Type keyword(s) to search

Happy Days - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Swenson said:

Ok duly noted and thanks for the correction.  But whatever happened to Spike?  They just kinda disappear like Chuck,  and Bag.   Anyway.....Chachi had that annoying waaa, waaa, waaa.....saying that I'm at least glad he grew out of.

Spike started working at a flower shop. He showed in the high school graduation episode to support Fonz. At least we know he's out there somewhere, unlike poor Chuck.

• Love 2

However ....how could Fonzie even have a nephew.....or a cousin when we don't know if he had brothers or sisters.  It was always assumed Fonzie didn't have a family.  He has a grandma .....we knew that.

7 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Spike started working at a flower shop. He showed in the high school graduation episode to support Fonz. At least we know he's out there somewhere, unlike poor Chuck.

I forgot all about that. 

• Love 1

Well dang. I just turned on my recording of last night's episode and got the Presidential briefing instead. I'm going to have to stop recording the MeTV Baltimore affiliate and start recording on the Washington MeTV affiliate.

Well, I got to see the last 8 minutes.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Well dang. I just turned on my recording of last night's episode and got the Presidential briefing instead. I'm going to have to stop recording the MeTV Baltimore affiliate and start recording on the Washington MeTV affiliate.

Well, I got to see the last 8 minutes.

Ya Missed Ben Cartright! That's right, Lorne Green made a cameo, dressed as Ben Cartright!

• Love 1

The dog made more than one appearance. I remember the first one, and then an episode when they thought he was depressed but turned out he was lovelorn. I don't remember if there were other appearances or mentions before he just disappeared.

Was Fonzie's eyeglasses suppose to be permanent? I thought Dr. Malph said he only needed them until his eyes regained strength but I'm not positive.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

The dog made more than one appearance. I remember the first one, and then an episode when they thought he was depressed but turned out he was lovelorn. I don't remember if there were other appearances or mentions before he just disappeared.

He comes back later this season, episode 19 in "Spunkless Spunky".

58 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Was Fonzie's eyeglasses suppose to be permanent? I thought Dr. Malph said he only needed them until his eyes regained strength but I'm not positive.

That's what Fonzie thought, but Ralph's dad, who was his doctor, said he had to wear them. But I wasn't really paying attention, since the actor who played him, is the same one who played Howard on The Andy Griffith Show, and I couldn't stand Howard. But the show had Alan Openheimer play Ralph's dad in Season Four's "A.K.A. The Fonz" where the badge in town was trying to run Fonzie out of town, just because.

• Love 2

I cancelled my recordings of Happy Days on the MeTV Baltimore affiliate and changed it to the MeTV Washington DC affiliate. Just checked both stations that are to be airing Adam-12. The Baltimore affiliate is showing the Presidential press conference, the DC affiliate is showing Adam-12. Hopefully that will solve my preemption problem.

• Love 1

Scott Baio was 15-16 years old when he played Chachi. He was hardly a tween at all. Probably the character was supposed to be, but he was not when he played his character. 

In all seriousness, I think his cousin Jimmy was the better actor in that family. 

Lots of actors play characters older or younger than they are. I don't care for Scott either, but his portrayal of Chachi doesn't bother me.

Watching the 3 part opener of this season reminds me of why "jumped the shark" became so entrenched with "this show has run its course". I watched thinking - what happened to this cute fun show? It's gone.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Scott Baio was 15-16 years old when he played Chachi. He was hardly a tween at all. Probably the character was supposed to be, but he was not when he played his character. 

20 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Lots of actors play characters older or younger than they are. I don't care for Scott either, but his portrayal of Chachi doesn't bother me.

Well, my point was he looked and sounded like a tween/early teens and I could separate the actor from the role. We'll see if I can still maintain when he and Joanie fall in love.

21 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Watching the 3 part opener of this season reminds me of why "jumped the shark" became so entrenched with "this show has run its course". I watched thinking - what happened to this cute fun show? It's gone.

What I found so utterly ridiculous about this three-parter was Fonzie's insistence on wearing his LEATHER jacket on the BEACH in SUMMER in California! AND socks and his boots! You could see when he was on the water, that Henry was wearing black swim booties, but when Fonzie was back on the beach, there were those darned socks and boots! The only time he was barefoot was after he had jumped over JAWS the shark. The best part of the final episode was in the beginning when Richie said all it took was for Fonzie to miss, and "CHOMP! CHOMP! CHOMP!"

