Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Snatch Game of Love

• Start Topic

Shea was one of my favorites on Season 9, but I have to concur with folks that have been saying that she's acting as though she's owed the crown. There's confidence, which I can absolutely get behind, and then there's entitlement. That said, her Flavor Flav was flawless! Girl killed it dead. Wasn't in love with her runway look because it didn't read prom whatsoever. 

It was India's time to go. I didn't buy her story about Alexis campaigning to eliminate Shea, especially considering the timing. If she was lying, though, she really was trying to sell it until the very end. 

Juju's runway look was adorable, if a bit simple. I liked Cracker's overall concept but wasn't sold on the outfit. Blair's gender bending look was impeccable, even though it read a little bit like The Joker to me. Alexis' was... eh. I was surprised to hear Ross say that it was perfect. It felt like something we've seen before from several other queens, including Alexis. And like several of the other queens' looks, it didn't read prom.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, Stinger97 said:

Shea was one of my favorites on Season 9, but I have to concur with folks that have been saying that she's acting as though she's owed the crown. There's confidence, which I can absolutely get behind, and then there's entitlement. That said, her Flavor Flav was flawless! Girl killed it dead. Wasn't in love with her runway look because it didn't read prom whatsoever. 

This.  I was thrilled when Shea was announced, but she does seem to behave as though the others are backup dancers to her Beyoncé.  Her little breakdown on the runway felt very genuine, but at the same time, I can’t believe that anybody really saw her as a joke for losing to Sasha’s “So Emotional” lip sync.  That was just a helluva twist, that season switching up the way the finale was done and then Sasha coming out and gagging us all with those rose petals.  If anything, I think people felt a little sorry for Shea for getting screwed by the twist, and I guess that could come across in a way that hurt Shea, but...no, I don’t think the majority of people thought of her as a joke.  She’s a freaking fabulous queen!  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, Marmiarmo said:

This.  I was thrilled when Shea was announced, but she does seem to behave as though the others are backup dancers to her Beyoncé.  Her little breakdown on the runway felt very genuine, but at the same time, I can’t believe that anybody really saw her as a joke for losing to Sasha’s “So Emotional” lip sync.  That was just a helluva twist, that season switching up the way the finale was done and then Sasha coming out and gagging us all with those rose petals.  If anything, I think people felt a little sorry for Shea for getting screwed by the twist, and I guess that could come across in a way that hurt Shea, but...no, I don’t think the majority of people thought of her as a joke.  She’s a freaking fabulous queen!  

Unfortunately the Fandom is vicious towards POC queens. I can definitely believe it happened. I want to agree that Shea is acting entitled, but she really is levels above the other girls. Only Juju is even close to her. Of course, I'm baised as she is my favorite queen ever. 

I have never cared for India, but I was ready to start throwing blows when she threw Alexis under the bus. Alexa told Shea outright she wouldn't vote for India as they were friends. And then on Untucked they show Alexis trying to help India on preparing what she should say if Alexis throws a comeback her way. So I am fine if India becomes a forgotten queen. 

• Love 9

I'll fully admit to being a Sasha stan but even if I weren't I think I'd be annoyed at this whole narrative Shea seems to be pushing implying that if it just weren't for those rose petals Shea would have won her season. Sasha was a solid competitor throughout the season and everyone slept on her because nobody on the show had seen her lip sync -- because she'd never been in the bottom. That finale has never been deleted from my DVR and I watch the lip syncs often. Aaaaand I just stopped myself from writing a lengthy dissertation making a detailed argument about the many other aspects of that performance that Sasha just plain did better. 

All that said, Shea is a fantastic queen and one of my favorites ever. Beyond her drag artistry, I have so much respect for her activism. Yes, her attitude is coming across as a bit grand, and I fear she's could face a backlash much like Latrice did after her entitled edit on AS4. I hope she doesn't, but Latrice weathered that just fine and I think Shea could too if she has to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

So, three of the six Snatch Game characters were men. The roster of men who can be plausibly done is probably almost exhausted. Anyone want to wager on a new rule of "Snatch Game characters must be female?"

