Type keyword(s) to search

Hamilton (2020)

xaxat
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, Enigma X said:

To me it is written so well, that I don't notice the length much.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I found the first half compelling, and then the second half was so tedious.  Even the Maria Reynolds episode was written in an "oh well, yeah he strayed, but it didn't matter" manner.  I was relieved when I finally reached the epilogue.

• Love 2

I read it, too, but was only about halfway through when I saw the musical. A friend said he was grateful that Hamilton died at 47(ish) because 818 pages was plenty long enough.

• LOL 5

Oh, I can go on about Chernow's bio but won't do it here, because it is not the right setting. I will say that, although I found it an easy read, at points he was overly pedantic. 

On 7/27/2020 at 9:53 PM, Brn2bwild said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I found the first half compelling, and then the second half was so tedious.  Even the Maria Reynolds episode was written in an "oh well, yeah he strayed, but it didn't matter" manner.  I was relieved when I finally reached the epilogue.

I don't know if it's a minority opinion, but it certainly isn't mine!  🙃 I actually prefer the 2nd half, for the most part.  The two Cabinet rap battles are thrilling, and Thomas Jefferson's presence throughout this half gives it an extra jolt of formidable conflict. I don't find the Maria Reynolds episode at all ho-hum, and Jasmine Cephas Jones's vocal on Say No to This is so great. The Room Where It Happened is a major turning point, and musical showcase, for Burr. Hurricane lets us into Hamilton's mindset -- he just can't help himself when it comes to thinking that he can write his way out of anything. Burn shows us how much this arrogance cost and hurt Eliza.  I start sniffling during It's Quiet Uptown, and always break down completely by Who Lives, Who Dies... Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to recommend the first half as well, but I like how so many forces come to a head in the second.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

I don't know if it's a minority opinion, but it certainly isn't mine!  🙃 I actually prefer the 2nd half, for the most part.  The two Cabinet rap battles are thrilling, and Thomas Jefferson's presence throughout this half gives it an extra jolt of formidable conflict. I don't find the Maria Reynolds episode at all ho-hum, and Jasmine Cephas Jones's vocal on Say No to This is so great. The Room Where It Happened is a major turning point, and musical showcase, for Burr. Hurricane lets us into Hamilton's mindset -- he just can't help himself when it comes to thinking that he can write his way out of anything. Burn shows us how much this arrogance cost and hurt Eliza.  I start sniffling during It's Quiet Uptown, and always break down completely by Who Lives, Who Dies... Don't get me wrong, there is plenty to recommend the first half as well, but I like how so many forces come to a head in the second.

Oh no, no, I'm not talking about the musical... I was talking about the biography it was based on.  I actually really enjoy the second half of the musical!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

Oh no, no, I'm not talking about the musical... I was talking about the biography it was based on.  I actually really enjoy the second half of the musical!

Ah, sorry about that.  It can be difficult to follow discussions here sometimes.  🙄  Glad you enjoyed Act 2!!

Watched this one last time on Friday before canceling my Disney Plus subscription.  L-MM may not be the strongest singer/dancer, but I think he is a pretty good actor.  I always start sniffling during Quiet Uptown, but this time his close-ups had me blubbering.  

• Love 7

One difference I noticed between the Broadway show I saw and the film is that Hamilton/L-MM had white hair starting with “It’s Quiet Uptown” on Broadway but not in the movie. I wonder if the change to white hair has been modified since 2015. (I also saw a touring production in 2018 but can’t remember.) Has anyone else noticed?

11 hours ago, Babalu said:

One difference I noticed between the Broadway show I saw and the film is that Hamilton/L-MM had white hair starting with “It’s Quiet Uptown” on Broadway but not in the movie. I wonder if the change to white hair has been modified since 2015. (I also saw a touring production in 2018 but can’t remember.) Has anyone else noticed?

In the touring productions, Hamilton doesn't have white hair. In the bootleg of the Broadway show with the OBC, LMM's hair isn't white either.

Interesting; thanks for your responses. They must have changed it very soon after Hamilton opened OR I completely imagined it. But I have such a vivid recollection of it! I’ll have to ask the friends I went with.

