Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: Andi Then There Were Three

• Start Topic

I don't think she's worse than the others and it's true that B-ettes I liked better like Trista and Meredith also led their F2s on (Meredith, in particular, with the "we'll be spending Christmas together" thing--something anyone would take as a hint.)

Byron was the one who told his runner up that they'd be spending Christmas together from now on.  Meredith told Matt that she would be happy to accept his ring, knowing all along it would be Ian. 

(edited)
But, according to Andi, it's Josh she feels she can be completely herself with, even the less than desirable aspects. And we also see her bring that up in the evening portion of their date, as if she's really concerned about it. That she feels comfortable enough with Josh to bring it up is key to me as well.

I wasn't referring to just that episode. Back in the second episode I think, the week Nick didn't even go on any dates, when he and Andi talk at the cocktail party, she mentions feeling like he can read her mind and mentions just feeling like they connect on a mental level. She expanded that to their connecting on a philosophical level after their first 1 on 1. During his first group date was when she started talking about feeling the most comfortable when she's with him and feeling like when he looks at her and kisses her he sees exactly who she is. And she repeated that line multiple times after.

The whole passion thing with Nick didn't actually start coming up until Belgium. It specifically stood out to me because up until that point, I'd assumed what the editing was going for was showing her connecting on an emotional level with Nick versus having the physical connection/passion with Josh. Sort of how Emily's season was played out with Jef and Arie. So I was surprised when they started showing her talking about how passionate things were with Nick and how she'd never experienced anything so intense. 

As for the stuff with Josh, yes she mentioned him putting up with her when she's difficult but honestly, going by what we've been shown, Josh has been the one who's dealt the most with Andi's more negative side. I don't know if it's the whole "I'm not sure if I want to trust another athlete thing" but she's definitely grilled him and given him a third degree more so than others. 

I almost wonder if Andi's description of Nick as passionate is her way of saying he's coming on too strong for her.

Going by her facial/physical reactions and well her words, when talking about their make-out both when he came to see her in her hotel room and when he grabbed her first at the cocktail party, I find that hard to believe. Andi looked like she was practically tingling when talking about hot kissing Nick was on those streets of Belgium and how when he kissed her she felt like she could feel every part of him. 

So I suppose it's a matter of perception.

Basically this. The first Bachelorette season I ever followed very closely in the online fandom was Emily's and boy was that a hot-bed of crazy. The biggest thing I came away with from that experience is that anyone can see anything when it pertains to whatever guy/girl they're "rooting" for. Believe me I read enough body language analysis to wonder if Bachelor viewers were all a bunch of profilers.

For me personally, I've said it before, while I like Nick, I'm not invested in Andi picking him and won't care if she doesn't. I called him and Josh as F2 early enough and that turned out to be right. IMHO, I think Andi looks genuinely interested in both Josh and Nick which is why I was saying I was interested in hearing her reasons for why her heart leaned one way. 

Sure we can nitpick every gesture, body language, kiss but personally I watched both dates and yeah there was heat between Josh and Andi and a physical connection. But I really and truly saw the same with her date with Nick. I noticed Andi playing with Josh's leg and stroking his thigh all while they were speaking and thought that was pretty cute and maybe telling of their intimacy level. However when I watched her date with Nick, she's stroking Nick's leg and touching him in small ways throughout much of their interaction at night. When he's telling her he loves her, she's playing with his pockets, stroking his waist. When Andi kisses both Nick and Josh, there is no pulling back from her with either - she goes full in with both

And speaking of perception. Chris Harrison's blog for the week is interesting. I have to say I find it interesting how CH has always defended Nick even while the show, of which he is a producer, was clearly editing him as a villain. He's always maintained every week that Nick is not a bad person and is actually a great guy and we all know he hasn't had problems making it obvious when he was not a fan of someone - see Juan Pablo and poor, poor Brooks. But more importantly he sums up the Nick and Josh situation by calling Josh Andi's "comfort zone", what she's been used to and declares Nick the guy who will challenge her and push her in ways she's never known. So go figure...

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

Well, that's the thing - feelings can evolve.  It's why I tend to pay more attention to what's done and said later on, when the herd is culled and there are fewer contestants.  And it's interesting you mention Belgium as when Andi first mentioned Nick being passionate - I hadn't noticed that. But it's also the episode that sealed my belief that Josh would be F1.

