Type keyword(s) to search

Season Six: Jimmy and Lexana and Barn Doors, Oh My!

(edited)

Ah, season six. So much promise (oops, why did I have to bring up Promise?) followed by far too much what the hell?

Oliver Queen's abs come a knocking. (Welcome!)

Henry

Jimmy "James" Olsen arrives and springs for vending food after "not calling" five years earlier. ( Eww) Lois almost gets hit by a barn door. (So close!) Lana goes Luthor. (Sigh) Lex makes RealDoll(s). Lionel gets cozy with the widow Kent. (That Thanksgiving - I just can't...) Martha goes to DC (and Clark never calls)

I loved this season until about halfway through and then suddenly everything I thought was going to happen didn't and the dead horse they promised to stop flogging road again.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3
(edited)

This season had some great moments: Creepy Lex strutting to the "kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep" song, beginnings of Lois and Clark (my all-time ship, no matter who's playing them) Oliver, Aaron Ashmore, the return of Bart Allen, the beginnings of the Justice League.

It also has one of my most "love to hate" episodes, "Subterranean": Tyler Posey as the illegal immigrant kid who speaks only English with no Mexican accent working for the supervillain farmer who's killing the migrant workers he's enslaving. I think it's the combination of bad casting, cheesy villain and heavy handedness that does it. But it does have the awesome villainous Lex moment at the end I mentioned that makes it worth it.

Edited by bettername2come

I would have liked or loved the "Justice League" episode, if Clark hadn't been nagged, yelled at, to have been convinced to be part of a team and to destroy that lab.  This just set the pattern for future similar episodes throughout the series: Clark doesn't want to lead; he doesn't want to get involved. Is told by everyone HE is the LEADER, and he does nothing but whine until the last moment. Bah, Leader my ass.

That said, seeing Clark, Victor, Ollie, Bart, and Arthur, walking in slow mo, while Lex's lab blows up behind them was pretty awesome.  Am I forgetting anyone? It's been  a few years since I rewatched.

• Love 2

For me on Smallville, Lois was the anti-Lois. I love her in every other incarnation but I loathed her here. At best I graduated to a kind of embarrassed pity for the character. She was written about as bad as if someone IMO TRIED to write her bad. The barn door was lame enough inspiration (Why that? Why finally then?) but the Inquisitor??? The disdain for the Planet and education and real research let alone her cousins boundaries (fishing a story out of the garbage instead of looking for something of her own) it all left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Love 2
(edited)
Brought over from Arrow - The Quiver - Non-show discussions
They originally brought Oliver in for Chloe on SV? Huh, I had no idea.

It's my understanding once DC gave them permission to use Jimmy they had to figure a way to incorporate him and since Chloe was the only one at the DP and they'd implied years earlier that she'd briefly had a fling with him over a summer so, yeah.  Problem was Jimmy didn't fit.  He was a mess.  A weak character that needed Chloe to prop him up, needed Chloe to be weak to make him look better.

Chloe was light years ahead of Jimmy when it came to pretty much everything from being in the know to figuring out how to be in the know and so for her it was lie and pat him on the head. It undermined both characters.

Oddly enough most of my favorite scenes with Jimmy were when he was working with Lois.  Maybe it worked because both characters for a long time really only served as comic relief.  His character's eagerness and daring but clumsy puppy dogness clicked as a wannbe photographer and fit Lois's bumbling but brash attempts to go undercover or sneak around for shots. 

I had issues with how Chloe and Oliver was done on Smallville since Oliver had a big douche streak in season 8 that was pretty much brushed under the carpet but the actors had great chemistry.  I think that was AM's gift but it only made me want it for Chlark all the more.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Jimmy and Lois were freaking amazing. Really, Jimmy with pretty much everyone except Chloe seemed to work pretty well, and Chloe with everyone other than Jimmy was pretty good too.

I still remember that duckmilkproductions "Destiny" video that got me so pumped for the S6 that could have been. Yeah, there were moments of genuine goodness (even with lulzy moments like Lana shooting a suitcase open on a glass table and nothing happening to the table) but I feel as if that was really the first honest to goodness bait-and-switch season. Yes, S8's bait-and-switch hit me so hard it knocked the Smallville right out of my DVR, but that's a post for another topic.

• Love 2

I know I enjoyed the break up.  :D

Ok, it was well acted and I liked the song that played over their break up, but I still hold a grudge that Jimmy showed up with shards of stained glass and tried to pass them off as a he and Chloe memory when the stained glass window belongs to Chlark! 

--  I just went looking for the lyrics to that song.  It's Where I Stood. 

'Cos I dont know who I am, who I am without you
All I know is that I should
And I don't know if I could stand another hand upon you
All I know is that I should
'Cos she will love you more than I could
She who dares to stand where I stood

It in my mind fit the thought that while Jimmy loved her, it wasn't enough and that to be with him, she had to become someone unrecognizable to herself.