If I was judging, I would have had a tie between Jujubee and Shea.

• Love 6

My extent of dealing with Ru-girl fans is this board, so I had no idea they were particularly vicious towards queens of color.  I never base my like or dislike of anyone on their skin, so it doesn’t occur to my excessively naive self that that should be the case in the drag world, especially.  I’m like a primitive robot...”that does not compute.”

Shea was amazing in her season and I loved her, but I always loved Sasha just a bit more,  I love a brainy queen!  If the finale had been the pre-Season Nine format, I wonder whether Sasha would have still beaten Shea.  I believe so, because ultimately, Ru chooses who Ru wants, no matter what.  But Sasha’s lip sync really sealed the deal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

All the hate towards the Black Queens is generally on social media; theirs and Ru's. 

So this "Lip Sync Assassin" moniker is being used in a general context?  I looooooves me some Vanessa Vanjie Mateo, but I would not call her a LSA.  She is banjee as hell and would probably have done better on a rap/hip hop song.  Or is this more producer fuckery to make these queens look so basic during the lip syncs so to not outshine the All-Star? 

India deserved the chop for that travesty of a Snatch Game character.

Jeffrey Bowyer Chapman is bae.

• Love 7

In my potentially not so humble opinion . . .

India is not, nor will ever be, an all star.

Vanjie is lovable, but she is not, nor ever will be, a lip sync assassin.

These episodes should be about 12 minutes rather than 60.

Blair, Cracker, and India should all have been eliminated immediately for sucking at Snatch Game.

After season 12, this is just tragic. I'm fine with Shae and Juju--give them a double win, for all I care--but the rest of it all is low class romper room fuckery.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I'm ready for the inevitable Shea vs. Sasha battle to just happen already. I don't think Shea is particularly overconfident, but I also feel like this is her season to lose so if she's assuming it is, I'd agree.

I found her snatch game to be uncomfortable, because I tend to feel like Flava Flav is a character based on a bundle of old stereotypes that need to be retired. A good impression, of something I don't enjoy, I think Shea could have brought something better. And, I thought Juju edged her out. 

As to the drama, I believed India, and it doesn't make me think less of Alexis. It's a game, the producers made it Survivor, plotting is how it works. India held back the reveal until she needed it, also a fine play, I think, in this game. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Well, ding dong, finally. I'm still dirty on Derrick Barry going out first and the shenanigans of India's win that episode.

I believe Alexis. It makes no sense for Mariah to have voted for India, if there was the hint of an opportunity to join forces and save herself by getting Shea out. Why would Mariah's friend Mayhem not enlist her to join in their evil plot?

I also believe Alexis and Mayhem voted strategically, as Shea is a threat, regardless of what they say about friendships and loyalties. Acknowledging to the other girls that Shea had had the worst critiques, and that was one way to look at who to choose, and that this was a good opportunity to get out a threat also makes sense. You could twist those comments if you wanted to, I guess, and I believe the truth lies somewhere in between the two versions of events.

But even if it went down somewhat as India claimed, India is still shady as hell, in my view.

All that said, who cares! It's a competition and it is not outrageous in this context to try to take out your top competitors.

As soon as the cast was announced, I thought Shea's winning this. Full stop. The rest of the show was just marching to a foregone conclusion. But with the top queen only being safe, the possibility that she won't does open up a smidge.

I thought Jujubee - or even more so Alexis - would be the winner this episode. I thought their Snatch Games were a lot funnier. Which is not to say the whole thing wasn't rather torturous

Canada's Drag Race is so far a lot more fun than this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

I love Tommy Dorfman.  I really thought Alexis deserved recognition for her amazing snatch performance and wanted her to win; alternatively, both she and Shea could have won and lipsynced against each other instead of bringing on an assassin. This bullshit that Alexis was in the bottom and could have been sent home due to India's last minute lies was so unfair, there should have been no question that obviously India is going home after bombing for the fourth week in a row.   Personally I was so bored by S9 that I really didn't care who won in the end--and it's still queens from earlier seasons like Alexis and Jujube (or Shangela and Manilla from previous years( that I'm rooting for, not Trinity or Shea.   The person everyone thinks is bound to win usually gets the shocking elimination, anyway. 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 2

First things first: Ru's Runway look this week was divine! It has been a lot time since she really made me sit up in the seat, but this one was just perfect. The old fashioned silhouette made modern by the pattern and colours used, it was glorious. Also, I think that white suits her even better than fifty shades of blonde.

