Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E11: Chase Boat Rescue

• Start Topic

Listing heavily and taking on water, Junior calls on chase boat rescue for the first time in series history. Wild Bill sends Nick 20 feet off the deck in spite of his fear of heights. Josh and Casey hit a massive wave that knocks out greenhorn Maria.

Sooo quiet in here! I love seeing not only how badass Maria is, but the respect she receives on deck for being a legitimately good, strong worker. She has clearly won their respect. The contrast between her injury and the other greenhorn who hit his shoulder sliding on the table last week was so stark. She had a HEAD injury and was rarin' to go (which isn't always a good thing -- be cautious!), while he seemed to me to be malingering. Pop a half dozen advil and get out there, greenhorn.

I also found the mechanics of the Lady Alaska really interesting. Watching it start to list was terrifying. The fleet racing headlong into a Siberian Blast is exactly why I love this show! Plus, they're almost all on good fishing right now. That's a lot more fun to watch than pulling empty pots.

• Love 2

Just don't get why Junior and his dad did not make sure the Lady Alaska was really sea worthy before taking her out like they did.  She had not been in the water for awhile before they bought her.  But Junior was definitely terrified-as he should be.

I really like Maria.  She is one badass.

• Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, iluvobx said:

Just don't get why Junior and his dad did not make sure the Lady Alaska was really sea worthy before taking her out like they did. 

When they were dealing with problem after problem with the Lady Alaska, I heard Judge Judy and Judge Milian in my head, looking at Junior and asking, "Did you have a mechanic look at this before you bought it?"

Edited by AZChristian
Judge Judy, not Judge Judge
  • LOL 3

From the edit, we saw a world of difference from how Junior prepped for sea and how Wild Bill and Keith did.  The Hillstrands weren't perfect, but they also invested heavily in drydocking maintenance.  They all still ran into some bigtime problems at sea.

Disco at least fessed up about their lie in the last ep about Junior earning enough from Reds and cod to afford the Lady Alaska.  It sure seems to me they were so cash poor they could not afford a proper/thorough mechanical examination and most assuredly, any fixes.  They aren't the first business to get into something without sufficient capital.  The problem is this one is a wee bit dangerous.

Did Wild Bill really risk 100 pots on a barren spot?  Wow.  I have had my issues with Nick, but darned if he did not come though like a champ with that light.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Wow.  I have had my issues with Nick, but darned if he did not come though like a champ with that light.  

My husband works maintenance in a factory.   He sometimes has to climb to the top of a 80 foot silo to fix a motor.    During that scene all I could think was "at least hubby doesn't have to do it on a boat, at night, in the freezing cold."

• Love 1