Oh I had such high hopes for that break up. 

• Love 1

Vessel: Clark and Chloe at the DP, Dr. Fine is messing up the entire world's electricity and everything's gone to crap at the same time. Chloe's telling Clark about some crazy stuff happening when he superhears a car coming for the stained-glass windows of the DP, he does one of the most awesome saves ever where he scoops Chloe in one arm while deflecting the car with the other.

Then kissytimes were had, but you asked about the stained glass, so... :-P

• Love 2

Vessel: Clark and Chloe at the DP, Dr. Fine is messing up the entire world's electricity and everything's gone to crap at the same time. Chloe's telling Clark about some crazy stuff happening when he superhears a car coming for the stained-glass windows of the DP, he does one of the most awesome saves ever where he scoops Chloe in one arm while deflecting the car with the other.

Then kissytimes were had, but you asked about the stained glass, so... :-P

I won't lie; my favorite part was the "kissytimes"!

(edited)

Yup...although that's actually not my favorite Chloe/Clark scene.

Well there's an opening I'm happy to walk right in. 

Taking to the all episodes discussion thread. 

Edited by BkWurm1

I love Promise.

It will never not be wonderful and hilarious to see Lex accidentally beat that doctor to death and then stuff his body into a tomb, all set to a soundtrack that sounds like it's lifted straight from Phantom of the Opera. The best part about it is that Lex is so legitimately intense all the freaking time that he actually IS kind of like the Phantom. I mean, now that I see the comparison, I can't unsee it!

Plus, the comparison itself is fun imo because Lex isn't actually hideous, even with the bald head -- except *posssssssibly* relative to the other LUDICROUSLY beautiful denizens of Smallville. It just makes me laugh to think of Lex as "the ugly freak" of Smallville, because DAMN, if that's the resident "ugly" dude, then I guess something inexplicable/alien/weird IS going on in that town. :P

But then, I also really like Phantom of the Opera. If SV had wanted to do a little episode-long remake of Richard III or Hunchback of Notre Dame, I would have been all over that, too. Those are some of my favorite stories! I've always got a soft spot for deformed, bitter outsiders who are desperate for beautiful things they can't ever have (power, love, whatever). Which probably IS why I've got a gigantic soft spot for Lex -- despite his supposed physical "deformity" not actually being a big deal at all.

OK wait, I guess if the scenario were that Lex = Quasimodo, then Lionel = Archdeacon Frollo, and Lana = Esmeralda. That actually works surprisingly well (except that Lionel clearly couldn't have given less of a fuck about Lana LOL).

Well anyway, in the end, doing an even more melodramatic riff off of an 80s musical (rather than a Shakespeare play or something) probably *was* the best choice for a goofy little show like Smallville.

There are actually other things that I like about Promise, but its weird !Gothic vibe is the best thing about it imo.

My least favorite season yet. Just too many bad episodes. Boring episodes! And a few storylines had me so confused and/or infuriated. 

Why did they write Clark like this? So passive, reactive? I love Clark. I want to continue loving Clark for the remainder of the series but I hate this mopey, love centric Clark. He's a hero and he's saved so many people so many times, why won't the show let him continue on that path rather than this sad version who just can't seem to get over his first love. I mean, I really felt for him because it's obvious how much he loves Lana and in the second half of the season, I even began feeling a little sympathetic towards Lana again but this relationship, the way it plays out, does not make for good viewing and doesn't particularly reflect well on the characters either. So much of this season was about this triangle with them and Lex that it totally sapped my enjoyment. I also hated what this storyline did to Lex. I get they need to get him closer to his eventual villain status but a fake baby? And murdering the doctor for those impulsive reasons? The 33.1 storyline for him made sense, but this weird need to keep Lana in his life at all costs, didn't. I also wanted to laugh and tear my hair out in frustration at Lana's indecisiveness. She loves Lex but she loves Clark too. She wants to investigate Lex but now she doesn't. 

I am so over Lionel. I really don't get him at all. Maybe I'm dumb. Really, because I don't understand how he's written more than half the time. Where is he coming from, I can never tell. And the other character's reactions to him seem to be telling me how to react to him like ridiculous thanksgiving scene in Rage. But it's not working.

I didn't like Oliver. I was so happy when he left. I hated that he got to basically tell Clark that he sits on his ass all day doing nothing when that's not true. That silly little relationship with Lois was also given too much importance, it didn't call for that big, dramatic breakup in Justice. Justice was a nice attempt at getting all the characters back and it was a good episode for Lex but I hated how Clark was relegated to a nothing status.

Has Martha left for good? What a sad little send off. 

