Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Bringing the Thunder

• Start Topic

A blast from the past returns amidst a massive thunderstorm that threatens to keep The Wellington docked for their next charter. Rob and Jessica deepen their connection, while Pete’s attitude continues to frustrate Malia. Meanwhile, Kiko is pushed to the limit by a group of new guests whose requests are incredibly demanding.

Airs June 29. 2020.

Hmm.  I think Alex and Bugsy might be cute together.  Out of all the Chief Stews this BD has had, I think I would pick Bugsy for my chartered yacht.  So far, shes working hard and cheerfully. I appreciate the cheerful. It's rare on BD.  

Pete.  If I didnt already know you have a lot to do in the enlightenment department, wearing your collar flipped up like an 80s frat boy movie villain would say EVERYTHING.   EVERYTHING.   He is such a douche.  Yes.  You were out of line Pete and she does get the last word as Bosun.

Go Malia go!  I love this season Malia!  

Brotato chip?  Well with Rob I guess you can't eat just one.....Still finding Rob mentally and physically attractive.

We almost had a Malia Poppins moment with the umbrella. 

Mr. Scout is back!  In some kind of bowl.  He's so cute!  This show would be much better if there was always a primary dog.  On the boat.

• Love 23

What kind of dog is Scout?  I thought he was a puppy Husky at first but he seems like a smaller breed.

I noticed Pete was taken off the opening credits.  But he’s still pretty heavily featured on the show... is this him being phased out?

I agree Alex and Bugsy would be cute together.  They both have these nice positive attitudes.

Poor Kiko 🙁

• Love 7

Poker game was a good diversion.

What a bunch of idiots.  It’s always messy when the guests bring locals back on the boat. And now they are like permanent guests for meals.  So much extra work for Kiko and everybody.

Alex and Hannah were amazing until 6 AM.

Tender Cap’n Pete screws up the whole departure.  Malia needs to fire his ass.

It was said they were going to edit him out, but sadly he’s a huge source of dysfunction so TPTB couldn’t.

They didn’t know the beach rules?  No glass (or alcohol, ha ha) is the standard in the NE US.  Or was it because of the wind.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

All the charter guests seemed like insufferable a*holes. One can only hope that they tip well at the end of it all, but they'll likely hold the crew responsible for all the hiccups. As someone that works with the public, seeing guests like these really makes me feel for the crew. 

I enjoyed Bugs during her last season, so I'm happy she's back. It was also nice to see that, despite her apprehension at the news of her return, Hannah was beginning to appreciate having Bugs as her 2nd stew. 

• Love 22
6 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

was said they were going to edit him out, but sadly he’s a huge source of dysfunction so TPTB couldn’t.

They said they wouldn’t be able to until the back half of the season. He was removed from the credits.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

What kind of dog is Scout?  I thought he was a puppy Husky at first but he seems like a smaller breed.

I noticed Pete was taken off the opening credits.  But he’s still pretty heavily featured on the show... is this him being phased out?

I agree Alex and Bugsy would be cute together.  They both have these nice positive attitudes.

Poor Kiko 🙁

Scout looks to be a Pomski - half Pomerian and half Huskie.  They are adorable dogs - most do look like miniature Huskies.  

My son has one, and he is an extremely smart (I mean super-super-super smart) and very well trained.  He is just sooo cute!!  Good thing is, they are great dogs for apartments and city living because of their size - they do need a lot of walking or exercise, though.

• Useful 7
  • Love 7
(edited)

Pete is such a dbag I'm over him.

Poor Scout. He should be allowed on the yacht. Probably better behaved then most of these guests lol.

The one charter guest is such a dbag. Get over your fucking oysters.

Jessica is kind of an idiot. Rob saying she is intelligent or whatever is an excuse for him to try to bang her. I thought I liked Rob but not anymore. Seems like he thinks he’s a super deep guy but he probably isn’t. 

Edited by Marley
  • Love 13
(edited)

In looks and demeanor Justin reminded me of the character of Jared on Silicon Valley. 

Scout looked like a klee kai to me, my cousin has two and they are very smart so he probably had a better time being able to run around on ground without these assholes.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, njbchlover said:

Lastly, Captain Sandy really has a hate-on for Hannah, doesn't she?  She keeps complimenting Bugsy in front of Hannah, as far as Bugsy's work, attitude and table decor.  Table decor, which looks to be completely wasted on most of these guests, unless it is poker-themed.

