Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Bringing the Thunder

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, PaperTree said:

What a bunch of idiots.  It’s always messy when the guests bring locals back on the boat. And now they are like permanent guests for meals.  So much extra work for Kiko and everybody.

I'm not a fan of these guests by any means, so part of me wants to dislike them even more for bringing additional people on the boat and making Kiko and the rest of the crew work so hard. But then I think about the fact that they haven't left the dock for their whole charter. Plus their beach picnic was a fail. They've basically played poker and used a few of the smaller water toys in what looked to be a limited area of water. I think they're legitimately bored and finding new people to hang out with is pretty much their only form of entertainment right now. 

• Love 14

Some charters get a much better food experience than others & this one was off the chain! Cheeses & figs & prosciutto platters right away, a caviar appetizer, filet mignon & truffle lunch, & mussels for a snack---- they had only been on the boat 4 hours at that point! Lobster, prawns, squid ink pasta & lamb chops for dinner?! Yum!

The guests were all nice enough--- just the oyster guy was a jerk & sucked the air out of the room with his bad attitude. See, me? I would stop inviting him places because he makes the whole group look bad. Although, he was much nicer to Bugsy, so maybe he just didn't care for Hannah.

I was very impressed with this group's ability to party! My, God, they drank & ate & socialized for 16 hours straight. Then they were up pretty early the next day--- they couldn't have had more than 3-4 hours sleep. & the one girl went to exercise? Ah, to be young again.... (Who am I kidding? I couldn't party that hard back in the day either.)

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I have often wondered how the $ work. I mean, they drink booze out the wazoo vs some other more mild guests who drink rose, responsibly. For sure they must get charged for extra food and booze that gets consumed when they invite guests? (not to mention some sort of per-capita for guests, which I imagine does NOT happen; but man having to clean up vomit for invited guests, yuk)

• Love 2

What is the story about Pete getting phased out of the season? I haven't been paying much attention outside of the show itself.

I hate seeing dogs around drunk assholes - I always feel sorry for them (remembering poor little Kompis...), so I was fine with a nice sober girl taking care of him on land. She actually walked him on a leash, whereas his owner just carries him around like a baby. Kind of weird.

I really did not like Malia at all on her first season. That whole hooking up with Adam and the bosun situation was just kind of gross to me. It seemed very opportunistic, IMO. And that bullshit about how she shouldn't be held back from being promoted because she's a cute female really annoyed me, because in fact they were not pissed about that at all - it was because she was hooking up with the bosun and then got promoted BY HIM. That's what they had a problem with. I think Bobby is a big douche who I don't ever need to see on this show again, but in that instance, he was right. OKAY, all that said, I'm actually liking her this season. I can't believe it, but I am. And I almost sat this season out because of her, but decided to watch the first show and ended up hooked. 

• Love 10

I kind of figured it out why Hannah hates Bugsy. You see Bugsy is from South Africa and claims she brought thunder.

Now Hannah is from the land down under and she knows that women blow and men thunder.

I think she didn’t want something else to clean up!

• LOL 12

Tacky tacky jewellery. The Jared Kushner look-alike primary seems okay, but what a punchable face. And why doesn't he exert some control over douchy jewellery guy? I would never admit to being that guy's friend. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 4

I used to stay in a Bed and Breakfast right outside the Hamptons. The woman who ran it was a big time caterer in the Hamptons. We used to cook together as I showed her some recipes that my Grandma thought me.

Anyway one day we went into town to get supplies for a gig in Westhampton. To my shock we went to Costco. She got all her ingredients there. Those rich morons had no idea.

I bet they do the same thing on Yachts.

That was definitely Costco caviar.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I wonder if Kiko can handle it. Doing that many dishes in a restaurant is not so bad because you have line cooks and sou chefs to help.

I hope Kiko asked for help. Somebody on the deck crew could definitely help with prep since they were stuck on the dock. Sandy did that last season with Anastasia. This is a special circumstance and I hope Kiko is not too proud to ask for help.

He sounds like he is from Brighton Beach. 

The regional accents in Brooklyn are easy for a true Brooklynite to recognize.

Not only does he sound like he's from Brighton Beach/Sheepshead Bay area, he acts like it with his entitled self.  He's an embarrassment to the borough, therefore the rest of us are not claiming him.

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I used to stay in a Bed and Breakfast right outside the Hamptons. The woman who ran it was a big time caterer in the Hamptons. We used to cook together as I showed her some recipes that my Grandma thought me.

Anyway one day we went into town to get supplies for a gig in Westhampton. To my shock we went to Costco. She got all her ingredients there. Those rich morons had no idea.

I bet they do the same thing on Yachts.