I liked Jimmy a little better than Oliver but I did not like him and Chloe together. The overly cutesy thing isn't working for me. I don't think these two have any chemistry. I wonder if he's been written out too?

Chloe is meteor infected... Right, so by that standard everyone in Smallville should be! And her power is to resurrect dead people?! How lame! And there was practically no follow up to her kiss with Clark, even though there were these tiny little moments throughout the season where judging by the way Allison Mack played her expressions, it seemed she still had some sort of residual feelings for Clark. I still love their friendship though. One of the best things about the show.

I thought Lois was written better than she has been since Devoted. I like Lois with a sense of purpose and I particularly enjoyed her in Arrow, Combat, Prototype and Phantom. The kiss with Clark in Hydro was nice, it was a fun little set up but I didn't really care for the way it was done in Crimson. I just really hated that episode. Every single character in that episode was written badly and I wanted to smack them all. I did appreciate though how this season kept consistently writing Clark and Lois scenes together in such a way that atleast it's believable not only that they're friends but that they also care for each other. If ever there is going to be any kind of romantic set up for these two on this show, then a friendship is a surprisingly different way to approach it. 

I loved Nemesis! What an episode. So good that it seemed almost different from the rest of the season. This, and Labyrinth. My two favorite episodes of the season. Nemesis was amazing. All those Clark and Lex scenes were written so well! And Lana! Wow! I enjoyed Lana in the second half of the season. After finding out about Lex, I loved how she started playing Lex. Her hurt and anger being channeled like this made perfect sense. Kristin Kreuk, I have to say, really was the stand out actress in this season. 

I'm starting season 7 very nervously, lol. 

No one will EVER convince me that Clark didn't have feelings for Chloe in Season one--and that kiss at the end of Season Five? Clark showed more passion, was so much more engaged in locking lips with Chloe, than he ever was with that Pink Person. End of the World be damned.

It was why I was pissed that Chloe waved it off--even though, to me, it looked like Clark didn't regret it...hell, he looked disappointed that Chloe used the 'End of the World' excuse for it. And don't get me started on then introducing Jimmy. Blech.

If nothing else good can be said about this season, it is the wonderful friendship between Clark and Chloe.

(edited)

Stupid webpage reloaded and wiped out my long and very specific rant. Grrr.

Short version. I hate Chimmy. Turned Chloe into pod person with no self respect. Not only was he the guy that took her virginity and then NEVER CALLED, but she's constantly having to prop his ego up and dumb herself down so he'll stay around. It's like she glommed onto something "normal" and thinks since she's not, she has to hold onto Jimmy. Throughout their whole relationship she's always, always holding back and biting her tongue and pretending to be less than she is just to hold on to him. She gives him these looks like she thinks she should find what he is doing super endearing but it's like finding a puppy sweet. Fun to play with but there is no equal exchange of minds. She's constantly placating him and his insecurities and he later says horrid things to her and she just accepts it. HATE them together.

Gone are the power suits and instead Chloe is reduced to the soft and frilly and frumpy. And you know who gets the power suits? Ms Barndoor from the sky. I started seriously hating Lois as I watched the show systematically strip Chloe of her best qualities and reassign them to Lois. Except the brains, Lois never gets the brains and that probably made me hate her even more. Season six was just the start. Everything is just handed her until one day they are retconning her history as a reporter with things we actually saw Chloe doing!!!

And Clark right up until the Labyrinth debacle had seemed jealous of Chloe and Jimmy and we literally saw him framed out in shots as a triangle. It's like they just put down their heel and pivoted in a different direction. I still can't understand how Clark comes out of Labyrinth back in love with Lana when it wasn't even the Lana he'd ever know and she was marked with a blazing neon sign that read "Loving Lana Requires a Lobotomy".

I hated the fake baby because it was so clearly not originally planned as a fake baby. The show runners clear forgot Lex reacted to finding out she was pregnant when no one could see him.

Martha did get the shaft in her send off. I have a soft place in my heart for Lionel in season seven because he is the only one that seems to even talk to her anymore. There are times in seven when Clark is in DC needing info and they can't even write in a throwaway comment about checking with his mom. The actress was not happy how it ended and it took some persuading to get her to make guest appearances in nine and ten.

Chloe's meteor power were dubbed the tears of suck. Not terribly original but the prevailing feeling. How she was infected but not everyone else does get a kind of an explanation in Progeny. She was infected as a child. We also had heard there was a scene cut from the script that had Chloe and her mom on the way to Granville to see her grandparents the day of the meteor shower so that was kind of still accepted as canon. I wonder now if that's exactly why they leaked the sides even though they were never filmed. I imagine the budget wouldn't allow it. (At least I think it was a leaked script. There were some comics released around that time that were considered canon too).