Leslie Odom, Jr. was prepared to miss the filmed version of the hit musical after producers held out on his request for pay parity until the eve of production

The day before the movie (shoot), we were still in negotiations of whether I was gonna do the movie, because the movie had been announced..., but no one had called my agent to ask if I'd wanted to do (the filmed play)," he explained on the Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard podcast.

"It was assumed that we wanted to do the movie and that we would do it for a certain number, and all this stuff was assumed.

"And mind you, we were a week before the (Broadway) contracts end, so it's like, the wonderful thing about what's happening in the streets (protests for racial equality), is it has opened the door for more honest conversation..."

He continued: "They came to me with an offer: 'Leslie, we're shooting tomorrow...' And I'm like, 'Here's the thing: this is my area of expertise, this is my life's work, this is all I have. This is my life's work on the stage..., and so I just can't sell it away for magic beans; I can't give it away...'"

Leslie asked his representative at talent agency CAA to find out how much his "white counterpart" Aaron [Tveit] made for Grease: Live, and requested he receive the same compensation.

• Love 9
On 8/3/2020 at 9:14 AM, Inquisitionist said:

Watched this one last time on Friday before canceling my Disney Plus subscription.  L-MM may not be the strongest singer/dancer, but I think he is a pretty good actor.  I always start sniffling during Quiet Uptown, but this time his close-ups had me blubbering.  

1000% agree. I also canceled Disney Plus, so I watched one more time before my billing cycle ends. LMM’s acting is brilliant, I just watch his face in Quiet Uptown and in the final number, and yes, tears start a-flow in’! I don’t know how he did it every night of the show.

• Love 2
On 8/14/2020 at 8:25 PM, cpcathy said:

1000% agree. I also canceled Disney Plus, so I watched one more time before my billing cycle ends. LMM’s acting is brilliant, I just watch his face in Quiet Uptown and in the final number, and yes, tears start a-flow in’! I don’t know how he did it every night of the show.

On my second watch, I noticed that Angelica has tears in her eyes when she begins "It's Quiet Uptown," and at two other points (third watch), Eliza has rolling tears.  That floored me, since, who would notice that from the audience, yet both actors were so totally committed.  I had watched a video essay (relating to the film version of Les Miz) all about how actors should not cry when they sing a sad song, but L-MM's choked up verses in "Quiet," as Eliza will not look at him, were really effective.  

On the comedy side, I loved the transition of "can we get back to politics?" with Madison's tearful, "Please?!"  Diggs as Jefferson is my favorite thing to watch in the background of any scene he's in.   

• Love 7
On 8/19/2020 at 11:59 AM, Archery said:

On my second watch, I noticed that Angelica has tears in her eyes when she begins "It's Quiet Uptown," and at two other points (third watch), Eliza has rolling tears.  That floored me, since, who would notice that from the audience, yet both actors were so totally committed.  I had watched a video essay (relating to the film version of Les Miz) all about how actors should not cry when they sing a sad song, but L-MM's choked up verses in "Quiet," as Eliza will not look at him, were really effective.  

On the comedy side, I loved the transition of "can we get back to politics?" with Madison's tearful, "Please?!"  Diggs as Jefferson is my favorite thing to watch in the background of any scene he's in.   

Pretty sure Christopher Jackson cries at the end of One Last Time too, I know he does in the WH performance. I still want to see this on stage but I truly appreciate the close ups.

• Love 3

Daveed Diggs is hosting a celebrity storytime as a fundraiser for Fairyland (which was the inspiration for Disneyland) tonight at 6:30pm! You can watch at https://www.twitch.tv/fairylandca

Kamala Harris, W. Kamau Bell, Boots Riley, Glynn Washington, Kathreen Khavari, Dave Cook, Erika Gonzalez, Jill Guerra, Sean Erick, Peter Limata, Meena Harris, and Tontra Love are just some of the storytellers scheduled to appear!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
On 7/27/2020 at 5:11 AM, Enigma X said:

I am just curious if anyone has read the Hamilton bio that inspired LMM? I did when it first came out (and am re-reading it now) and took it upon myself while in high school to read two other bios on Hamilton. 

