Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Swenson

Happy Days

Recommended Posts

Ron Howard expected to return for season 8 - that’s why he didn’t have a farewell episode. But he got an offer from NBC in between seasons to direct TV movies, so he left. It was great to have him back for the season 11 episodes - it was the farewell that he never got.

Also, Anson Williams and Lorrie Mahaffey (Jennifer) did a pilot for a variety show. If it had been picked up, he would have left HD. I would love to see it - I bet it was a disaster. Here’s the promo for it - Ron guest starred.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Programing alert: Fonzie jumps the shark this evening at 6:30 EDST on MeTV.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/13/2021 at 12:55 PM, mmecorday said:

Programing alert: Fonzie jumps the shark this evening at 6:30 EDST on MeTV.

Nope. He jumps the shark tonight. Last night ended with that dude who was impersonating someone, who told the surfer dude to challenge Fonzi to jump the shark, and the episode ended there.

Even as a kid, I found it so LAME, that Fonzi, in CALIFORNIA, where it was SUMMER, kept his jacket on and his socks and boots! Though I think, for obvious reasons, he removed them when getting on the water skis. But he looked ridiculous.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Happy Days taught us a valuable lesson that sadly few shows have heeded:

It is ALWAYS better to go out while you’re still on top instead of going on long past your prime, replacing your stars with new characters nobody gives a shit about.

And for God’s sake, if you have a perfect theme song, don’t replace it with a cheap ripoff in your final season!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Also, skip doing a musical episode especially when half the cast can't sing.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Was that Danny Thomas who played Howard’s father? I’m too lazy to check IMDb.

Never mind I just saw the end credits and it was Danny Thomas!

Share this post


Link to post

“My Favorite Orkan” is on. I know throwing in aliens was probably the first sign of the shark that was about to be jumped — or did that happen before Mork came? — but dammit Robin, I miss you.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

“My Favorite Orkan” is on. I know throwing in aliens was probably the first sign of the shark that was about to be jumped — or did that happen before Mork came? — but dammit Robin, I miss you.

That's the joke. While most critics, fans, etc. associate "Jumping the Shark" as the event/plot/episode that is the cause for a show to end, the actual episode where Fonzi did that? The show continued to be No. 1 in the ratings for the next five to six years.

That said, No one was happy. Well, Don Most was the one who pointed out that this paved the way for the direction the show was going in, and he wasn't happy. I found an interview Ron Howard where he talked about that. And did you know? Henry actually knows how to water ski!

But yeah, I too, miss Robin. I feel a rewatch of the animated Aladdin coming upon me soon...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

This has probably been posted before, but Thomas Miller and Bob Boyett both worked as producers on Happy Days. All the annoying things about Happy Days - catch phrases, fantasy episodes, friends and neighbors needlessly elevated to series regular status - were the template for later shows they did without Garry Marshall and Ed Milkis (the other main producers on HD). They had a lot of success with lowest-common denominator comedies like Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step, etc.

Once Miller/Boyett wrested full control of “Valerie” from Valerie Harper and fired her, they fully grafted that template onto what become “The Hogan Family” as well. Harper had been fighting them on their creative vision, and that was the main source of conflict there; the salary dispute was secondary.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Watching Perry Mason -The Case of the Romantic Rogue (1959). Marion Ross is playing a leading role. You never know who will show up on Perry Mason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/21/2021 at 12:39 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

That's the joke. While most critics, fans, etc. associate "Jumping the Shark" as the event/plot/episode that is the cause for a show to end, the actual episode where Fonzi did that? The show continued to be No. 1 in the ratings for the next five to six years.

That said, No one was happy. Well, Don Most was the one who pointed out that this paved the way for the direction the show was going in, and he wasn't happy. I found an interview Ron Howard where he talked about that. And did you know? Henry actually knows how to water ski!

But yeah, I too, miss Robin. I feel a rewatch of the animated Aladdin coming upon me soon...

It seems that entire California arc came from Mr. Winkler being asked the the top brass what his hobbies were and he mentioned watersksiing- so voila. That's how the Fonz and Big Red went to Californie to supposedly audition for the movies but in reality provide the means for Mr. Winkler to do it on camera when waterskiing wasn't a well-known sport in the Milwaukee area. I'm sure Mr. Winkler NEVER waterskiied wearing a leather jacket and boots offcamera as the Fonz would for the show!  

I wonder if Mr. Winkler in his 70's has done that lately? I know he's into fly fishing (which is far more physically demanding than conventional 'drop the baited hook into the water and wait' deal). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I had somehow forgotten about the episodes where the gang (with Al in tow) goes out west to save Marion's uncle's dude ranch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I had somehow forgotten about the episodes where the gang (with Al in tow) goes out west to save Marion's uncle's dude ranch.

And, oddly enough, the audience NEVER saw said uncle . I wonder if they  decided it would be cheaper not to cast anyone or if they had no idea what kind of character he was supposed to be. 

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah - they had a few seasons where they were doing the big multipart season openers a la The Brady Bunch. Hollywood, the dude ranch, the crossover with Laverne & Shirley on the farm, the lake episodes during the Joannie & Chachi era.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size