I hated season six from the end of Labyrinth onward. (Even if I loved parts that were still to come) I still get that almost mad cry feeling looking back knowing how badly they try to ruin the Clark and Chloe friendship in the future...well at least until he and Lois are twu luv, (season ten) then they let them be open with their affection again.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

Stupid webpage reloaded and wiped out my long and very specific rant. Grrr.

I HATE when that happens! And I have to make sure I'm not using Microsoft Edge (Windows 10), because it doesn't have the "undo" to bring back lost text when you right-click.

Ahem.

But yes, Clark was Totally jealous. And I loved that--for once--he was the one pining for Chloe, even if they retconned it to his slobbering over Lana again.

• Love 1

Season six kills me for what could have been...what should have been. I had been sooooo certain it was building toward a big something and then I got the rug pulled out from under me and the dead horse came back.

Oh, the discussion of these next seasons is not going to be good for my rage issues. ;)

• Love 2

Ugh. So, Lois is up close and personal with the Green Arrow and doesn't realize it's her boyfriend because he's wearing a wee little mask over his eyes? Really? Ah well, these things are to be expected, right?

BTW, I think it's kinda telling that I watched the first three episodes of S6 a couple weeks back and when I sat down to watch the fourth one today I didn't have hardly any recall of what transpired in the first three. The show better get to it and get something that engages me soon.

On another note: I'm actually growing to like Lois. I found her funny at that party just blurting out her every thought. I also laughed at Oliver's, "that whole sugar and spice thing, it never really took with you, did it?" ;)

I remember liking Lois with Oliver.  Retroactively I wondered if it was me looking for something that wasn't there but your comment makes me feel like no, they were actually using her better at the time. 

Edited by BkWurm1

I think that's the thing, previously Lois wasn't really much of a character in her own right. She'd show up here and there randomly, but rarely actually was needed. I've never really disliked her, but just didn't see what the point was. They already had a Lois in Chloe.  It's not just the her and Oliver, but she's starting to follow her own curiosity with her writing for the tabloid. She just feels like she's more of a full character now. I also find her social awkwardness hilarious, for some reason. 

I should add that any positive feelings I had for her while she was with Oliver didn't stick around.  I remember ending the season fairly frustrated with her and season seven only magnified my issues.  

I just finished season six, and wow was I disappointed by it. I loved the first half (random aside, does anyone else feel like Smallville seasons get screwed up in the second half?) but the second half was just really bad. I loved Lex and Lana together (it actually made Lana bearable) and then they just screwed everything up. The fake baby storyline was dumb, and so was the whole Lana working with Lionel (that was randomly added, right? I didn't think I had glossed over something as big as that) thing. I had such high hopes for this season, and they were all just smashed. I hate Lionel, and I hate that everyone just accepts his "goodness" at face value. It made me almost dislike Martha, in fact.

• Love 2

Yeah, the Lionel thing with Lana was so weird. I mean, Lionel is willing to actively cover up Lex's murder of the doctor and seems to expect more strength from him but seemingly blackmails Lana to stay so he can protect Lex's ego only for it instead to be revealed that he wants Lana to help him bring down Lex? Huh? (Season seven will shed no light on either relationship).

At the end of season five I too had such high hopes. They survived until the end of Labyrinth when Clark awoke and instead of learning his feelings for Lana had always been based on an imaginary ideal, he decided he was still in love with her. And despite Chloe's death being the reason he lost all faith and the will to fight and despite the line "you mean more to me than you know" which in any other show actually leads somewhere, nope, nope, it's all about the Pink.

• Love 1

Yeah, the Lionel thing with Lana was so weird. I mean, Lionel is willing to actively cover up Lex's murder of the doctor and seems to expect more strength from him but seemingly blackmails Lana to stay so he can protect Lex's ego only for it instead to be revealed that he wants Lana to help him bring down Lex? Huh? (Season seven will shed no light on either relationship).

I don't understand Lionel, at all, ever really. His storyline this season made no sense, and the thing with Lana just made it weirder. I had really liked the idea of darker Lana, being in love with Lex, but the writers (or creators) got scared and ran back to Clana (don't get me started on Clana.) I mean, they retconned almost everything in regards to Lana and Lex's relationship and it was just so frustrating (I'm sorry, I'm rambling)

I agree with Chloe and Clark. I never really shipped them, but Smallville should have explored their relationship at some point. The last half of season five would have been a great time to explore that, or maybe during this season. I just hate Clark and Lana, it does so much damage to both characters and makes them both look stupid.

• Love 1

Gawd, if I wasn't already six seasons in and far bast the point of no return for me....

So, Chloe is meteor infected hu? Let me guess, she doesn't ever develop a power, but there will be the standard amount of hand ringing over the possibility she will? Oh, and when it's revealed that Lex nabbed her, the Lana wrath will be epic, I imagine.