Now the snatch game...for starters, I was kind of surprised to realise how many queens in were still left who never had done a snatch game and if Mayham had still be around, she would have been another one.

The moment Cracker said that she would do Lady Gaga, I knew that she was in trouble. Gaga is great to reference on the runway, but as person, there is actually not that much to her. Even her so called "scandals" are most likely carefully moderated. Of all attempts to do her, Cracker's was the best in that she had a little bit more than a costume, but that is a really low bar to jump.

In general the snatch game wasn't really my thing, but I guess Alexis did the best. No idea who she was even referencing, but she was the most quick-witted.

Still nobody taking on Kelly Ann Conway. Sooooo disappointed…the window to do her is closing fast.

The runway...honestly, I didn't get why Cracker got so much critique and Alexis so much praise. Cracker's dress might have been a little bit showgirly, but I can see an awkward teen picking it for all the bedazzle. Alexis dress didn't look like prom at all, and how often have we seen this kind of dress now? Boooooooooring. Jujube did the best. I mean, the dress made her look awkward, but, well, it is supposed to be a prom dress, right? Would have loved the Carrie reference if it had actually been a Carrie reference. Shea REALLY needs to get over this flower moment. Yes, it was iconic, but it is NOT like Sasha came from behind. Here is the thing: Ru tends to look for winners who are as different as possible from the previous ones, someone, who brings something "new". And in Shea's season only Valentina and Sasha fulfilled that particular brief. Shea is a fierce queen, but her style back then didn't have the "only Shea can do this" feeling. She got closer to this since then, though, so I guess she qualifies as a forerunner THIS season, but her attitude is really off-putting.

The whole Alexis story...one thing for sure, at least Mayham though that the group would turn against Shea. She said so in the confessional. If Alexis actively tried to convince other queens to vote for Shea...if I understand India's story correctly, she asked her AFTER she already voted, right? So, I guess they might have wanted it, but they haven't really tried to get a majority?

Jujube is really enjoying playing around with all the drama, though. I love how genre savvy she is.

• Love 7

India is shady as hell. She was pulling this garbage last week too. I wish she got picked the first week instead of Derek. She filled in the blanks that it wasn’t as shady as she made it sound when she was talking with Michelle. 

• Love 4

One thing for sure: For India it might have been better to continue to be known of the Queen who was lifted up. That is always the risk with All Stars, it can give you a boost, but it can also tarnish your reputation.

• Love 4

Mmm, I have the same problem. Honestly, I kind of like all those queens less than I used to. Other than Jujube, that is. But I don't remember Shea that arrogant, Blair used to be "sweeter", I don't remember Alexis being that manipulative (not that I believed India in this instance, she was playing up something to protect herself), and Cracker, well, Cracker is still like she always was I guess, but her attempts at self-editing are now even more obvious than they used to be.

• Love 6

I truly don’t understand how most of these queens qualify as all stars. After the magic that was season 12, this is a travesty. I’ve never been an Alexis fan, and she’s shady as hell so I don’t doubt that she wanted Shea to go, but India should have been gone weeks ago. I’m assuming they’ll drag out the did-she-or-didn’t-she for a few more weeks, otherwise the editors would have shown the definitive footage last night. The highlight of this season is Jujubee’s talking heads, and trying to figure out what the hell is going on with Ru.

• Love 7
(edited)

I loved how easily Ru was able to guess the various queens' Snatch Game characters based solely upon seeing their wigs.