I absolutely ADORE Ronny, er, I mean Ron Howard. If MeTV continues to air this through the end of the series, I know the episode when Richie returns is going to GUT me. That is, the final scene between Ron and Henry, when Fonzie tells Richie he loves him. Because that was ALL Ron and Henry.

• Love 2

I don't mind the show after the shark episode. For me, it was never the same after Richie and Ralph left. And the final nail was after Joanie and Chachi left. What's the point without even one Cunningham kid? Even when Joanie and Chachi came back, they were not the same characters.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I don't mind the show after the shark episode. For me, it was never the same after Richie and Ralph left. And the final nail was after Joanie and Chachi left. What's the point without even one Cunningham kid? Even when Joanie and Chachi came back, they were not the same characters.

Agree. I think I mentioned this in the character you hate thread, but I LOATHED Jenny Piccolo and how the show just centered around her. Roger was, what? A cousin? And Skip, his brother? BLEAGH.

But Richie was the HEART of the show for me. I admit, it’s my ❤️ For Ronny/Ron going back to his role as Opie.

Even though he was a very successful director when it premiered, I had always hoped to have Ron guest star on Matlock. If only as a reunion with Andy and Don.

Crossing fingers that we’ll get all seasons though, just for Ronny/Ron’s return after he left.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But Richie was the HEART of the show for me.

For me it was the friendship between Richie and Fonzi.   The show was just kinda eh until they played up the friendship between the two.  Their friendship just seemed so genuine to me.  Which of course was helped by that chemistry between the two actors.  You totally believed those two characters were friends.

Over the weekend I watched Night Shift. Directed of course by Ron Howard and starring Henry Winkler.  It is still funny almost 40 years later.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

For me it was the friendship between Richie and Fonzi.   The show was just kinda eh until they played up the friendship between the two.  Their friendship just seemed so genuine to me.  Which of course was helped by that chemistry between the two actors.  You totally believed those two characters were friends.

Over the weekend I watched Night Shift. Directed of course by Ron Howard and starring Henry Winkler.  It is still funny almost 40 years later.

Oh absolutely. And not just the chemistry, but the real life friendship between Ron and Henry.

• Love 4

The show really started to go bad for me when they gave up giving the actors appropriate haircuts for the time period. I think because they let Scott Baio keep his anachronistic 70s hair the other guys were like "Why do we have to keep ours so short?" and let their hair grow longer.

4866647_1058_fonzie_happy_days_45_anni_prima_e_dopo.thumb.jpg.eac77a1a427104946f7a30e7af774b56.jpg

• Love 2

Anyway.....Chachi had that annoying waaa, waaa, waaa.....saying that I'm at least glad he grew out of.

Yeah, every time he starts up with that, I want to yell, "Stop trying to make waaa waaa waaa a thing!"

• Love 4
On 8/16/2020 at 12:13 PM, VCRTracking said:

The show really started to go bad for me when they gave up giving the actors appropriate haircuts for the time period. I think because they let Scott Baio keep his anachronistic 70s hair the other guys were like "Why do we have to keep ours so short?" and let their hair grow longer.

4866647_1058_fonzie_happy_days_45_anni_prima_e_dopo.thumb.jpg.eac77a1a427104946f7a30e7af774b56.jpg

I don't think it was just Chachi. While I loved Garry Marshall, what the frack was up with Leather Tuscadero and that hairstyle she sported? Were those kind of styles EVEN around in the late 50s?! Or even Morgan Fairchild's in "My Fair Fonzie"? I can accept Joanie's short do, because I recall Annette Funicello had something similar.

1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

Remember when he tried to make a fad out of tying a bandanna around his leg? 

That ALWAYS made my eyes (even as a tween) ROLL SO HARD. Along with the jeans and jean jacket.

• Love 2

Garry thinking kids in the late 70s would tie a rag around their leg just because Chachi did was so "embarrassing uncle at Thanksgiving" of him.

I'm guessing Chachi was a cousin on Fonz' mom's side and not the dad who was a Merchant Marine. They missed an opportunity not having Kat Mandu be Fonzie's half sister since she hung around sailors so much.

• Love 1

Potsie never seemed to have parents.....I know they're mentioned....and I know it's like a running gag suggesting Potsie's folks would rather not even acknowledge him.  But why when he needs life advice it's up to Mr. C?  Anyway getting pinned is kinda like a wedding so it gave the producers yet another opportunity to make us listen to cheesy singing....lately we've had Suzi Quatro and then Danny Thomas as "Cap" Cunningham ....I know the cheesy Valentine's singing episode is ahead.  In all actuality.....Anson Williams did hit #93 on the Hot 100 in 1977 if the goal was for the show to generate hit songs....Donny Most also had a #97 hit....so I guess it worked.