This is making me feel badly for Hannah, even as much as I disliked her in the past.  

Even Hanna said she was glad Bugsy was there because she knows what she's doing, like when she gathered supplies for the last minute pic nic.

I don't know if it's true randoms.  They go to some club and decide to invite strangers to participate in all the yacht activities, food and drink?

First of all, they'd have to sign releases to be filmed, since the yacht is mostly a floating studio.

Again, it's one thing to share drinks with people you've just met but bring them back to the yacht?

Or from the POV of these people, why would you sign up to go back on a yacht with strangers but they have to sign releases to be filmed for an American TV show?

They try to control pretty much everything that goes on board.  If they didn't want randoms, assuming they vet the charter guests who gets to appear on the show, they could have had the charter guests sign a release saying they can't bring on friends that the producers don't approve of.

Maybe the extra dinner guests is to really put pressure on Kiko, because that looks like one of the primary plots of the next episode.  So instead of 48 courses (6 courses times 8 charter guests), he has to make 24 more courses for a total of 72.

If he had advanced warning, it should be fine but hey they decided at lunch that these guests are coming for dinner too.

In any event, when they choose the charter guests or cast them, they must consider which guests would likely present issues for the crew.  But if they can't spontaneously cause issues, they may think up some ideas to challenge various cast members.

Like one season on one of the BD shows, a wannabe chef came on and went into the galley and told the chef she'll be watching him.  OK we know that's totally contrived bullshit.

This one, well Kiko has been late with dinners more than once and this is only the third charter?  So maybe the idea is to really make him work hard.  He just likes to cook, doesn't want to have to schmooze the guests but Sandy told him to do it.

If the food is the main driver of how much the tip is, I guess the chef on every season will always be on the hot seat.

• Love 7
(edited)
24 minutes ago, scrb said:

Again, it's one thing to share drinks with people you've just met but bring them back to the yacht?

It’s most definitely a thing even when camera crews aren’t present. 

The “dog nanny” was apparently the woman who does the hair and makeup for the crews confessionals.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 13
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, scrb said:

They go to some club and decide to invite strangers to participate in all the yacht activities, food and drink?

If I'm chartering a yacht that doesn't leave the dock, you can believe I'll bring some women on board to party.  And, if I found out the only reason we didn't leave the dock the next day was because the crew screwed up, I'd be livid.  Then, they don't even have a rudimentary knowledge of local ordinances and have to cancel the beach picnic.  Hannah should have contingencies for this.  Isn't Malia a dive instructor?  Maybe take people out.  I'd rather be at a resort than a yacht that doesn't leave the dock.  I know these people don't pay for it, but imagine this happening away from the show when you're paying $75K (or more) a day.

Bugs is the best stew on any version of the show.

• Love 13

Watching Hannah’s stressed face twitch when the douche canoe insulted her for the lack of oysters was tough to see. She’s on edge worried about Bugsy already and didn’t deserve the comments/insults.

And what a group of rough, uncouth guests! Dropping MFers left and right! That’s a word I reserve for super strong emotions or comedic effect and I consider my audience. I think he compared the dining room to a Chinese restaurant during the tour. What a PITA for the crew as well as the other guests.

The primary didn’t seem to fit with his guests. A strange “group”

Kiko needing to be pushed to talk to the guests was cute. It’s part of your job Chef. 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Marley said:

Jessica is kind of an idiot. Rob saying she is intelligent or whatever is an excuse for him to try to bang her. I thought I liked Rob but not anymore. Seems like he thinks he’s a super deep guy but he probably isn’t. 

Kind of reminds me of a couple seasons ago on the Bachelor (which I swear I never watch LOL) when that obnoxious "first impression rose" Olivia got left on the rocky island on the 2 on 1 date, just after saying "Deep intellectual things are just my jam.."

• LOL 2

When the wind is 15 knots you can't leave port? It seems like you wouldn't be able to leave very often?

I could maybe feel sorry Hannah if her demeanor didn't scream I HATE MY FUCKING JOB!

• Love 9

The idea of getting picked up at 11:30pm to go to a nightclub is..... not appealing to me LOL. And man, those people taling about "let's go to Vegas next week" and one says "no I have to be in Japan." NOT FOR WORK mind you-- for a birthday party.

Useless wastes of oxygen. Though the primary actually seemed nice. 