Don't even get me started on the wedding episode. Between Lionel blackmailing Lana into the marriage; Lex killing that doctor in rage; and Clark deciding to tell Lana he loved her AFTER she married Lex...I just can't. Oh, and that baby is apparently...well, something anyway. Whatever. I give up. Lionel is never going to make sense and Clark will never stop moping over Lana and I'm going to keep watching anyway. Sigh

• Love 1

You know, I was fully prepared to step in here and take back some of my previous statements...but no, I think they stand.

First time I felt like Clark was Superman was that fight with Titus. I could care less about the fight club, but that fight was something to see. So, the sexy, tough lady clad in her Catholic school-girl attire will come back into play later, right? I mean, they focused a bit too much on her in the episode to not have her escape not be significant later. And, I'm sorry, who is it on staff who obviously thought Erica Durance's breasts were the hottest thing since melted butter? Goodness gracious. She's always being put in these absolutely ridiculous outfits--who dresses in a suit of red leather?--and the camera does love to linger in the chest area when it's on her. Isn't enough that I'm starting to like Lois? Sheesh.

Anyhoo, I really liked Progeny, even though I got hung up on whether Linda Carter was indeed a meteor freak herself. Does that woman not age? Right now I'm trying to pretend the fake baby nonsense wasn't in this episode because otherwise it was a solid and enjoyable one. 

And then they reel me back in...

• Love 1
(edited)

So, the sexy, tough lady clad in her Catholic school-girl attire will come back into play later, right? I mean, they focused a bit too much on her in the episode to not have her escape not be significant later.

It's not your fault for thinking that.   Actually she and Titan were crossover stars from the world of wrestling (which I only know cause they told us at the time) hence too much time focused on a totally rando character that we never hear of again. 

Your question about Chloe's power will be answered by the end of the season. I wonder what if must be like going into these episodes so unspoiled.  We at least had warnings.

The fake baby is such a huge let down.  And I stand by my assertion of it being a retcon.  There was no reason for Lex to act that happy about being a father when NO ONE could see him in the other dimension. 

Liking Lois probably will make the show easier for you to watch down the road.  I didn't have that benefit. Or at least I could never reconcile what the show was trying to shove down my throat in regards who they sudden decided she was going to be after so many years as a different character.  More time to think about it did her no favors.  Perhaps if I'd not had the time to dwell I wouldn't have become so infuriated. 

Progeny is great.  (Random fact:  Linda Carter offered to wear a blond wig but they didn't want that- Loved that we find out at least that hereditary madness wasn't her real problem.  Hated having that hanging over Chloe's head.)  In the ninth season there is a likely unintentional call back moment that's basically  a parallel with what Clark did for Chloe at the end as Moira was slipping away that makes me misty all over again.  

You will have more ups and downs as the season goes on.  Seven has so much great potential that IMO didn't get utilized but it makes for a pretty good ride overall while you are in it. (While still wanting to occasionally smack your head against the wall - hard! ) So hang in there!

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

The fake baby is such a huge let down. And I stand by my assertion of it being a retcon. There was no reason for Lex to act that happy about being a father when NO ONE could see him in the other dimension.

This can't be said enough. Out of curiosity, what do you think would have happened if they hadn't retconned it, and she was pregnant with a real Luthor baby?

(edited)

I have finished. I'm actually watching the second episode of season eight right now :)

Oops, I though you were DttyDotDot.  I'll stick my reply under a spoiler cut just to protect the blissfully ignorant.

Had the fake baby not been retconned, I have a few theories all variations on the clones and cloning technology that Lex developed.

One involves using a blank Lana Clone as a surrogate, transferring the real baby in to it so that Lana would never face the real risks of childbirth. Another variation would be taking a sample of the real fetus and creating a clone and then triggering a miscarriage of the real baby (though not letting Lana know the truth)

Preventing Lana from the risks of childbirth is the motivation for most of Lex's actions in my theories.

In both scenarios, Lana thinks she's pregnant the whole time. Maybe having to go on "bed rest" and then drugged so she doesn't know she's not really pregnant in the later stages" One day she'd be let off the drugs and handed a baby and told that due to a medical blah, blah, blah, she couldn't remember. Or maybe they'd be able to mimic the pregnancy and only have to knock her out at the end. (Tell her she was rushed to surgery). Life goes on.

The evil twist would be that the Lana clone would be have a mind all Lana's memories but be considered by Lex as disposable. (She'd want her baby back)

Another thought was I had was that Lana keeps the baby but he injects her with some modified DNA from his experiments that while intending to make the baby and Lana strong and healthy and prevent childbirth complications, it has the nasty side affect of making a monster (which arrives early and grows rapidly and has mommy issues)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

those theories all make a ton of sense. I wish they would have gone with those, it would have been soooooo much more interesting. They're really well thought out. I forget, did they ever explain why Lex made a clone?

