Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: I've Been to London to Visit the Queen

I would so love it if her Garden Gnome boyfriend (I love that comment!) never gets or makes another dime and she lives a life pining after the money he used to have.

Ha ha, I think that would be such perfect justice, but my feeling is that the minute she finds a richer Garden Gnome she will leave him. :)

And honestly, how does she know about where he used to live, was that like a date?  "hey, why don't we go grab a bite to eat, and I'll show you were I lived when I had money?"    Is it public record?  Was she stalking him?

• Love 1

It's so strange how she points all of these things out to the crew.  Remember at the Earl's estate she was talking about how many acres and staff he once had? It's almost like she's trying to tell them, "I know he's butt fucking ugly, but he used to be butt fucking ugly AND wealthy."  

What is funny to me is that she's hanging out with a guy who would rather go to jail than give his ex her share.  You'd think that would be enough to turn a gold digger off.

• Love 1

I would so love it if her Garden Gnome boyfriend (I love that comment!) never gets or makes another dime and she lives a life pining after the money he used to have.

Like the poor Duchess of Windsor -- perfectly happy being the King's mistress, then he goes and tosses it all away to marry her and she ends up basically living in a hotel room with him the rest of her life ostracized by all the people who "matter." and sucked up to only by those who don't.  (by her shallow standards, note - not mine)  Not what she signed up for!

I think it was Caroline trying to make a point.  I don't remember her discussing Juliet or Noelle's behavior specifically with them so perhaps only inviting the two of them to the etiquette lesson was her way of telling them without telling them that they behaved poorly.  I think towards the end of the etiquette lesson Caroline addressed it head on with both of them.  That allowed her to address what she felt was bad behavior with just the two of them.  I think if she had called them on the phone and said "what happened at the dinner, why were you guys passing food and running off to the kitchen to ask for soup?"  I don't know that either of them would have gotten it.  I think you would have just heard loud denials and defenses from Juliet.  It also, for the most part allowed the etiquette expert to be the "bad guy." I think if Caroline had invited everyone out to etiquette lesson neither Juliet or Noelle would understand that it was a response to their behavior at the dinner.  And Juliet seems mostly like a person that you can't give subtle hints to.  Marissa seems like the type of person that would think "gosh, Caroline is inviting me to this thing, did she think I did something wrong at dinner?"  Juliet, and to a lesser degree Noelle, doesn't seem to have that level of self awareness.

Yes, clearly Caroline was trying to make a point about Juliet and Noelle at the dinner, however, I am left wondering if that is Caroline's point to make?  First, it was not a dinner that she invited them to attend, so what the hell does she care if they behaved improperly?  Second, I distinctly remember Caroline going outside for a smoke break in the middle of dinner, something that I believe is probably an egregious breach of proper British etiquette.  Personally, I really like Caroline but this was a snotty bitch move and rude IMO.  Yes, I get that it was supposed to be funny and fake drama for a TV show, but it's grossly hypocritical for Caroline.  She did not score points with me on this one.

• Love 2

I feel sorry for her pain--- but I thought it hilarious that Annabelle was suddenly "let's all get along, there are bigger things to worry about, peace and love y'all"  From her expression it seemed it was the pain meds talking.  I'm sure Alexander's mean girl is still lurking in there waiting to show her ugly self again.

Yes, clearly Caroline was trying to make a point about Juliet and Noelle at the dinner, however, I am left wondering if that is Caroline's point to make?  First, it was not a dinner that she invited them to attend, so what the hell does she care if they behaved improperly?  Second, I distinctly remember Caroline going outside for a smoke break in the middle of dinner, something that I believe is probably an egregious breach of proper British etiquette.  Personally, I really like Caroline but this was a snotty bitch move and rude IMO.  Yes, I get that it was supposed to be funny and fake drama for a TV show, but it's grossly hypocritical for Caroline.  She did not score points with me on this one.

I see what you're saying.  I totally agree that caroline taking an extended smoke break in the middle of a dinner was rude.  But I see slight differences.  I think smoking is more widespread in the UK than in the US.  I also think to some degree that smoking is sort of addictive (I don't smoke, but this is what I've heard). So, because a lot of people smoke in the UK (from what I've seen) I don't think its crazy to think that someone who needs to smoke may say they have go to the restroom.  Its not rude per se to leave the table, mostly because its not rude to have to answer the call of nature.  So I think that given that smoking is more widespread in the UK and it is okay to leave the table to go to the restroom, I would think that its not so rude to say you have to go to the restroom when you really have to go smoke.  I know I've said I had to go to the restroom when I just needed a little air for a few minutes because it was stuffy inside, or I needed to give myself an injection, but didn't want to do it in front of everyone, or announce it to everyone.  But Juliet's behavior was right in front of her guests, being loud about the whole bambi thing, and then passing food around the table.

I think where Caroline went very, very south in terms of manners wasn't in that she went to out to smoke when she said she was going to the restroom, but I think it was in the extended period of time she was gone.  If you need to be gone from the table for whatever reason, it shouldn't be an excuse to stroll the grounds looking for a three person swing, it should have been a quick smoke outside then back to the table.  

I do remember Caroline saying at some point that Juliet was going to find that no one would want to invite her anywhere because of her behavior.  So, I don't know if she was trying to help Juliet in her own way.  I think telling Juliet things straight out has often led to her becoming defensive and proclaiming that "this is who I am!!!!"  I do agree that there is a high likelihood that Caroline didn't do it to be nice, but for some other show related motive, but I do remember her saying something like that about Juliet.  Caroline has been a part of that "society" for what sounds like years, so maybe she can get away with a little bad behavior, especially when its not done right in front of people.  I'm not sure if Juliet is at that point yet, and if people will just perhaps not invite her to things because they think she is going to be loud and obnoxious.

If I moved to another country, and I became friends with a particular group of people in that country, I would be SOOO appreciative that one of them cared enough to give me an "etiquette lesson."   If I'm being rude by pointing at something or insulting my host by showing him the soles of my shoes when I sit down, somebody please tell me!

I suppose the producers set it all up, but on the face of it, Caroline was being an excellent friend to those two.  She didn't sit around with the other "Ladies" and make snide remarks about how Juliet and Noelle conducted themselves like barnyard animals at the Manor of Sandwich.  She arranged for a third party private tutor who gave them some pointers that would help them be accepted into this culture that's somewhat different from their own.

The online Oxford Dictionary defines "good manners" as "Polite or well-bred social behavior."  Seems rawther  important for anyone with the goals that Juliet and Noelle have in mind.

I understand feeling defensive about being criticized for one's table manners, but do they not grok that something like walking in and bellying up to the table before they're invited may seem insignificant to them but not to the hostess who invited them?  The debate about whether these social rules should matter is irrelevant because I've never heard any of these women say, "I'm just me and I don't care whether the society nobs like me or want me around."  They do care.

• Love 1

Ugh Noelle, just because people put up with you at parties you attend with Scott, doesn't mean that you are accepted.  Ugh.

I see where Juliet is going with Rosalyn, but seriously, don't pass your plates around.  

I've learned that you just observe your host or others who have been in the situation longer, and act accordingly.  Meh - it works for me.

• Like 1