9 minutes ago, Swenson said:

Potsie never seemed to have parents.....I know they're mentioned....and I know it's like a running gag suggesting Potsie's folks would rather not even acknowledge him.  But why when he needs life advice it's up to Mr. C?  Anyway getting pinned is kinda like a wedding so it gave the producers yet another opportunity to make us listen to cheesy singing....lately we've had Suzi Quatro and then Danny Thomas as "Cap" Cunningham ....I know the cheesy Valentine's singing episode is ahead.  In all actuality.....Anson Williams did hit #93 on the Hot 100 in 1977 if the goal was for the show to generate hit songs....Donny Most also had a #97 hit....so I guess it worked.

I believe we did see Potsie’s dad. Like once. I don’t remember.

And clearly Potsie getting pinned was a one-off and he forgot about Jennifer, because he was sniffing after other girls after that Very Special Episode. Just like Ralph. After making a huuuuuge deal that he and Kitty (what? Did Audrey and Judy Landers have the same agent that both would appear on the same show?) were forever and EVER! After she finally dumped the dumb jock in “Requiem for Ralph”, yet no more Kitty after that and he’s dogging after other girls.🙄🙄🙄🙄

Why bother with these episodes implying that Potsie and Ralph have found THE ONE, only for it to not be the case at all?

12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I believe we did see Potsie’s dad. Like once. I don’t remember.

And clearly Potsie getting pinned was a one-off and he forgot about Jennifer, because he was sniffing after other girls after that Very Special Episode. Just like Ralph. After making a huuuuuge deal that he and Kitty (what? Did Audrey and Judy Landers have the same agent that both would appear on the same show?) were forever and EVER! After she finally dumped the dumb jock in “Requiem for Ralph”, yet no more Kitty after that and he’s dogging after other girls.🙄🙄🙄🙄

Why bother with these episodes implying that Potsie and Ralph have found THE ONE, only for it to not be the case at all?

It was just an excuse to see notorious coward Ralph try to box buff as hell Reb Brown(I think this was either before or after he played Captain America in those crappy TV movies) and for Anson to sing a love song. Richie stayed true to Laurie Beth though even with her Lorene Yarnell haircut!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 2

Suzi Quatro....now age 70 and still actively performing ...made a total of 7 appearances as Leather on the show and at one point producer Garry Marshall offered her a "Leather Tuscadero" spinoff which she smartly turned down saying she didn't want to be typecast (like a Brady kid) into one role.  She's a homegrown girl....Elektra in America had wanted to make her the next "Janis Joplin"....but opted to go with producer Mickie Most to England so she could make it by being Suzi.  She found success with a #1 UK hit "Devil Gate Drive".....but not much in the U.S. until "Stumblin' In" with Chris Norman in 1979 went top five.

• Love 2
On 8/22/2020 at 10:10 AM, VCRTracking said:

It was just an excuse to see notorious coward Ralph try to box buff as hell Reb Brown(I think this was either before or after he played Captain America in those crappy TV movies) and for Anson to sing a love song. Richie stayed true to Laurie Beth though even with her Lorene Yarnell haircut!

It's Lori Beth.

And oh look! Jennifer returns for the Valentine Day's episode. Jeepers. Why not just have her recur every time they wanted to show Potsie and Ralph out on dates?

And how'd I forget that Peter Brady guest starred as Binky--Joanie's date for the same episode?

I always get choked up during any emotional scenes that Ron/Henry have, and the one in "Richie Almost Dies" is another one. When Fonzie is telling Richie how much Richie means to him, then prays to God, to save Richie and then just breaks down sobbing? I'm sobbing right along with him!

And another Rance Howard cameo in "Spunkless Spunky"! This time as the irate new neighbor! I find it interesting how Ron and his father, while appearing in the same scene, never actually exchange any dialogue, in either of the episodes I've seen thus far.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I always get choked up during any emotional scenes that Ron/Henry have, and the one in "Richie Almost Dies" is another one. When Fonzie is telling Richie how much Richie means to him, then prays to God, to save Richie and then just breaks down sobbing? I'm sobbing right along with him!

This is I think my favorite episode of the entire series.  I've been known to watch the scenes on youtube. The episode that aired yesterday cut out Leather singing during the flashbacks of Richie.   Don't know if it's true or not but this is supposedly Henry Winkler's favorite episode as well.

The song is in this clip. Have Kleenex handy.