• Love 1

those theories all make a ton of sense. I wish they would have gone with those, it would have been soooooo much more interesting. They're really well thought out. I forget, did they ever explain why Lex made a clone?

Why thank you. 

Nope. No explanations given at least for the

many many copies of Lana

We do find out that Lex was working on a super soldier program but that had more to do with experimenting with the alien DNA than making clones.  Lois ran into her should have been dead old make out playmate and he seemed to be the real man, not a copy since he had his old memories locked in his head somewhere.  In season seven we find out that Lex had perfected the creation of

A grown up clone brother and that there were a bunch of failed earlier copies that aged too fast.  No mention of the hundreds of duplicate corpses that would have washed up in the flood though.  Maybe Clark incinerated them along with all the fish in the lake when he boiled away the water spilling from the damn. 

• Love 1

Well, I finally rounded out S6 and I gotta say, "What the Hell?" Did I miss when it was explained what the fake baby nonsense was all about? Was it even Lex? I just don't get it. And Martha's just shipped off to Washington? How's that exactly work? Whatever, it doesn't really matter as it's the least of the nonsensical storylines...don't even get me started with Lionel.

Oh, but can I just say I really enjoyed Noir. It seems like Jimmy isn't very well liked around these parts, but I enjoyed him more than I enjoyed most of the other characters this season--although I do agree that he and Chloe had little to no chemistry, but I think that was kinda the point. Anyway, I found this episode a kinda fun look inside Jimmy Olsen's head. Interesting how close his "movie" was to "reality". I also loved they way the shot some of the movie portions of the episode. That car chase scene was so well executed to mimic an old noir movie...I was grinning so very much.

It's weird because I kinda feel like the quality of the episodes towards the end of the season were pretty good with regards to directing and performances, but the story itself was very, very weak. TBH, I really can't remember much of S6, hardly any of it engaged me. Oh, but Bizarro was kinda cool. Mr. Welling was ever so good in those sequences. And, interesting with Chloe's power, too.

• Love 1

I only hate Jimmy in his scenes with Chloe and for what his character did to hers. I enjoyed him away from Chloe. With her and I cringe, hard.

Noir is an interesting episode. As with a lot of episodes in season six, I enjoyed parts of it.

No, the fake baby thing never really gets explained but I guess Lex was behind it (I call retcon given his reaction to finding out about Lana being pregnant when he was somewhere no one could see his reaction thus there being no reason to not to accept it as genuine. If you go up a few posts, I talk about it at more length, including ways I'd wished they'd gone instead.

I saw those and yes, your options make more sense, except for the cloning bit. I saw earlier you guys were talking about clones, but I don't remember that, so I wondered if this was more the explanation in S7? But, truth be told, I really don't remember much of S6, so I could just be forgetting something to do with Lana clones. Were the soldiers supposed to be clones?

There were shots in season six that showed the scope of his cloning operation and in those shots eagle eye viewers spotted many rows of women with long dark hair in addition to dozens maybe hundreds of soldiers. The one that Lois ran into didn't seem to be a clone so much as a brainwashed guy (since he remembered Lois) but maybe he was supposed to be a clone and still remember Lois? Very confusing.

Season seven does off at least an explanation of what happened to Lana but there is never an mention of finding hundreds of the bodies in flood that season six showed us, so retcon alert.

Or was the flood shown in the opener to season seven. Oh well, spoiler alert, lol.

I m up to Season 9, y'all!

But let me just say that I find "Justice" to be the BEST episode in this season.

And Jimmy annoys me to NO END. Whether he's in scenes with Chloe (which are the WORST) and I join BkWurm in cringing really hard and in every other scene with him. It's his incessant insecurity and neediness that carries over during his entire run, that makes it even more intolerable. And the way Chloe says "You're my guy" in voice that lacks any feeling. Meaning, it's like it's rote.

Clark: Jealous, jealous, jealous! Totally wanted to explore that "moment" he and Chloe had at the end of the previous season finale.

And it's in this season, as soon as Lex gets and keeps Lana that he starts to lose his layers, and starts turning into a caricature of what a great character Lex has been these many years.  And I never believed he loved her; or if he did, it very quickly turned to obsession/abusive, the way he isolated her from all her friends, and wanted her for himself, in his mansion, all to himself again. That is not love.

As for Lana herself; not even with him for a month, and already she's an expert in blackmail? And How she is all she doesn't know how she could EVER have been in love with Clark. Shut your trap, you fickle, feckless, twat, whose head is so very easily turned.  So quickly moves in with him, and lives the life of Lex's next notch.