I thought the same thing when we saw Ben using Aunt Jemima "maple" syrup. He didn't even put it in a different container to hide the fact serve it. I mean, maybe it's real(ish), but I doubt it. I think it's probably karo syrup, food coloring, and maple extract. And as somebody from New England, that's downright criminal to me, lol. You can get real from-the-trees maple syrup - just send away for it Ben! I mean, it's a damn luxury yacht, plan ahead and get some real maple syrup. It's so much better! (I have a farm down the road from me that has a sugar shack, and believe me, real maple syrup is worth it.)

• Love 10
On 6/29/2020 at 10:26 PM, njbchlover said:

Scout looks to be a Pomski - half Pomerian and half Huskie.  They are adorable dogs - most do look like miniature Huskies.

I Googled “Pomski dog” and was not disappointed! I had no idea this breed even existed! 

Sandy is annoying me with her every-meal-visits, asking how the food was. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
10 minutes ago, Batwings said:

Googled “Pomski dog” and was not disappointed! I had no idea this breed even existed! 

Justin confirmed on his IG that Scout in an Alaskan Klee Kai if you want more cute dog breeds. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Teri313 said:

I thought the same thing when we saw Ben using Aunt Jemima "maple" syrup. He didn't even put it in a different container to hide the fact serve it. I mean, maybe it's real(ish), but I doubt it. I think it's probably karo syrup, food coloring, and maple extract. And as somebody from New England, that's downright criminal to me, lol. You can get real from-the-trees maple syrup - just send away for it Ben! I mean, it's a damn luxury yacht, plan ahead and get some real maple syrup. It's so much better! (I have a farm down the road from me that has a sugar shack, and believe me, real maple syrup is worth it.)

Well, in truth...  Marionberry syrup is the only way to go.  😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Teri313 said:

I think it's probably karo syrup, food coloring, and maple extract.

I don't think Aunt Jemima even waves a maple leaf over the packaging line. I believe they use "natural flavors" which is actually fenugreek. If you have an occasion, sniff some fenugreek seeds. Vaguely maple-ish. But I agree that they should be serving the real stuff. I certainly do at home.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

I remember Marionberry from my time in Seattle, you would be hard pressed to find it in my local grocery store.  I have a friend who's father's family owned King Syrup, (it is a Baltimore thing), waiting for it to pour was a slow process but so worth the wait.

• Love 2
On 6/29/2020 at 9:36 PM, Stinger97 said:

I adored Hannah bringing out the preference sheet to the douche-y Brooklynite to prove that he'd never requested oysters for breakfast. It was so passive-aggressive and petty, but I'm sure so satisfying for Hannah (and the audience). In the eternal words of the Countess Luann, "money can't buy you class." 

I thought he DID see "oysters" written on the pref sheet, but it was under "Dinner" not "Breakfast."  And didn't Hannah say, as she was walking away, "Ok, so I am wrong..." ??

On 6/30/2020 at 1:37 AM, scrb said:

Again, it's one thing to share drinks with people you've just met but bring them back to the yacht?

Do you not go to bars?  Girls going home with dudes is pretty common, everywhere in the world.

The girls were hot and the guys... appeared to have money, or a yacht at least.  The guys wanted the girls to hang out the whole time.  I don't see anything weird about that.

23 hours ago, dleighg said:

As for Kiko- his food looks generally awesome- but an arrival platter of "cranberry cheese" (along with other things that were better)? To me, cranberry cheese is pretty low brow- like what you get in a party platter at Costco.

Maybe one of the guests asked for the cranberry cheese on the pref sheet?

21 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Back in the day you would run into these half a gangster mooks at Raputin every night.

Is that a bar?  Raputin?

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

And didn't Hannah say, as she was walking away, "Ok, so I am wrong..." ??

I thought the guy said that, and one of his friends said something along the lines of "you're such an idiot"

But I kinda feel a tiny bit for him (very tiny) as it does look like he had oysters on his preference sheet *somewhere* so it's not too surprising it he might think to ask for them at other times of the day. But he was extremely rude so that negates it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, dleighg said:

But I kinda feel a tiny bit for him (very tiny) as it does look like he had oysters on his preference sheet *somewhere* so it's not too surprising it he might think to ask for them at other times of the day. But he was extremely rude so that negates it.

This is a good point.  But I also think, if they are on the boat for 2 or 3 days max and each of them has listed different things they like, they shouldn't necessarily assume they are going to get it.  I've obviously never seen a preference sheet other than the short clips they show us, but if it was like OYSTERS OR ELSE!!! that should be called out specifically.

• Love 6

Having just gotten home from a Costco run, I've got to agree that a lot of the snacks served on the BD franchise seem like they could be from there.  Not that long ago on BDSY, I was watching it while eating Costco red pepper hummus and veggies and that's what Madison served a gaggle of drunk guests.  And, for what it's worth, even Costco sells real maple syrup in a fairly large container for about $11.  But, aside from the snacks, Kiko's food looks pretty good (were it only on time!).