At this point, there is NO EXCUSE not to have a good Snatch Game character. The show has been on for TWELVE SEASONS and this is the fifth season of All Stars. YOU KNOW THIS IS COMING. And you know that the most important thing about Snatch Game is that you have to make Ru laugh. Too many queens get caught up in which celebrity they think they can reasonably look like and don't stop to consider "Can I make this person funny?" Case in point: Blair's decision to do Ellen DeGeneres. Blair didn't seem to have thought past "I have a blonde wig."

Cracker as Lady Gaga was boring as hell. She managed one semi-funny line and that was it.

India as Jeffree Star was even worse. Boring, not funny, and honestly didn't even make sense more of the time.

Alexis as Walter Mercado wasn't as funny as Ru's laughter would have you believe, but compared to the dead weight of Cracker and India, she was hilarious.

Blair as Ellen was not funny at all. She knew things about Ellen but that wasn't enough to find a way to make Ellen funny.

Jujubee as Eartha Kitt was so good. She had the voice, the purring, the look, and the nonsensically sexual comments.

Shea as Flavor Flav was not as strong for me. She had the look down but there was something off about her impersonation. Sadly, I say this as someone who watched Flavor of Love so I know of what I speak. The smartest thing that Shea did was interacting with Jujubee.

Loved seeing Ru's prom photo!

Cracker's pink runway dress was more pageant than prom for me. I didn't like that her runway was based entirely on her frowning at her reflection in a hand mirror.

Alexis' red dress was very quinceañera so I laughed when she said that was her inspiration.

India's creepy prom look was an interesting change from the other looks, but it didn't read prom to me at all.

Blair's red tuxedo dress was a fun take on Billy Porter's amazing gown at the Oscars (I'm not sure when AS5 was actually filmed) but I noticed in the closeup shots that the jacket didn't fit well in the shoulders, which I found distracting. I also didn't like the turquoise shirt.

Jujubee's prom dress was so perfectly 80s with the crimped hair and the foofy dress.

Shea's dress was interesting but it didn't read well from a distance. It was much better up close when you could see all the details.

During the Alexis vs. India who said what finger pointing, all I could think of was that episode of Friends with the backpacking through Europe story: if only there was a way for us to know what really happened, you know, like a video tape that we could watch!

Since the producers didn't give us any actual footage, I tend to side with Alexis based on what we know. I agreed with whichever queen pointed out that if Alexis and Mayhem were actually campaigning to vote Shea out, they would have at least included Mariah in their voting block plan (which they didn't since she voted for India).

I think it was entirely too coincidental that India would keep this (alleged) information to herself until now. To me, this was India just grasping at straws and trying to find a way not to be eliminated. From a fairness point of view, she should have been eliminated just on principle because it's the fifth week and she's already been in the bottom four times now.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8
33 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

India's creepy prom look was an interesting change from the other looks, but it didn't read prom to me at all.

It read more 50-something chaperoning the prom than teenager attending the prom to me.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

I'm ready for the inevitable Shea vs. Sasha battle to just happen already. I don't think Shea is particularly overconfident, but I also feel like this is her season to lose so if she's assuming it is, I'd agree.

I'm hoping that AS5 will not do that.  Clearly it is still a touchy subject with Shea.  That would not be fun to watch; since they didn't pull Mimi Imfurst out when India won her week, I can be assured that the producers won't pull that out for Shea to be hurt more.  It's pretty rude that "fans" actually dropped rose petals in front of Shea at her meet and greets/Dragcon to stick it to her for losing to Sasha Velour.

• Love 4

Yeah, though it is pretty easy to "own" those kind of "fans" by saying thank you for letting you walk on rose petals.

