, "I got a text that I don't think I was supposed to get." What did that mean? She got a text with the guy's name in it from what? a strange number? Why would that happen? Why did she think it was for someone else? Did the message just say his first and last name? They lost me with that scene. 

Same. They kept making a big deal about how this happened FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MAFS HISTORY. What did? A person got an unintended text? A person discovered they knew their betrothed (not a first at all)? A person had their voice scrambled for extra drama? I don't understand what happened at all, but I am sure they are just screwing with us again like they do every season and it will end up being fine.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

If you want to be surprised and amazed next week with the official start of Season 11 then skip the Kickoff and save yourself from 90 minutes  2 hours of soul sucking teevee.....

That's kind of what I thought and then the 2 hours!!!!! Jeez.........Thanks for the heads up @humbleopinion

• Love 2

Once again Pastor Cal has reservations about someone and the other two dismiss his concerns. He's right about Bennett, he has no direction which will become a problem eventually.  What do Drs. Pepper and Viviana do? They insist that he would be a good fit for someone who is a doctor and has a career path. Both of them having an artistic side does not guarantee that they're a perfect match. As Cal said a good match on paper doesn't guarantee a good match in real life. 

So Woody is "the life of the party". Did they forget that the last "life of the party" was a toxic, abusive, mess?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, spunky said:

Once again Pastor Cal has reservations about someone and the other two dismiss his concerns. He's right about Bennett, he has no direction which will become a problem eventually.  What do Drs. Pepper and Viviana do? They insist that he would be a good fit for someone who is a doctor and has a career path. Both of them having an artistic side does not guarantee that they're a perfect match. As Cal said a good match on paper doesn't guarantee a good match in real life. 

So Woody is "the life of the party". Did they forget that the last "life of the party" was a toxic, abusive, mess?

Amelia want to be the breadwinner and that was what her mother was.  Bennett can make her comfortable on that one.  The fact that he has no direction I don't see as a problem for Amelia; she's got enough direction for both of them. He can take the low road and take care of the babies and not have more logical career path than that.  I think they needed this  show to find each other.  It would be a disaster I think to match them up with anyone else in the Universe.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, topanga said:

I don't know why I keep watching this show--the last two seasons, especially last season, were so bad, so sad, that I could barely watch them (I skipped the last few episodes of the most recent shitshow, in fact). There's reality show drama, and then there's cruelty and inhumanity. This show walks a fine line.

But yes, I will be there for season 11. 

Same, @topanga, same. It’s the tv equivalent of a car crash. Can’t look away.....

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, lu1535 said:

I watched it. Under normal life conditions I probably wouldn’t, but Covid conditions provide me with more hours to fill than usual, so here I am.

I gotta say, I kind of enjoyed it. I like Kevin (aside from his grilling Michael about Brandon a few months back), and the bulk of the show is him speculating on outcomes with some journalists who cover the show, along with a check in from “the experts” and some of the couples cam peeps. There is also a lot of repeat footage from the matchmaking special, with a little “unseen footage”. If you can FF that stuff the live tvl parts are entertaining. It’s like watching other people do what everyone in this forum does. 😋

He also quizzes the journalists on past participants, and I’m sorry to say I got most answers right to my shame.

Also, it was slightly cathartic to hear Dr. Pepper admit out loud that they had made some bad choices. It’s almost worth it for that alone.

• Love 6

I watched both of these episodes (matchmakers and Kevin) and find that I am at a table for one or two about Amelia and Bennett.  I think they will try to out "quirky" the other.  I also think they depend on their quirkiness to enable them to be the center of attention for which they will now be competing with their new spouse.  I agree with an above poster that they both need to brush their hair.  And, really Bennett?  No plumbing?  I guess he built his playhouse in his mother's backyard and she doesn't mind it when he comes in to use the kitchen or bathroom.  Reminds me of Tania and Syngin who lived in a shed behind her mother's house (90 Day).  And they too see themselves as super special.  I may be wrong and will admit it if they become endearing during the season and end up being a success.

Brett should never have been chosen.  A lot of you have compared him to Zach, but I also see a bit of Luke in him (and what was up during Kevin's special that we had to watch two different scenes featuring Luke?).

I'm actually looking forward to the start of the season.  Bring it on...

• Love 5
1 minute ago, seacliffsal said:

I'm actually looking forward to the start of the season.  Bring it on...

COVID contactless Hotel California check in completed.  A complimentary private cabana reserved for your use at the pool.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

But the experts can fix her up with a guy who wants a "petite frame" which apparently she does not have 🙄   I was thinking that a way they could improve this (if they were actually looking to make matches rather than mean drama) would be to give the contestants a little warning about things that could possibly be bad first impressions - like the guy being shorter (or having moles on his face 😄 ) They did it for Bobby about Danielle being older, if I recall.