14 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

I learn something new every day!  I legit had never heard of this and thought it was some kind of reference to the former DC mayor, Marion Barry.  I will have to find some to try (though probably not at Costco LOL).

I do NOT get Sandy's obsession with tablescapes.  The one Bugsy for dinner was so cluttered and tacky: were it my charter, I'd ask that it be cleared and/or wonder why they're trying to distract me from the food.  Maybe all the tchotchkes were to misdirect attention from the one single lamb chop that was the main course.  It's Greece--lamb is abundant.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Hannah is usually rolling her eyes and muttering shit under her breath before the tour even starts. I've never seen a preference sheet thrown in a guest's face. The guy is a total fucking asshole and so is Hannah.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mr. Miner said:

Hannah is usually rolling her eyes and muttering shit under her breath before the tour even starts. I've never seen a preference sheet thrown in a guest's face. The guy is a total fucking asshole and so is Hannah.

I was in Hannah's shoes once, I had to order lunch for a group coming to our offices for a two day class, we send out registration sheets with food preferences on it such as Kosher, Vegetarian or Vegan, Low Carb, Food Allergies or Regular Lunch. I had someone complain that she got a vegetarian lunch, her sheet said she would eat either a Chicken Caesar wrap or a vegetarian lunch, (Chicken Caesar wrap was not on the menu either day), I showed her the sheet and she had to admit she wrote what she wrote...sometimes you need the evidence to show where the fault lies. Albeit we were not on a multi million dollar yacht, and the complainer was not the one paying, her boss was and he was happy, just like the primary on that yacht.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Is that a bar?  Raputin?

It was the biggest baddest Russian bar/restaurant/catering hall in the 1980’s.

All my Russian Mafias friends practically lived there. You did shots of vodka like it was water.

My liver was a lot younger back then.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 6/29/2020 at 10:07 PM, Kiki777 said:

What kind of dog is Scout?  I thought he was a puppy Husky at first but he seems like a smaller breed.

I noticed Pete was taken off the opening credits.  But he’s still pretty heavily featured on the show... is this him being phased out?

I agree Alex and Bugsy would be cute together.  They both have these nice positive attitudes.

Poor Kiko 🙁

I think it is an  Alaskan Klee Kai. Our friends have 2 of them and they are such beautiful dogs, 

3 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

All my Russian Mafias friends practically lived there. You did shots of vodka like it was water.

Was it Rasputin?  

I always thought Rasputin was a Russian leader, but apparently he was just buddies with the czar.  

7 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

In his defense he did put it on the sheet.  I have done that before, made a big production out of how wrong someone is at work, only to have it pointed out that I was the wrong one.  I hate that feeling!

• Love 1
(edited)

Rasputin was the name of the club.

It was also the name of the priest who has mesmerized the wife of the czar and was considered the evil genius behind the Romanoffs. 

The Russians in NY in the 1980’s were refugees from the Soviet Union and wanted to mock them by reverence towards Czarist symbols and myths.

Hence Rasputin as the name of the most popular club.

Oyster boy would fit right in.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I have no problem with Costco caviar--Costco has some high end stuff sometimes--but when someone says caviar is being served, I expect to be seeing more than three little eggs on top of a deviled egg.  If I'm on a million dollar hotsy totsy yachtsy trip, I want to see a bowl of caviar, with toast points and tiny spoons, minced onion, egg, the whole nine yards.  Deviled egg garnish:  pfft.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

I can’t stand Bugsy and her smug buck tooth face.   But I guess she is God’s gift to yachting.

I love cranberry cheese.  If that’s wrong I don’t want to be right.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 8

Okay, Bugsy, "I brought the thunder" is mildly amusing once, like amusing enough for a good friend to smile slightly and let out a "hee hee."  

I didn't need to hear it like three times.  

(Someone upthread mentioned Sandy flouting COVID restrictions, or something?  On her Instagram?  I can't find it and am curious).

• Love 1
(edited)

Bugsy is truly shallow, narrow and phony.

No wonder Sandy loves her.

Hannah is so over it that it is truly understandable what happens to her. It’s obvious that it was all scripted. The wires are showing and the puppet masters need to work on their presentation.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 4
On 7/1/2020 at 3:49 PM, Lizzing said:

I do NOT get Sandy's obsession with tablescapes.  The one Bugsy for dinner was so cluttered and tacky: were it my charter, I'd ask that it be cleared and/or wonder why they're trying to distract me from the food.  Maybe all the tchotchkes were to misdirect attention from the one single lamb chop that was the main course.  It's Greece--lamb is abundant.