And then, then, so very quickly, guess what? She's NEVER stopped loving Clark! And the last few episodes are spent showing me that; but wait, she has to snoop into Chloe's computer and Clark's bedroom and barn to find proof that she thinks she knows his secret and also set it up so she can get it on her wedding day. That's love and trust, right there, y'all.  And also questioning that blind kid--where we learn it's Chloe with the Meteor ability.

Ooh! And even if he was being an asshole, I was so fed up with Lana and to an extent, Martha, that I loved "Crimson" when Clark crashes Lex and Lana's engagement party and reveals her pregnancy, not to mention what he says to Lana and Martha. Now, what he said to Chloe? That made me mad.  Though I have to admit, maybe it's the years since I last sat down and watched this, but when Clark gets the red kryptonite into his skin when Lois kisses him, that first scene, well, I felt the chemistry.

I still remain confused as to why Lionel locked Clark, oh wait. That was season 7. oops.

I know I mentioned it in another thread, but BIZARRO!!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciated whatever special effects the show did to make his voice sound more guttural than Clark's speaking voice.  I'm finding, watching the show back to back, how underrated Tom Welling is as an actor. And why he couldn't get cast in more than two movies, where he had a minor role, to boot, after this series ended.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Oh! Forgot to add that I love those scenes at the end of "Hydro" when Clark shows up at Lois's/Chloe's apartment, where Lois has been telling Chloe about her confrontation with the "Arrow" where Ollie showed up. It's when Chloe realizes who Ollie is.

But Lois is talking about how a great kisser Ollie is, and when Clark tries to interrupt, Chloe puts a hand on his chest to stop him and says "Isn't it romantic?" and then urges Lois to finish. And Lois says how the "Arrow" could teach Ollie a few things about how to kiss. Of course, we all know that it was Clark.  I think it was here, that the show wanted to tell us that Clark was starting to develop feelings for Lois if the look on his face, after he kissed Lois (toothy smile, fast breathing) was anything to judge by.  And also his behavior under Red Kryptonite in "Crimson."

But the show did a lousy job of showing us and the execution SUCKED, because they sacrificed Chloe to do so.

I enjoyed how much Chloe enjoyed mocking him.

A person can have a good kiss with someone they are not interested in and Chloe was enjoying making Clark squirm and Clark was looking horrified enough that I had no trouble believing Clark wanted none of that long term.

He's a guy so on one level he might be open to sex but a relationship? Yeah, he wanted to be nowhere near that. He could still barely stand Lois.

• Love 1

I know I'm supposed to suspend disbelief and all, so that I can buy or accept Lex and Lana as a couple, but ew, I just can't.  Possibly beause of her overnight change into a blackmailing sophisticated woman, who is soooo very comfortable living in Lex's world.  Or that Kristen actually speaks in a lower/huskier octave, so as to sound like older or more like Demi Moore or something.

Plus the fact that she's 19, and yet in "Reunion" comes off as someone closer to Lex's age; and Dear Lord, don't get me started on how matronly Lois looks. That hair. In a bun!  And that Lex and Ollie are in their late 20s.  I can't help but think, that Lana and Lois are supposed to still be teenagers! Okay, 19 and 20, but still underage. And I have to just close my eyes and tell myself to get past it, get fucking past it. But I always have problems every time I watch.

I think I could feel more sympathy for Lex if this stupid show hadn't "shown" us that he is now EVUHL. And to do that flashback to show his more vulnerable side, sort of, to me, was too little, too late. The tide had started to turn in Season 4, where I think, it started to happen after "Onyx", but he still had shades of some goodness left in him. Like the conversation he and Clark had about King David when Clark was telling him how much he used to look up to Uncle Luke* and we, or at least, I could see, okay, there's still hope for him. No need to turn him totally EVUHL. But alas, that wasn't to be, as we saw at the end of season 4 and 5.

And now the isolation of Lana begins. Npt that I care. But sorry, Lex, Lana didn't get hurt when she was dating Clark, because he was depowered and she never got hurt. She got hurt when she was with Whitney, and hey, when she was watching Lex in "Shattered"!

But yeah, plot point.  And I hate how alone Clark is this season. That scene at the end of "Wither" just broke my heart.

But I do so enjoy "Sneeze."  And "Zod." The latter at seeing the original Zod, Terrance Stamp's image as he was sucked out of Lex.

And Lana can just STFU with her jugdmental hypocrisy. She loves Jason in Season four. NO! She loves Clark! But nooo, she ends up in love with Lex and says contemptuously to Clark "I don't know how I could ever have loved you" in "Vessel" only to end up back in love wtih him a year later. She's always the grass is always greener type. I fucking LOATHE her and why the show insisted and continued to have Clark's BDA's ass in "love" with her, is beyond my ken.  Though I think by the time he got with her in season five, it was the idea of it, and whatever he felt wasn't real. Because it was Chloe he always turned to. And the way he looked at Chloe.