She's also used the word intense to describe Nick, maybe that happened later as well.  I just have her facial expression(s) imprinted in my brain when they were sitting in that park, and Nick was so confident about them getting married.  I don't remember her showing much of a reaction, not even physically (as in a reassuring touch on his arm).  Andi doesn't really have a poker face, IMO, even when she's trying to.  That's not a knock against her, but it's why I don't consider her that much of an actress.  She has to be, to some degree, as the lead on this show, but I think she's been easier to read, especially in later episodes.  

It also makes me wonder if Nick started to doubt her feelings as well after Belgium, since he seemed to lack said confidence in this episode and really struggle with saying ILY, despite telling her he was falling in love with her a few episodes back, and that he was confident of her feelings/their connection in Belgium.  Or maybe the cockiness was more for the competition's benefit, when there were more guys around, than what he actually felt.  Who knows.

• Love 2

When Andi is with Nick, she is all rapid-fire interrogator....no matter how she claims they have "a connection, " she strikes me as business-like. When Andi is with Josh, she comes undone.

I personally feel skittish about Nick and I have some qualms about Josh, as well, but Josh and Andi are clearly light-years beyond anyone else in terms of winding up together, at least for awhile.

I agree! I also think that Andi's reaction to Josh's declaration of love was far more enthusiastic than Nick's.

I guess it's just an agree to disagree because I've found Andi more in interrogation mode with Josh and even as he's been no favorite of mine, there were times I felt bad for him. Sharleen's posting the dialogue from the day part of their date before HTD's was a perfect example. Andi kept making these weird passive aggressive comments while Josh expressed excitement about seeing his family and telling them about their adventure so far. Then there was that weird drama after the lie detector test. And then there are the times where she keeps saying again how it feels to good to be true, her gut feels concerned, etc. That's why he's had to go on and on and on about not being typecast. 

I got the feeling that Andi was struggling with the decision of which would be the easier thing for Chris to hear: "I'm not big on the idea of moving to rural Iowa and commuting 90 miles to work" vs. "You're a great guy, but I'm just not that into you." And I can see those both being hard, particularly where he's a farmer and essentially BOUND TO ONE PARTICULAR PLOT OF LAND THAT'S GOING TO BE IN HIS FAMILY FOREVER. If Chris is the new Bachelor, it'll be interesting to see if they have many girls who would be willing to forgo the modern "highly mobile, urban" lifestyle in favor of living on a farm, or if that angle turns out to be a bust and he pivots to the Ben Flajnik plan of "screw it, I'll just bang a model."

If Chris is chosen as the new Bachelor, do the girls know that ahead of time? I don't watch this show regularly, obviously, but I seem to remember guys getting out of the limo & seeing Andi & being surprised.

I think they should let the potential romantic interests know who it is before the show. In a case like Chris's, why waste time with women who would not be willing to live that lifestyle?

If the bachelor/ bachelorette is a surprise, wouldn't it be funny if one of the men/ women took 1 look & said " oh no, I want out!"

• Love 1

Byron was the one who told his runner up that they'd be spending Christmas together from now on.  Meredith told Matt that she would be happy to accept his ring, knowing all along it would be Ian. 

Actually, Meredith didn't tell Matt she'd be happy to accept his ring, she said she'd be honored to accept it. Maybe it's a very slight difference to some but she was trying to compliment Matt without making any commitment to him.

(edited)

Actually, Meredith didn't tell Matt she'd be happy to accept his ring, she said she'd be honored to accept it. Maybe it's a very slight difference to some but she was trying to compliment Matt without making any commitment to him.

No difference at all to me (then again, I remembered the whole thing wrong.) I think saying that was just like saying, "If you give me a ring, I'll be honored and accept."  Didn't she also do something misleading to Lanny? I can't quite remember, but it seemed my high opinion of her really tapered off by the end--Matt, and I thought someone else,too.

If the bachelor/ bachelorette is a surprise, wouldn't it be funny if one of the men/ women took 1 look & said " oh no, I want out!"

