Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
tessaray

The Doctors (1963)

Currently airing vintage episodes OTA around the country on Retro TV and live streams at 3:00 (ET) on the website: https://www.myretrotv.com/ 

Dr. Matt Powers is head of Hope Memorial Hospital in the town of Madison, concerning himself with the staff and patients with their attending dramas. He is primarily supported by his wife Maggie, their good friends Dr. Althea Davis and Dr. Nick Bellini, and eventually the extensive Aldrich family over the years. (IMDB)

Occasional (weekly?) recaps on their FB page. https://www.facebook.com/watchretrotv/ 

Finally got a chance to watch the show online today. (We don't get Retro Television over the air in my area.)  

I only have vague recollections of The Doctors from when I was a kid, though I know I watched it for a few years off and on when not in school. I didn't remember James Noble, who was on today, though - it took a few minutes to wipe the memories of him on Benson. It will be fun to see if I remember Elizabeth Hubbard when she turns up, as she was one of my favorite soap actresses.   

I remember watching this as a kid; the standard lineup we had for afternoon soaps was Days of Our Lives, The Doctors, and Another World. I remember some aspects of it fairly well, but also as a springboard for several actors who went on to bigger roles. 

• Like 2

I had a pang when the voice at the end said to stay tuned for Another World.  😞  DOOL was my first soap but my sister and I really loved AW.  

It took a little searching but they are in early February of 1968 right now.  I think I may have to sub to their streaming site for a while and start watching from the beginning (well, 1967), because I'm usually busy at 3:00 (Central) even if I'm at the computer.   

The 60s fashions are fun to see. And all those old fashioned, silent close-ups with the dramatic music. 🙂 The hospital is that awful green though. I once tried to describe to my kids how horrible hospitals used to be - that would be a good screen clip to illustrate the point. 

• Like 1

If I recall reading, The Doctors debuted the same day as General Hospital did, April 1, 1963. And now there are no hospital soaps. (GH stopped pretending to be such ages ago.)

• Like 1