I cannot watch that episode. I can't watch the Valentine's Day episode either because the schmaltz level is off the charts.

16 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

This is I think my favorite episode of the entire series.  I've been known to watch the scenes on youtube. The episode that aired yesterday cut out Leather singing during the flashbacks of Richie.   Don't know if it's true or not but this is supposedly Henry Winkler's favorite episode as well.

The song is in this clip. Have Kleenex handy.

The other one that gets me choked up is when Ron Howard returns--not the series finale, but it's a two-parter where he's a struggling writer, and the good-bye scene in part two: that's totally Henry and Ron.

4 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I can't watch the Valentine's Day episode either because the schmaltz level is off the charts.

The Fast-forward button is my friend with this episode.

In the Valentine's Day episode, I actually like Potsie and Jennifer's song ever since I was a kid. I got all nostalgic hearing it again. I also like Howard and Marion's segment. Imagine my surprise when I watched Gigi years after Happy Days ended and realised that's where the song came from. I usually skip the rest of the episode.

Richie and the Fonz have had many touching scenes but I also really love the funny ones like the moments where the Fonz isn't being cool. Like when Richie is investigating the bad meat used in the school cafeteria and the Fonz' reaction to his "Kryptonite", liver!

KQwCd-1591066968-hd4-13.jpg.cf66092cb0b5677b5844bacdfbe84837.jpg

• Love 1

In last night's clip episode where Lori Beth is writing about middle class families..... there's a girlfriend Richie didnt recall......the time he was set up with a blind date for a halloween party.  She towered over him making him self concious about how they looked together.

On the topic of girlfriends, back in the day I remember watching reruns of Linda Purl as Richie's girlfriend Gloria in the early seasons, and then watching her as Fonzie's girlfriend Ashley on primetime. And stupidly never made the connection back then. 

The Halloween episode with Gloria is still scary.

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I gotta admit, the sap in me loved the call out to Opie in “Mork from Ork” while Mork was waiting for Richie to come downstairs.

I think it’s 1960 in season Five, I think.

That reminds me of the episode where Joanie works at a movie theater to save up for a car. Marion wanted to watch The Music Man because the little boy on the poster reminds her of Richie.

• Love 4

Don't ever aggrevate Richie,  because when he calls you "Bucko".....he means business.  The Cunningham's head to Colorado in the newest multi part adventure which finds them assisting Marion's Uncle Ben in running the Bar A dude ranch and hopefully raise enough money to pay off the deed held by those mean spirited sidewinders.  Naturally, there has to be a purdy little filly wrangler there to once again test Richie and Fonzie's friendship as the filly named Thunder catches Fonz's fancy.....but she only has eyes for Licorice....(her horse).....and maybe a little bit for Rich.  So there.....Fonz kerps doing these uncool un-fonz like things like dancing ballet and doing a do-cee-doe and he wonders why he doesn't get the girl.  Next thing he might trade in his leather jacket for a western vest with fringe.  Anyway, there's gonna be a ro-dee-oh at the ranch and hopefully Al will get that side of beef done in time.  Somebody is gonna ride Diablo the killer bull....who else but the guy who jumped thirteen garbage cans on a motorcycle.....a shark pen on waterskis....will he do it?   We'll find out soon.

• LOL 2

Over the weekend I watched an episode that I had completely forgotten about. The Fonz temporarily lost his sight and was rightfully freaked out about it. The show never worked for me when the writers made an occasional swerve into very special episode territory.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Over the weekend I watched an episode that I had completely forgotten about. The Fonz temporarily lost his sight and was rightfully freaked out about it. The show never worked for me when the writers made an occasional swerve into very special episode territory.

Although I enjoyed the part where he stabbed Richie's hand with a fork.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

Same. But I loved Richie’s tough love, while everyone else was enabling Fonzie’s self pity.

16 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Although I enjoyed the part where he stabbed Richie's hand with a fork.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!🤪🤪🤪🤪

But boy did Erin Moran bloom between the end of season five and beginning of six!

Another Very Special Episode is coming: Joanie and her smoking.

Aaaaaayyyyy!......the western adventure has a happy ending.  Fonz saves the ranch AND he lassoed the philly.....MY HERO!   And Richie....what a humble and lovable guy ... when it seemed no one wanted to recognize him after the two of them saved Joanie from the fleeing haywagon.....Richie made sure Fonz got his due.....then saved him from the bull after Fonz had made the ride.  Way to go amundo Bucko!   Tell Al the beef is done.

• Love 1