I loved the idea of having an "in tears" make-up, but that look should have gone with the most princessy prom dress of them all. She could have then walked down the runway taking apart one of those flower thingies girls wear at prom. You know, the typical heartbreak moment. As it is, I had a flashback to what she wore when Mimi lifted her, except that it was the dress version of that look. Granted, a little bit less tacky, but why did she think that those extra-large breasts would read in any way "prom" and not "weird BDSM witch"?  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I know this is gonna be an unpopular post but I think I have reached Drag saturation ... Running these back to back to back its just white noise now everything is blurring together all the challenges seem just DONE and repetitive... Ugh 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Shea as Flavor Flav was not as strong for me. She had the look down but there was something off about her impersonation. Sadly, I say this as someone who watched Flavor of Love so I know of what I speak. The smartest thing that Shea did was interacting with Jujubee.

This is why I thought there should have been a tie. If Jujubee had been in the other group, half of Shea's performance disappears. I also thought it wasn't quite right, and I am a Flavoverse obsessive!

Note to queens - stay away from Gaga!

Mariah said on Instagram she was planning to do Jackee. I have a friend who is on his third audition, and I was helping him with Snatch Game prep for his audtion video. I had a list of about 30 brainstorming names for him to choose, and one of the final ones he did for the tape was Jackee. Mariah would have done much better with that than with Joan Crawford, so it sucks that we had to see India do whatever that was instead.

• Love 1

Cracker looked like Cracker in a ball gown. She could have at least put blue in her hair like Gaga did when she wore that dress. That was terrible. And her prom look wasn’t funny to me. I get the joke, but I don’t go for that kind of humor in general. There are some things I like about Cracker, but she just tries too hard, making her uncomfortable to watch on the show. I’ve found her far more enjoyable to watch on YouTube. 

I do think Shea has an entitled attitude problem because she acts like she would have won the crown for sure if Sasha didn’t have those rose petals. Sasha and Shea were both consistently great that season, so the crown was 100% up for grabs on finale night. Sasha was just better that night, so Sasha won. Shea is mad talented and needs to let it go. I hope we never see a reference to that moment again from her. I was also sick of her fans acting like Shea deserves to win this season of All Stars before we saw a single episode. Shea is great at what she does, but she is not the only talented queen there.

My heart is with Jujubee. I’ve loved her since season 2, and she’s never let me down. Her snatch game was great, and she’s the only one that got a real laugh out of me. 

I also want to say that I believe Alexis and think India was twisting the series of events to try to convince Shea to boot Alexis over her. I’m sure Alexis did say something about how it might be smart to cut Shea, the biggest competition. I know Mayhem certainly did. But I don’t think Alexis was actively campaigning against Shea in that episode. And I don’t think they approached India and told her to pick Shea’s lipstick. I don’t believe India because her timing of the reveal is very, very suspect. If she really had Shea’s best interest in mind, she would have told Shea about it weeks ago, back when it first happened. 

• Love 8

Cracker looked more like Evita then she did GaGa ... Girl should have just done Eva Peron

Lol...I missed most of the discussion in the workroom so I didn't know who she would be. When I saw her I first thought that she is trying to be Madonna Evita style. I was really disappointed when it was revealed that she was going for Gaga, especially Madonna offers up so much more material. Even if she is a very common choice.

• Love 4

This show could be so good, so easily, but season after season with All Stars I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football from Lucy while she always pulls it away.  The producers always muck All Stars up; maybe to make the main show look good by comparison?  

At least this episode was more watchable than the last two thanks to Snatch Game (thank god for Shea and Juju) but wow did the India and Alexis drama go on and on and on past being entertaining and more into “please, please, get on with it.”  It’s hard not to think it was manufactured to try and make one of the season’s most obvious eliminations— I mean India was inarguably a disaster on Snatch Game— seem like there was any suspense whatsoever.  There wasn’t.

When India said she’d never done Snatch Game before my husband said “wait, what place did she come in on her season since Snatch Game’s usually about halfway through?”  So I looked it up and India came in tenth place.  Tenth place?  I’m more confused than ever how India was ever considered an All Star.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
(edited)

Mandy Salangsang, a longtime producer, said a few words about queens are selected for All Stars.  I was as surprised as anyone to hear that India had been a major player in a Vegas show, and I think that would fall under the doing something interesting or unexpected after Drag Race Mandy alludes to.  In light of that information, I was interested to see what India would bring to the table.