• Love 16

Actually the reason they couldn't leave the deck was because one of the guests decided to leave the boat to go on a walk wasn't it?  Which apparently Jess didn't stop her (not defending Pete but that was the original delay).  By the time she returned the wind had already picked back up and then of course Pete's mishandling of the lines caused further delay.

• Love 17
1 minute ago, RoxiP said:

Which apparently Jess didn't stop her

I can't recall-- should Jess have known they were about to leave? She seemed pretty loopy in that scene, like not paying attention much.

• Love 4
(edited)
19 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I can't recall-- should Jess have known they were about to leave? She seemed pretty loopy in that scene, like not paying attention much.

If the editing is accurate (BIG if), Bugs told Jess they were preparing to depart prior to Jess telling the guest to have a nice walk.  But it was kind of weird given how much they always harp on “have your radio on and earpiece in!”.  Shouldn’t they all have been clear about what was going down?

Edited by Booger666
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, lcarolynl said:

Watching Hannah’s stressed face twitch when the douche canoe insulted her for the lack of oysters was tough to see. She’s on edge worried about Bugsy already and didn’t deserve the comments/insults.

And he'd already raised it with Bugsy, and it seemed like not a big deal when she handled it.  I know she talked to Kiko, but we didn't see her tell Hannah did we?  It seems like that should have been shared and then maybe Hannah wouldn't have been so defensive.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, lcarolynl said:

And what a group of rough, uncouth guests! Dropping MFers left and right! That’s a word I reserve for super strong emotions or comedic effect and I consider my audience. I think he compared the dining room to a Chinese restaurant during the tour. What a PITA for the crew as well as the other guests.

The primary didn’t seem to fit with his guests. A strange “group”

Kiko needing to be pushed to talk to the guests was cute. It’s part of your job Chef. 

Primary reminded me of someone who has to buy his "cool" friends. I'm sure they all have money, but I'm also sure the primary is usually covering the tab for the group. Bet he paid for the charter and the bar tab at the club they had to go to. I'm sure the douchcanoe demanding oysters hasn't picked up a tab in a decade. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Honestly, she probably should have known considering they're all supposed to have their walkies on them at all times. However, in her defense, when the guest asked if she could "walk around outside," I thought she meant she wanted to stroll around the deck of the yacht. Perhaps Jess didn't realize the woman wanted to walk around/beyond the marina? Of course, Jess seems pretty flighty in general and I wouldn't be surprised if she understood exactly what the woman wanted and just didn't put two and two together (if I let the guest off the boat, she's going to delay our departure). 

Edited by Stinger97
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I'm sure the douchcanoe demanding oysters hasn't picked up a tab in a decade. 

Yup which I’m sure is how he got that glittery watch he was wearing. I’d sooner believe that watch was made from fragments of an old disco ball than actual diamonds.

• LOL 18
  • Love 1

It is a good thing that they didn't leave the dock-Captain Sandy is too busy hovering to drive the boat. We get it Sandy, you hate Hannah. But did any of those guests look like the kind of people who needed to know who did the table decor? Because I can't imagine what guests who cared would look like. I'm not a Hannah fan or hater but good lord Sandy-chill out a bit. I found Sandy annoying before, but now all I think about with her is her casual disregard for COVID rules on her Instagram stories.

I don't really feel any strong way towards Bugsy. I do find her annoying and I can't stand a try-hard (my feelings on her based on her last appearance and that might have to do with Adam-I hate him). Her outfit coming down the dock looked like Vera Bradley threw up on her. Also-not sure if you know this from the 85 times she said it, but she brought the thunder. But if I was a guest, I would love her because she works super hard and would bring me charcuterie & rose at a constant pace-most likely without having to ask.

Obviously Scout was the best of the guests. The primary seemed fine, but he needs new friends. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 18
(edited)

It was very nice of Malia to talk to Rob and praise him. However she kinda missed a bet with the other guy when she told him that she couldn't believe that he was the one that she got along with the best.

That dude did a stellar job helping Hannah deal with the douches who stayed up all night and he cleaned up the boat while everyone else slept. He seems very polite and despite the dad jokes he appears to be a hard worker and a good teammate. He doesn't get sloppy drunk or aggressive towards the women on the boat. He refused to go along with Pete in dissing Malia behind her back and seems like an all around good guy.