9 hours ago, lu1535 said:

I watched the first 10 minutes - they showed a "scene from next week"  (see below) and then decided to show us how the first couple "got here" - literally repeating their scenes from the "matchmaking special" we JUST WATCHED.  So I bailed 😄 

6 hours ago, configdotsys said:

It was a scene from next week - they showed it in the "kickoff special" which followed the "matchmaking special."  I came here to deliver an angry rant about that scene but if no one's talking about it I'm afraid it will count as a spoiler, so I guess I'll just wait until next week 😄 

Here's what might be unpopular opinions:

1.  The 26 year old "school administrator" - 26 is awfully young to be a school administrator for several reasons. I'm just saying.  I liked him but I remember our last "school administrator" had some problems with honesty about his career and other areas 😄 

2. I don't hate Brett yet - if his 45 dates were meeting women he met online for a drink and they didn't get together again.  He was engaged and got dumped and hasn't met anyone else yet.  He could have reasoned that number out by thinking "2 years . . . a date about every other week . . ."  Zach was never my type (nor was his hair 😄 ) but I can see where a lot of women thought he was hot and gave him a big head; I don't think Brett is good looking enough to get that kind of treatment from the ladies.  Although I would take his looks to Mr. Blowout with a Brush any day.

3.  I can see the possibilities for Bennett and Amelia if they would both enjoy him being Mr. Mom.  But when he asked out of nowhere if he could take her name?  My lip curled and I judged him harshly 😄   

• Love 5

I admit I'm fascinated by Bennett and Amelia.  They seem like just the kind of quirky, artistic young people you'd expect to find in the Big EZ.  I agreed with the panel that either they're going to resonate in perfect sync or be at complete odds.  Of course my heart wants them to work out but I realize it's precarious.  Already I think she's the one behind the door who might have already met him before the show.  They may be that couple that everyone else thinks would be perfect together except they don't.  I worry that Bennett may be a little too spacey and out there even for Amelia.  After all, she has to have a lot of discipline to be a doctor, while he is in every direction at once and seems a little self absorbed.  He may be a little too ADD for her.  Plus she said she wanted a guy that made a living.  He does, but it's not exactly a single career.  I think she may need a guy that grounds her.  He may need a woman that grounds him too.  They actually may be too much alike.

Brett is obviously this season's booby prize and poor Olivia is the one chosen to get it.  He is so full of himself and obnoxious that it's hard to believe he's for real.  I think he may be a classic narcissist.  He thinks he's good looking - I have news for him - he's not, and I would have even said that before knowing anything about him.  If he looks like that young I can't imagine what he'd look like in 20+ years.  Yuck.  He has one of those thick, long necks that makes his head look too small.  He'd be perfect to play a Cardassian on "Star Trek".  He's probably going to think he's too good for her.  Having dated 45 women wouldn't be that crazy if he was meeting people online over the span of a few years and none of those women went past a first date, but why do I think that in his case either he passed them all over because he's too full of himself or they saw him for the douche that he is and were the ones to call it quits?

Speaking of getting the booby prize, it didn't get past me that Dr. Pepper almost outed the show on some of the matches not being "the best" right out of the gate.  We here already know that some of these people are deliberately matched for their train wreck value. 

The 26 year old is a cutie patootie, but at that age a 4 year age difference can feel monumental depending on the maturity level of the younger person.  In his case, he seems mature enough so I'm hopeful.  Woody, however, seems a little too smooth and into clothes and partying to be quite ready for marriage.  The woman they matched him with seems like the responsible type.  They tried to make the claim that she loves to go out so she would like Woody because of that.  I'm sorry but she was dressed in those instagram photos like she was going to a friend's wedding or the theater, not like she's going to some singles bar to hook up.  And I fear that he's that hook up type of guy.  We'll just have to see.

• Love 6
(edited)
22 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Amani reminds me a lot of Deonna, the wife of Double-Oven Greg. She and Woody (hate the beard) seem well-matched. 

Did you notice that when Greg and Deonna were interviewed on the show, you could clearly see his double ovens in the background? I sure did. 

Oh, and color me shocked that they used a clip of Dr. Jessica ‘counseling’ Jon and Molly. And she was lecturing Molly about not being honest. Pot, meet kettle. 

Edited by topanga
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, princelina said:

It was a scene from next week - they showed it in the "kickoff special" which followed the "matchmaking special."  I came here to deliver an angry rant about that scene but if no one's talking about it I'm afraid it will count as a spoiler, so I guess I'll just wait until next week 😄 

Can count on 2 fingers the number of Kickoff viewers so refrained from commenting and inadvertently revealing  spoilers.
But I know what you want to rant about. Out of an abundance of caution, let’s wait until next week.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, topanga said:

Did you notice that when Greg and Deonna were interviewed on the show, you could clearly see his double ovens in the background? I sure did. 

LOL, I noticed them - I never fail to notice them and mention them out loud too!  I had to freeze the frame because the phone rang and Mr. Yeah No had to get it so I got a good look at them while I waited.  Double ovens like that are not cheap!

6 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Can count on 2 fingers the number of Kickoff viewers so refrained from commenting and inadvertently revealing  spoilers.
But I know what you want to rant about. Out of an abundance of caution, let’s wait until next week.

I honestly can't remember what I saw in one show versus the other and it seems to me that some of what has already been discussed in this thread was in the other show.  Unless I'm really just that confused, which is possible, LOL. 😉

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

A complimentary private cabana reserved for your use at the pool.

May I exchange my spa service for the pool cabana??? 😂 Either way, looking forward to mingling with everyone at our lovely hotel - I hope there is a happy hour! Sadly, this is going to be my only hotel experience this summer ☹️

• LOL 1
  • Love 3