Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E17: Evictions

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Per the site's politics rule, if a politician is included on the show, you can discuss what was talked about.  We put aside personal commentary or comments about topics not discussed.  

• Start Topic

(edited)

Good topic to cover tonight. Man, the effects of this virus really are far-reaching, aren't they?

Yes, we all should've totally saved our money in preparation for a pandemic that blew up (thanks in no small part to the lack of proper response) and led to masses of people unexpectedly losing their jobs all at once. That's a completely logical demand to make of renters who had absolutely zero control over any of this. Sheesh. I like the one renter demanding we get a bailout. I'm with him. 

And people still can't figure out why everyone's out in the streets riled up and protesting and demanding major changes. Gee. Yeah. It's a total mystery. As someone whose family has rented places our whole lives, John's also right about the affordable housing issue. My mom and I are currently living in a top floor apartment of someone else's house, and we've got this place because it's the only one within our family's price range and we're lucky enough to know the landlord. Everything else is just too much for us right now, and some of the places we could try to get into have all these restrictions and you have to have good credit and whatnot to even be considered to move in. So it's very frustrating indeed. 

As for the Papa John's guy, y'know, I can honestly say I have never had any desire to look at a company executive's TikTok or other social media outlet to see what they're doing or look at their homes. This guy really thinks he's so important and interesting to where people would genuinely be interested in what he's doing, instead of wanting to mock him. Okay, then. 

The people in that clip ranting about wearing masks made my head hurt (the person ranting about how if we're wearing masks, we therefore "can't figure out who the pedophiles, etc. are". WTAF?). Also, I really could've gone my entire life without hearing about that one lady not wearing underwear. Thanks for sharing? 

See you in a couple weeks, everyone. In the meantime, let's get on with our miserable lives. 

Edited by Annber03
  • LOL 1
  • Love 14

Okay, why does he have a boring tie painting but we are still waiting to see the eratica on his wall?

Kind of hoped that he would mention marble race at one point.

The eviction problem was so predictable. Especially in areas where Landlords have reason to think that they will find new renters soon despite the pandemic.

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, swanpride said:

The eviction problem was so predictable. Especially in areas where Landlords have reason to think that they will find new renters soon despite the pandemic.

That's another thing-contrary to what those idiots at that meeting in Florida like to think, there are still plenty of people who actually are taking this pandemic seriously. Some people who do move into a new place may be even more cautious about where they live based on how well the landlord, or hell, for that matter, the town as a whole, is adhering to safety regulations and restrictions. Or there may be only so many places they can afford to move to depending on the regulations that are in place and whatnot. So there's definitely going to be some landlords who will be SOL even if people can afford to pay them, because there just won't be much incentive or demand for people to live there if it's not safe enough. 

• Love 5

Oh, btw, as a German, could people please stop comparing completely reasonable measures to Nazi Germany? We are wearing masks in shops and public transport, thank you very much, and it is the ones who protest against the notion who tend to lean towards the far right (or towards batshit crazy). If masks were a danger to democracy, we wouldn't allow them. But they just aren't, they are a sign of caring for the community.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, swanpride said:

Oh, btw, as a German, could people please stop comparing completely reasonable measures to Nazi Germany? We are wearing masks in shops and public transport, thank you very much, and it is the ones who protest against the notion who tend to lean towards the far right (or towards batshit crazy). If masks were a danger to democracy, we wouldn't allow them. But they just aren't, they are a sign of caring for the community.

Yeah, I feel like a lot of people who like to bring up Nazi comparisons in these sorts of situations don't seem to understand what the Nazis were like. Considering the Nazis dumped people into mass graves and let them live in camps in their own filth and rot and let them starve and so forth, this idea that people who want the public to wear masks for safety and sanitary reasons are somehow comparable to them is...even more bizarre. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Also, I really could've gone my entire life without hearing about that one lady not wearing underwear. Thanks for sharing?

She still made more sense than anyone else they showed.

And Magikarp evolves into Kevin Spacey? I knew DLC would ruin the franchise. Now let's get on with our miserable lives.

• Love 3

The eviction story was terrifying. I need to keep it in mind when I feel shitty about all the stuff I've missed out on this year. I don't hold a job (so I didn't have one to lose) but I'm financially stable enough to keep a roof over my head. 😔

"Let's get on with our miserable lives." John ought to put that on a T-shirt or something, and sell it online for money to donate somewhere. 