I'm not sure exactly who I believe, but I'm leaning toward Alexis also, although she has been a bit too much drama for me throughout the season.  As others have said, it doesn't seem to make sense that there was a big organized effort given the result.  I think Alexis would probably have been in the top, and ordinarily out of the running to go, but her Mercado voice was bad.  I thought she benefited by comparison.

Shea does have a bit of an attitude, but I guess I don't mind because her performances have been pretty unimpeachable so far.  I don't remember her initial season well enough to say whether I think the idea that she was the frontrunner all along is revisionism or not.

This season is letting me down.  Too much focus is in the wrong places.  The Drag Survivor bits are especially not working for me.  I love competition, but nearly 15 minutes of very negative interpersonal conflict isn't what I am looking for in entertainment right now.

Edited by 853fisher
I forgot Eartha!
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Well, at least you can trust Cracker to make the most even out of a failure.

Honestly, if India was truthful or not only matters in relation to Alexis anyway. Because even if it was true, it was extremely shady to keep it to herself and then bring it up the moment she thought that she had an opportunity to throw Alexis under the bus. So throwing her out was the smart thing to do, both to protect yourself and to not lose the approval of the audience who would have considered it pretty unfair if Alexis had gone after a somewhat good week.

• Love 7

Oh dear, it's a mystery. Get Miss Marple on the case. 

I don't really care what shenanigans may or may not have gone on backstage.  India did poorly on the challenge and nothing about her look said "prom". She rightly went home.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Cracker as Lady Gaga was boring as hell. She managed one semi-funny line and that was it.

India as Jeffree Star was even worse. Boring, not funny, and honestly didn't even make sense more of the time.

Alexis as Walter Mercado wasn't as funny as Ru's laughter would have you believe, but compared to the dead weight of Cracker and India, she was hilarious.

Blair as Ellen was not funny at all. She knew things about Ellen but that wasn't enough to find a way to make Ellen funny.

Jujubee as Eartha Kitt was so good. She had the voice, the purring, the look, and the nonsensically sexual comments.

I agree with your whole post but especially these parts.

I think it's interesting that other people who have attempted and failed at Lady Gaga tried Gaga's "weirder" looks and tried to go over the top weird to match. I think Cracker had the energy more correct but there was nothing funny about it, especially in this context. I think if it had been one of the earlier Gaga costumes, it would have worked out better just because one of the things that's interesting about her (to me, anyway) is how sincere and intelligent she is while also being committed to the weirdness of her art. Cracker also isn't as well-spoken or off the cuff funny as she is so it's not going to read well. I'm also biased because I love Lady Gaga and I understand why nobody has been able to pull her off yet, but dammit.

I had a hard time watching India as Jeffree.

Alexis was funny but knowing nothing about Walter Mercado, myself, I feel like she was giving me about 6/10 of what I had expected based on what was said in the workroom. She also more than carried her group, though.

I think the funniest thing Blair did as Ellen was take the selfie at the end, but I feel like she added to the scene as a whole by anchoring it in reality and allowing Eartha Kitt and Flava Flav to seem weirder. Also I find it ironic that by Ellen being less wacky, the comedic role of "straight man" ended up being a gay woman.

I think Jujubee should have won. The thermostat answer is one of the funniest things that's been said on this show, imo.

I also agree that something was missing with Flav. I watched at least two seasons of Flavor of Love (were there more? I don't remember...) and I think I was on the TWOP forum for it? Maybe, I don't know, it was a while ago. The cadence of how he speaks was off, and I kept waiting for him to do the Ernie laugh at himself after making a dumb joke. I also felt like the bit about child support was forced. I think there were organic ways a joke could have been made about that, but it seemed too "let me shove this in because it shows I know things about my character." I definitely don't think Shea's performance was bad but I didn't think it was as funny as Jujubee's.