I know you asked this a long time ago, but I just lifted a family curse and finished Chernow's biography.  I listened to it - all 35 hours!  It was fascinating to compare those politics to what's happening today, and not find many differences.  The other thing I noticed was that in his duel with Burr, Hamilton actually referred to "throwing away his shot" when he fired in the air, not at Burr.   And Aaron Burr was a real piece of work.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

I know you asked this a long time ago, but I just lifted a family curse and finished Chernow's biography.  I listened to it - all 35 hours!  It was fascinating to compare those politics to what's happening today, and not find many differences.  The other thing I noticed was that in his duel with Burr, Hamilton actually referred to "throwing away his shot" when he fired in the air, not at Burr.   And Aaron Burr was a real piece of work.

Yes, very interesting to me as well. But, as I said up thread, I have been intrigued by Alexander Hamilton since I was 15 (back in the '90s).

Family curse??? I hope all is well.

Looking at Arron Burr objectively,  base on the story, I should hate him but I can't because Leslie is so good. I love Leslie . I can't count how many times I have watch Hamilton but I still can't stop rewinding Burr's scene. Because of Leslie, instead of hating Burr, I feel sorry for him. 

I love all the cast members, I think all of them were great. 

I'm so happy for Renee's success,  as someone who knew her from OLTL when I was a little girl watching it with my Mom. I hated how she was treated on that show, so to see her shine brighter than ever, makes me really happy.

Anyway, I still have a Disney account simply because this show is my happy place. It came pretty handing last night and today, instead of stressing over the election,  I was able to experience this show again, and see new things. 

Edited by SevenStars
  • Love 6

Some more recent multicast performances:

Dear Theodosia:

In order of appearance:

Hamiltons

Jamael Westman - Eliza
Julius Thomas III - And Peggy
Pierre Jean Gonzalez - Philip
Joseph Morales - Philip
Edred Utomi - Angelica
Miguel Cervantes - Broadway

Burrs
Nicholas Christopher - Eliza
Josh Tower - Angelica
Jared Dixon - Philip

The Schuyler Sisters:

In order of appearance:

Ashley de la Rosa - Peggy (And Peggy Company)
Marja Harmon - Angelica (And Peggy Company)
Taylor Iman Jones - Peggy (Eliza Company)
Zoe Jensen - Eliza (Angelica Company)
Sabrina Sloan - Angelica (Eliza Company)
Yana Perrault - Peggy (Angelica Company)
Joanna A. Jones - Eliza (Eliza Company)
Tarea Campbell - Angelica (Philip Company)
Victoria Ann Scovens - Eliza (And Peggy Company)

• Love 3
16 hours ago, SevenStars said:

Looking at Arron Burr objectively,  base on the story, I should hate him but I can't because Leslie is so good. I love Leslie . I can't count how many times I have watch Hamilton but I still can't stop rewinding Burr's scene. Because of Leslie, instead of hating Burr, I feel sorry for him. 

I read somewhere that there really is no way to objectively study Aaron Burr without falling in love with him.  It might have been in the Chernow book about Alexander Hamilton.  I do know I attempted to read Nancy Isenberg's biography of Aaron Burr, but bailed when I realized she could not be objective about Aaron.  

On 8/3/2020 at 5:14 PM, Inquisitionist said:

L-MM may not be the strongest singer/dancer,

How can you even say that?

tumblr_po14a56rVp1qh0nwmo2_500.gifv

I'm not really a fan of most of the music in Hamilton, but the story is interesting and the fact that a show about one of the lesser known Founding Fathers and the birth of the Republic became one of the hottest musicals ever will never not put a smile on my face.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Award for Outstanding Producer of Televised or Streamed Motion Pictures

“Bad Education” (HBO)
Producers: Fred Berger, Eddie Vaisman

“Dolly Parton’s Christmas on the Square“
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“Hamilton” (Disney Plus)
Producers: Thomas Kail, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Jeffrey Seller

“Jane Goodall: The Hope“

“What the Constitution Means To Me“

• Love 1

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Variety, Reality-Competition, Live Television
Dancing with the Stars: "Villains Night" – Daniela Gschwendtner & Steven Norman Lee
Hamilton – Paul Tazewell
The Masked Dancer: "Premiere" – Gabrielle Letamendi & Candice Rainwater
The Masked Singer: "The Semi Finals" – Marina Toybina
Saturday Night Live: "John Mulaney / The Strokes" – Tom Broecker & Eric Justian