Maybe that's why I can't remember his name.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • LOL 5
  • Love 19
53 minutes ago, Stinger97 said:

I thought she meant she wanted to stroll around the deck of the yacht. Perhaps Jess didn't realize the woman wanted to walk around/beyond the marina?

Jess helped the woman find her shoes and even commented “cute shoes” so she knew she was leaving the boat.  I remember it because I assumed producer shananagans given Bugs just told her they were getting ready to depart.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

It was very nice of Malia to talk to Rob and praise him. However she kinda missed a bet with the other guy when she told him that she couldn't believe that he was the one that she got along with the best.

yeah what was that about? It seemed like she was saying "I like you, even though you're not exactly hot." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Booger666 said:

Jess helped the woman find her shoes and even commented “cute shoes” so she knew she was leaving the boat.  I remember it because I assumed producer shananagans given Bugs just told her they were getting ready to depart.

I'm beginning to agree it was all producer driven.  If they were getting ready to leave, why was the walkway still in place with railings mounted?  At 7:44, Sandy gives the TH that they have to act fast.  They show them getting ready and the walkway has railing up on both sides.  At 8:05, Malia is talking to Sandy and the railing is missing from one side.  As, the guest leaves the boat, both rails are back.  At 8:16, Malia sees her starting off toward the marina and doesn't say, "Hey!  If you get back on the boat we can leave the dock."  At 9:06, she comes back and one rail is up.

Things are clearly out of sequence and it's not like it's uncommon for the crew to tell a guest it's time to go back to the boat.

Edited by Jack Sampson
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6

I think the table decorations were tacky.  I would expect, and prefer, minimal decorations so the food shines.  

I would be interested in knowing how their wires got crossed with the lunch at the beach.  I would think they would know tarps and glass containers weren't allowed at a public beach.  At least I think it was a public beach. 

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Jack Sampson said:

If I'm chartering a yacht that doesn't leave the dock, you can believe I'll bring some women on board to party.  And, if I found out the only reason we didn't leave the dock the next day was because the crew screwed up, I'd be livid.  Then, they don't even have a rudimentary knowledge of local ordinances and have to cancel the beach picnic.  Hannah should have contingencies for this.  Isn't Malia a dive instructor?  Maybe take people out.  I'd rather be at a resort than a yacht that doesn't leave the dock.  I know these people don't pay for it, but imagine this happening away from the show when you're paying $75K (or more) a day.

I agree to an extent.  If you're chartering a big, expensive yacht, you want to be able to entertain guests.

But why not bring dates or girlfriends on the trip then?  It's got several big cabins so obviously they're not going to charter it just for themselves.

Remember above all that this is a TV show.  So they'd have to ask the people they meet at the club to come back to the yacht with them.

However, they HAVE to sign a release so are they okay with appearing on an American TV show?

Many people may not consent to that.  It's not just being on TV but all the production crew hovering around you and telling you where to stand or sit so that they can get the camera and lighting right.

So much for casually having some drinks or an impromptu after party get together.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, scrb said:

However, they HAVE to sign a release so are they okay with appearing on an American TV show?

Clearly they are. Why is it surprising that there are a shit ton of people who actively want to be on tv and a lot more who wouldn’t mind or see it as an adventure. It’s not like the release is some complicated document it usually is one page (sometimes 2) and most people don’t even read it. 

Jessica seemed to know that they were going to leave she just didn’t register it at the time given her reaction in the galley when Sandy made her announcement.  However, Malia Saw the guest, wearing bright yellow, when she was still quite close to the boat so I don’t know why she waited to go after her.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

5 hours ago, Booger666 said:

If the editing is accurate (BIG if), Bugs told Jess they were preparing to depart prior to Jess telling the guest to have a nice walk.  But it was kind of weird given how much they always harp on “have your radio on and earpiece in!”.  Shouldn’t they all have been clear about what was going down?

3 hours ago, Stinger97 said:

Honestly, she probably should have known considering they're all supposed to have their walkies on them at all times. However, in her defense, when the guest asked if she could "walk around outside," I thought she meant she wanted to stroll around the deck of the yacht. Perhaps Jess didn't realize the woman wanted to walk around/beyond the marina? Of course, Jess seems pretty flighty in general and I wouldn't be surprised if she understood exactly what the woman wanted and just didn't put two and two together (if I let the guest off the boat, she's going to delay our departure). 