And I yelled Noooo! in "Zod" when Clark brought up that kiss. It was just like Season 2's "Vortex" where they both lied about what it meant and how they feel. They may have said the words, but I was looking at both Chloe/Allison and Clark/Tom's eyes/expression, which told the opposite story.

And Lois can also just fuck off with her newfound "love" for Journalism, writing for a tabloid, and acting as if Arrow had assaulted her instead of just taking off with her and letting her go without a scratch. Seriously, the way Lois was played, she wasn't a teenager, which the show runners insisted she was. But Durance played her like she was in her mid-20s.

GAH.

Okay, I think I'll just watch for the pretty.

*Tom Wopat who played the Kansas Senator, Jack but he was LUKE to John's BO!

ETA: Stoopid typos.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
On 9/20/2015 at 7:29 PM, BkWurm1 said:

I think that Lionel blackmailed Lana into marrying Lex because he was trying to isolate Clark. Lionel had been pretty instrumental in Jonathan's death, he called Clark "son" as much as possible, and he was about to ship Martha off to DC. Basically I think he was setting things up so that Clark was as dependent on him as possible, and isolating Clark from anyone else in his support system was part of that. He couldn't have Lana running off into Clark's arms.

He'd isolated Lex pretty similarly in earlier seasons of the show -- and I think that Lionel positioning himself as a father-figure to Clark was basically tipping his hand that he was going to try to get control over Clark using pretty similar tactics to those he'd used on his own son.

Plus, Lana's marriage to Lex fanned the flames of the rivalry between Clark and Lex, which was also very beneficial to Lionel. Lionel had to keep Lex and Clark at odds, because between Lex having the goods on Lionel and Clark being so powerful, Lionel couldn't afford to have them comparing notes (especially not about Lionel) or teaming up (especially not against Lionel). Also, as long as Clark was preoccupied with hating Lex and foiling his plans, Lionel could fly under the radar -- or even "prove" his loyalty to Clark by uniting with him against Lex.

I also think that Lionel was genuinely worried that Lex would lose it if Lana left him, since Lex had just been very frank about how scared he was. Regardless of whether Lionel cared about Lex as a person (which maybe he did? who even knows), Lex would be useless to Lionel if he had to be shut up in Belle Reve forever because of yet another psychotic break, so Lionel didn't want him to fall apart completely.

Basically, I think that Lionel wanted Lex neutralized as a danger to himself, but he also wanted to play Lex and Clark against each other because he thought that would help him gain/keep control over Clark, so he didn't want Lex dead or completely out of the picture at that point.

Edited by rue721

Interesting perspective.  I'm not sure I agree with it though.  

I do agree that he wanted to ingratiate himself with Clark but I don't think he was trying to pit Lex and Clark against each other for any particular reason.  He was comparing them and taunting Lex with his shortcomings but I'm not sure if he bothered to have a purpose any longer.  It's just something he did.  

And at the same time, he also wanted to protect Lex.  It was a complex and confusing relationship.  I think Lionel had some long term plan/goal in regards to capturing and controlling "the Traveler's" power, but I think the plan became really muddy over time.  I think your speculation works with Lionel's early plans, but once he was tapped by Jor-El to be his Oracle, I think he convinced himself that he was there to aid and serve the Traveler, but of course being Lionel, he did it still in the most shady way possible.  

Honestly, I think Lionel was losing his marbles at the end and acted in contradictory manner that there just is no logical explanation for.  

• Love 1

And thanks to insomnia I'm up to this season and not only am I peeved that when Clark is trying to talk to Chloe about their "moment," just as in season two's "Vortex," Chloe jumps in with the friendship card, or in this case, the world was ending card and that she didn't expect them "to hook up," and just like in that season, Clark pauses, then half-heartedly agrees, when it was SO OBVIOUS AND CLEAR here, that he didn't agree. Why couldn't he have just said why not? Let's give it a try? But noooo. Then that twit Jimmy/Henry shows up and ruins it. But then again, he also gives us a chance to see Jealous Clark. ????

And then there's the great fight between Zod and Clark, the iconic "Kneel before Zod" and the awesome special effects showing Terrance Stamp's Zod being sucked out of Lex!?

Oh, helloooo Ollie!!!??

And some more humor, that the show was lacking in "Sneeze."

And back to Jealous Clark when he asks Chloe just what she was doing at Makeout Point, and Jimmy/Henry shows up. I know what jealous Clark looks like and Tom and his gorgeous baby blues were demonstrating some very unhappiness over not having another chance with Chloe in "Wither."

Stoopid Writers.?????

• Love 2