Type keyword(s) to search

S12.W12 (E52-54)

• Start Topic

Isn't the whole point of the Mystery Box to make the chef's use their creativity, talent, and knowledge of how flavors work together to come up with dishes they've not done before, like Callum, Emelia and Laura did for the Rubix Cube challenge. It's not meant for the chef's to just do exact dishes they have been cooking for years, if not decades, and fit them into the brief. (Reynold, Poh and Reece) 

Has Poh even cooked anything this entire season that isn't something in her repertoire ? It seems to me the couple times she got thrown off by an actual challenge like with the beef and figs or whatever that was, she basically made carpaccio, cut up the figs, read a magazine with the remaining 45 minutes, and then got praised for her simplicity. 

One challenge per episode is not enough now that they are down to so few. They should throw in some invention tests, skills challenges, whatever. I'm tired of hearing all them say over and over again they want to make it to the final whatever, and it's coming down to the slightest of margins, and one tiny error can send you home, and they really want that immunity, and they are up against the best of the best, and blahhhhhh. 

• Love 2

How on earth does Reynold have overcooked quail with all that blood on the cutting board???

That was a strange episode and I am still bummed that Callum wasn't cooking for immunity.

I think Poh got the more difficult ingredients and did her best.

I also think that given the amount of vanilla we were shown Laura adding at every step I am baffled they couldn't taste it!  Unless it was so much that it all starts to taste a bit weird and not at all vanilla!

Roll on elimination!

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, misgabi13 said:

That was a strange episode and I am still bummed that Callum wasn't cooking for immunity.

They say a fan favourite is going to leave on Sunday.  If it's Callum I'm going to be a very unhappy camper because in no universe should Reece outlast him.

Much as I'm not such a fan of Reynold's, in terms of meeting the brief I do feel he deserved to win immunity.  Poh's dessert was pretty slapdash and I don't really think a few slices of red grapefruit was enough in terms of having that ingredient front and centre.  And if the crumble Laura had on her dessert had molasses in it, I can believe it would overpower everything else because it's a very strong taste (and smell - I spent a lot of time as a child visiting my grandparents' cane farm and that distinctive and kind of sickly aroma of molasses instantly pulls me back in time to those little sugar towns). 

It's funny how when Poh is presented with a scenario like tonight's episode, where she can't just shoehorn a dish she already knows to "sorta" fit the brief, she never does as well.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, katisha said:

They say a fan favourite is going to leave on Sunday.  If it's Callum I'm going to be a very unhappy camper because in no universe should Reece outlast him.

I completely agree!  

Tart Boy needs to go and we need to see more Callum goodness!!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, katisha said:

It's funny how when Poh is presented with a scenario like tonight's episode, where she can't just shoehorn a dish she already knows to "sorta" fit the brief, she never does as well.

She did the same thing she did when befuddled by the figs, just cut them up and put them on the plate. I had to laugh when she set those ginormous gnocchi down on the table. I mean those babies were monstrous. I was thinking, Poh, you should have selected the largest bowel in the pantry to make them look smaller!

When Reynold wings it, he actually comes up with some of his best stuff. 

Bummer for Laura, but I love how Jock comes up to her at like 4 minutes to go to point out how the molasses in the crumble might overpower the vanilla. Not as helpful as pointing out Reynold needs a sponge a few minutes into the challenge when he still have plenty of time to make one.

• Love 2

At this point, I think every remaining contestant has some fans, so hopefully the fan favorite going home is Reese.  While Reese has improved his savory skills, I think he is the least versatile of the cooks that will be in elimination on Sunday.   I also think Laura should have won immunity.  Even though they claimed that the vanilla wasn't prevalent enough, they thought both her dishes were delicious, and they didn't seem to be that impressed with Reynold's savory dish.  I sincerely hope they are not going to manipulate the final so it's Poh against Reynold.  I think Callum, Emilia and Laura are all better all around cooks than Reynold.  I also think the 3 of them are better than Poh.  The one thing I don't like about this show is the producer manipulation.

• Love 3

The only thing I wanted from this episode was Reynold not getting immunity, so needless to say I am so happy I wasted an hour of my life on it. Reynold's desserts seem very dated (no pun intended) to me, and he's better at them than savory dishes. Reese irritates me--which may mostly be the editors' fault--and his cooking is potentially no better than my own, so I'm rooting for everyone else.