I'm not sure if it was last episode or the on before, but the Watch What Happens right after had Hannah and Jessica and Andy asked if all captains are so obsessed with table scapes, Hannah said no and the other one laughed. Bugsy's was a tacky mess, and how convenient she used to have contests to set them. No shocker that Sandy loves the ticky tacky shit. She'd have a stroke if she saw Kate's 1876th in a row display of glass marbles. Honestly, they seem basically pointless unless they've requested a theme party. 

7 hours ago, Jobiska said:

(Someone upthread mentioned Sandy flouting COVID restrictions, or something?  On her Instagram?  I can't find it and am curious).

I don't follow her Instagram, but I did read a little interview she gave a month and a half ago saying how cruises were perfectly safe and people shouldn't be afraid. Um, cruises were a cess pool before Covid, how many times has there been a story about how the whole ship was sick? So, no Sandy, cruises are NOT perfectly safe and won't be for a very long, long, loooooong time, you stupid self serving bint. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I'm not sure if it was last episode or the on before, but the Watch What Happens right after had Hannah and Jessica and Andy asked if all captains are so obsessed with table scapes, Hannah said no and the other one laughed. Bugsy's was a tacky mess, and how convenient she used to have contests to set them. No shocker that Sandy loves the ticky tacky shit. She'd have a stroke if she saw Kate's 1876th in a row display of glass marbles. Honestly, they seem basically pointless unless they've requested a theme party. 

I don't follow her Instagram, but I did read a little interview she gave a month and a half ago saying how cruises were perfectly safe and people shouldn't be afraid. Um, cruises were a cess pool before Covid, how many times has there been a story about how the whole ship was sick? So, no Sandy, cruises are NOT perfectly safe and won't be for a very long, long, loooooong time, you stupid self serving bint. 

Wouldn't a cruise on a luxury yacht be a whole different ball o' wax than the floating cities that are the mega-cruise ships or even the smaller ones that take you on river cruises?  It's possible that she was being taken out of context or was only referring to the type of cruises she handles.

• Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

Wouldn't a cruise on a luxury yacht be a whole different ball o' wax than the floating cities that are the mega-cruise ships or even the smaller ones that take you on river cruises?  It's possible that she was being taken out of context or was only referring to the type of cruises she handles.

Nope she was definitely talking about cruise ships, not just the yachting industry. She has a ton of shittakes including doing an instastory mocking grocery store workers to their faces for asking her to wear a mask and follow social distancing guidelines (this was in April when she was heavily featured in Bravo’s Stay at Home and Social distance PSAs).

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I saw a Sandy Insta of her being incensed that grocery stores had arrows on aisles to tell people which way to go to avoid too much contact. And, while I fully appreciate I'm over-reacting, it pissed me the fuck off.  First, minimizing contact is key to not spreading a virus that is multiple times more deadly than the seasonal flu and more communicable to boot.  Secondly, as a military child, it also irritated the fuck out of me that she labeled it as "unpatriotic" or some such.  Like, dude, so all those commissaries that I visited in my youth that had designated up & down lanes were unpatriotic?  On fuckin' military bases?  Like, bitch, ya don't know your history?  Or maybe check yourself a moment.  Then I remember that, outside of Malia for the moment, and the assllcking of Bugsy's tacky tablescapes, she's never unreservedly stood for one woman on crew* and has always been the suck-up to assholes, made Capt. Lee look progressive by comparison, and her one talent is backing into parking spaces...which is the key indicator of an asshole on land, so it stands to work on water as well.

*She was okay with Anastasia for a bit, but she was still up her ass about food temp when it was clear that (a) the service area was too far away from the kitchen and (b) Sandy could have insisted the stove got fixed but didn't.  As we discovered, a couple of plug-in induction burners would have cost about 100 euros, small pittance to a boat that size.

Uggh...rant over.  Sorry to be so long.

• Love 20
On 7/4/2020 at 5:57 AM, Lizzing said:

backing into parking spaces...which is the key indicator of an asshole

What?? Why? I've never heard this.  I typically don't (other than into my driveway) but I do pull through whenever possible so that I'm facing out and that somehow makes me an asshole????   Really?  If I was better at it I certainly would back into spaces because upon arriving there are far fewer blind spots providing excellent awareness and visibility versus backing out where there are blind spots abound.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, sharkerbaby said:

What?? Why? I've never heard this.  I typically don't (other than into my driveway) but I do pull through whenever possible so that I'm facing out and that somehow makes me an asshole????   Really?  If I was better at it I certainly would back into spaces because upon arriving there are far fewer blind spots providing excellent awareness and visibility versus backing out where there are blind spots abound.

I back in to parking spaces regularly, I drive a Mini Cooper convertible and every car is bigger than mine, especially the SUV's I seem to park between without fail, it is a safety maneuver for me, trust me when I say I am not an asshole.  The person that takes two spaces...that is the asshole in the parking lot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 7/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

I used to go there with my husband and his Russian friend back in the day.  Good times!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2