You'd think it would be, but that was pretty much Bentley when he saw it was Ashley not Emily. It was obnoxious and painful and not fun at all. (Maybe if it had been the other way it wouldn't have been so bad because Emily could have handled it. Ashley was just too kind and trusting.)

Edited by Padma
(edited)

OTOH, the Bentley thing really did turn out for the best: IIRC, JP had the one-on-one date scheduled for that day, which turned into "sit by the fire and cuddle" rather than whatever Bachelor-inspired craziness had been planned.  I am convinced that he essentially won her heart that night, and the rest of the season had more to do with her deciding who got to go on trips than anything else.  Given that they're now happily married with a baby on the way and working in "real" jobs far from Hollywood, I'm thinking she's over Bentley.

Edited by MarkHB
  • Love 3

This may sound sexist, but I'm thinking the women who are auditioning and cast for TBach will probably know a lot more about they whole deal than the men being cast for TB'ette.  I don't know show demographics, but I truly think more women watch than men.  I don't remember any women on the JPG season that seemed surprised it was him. 

Casting for the new Bach hasn't really started, though casting calls have gone out.  Women wanting to participate will have plenty of time to get info on who they will meet, and his lifestyle.  With all the info out there and the time between filming, there's no excuse for any person NOT to know who they'll encounter. 

• Love 1

It really doesn't matter whether she would be honored or happy to receive his ring, bottom line, she knew he wasn't the one, so why even go there. 

• Love 1
(edited)
This may sound sexist

It doesn't to me. This show is sexist, and many of our society's gender norms are sexist (for example, that getting married is considered so much more essential to a woman's sense of worth than it is to a man's), but I don't find your belief that more women than men watch this silly show to be sexist. It's probably the truth. 

Edited by jordanpond
  • Love 1

This may sound sexist, but I'm thinking the women who are auditioning and cast for TBach will probably know a lot more about they whole deal than the men being cast for TB'ette.  I don't know show demographics, but I truly think more women watch than men.  I don't remember any women on the JPG season that seemed surprised it was him.

Oh, the viewing audience is definitely more than 50 percent women.  And the Bachelor contestants seem far more excited about their season's star before even meeting him than the Bachelorette contestants do about theirs.  Not only because of the marriage thing that jordanpond mentioned but also--sweeping generalization alert--the average Bachelor placed higher in his season's attractiveness power rankings than the average Bachelorette did in hers.

Funny that Meredith Philips' name came up here - I swear I just saw her or her doppelganger pumping gas in a Kroger commercial last night!

I've always felt bad for the F2 - well, except Ben. How do they forget so completely that there's an excellent chance they're gonna be kicked to the curb with a ring in their pocket*? Perhaps Nick's sudden lack of confidence stems from the fact that Josh is the other guy left. Like, oh crap, he's her usual type and he's still here!

*temporarily at least - I'm certain production grabs it before the cameras roll in the departing limo

• Love 1

I have been away and not checking in for a while. But for those who said Nick's body is pudgy, go look at his latest Instagram picture. WOW…..that's my kind of body!! HOT!   @nick_viall28

• Love 1
(edited)

I finally got around to watching "On Demand" the 40 minutes of this episode that I never saw due to its pre-emption by storm coverage. Random thoughts:

I give Josh credit for speaking Spanish on his date. Either he's fluent in Spanish, which certainly goes against his "dumb jock" stereotype, or he's not fluent but was brave enough to engage in conversation with native Spanish speakers. Either way, well done. 

Although he did seem quite at ease with the children during the baseball game, Andi's assumption that this indicated that he would be a great father is frightening. She is aware that kids also need help with homework, get sick, need baths, get picked on by other kids, need help getting dressed, argue with their parents, get scared in the middle of the night...right?

Okay, I watch this show every season, and I'm finally going to be brave enough to say this: Despite the 8,562 reasons I would never be on this show, I do sometimes think about what I'd do if I were 28 and single and the bachelorette. One thing is that there would be no sleeping with anyone, including my F1, in the Fantasy Suite.

If Andi talks one more time about enjoying a man "taking charge" I fear I'll throw myself out a window. If she says this during tonight's finale, and I'm not here to discuss the show, you'll know why.

Edited by jordanpond