The judges seemed subdued, at least by their standards, so that was a pleasant shock. If we had a whole season with no judge screaming, no tarts, and no nervous breakdown music, I'd take pretty much whatever else was involved.

• Love 2

Well, that kinda sucked. I was rooting for Laura. I thought she had the better dishes overall but I guess the judges felt otherwise, ehh.

I hope the elimination challenge is kind to Emelia and Callum. After the disappointment of Reynold winning immunity I don’t want one of my favourites going home. (Also side note, I would have loved to have seen one or both of them do the immunity cook, they’re both more interesting cooks than Reynold)

• Love 1

I sincerely hope they are notgoing to manipulate the final so it's Poh against Reynold.

I’ve suspected all along that this is the plan.  Would be thrilled to be wrong.

• Love 2

THREE WORDS (okay one is not so much a "word" but kind of...):

CELEBRITY MASTERCHEF UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TVBitch !!!!! I know you're watching with me!

I'll come back here at some point to see who won Masterchef AU. Sadly, it is no longer must see TV for me 😞 I'm really impressed at those of you, whom I respect and admire as commenters, managed to hang in for this entire season.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

So apparently, it IS possible to watch this show from overseas, so whoop whoop, I'm back.

A LAURA/EMELIA TOP 2???? You love to see it. I almost didn't want to believe it when I saw them both just zooming through that challenge like it was something they did every day, because I was sure the judges would find a way to put Reece straight through to the top 5 and find something wrong with Laura's dish, but I was oh so happy to be wrong! Who would have thought that I would end up being a straight-up Laura fan after being so annoyed with her at the beginning for shoehorning pasta into everything, but I suppose this year is full of surprises.

I definitely was not expecting Poh to be the one to go at this stage, though. Say what you will about her, but she definitely did not deserve to go before Tart Boy. Such a bummer, but I liked her attitude and self-awareness about her own flaws that got her into that position. However, I am now more convinced than ever that Reynold is gonna take it all, but as long as Emelia and Laura make it into finals week, it will be enough to keep me watching.

If Reece isn't the next to go, I am calling the police.

On a shallow note, I'm gonna be dreaming about Mel in that tight black dress for a while.

• Love 2

I am really happy that Callum made it into the immunity challenge.  I started watching in season 2.  He was my favorite then and he's my favorite now.  Besides his amazing cooking ability. I love his personality and his sense of humor.  However, I think the preview with Reynold was so over the top, so I will be surprised if he is not the one to win immunity tomorrow.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, EmpressElle said:

Is it just me or did Poh get the MOST DRAMATIC ELIMINATION EVER edit?  The music, the musing, the shock, the awe!!!!  I will say though, she took it like a champ.

Not just you.  The edit was so dramatic, you'd think Poh had received a terminal diagnosis for some awful disease rather than being eliminated sixth from a reality cooking show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, EmpressElle said:

Is it just me or did Poh get the MOST DRAMATIC ELIMINATION EVER edit?  The music, the musing, the shock, the awe!!!!  I will say though, she took it like a champ.

Wasn't just you that saw how excessive the edit was for her farewell episode.  It was obviously someone's idea to say 'we love you, Poh' since she was their cash-cow with the sound-bites.  Those of us tired of her laughing at her own attempts at humor merely sat here waiting to see if the death knell was truly dire this time or whether she'd have another judge's unjustified save.

To be honest, they transmitted her farewell so blatantly throughout the whole show that I was only surprised the judges couldn't find some excuse... like, "oh, didn't we tell you?  There's no elimination this week because today ends in a 'y'."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

*quietly opens door*

She gone? Can a blue crab pinch me or...?  Oh, it's true? 🤩

HA! 

Hahahahahaha!  Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-hahahahahahahahahaha!  

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! 

Ahee! Ahee!

Haaaaaaaaa!  Heeeeeee!  Hahahahahahahaha!

*wipes forehead*

Sorry for such a wordy and heartfelt post. I'm so devastated. 🤥

• LOL 4

I'm a terrible person!

There are a few eliminations where I just flatly refused to watch the episode (Jess, Tessa and another one).

This one I watched with glee! I got so sick of her chaos and manic grinning while she was in chaos. It might very well be just what her personality is like but I was very tired of it by the end.

Plus she could not really cook anything that wasn't in her wheelhouse of dishes. I always felt she took a dish she makes often and jams it in to fit the parameters of a challenge. It finally did her in this time.

• Love 2