3 hours ago, Booger666 said:

Yes, they were not all connected on if they were going to try to leave and also how to do it quickly, however the show did make it seem that they couldn’t leave because there was a guest not on board and by the time she was back the wind was too strong, regardless of which important line Pete tied or untied correctly. They had a quick TH of Jess looking blissfully unaware of the mistake until that moment and saying “oopsie!” Interesting to me, was that even though Jess was at fault, her oopsie response was more pleasant to hear, despite the mistake, when contrasted to Hannah getting defensive and schooling guests on preference sheets and Pete arguing if the word important was said sarcastically or earnestly and that it was really Malia who had the sassy attitude. Heh. Jess saying “oops!” and at least acknowledging that she does not know what is going on (whether or not that was editing and that oops was even about this) was refreshing that at least she wasn’t going to argue that she was right! I may amend my response to any and all future verbal confusions to “Oopsie!” and just keep it moving. Thanks Jess.

3 hours ago, oakville said:

Sandy should leave Kiko alone! He is one of the friendliest chefs in Below Deck history.

Word! He is so cute and pleasant for a chef!

I didn’t quote it, however, the idea that the charter guests ran in to people they know at the club that they requested to go to and invited them back on the boat and to come for dinner the next day is very likely. These people are not thinking about how it affects others, they think “let’s keep the party vibe going... join us on the yacht!” is something that someone who is not used to paying for things and used to partying and lets-fly-here-tomorrow- type of attitude is common. It wouldn’t occur to them to worry about the constraints and staffing unless they are told no, and this show teaches us that Sandy will do whatever she can to not have to say no to anyone on a luxury vacation. They are paid to accommodate capricious ideas and passing whims (and tacky table settings!) if they are feasible and within legal limits. They may just be acquaintances or struck up friendship that night, yet when you bump in to people in Europe in VIP after midnight, you after-party on their boat with free booze and food until dawn. They DNGAF that Hannah has to work tomorrow. 

• Love 9
(edited)

The beach picnic was a fiasco. How could they not know that glass wasn’t allowed. I am sure umbrellas were ok and they should have some on hand for sun protection if they took them to the beach for swimming.

Generally poorly planned and a failure in execution. At least Malia didn’t cut herself this time.

They are really screwing the pooch this season. If I were Scout I would be looking over my shoulder. Just sayn’

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Clearly they are. Why is it surprising that there are a shit ton of people who actively want to be on tv and a lot more who wouldn’t mind or see it as an adventure. It’s not like the release is some complicated document it usually is one page (sometimes 2) and most people don’t even read it. 

I'm not denying that they could have met people that night who agreed right then and there to sign releases.

But you can't deny that they may have pre-vetted some supposedly random friends who'd appear on the show with these charter guests.

All as part of the story about how Kiko will be challenged on this charter to crank out a lot of food for one dinner, while he's been having problems delivering dinner on time already.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, scrb said:

But you can't deny that they may have pre-vetted some supposedly random friends who'd appear on the show with these charter guests.

Since it’s it’s no way a weird occurrence with people, I find it highly unlikely that production gave a shit to do the work to pre-vet people who barely said a word on screen. 

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Stinger97 said:

I adored Hannah bringing out the preference sheet to the douche-y Brooklynite to prove that he'd never requested oysters for breakfast. It was so passive-aggressive and petty, but I'm sure so satisfying for Hannah (and the audience). In the eternal words of the Countess Luann, "money can't buy you class." 

Wait,he's from Brooklyn?  We don't claim him.

• LOL 11
(edited)

I wonder if Kiko can handle it. Doing that many dishes in a restaurant is not so bad because you have line cooks and sou chefs to help.

I hope Kiko asked for help. Somebody on the deck crew could definitely help with prep since they were stuck on the dock. Sandy did that last season with Anastasia. This is a special circumstance and I hope Kiko is not too proud to ask for help.

4 minutes ago, spunky said:

Wait,he's from Brooklyn?  We don't claim him.

He sounds like he is from Brighton Beach. 

The regional accents in Brooklyn are easy for a true Brooklynite to recognize.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

He sounds like he is from Brighton Beach. 

The regional accents in Brooklyn are easy for a true Brooklynite to recognize.

Sort of Russian? I actually thought he *was* Russian.

As for Kiko- his food looks generally awesome- but an arrival platter of "cranberry cheese" (along with other things that were better)? To me, cranberry cheese is pretty low brow- like what you get in a party platter at Costco.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4