• Love 5

If there was a landlord subsidy program to waive property taxes and mortgage payments until rent can be collected, you can bet that funding would not get to small landlords with one or two leveraged investment properties.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, paigow said:

If there was a landlord subsidy program to waive property taxes and mortgage payments until rent can be collected, you can bet that funding would not get to small landlords with one or two leveraged investment properties.

I agree.  We saw this with the money to businesses.  We need government assistance for renters and to halt evictions.  With that, we need support for the small landlords who cannot meet their mortgages and other critical expenses without help.  I have friends whose landlords are most likely going to write off the loss as best they can.  However, I also have friends whose landlords have lost their jobs and are now concerned that they cannot pay their mortgage.  The talk of relief too often assumes that somehow people will be able to catch up months of missed payments.  That just cannot happen. 

• Love 5

Looks like we’ll be getting no end of “Florida Man” sightings. They couldn’t all be on the level, and yet I know that they were. Probably for the best that aired with no studio audience. They would have laughed themselves sick or vomited hearing the “let it all hang out” lady.

I haven’t had Papa John’s in a while. I like that pizza. But now I gotta remember how he’s fucked up TikTok. 🙄

• Love 2

I FFed the And Now segment because I had no intent to watch overgrown diaper babies whine and complain about having to wear a mask in public. Otherwise, I would have thrown my remote at my TV screen.

Surely it wasn't a coincidence Ollie showed a clip of the inside of John Schnatter's obscene overblown mansion right after he talked about people facing eviction due to the coronavirus. If it was designed to get people angry at him - moreso than normal - then mission accomplished!

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Annber03 said:

As for the Papa John's guy, y'know, I can honestly say I have never had any desire to look at a company executive's TikTok or other social media outlet to see what they're doing or look at their homes. This guy really thinks he's so important and interesting to where people would genuinely be interested in what he's doing, instead of wanting to mock him. Okay, then. 

The people in that clip ranting about wearing masks made my head hurt (the person ranting about how if we're wearing masks, we therefore "can't figure out who the pedophiles, etc. are". WTAF?). Also, I really could've gone my entire life without hearing about that one lady not wearing underwear. Thanks for sharing? 

Papa John’s house is ugly as shit.  I can’t even begin to comment on the giant eagle clock.  

You know the underwear woman thought she was being so cool and shocking.  

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Papa John’s house is ugly as shit.  I can’t even begin to comment on the giant eagle clock.  

I just kept wondering how much the employees who work at those restaurants get paid. 

I loved John going into detail about how eagles actually mate when talking about that clock :p. 

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, paigow said:

No Tucker??!!! So disappointing...

If you're going through withdrawal, I have a Tucker that could tide you over. This one has a lot more personality.

10 hours ago, Popples said:

I knew this would be there.

CtuQRKx.jpg

Is there a postseason in the Premier League? Or is Liverpool FC the definitive champion? As a Mets fan, I'm happy for him. You gotta treasure the titles when you can.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Is there a postseason in the Premier League? Or is Liverpool FC the definitive champion? As a Mets fan, I'm happy for him. You gotta treasure the titles when you can.

Liverpool are the champs, but there are still matches to play. They work on a points system (3 points per win and 1 point per draw) and Liverpool has 86 points (28-2-1 record) and second place Manchester City is far behind with 63. They've set 5 Premier League records, including earliest title win (7 games left to play), and can possibly set 5 more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Yeah, their victory became officially after the last won game, and there have already been first celebrations. The Liverpool fans will be ecstatic the next weeks. Not sure if that is a good thing, though. Liverpool is a Corona hotspot, most likely because of a CL game between Liverpool and Madrid in March, during which fans from Spain were allowed to attend. And now Klopp has already criticised the fans for their careless celebration. This win might come with a high price in the end.

• Useful 4
On 6/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, arachne said:

The eviction story was terrifying. I need to keep it in mind when I feel shitty about all the stuff I've missed out on this year. I don't hold a job (so I didn't have one to lose) but I'm financially stable enough to keep a roof over my head. 😔

"Let's get on with our miserable lives." John ought to put that on a T-shirt or something, and sell it online for money to donate somewhere. 

Even more terrifying is that tomorrow is July 1st -- we'll find out exactly how bad things get, and quickly.

How the fuck does one commission an artist to make a ten foot sculpture of eagles mating in air?

I'm very surprised the the company didn't take ownership of all aspects of the Papa John trademark when they took over the firm.

I've been to more than a few city council meetings. And that kind of passion is not uncommon. Try going to a zoning meeting for a solar farm or windmill facility. Or any zoning meeting for that matter.

• Love 3