I have a headache so all I can say about the rest of the episode is that I'm glad India is gone.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

If Mattel put out a RuPaul Barbie based on her look last night I would be first on line to buy it!

If Mattel put out a RuPaul Goes to the Prom Barbie I would push my way to the front of the line!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, belligerent said:

I think Jujubee should have won. The thermostat answer is one of the funniest things that's been said on this show, imo.

Yup!

10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

This season is letting me down.  Too much focus is in the wrong places.  The Drag Survivor bits are especially not working for me.  I love competition, but nearly 15 minutes of very negative interpersonal conflict isn't what I am looking for in entertainment right now.

Yuuuuuuuup!

I was rooting for Cracker or Ongina at the outset...then Cracker, Alexis or Juju...and now I've settled on Juju and maybe Shea.

But hopefully Juju. She's delivering.

• Love 3

Yeah, I agree, I was initially eyerolling about doing Eartha Kidd AGAIN especially with the "I like cats" explanation because she is so much more than just Cat Woman, but Juju in the end delivered that little bit more. She is truly the master of understated humour, making a scene flow off the cuff. I wonder if the did a lot of improp in the past.

I think there are three rules every Queen should think of when picking a character for snatchgame:

1. Don't pick someone with an understated personality

2. Don't pick a comedian (and if you do, don't try to do an act of said comedian, but an over the top act of said comedian. For Ellen for example I would have insulted myself in a very over the top manner at every opportunity, because that's what she does, most of her humour comes from making herself smaller than she is, so it could have been funny to draw attention to that by doing it over the top).

3. ALWAYS have a backup

I have to add: I think that iconic characters are better than more obscure ones. Because honestly, just might make Ru laugh with the more obscure ones, but the audience in general, they are easily lost with those.

But I think what most queens don't understand is that the most important thing is to notice the little habits personalities have, and then to overstate them. Quote are fine, but they are in itself not funny.

• Useful 1

If Juju or Shea do not win this season, it will be a travesty. The other girls feel like filler, though not generally unpleasant to watch. I thought Blair did an okay job, in that at least she HAD a character of some vague sort (was it Ellen? not really), while Miz C was just Miz C in a gown. Blair made me smile once or twice; Miz C was pretty but boring as hell.

That said, thank the heavens we've woken from the nightmare of India. Those ridiculous boobs and goth-caught-in-the-rain for a "prom" look made her look like the sad, floppy love child of Stevie Nicks and Marilyn Manson.

For some reason, I'm not getting a ton of arrogance from Shea like others are; maybe because I don't distinctly remember her from her earlier season. Admittedly, I have the memory of a bird when it comes to reality show contestants; I tend to remember iconic looks more than the queen. Shea will now be in my mental pantheon for the combination of her impeccable body roll and "Wakanda life" lyric, and that EPIC nude runway look. *muah chef's kiss*

I think I might have given it to Juju for the perfect super-80s prom look, and that thermostat line. Oh gods, that was fucking hilarious.

• Love 6
(edited)
  • I'm bemused by Shea's win. Her snatch game material was weak and doesn't even qualify as drag as far as I'm concerned. Her Flava Flav was more masculine than Shea is out of drag. I'm not opposed to male characters being done. My all-time favorite snatch game performance remains Kennedy's Little Richard, and what makes it even better is how it still remained drag. What made Shea's mediocre performance worse for me was the cuts to RuPaul laughing like a hyena after every line. Like, it's not that funny (also being able to play off the true winner, Juju, raised Shea up in her performance, I guess) Her runway look didn't really fit the theme for me and her contrived story about losing to Sasha makes her come off self-obsessed. I remember her S9 finale performance - it wasn't finale worthy. 
  • Cracker was the queen I was looking forward to the least this season, and she keeps adding to my list of reasons why. This supposed comedy queen was on the same level as India in terms of performance. Ms. Cracker is literally my "Bitch Eating Crackers"
  • Alexis Matteo's performance was solid but a tad redundant. She does have exemplary improv skills.
  • I know of Jeffrey Star, but I've never seen him/her/they/them/etc so I thought India's character work was fine, but it just wasn't funny.
  • I know of Ellen, and I've seen her show, so Blair's unfunny impression was spot-on. Also, I'm a big fan of her prom runway look.
  • Juju was great. I hope she wins.
Edited by gorgy
  • Love 5

IDk.  Im kind of meh so far on the season.  S12 was so good, this is kind of anticlimactic .  Seems like they should be switched and S12 be the all star version. Oh well.  Seems like Jaida, Im sorry, Shea for the win.  I jest?

• Love 2
On 7/4/2020 at 2:38 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I loved how easily Ru was able to guess the various queens' Snatch Game characters based solely upon seeing their wigs.

I think she knows beforehand who's planning on doing who, just like I think the queens are told in advance what questions will be asked during snatch game so they can prepare a few jokes. But I might be wrong in one or both cases.

20 hours ago, belligerent said:

I thought the exact same thing! She's hilarious and should be a full-time stand-up comedian. I love her sense of humour, it's very clever and subtle. Her prom dress was PERFECT, she always delivers exactly what the challenge/"category is" asks for, and she deserves to win this All Stars. Plus, we share a birthday, so of course she's my favorite!  Shea's outfit was iconic and beautiful and everything, but the category was "prom", not "TBT" so I'm sorry but she should've stuck to the theme and just for that (because her Flavor Flav was amazing), the win should've gone to Jujubee. Alexis' dress was super banal and I don't understand how they criticized Cracker's dress and then praised Alexis', because for me they both belonged in the same category of basic, unimaginative and trite. 

Other than that, it was high, high, high time India went home. I honestly don't know how she 1. was even selected and 2. made it past the first episode. Also, I'm far from being a fan of Alexis, but I think India lied. What I think happened is that Alexis might have made a snarky comment in her and Mayhem's presence about voting for Shea and India blew it up into it being an explicit request from Alexis to vote for Shea. Someone should ask Mayhem.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 7/4/2020 at 12:12 PM, Fallacy said:

I also want to say that I believe Alexis and think India was twisting the series of events to try to convince Shea to boot Alexis over her. I’m sure Alexis did say something about how it might be smart to cut Shea, the biggest competition. I know Mayhem certainly did. But I don’t think Alexis was actively campaigning against Shea in that episode. And I don’t think they approached India and told her to pick Shea’s lipstick

On 7/5/2020 at 6:10 PM, stormy weather said:

Also, I'm far from being a fan of Alexis, but I think India lied. What I think happened is that Alexis might have made a snarky comment in her and Mayhem's presence about voting for Shea and India blew it up into it being an explicit request from Alexis to vote for Shea. Someone should ask Mayhem.

Or Alexis asked if India had voted for Shea like she and Mayhem had, but since her spoken English is imperfect, she confused her verb tenses and it sounded to India like a future request. (Instead of "did you vote for Shea like me and Mayhem?" she might have said "had you vote for Shea...? and India misinterpreted that as "would you?") 

It may actually be a miscommunication, not a lie on either of their parts.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2

Even if it was a miscommunication, you either bring it up directly when it happens or you don't bring it up at all. The timing was shady on India's part either way.

One thing for sure, it becomes more and more clear how screwed up the judging in season 2 was. Jujube deserved so much more. I hope she gets the win this time around, though I fear that Ru might be set on Shea.

• Love 4

I remember Alexis musing about voting for Shea for purely competitive reasons, which made me think India’s story may have some truth to it. I also think it’s entirely possible that a comment made in jest may have been misconstrued. Whatever the truth is, I don’t really care. One of the special things about this show, as opposed to most other competitive reality shows, has been the way the queens help and support one another.  I don’t like this detour into backstabbing drama, and hope it’s not the start of a new normal.

I will never understand anyone coming on to this show and not having a Snatch Game character fully formed, with jokes at the ready.  Especially in an All Stars season. It’s just embarrassing, not to mention lazy.

For the second week in a row, thank god for Jujubee.

• Love 4