Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Ace of Stew Face

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, dosodog said:

I dont think I'm being sexist by pointing out that Malia is new to the bosun position and as with anyone in a new position, should have the chance to gain experience and seasoning.

I think Ringo was being sexist with the "in over her head" because Malia has been a deckhand for some time and proved she was good at her job.  Being a supervisor is relatively new for her and she will find her style.  I wouldn't expect her to be how she is now as a bosun as she will be at the end of the charter season.

I will ponder what I said previously with an eye towards reflecting on if it was sexist, but at this point, I'm not sure how I was sexist. 

@dosodog - Apologies for my bad editing/formatting skills- I did indeed cite Ringo Kidd’s “in over her head” comment as sexist, but I inserted your quote because I agree with what you said!

#NotSexist!

Sorry for not making that clear.  Again, I’m blaming it on poor formatting.  😐 

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

@dosodog - Apologies for my bad editing/formatting skills- I did indeed cite Ringo Kidd’s “in over her head” comment as sexist, but I inserted your quote because I agree with what you said!

#NotSexist!

Sorry for not making that clear.  Again, I’m blaming it on poor formatting.  😐 

😃  Thank you for clarifying!  I try not to be an ahole.  Usually if I am it's from ignorance.  But when its pointed out to me, I try to do better.

This season, I am really enjoying Malia and her storyline.  I think it would be interesting down the line to have a season with Malia, returning as Bosun and Rhylee coming in as a deckhand. 

• Love 9
27 minutes ago, dosodog said:

😃  Thank you for clarifying!  I try not to be an ahole.  Usually if I am it's from ignorance.  But when its pointed out to me, I try to do better.

This season, I am really enjoying Malia and her storyline.  I think it would be interesting down the line to have a season with Malia, returning as Bosun and Rhylee coming in as a deckhand. 

#NotAnAHole!  And wow, I really admire your open mindedness.  Sign of the times.  (I mean that in a good way).  A lot of societal norms are shifting right now (another good thing!), and I’m trying to learn a lot, too.

I’m enjoying Malia’s storyline, too.  I think Bravo was almost forced to cast a female bosun after the disgusting and sexist shenanigans of the past few seasons, and I think I even sent a tweet to Bravo suggesting Rhylee as bosun since she’s experienced and strong, and probably because she was on the current season.  (There’s such a rotating cast of characters that they all blend together in my head).  I never even considered Malia since I only remember her from that stupid love triangle with awful Adam and the other guy.  So I was surprised to see her as so ambitious and serious about yachting and moving up the ranks.  Good for her.  And I think it would be fascinating to see her and Rhylee work together.  Rhylee was certainly a loose canon, but it would be interesting to see how much of that was a reaction to the misogyny she faced.... Interesting idea!

• Love 6
12 hours ago, scrb said:

But if the producers didn't like this helicopter captaining, they'd discourage her and probably wouldn't be featuring so many scenes of it over at least the last couple of seasons.

They could put a stop to it immediately, or at least make sure viewers never saw it.

My point is, no one is forcing Captain Sandy into being a micromanaging camera seeker. It's who she is. To quote Heather B (The Real World S1) "they use what you gave them"  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, snarts said:

My point is, no one is forcing Captain Sandy into being a micromanaging camera seeker. It's who she is. To quote Heather B (The Real World S1) "they use what you gave them"  

I find Sand’s micromanaging a little annoying too. However, Lee sits up on the bridge, tells people to solve their own problems and then claims ignorance (if only I had known) when troubles erupt below.

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, janiema said:

I find Sand’s micromanaging a little annoying too. However, Lee sits up on the bridge, tells people to solve their own problems and then claims ignorance (if only I had known) when troubles erupt below.

Sandy micromanages, walks all over the boat and then still claims ignorance (if Hannah had told me...) when troubles erupt below.

• Love 11

Malia didn’t run to Sandy she was talking to Sandy and mentioned it. Sandy then wanted more camera time and made them all come up to talk. Anyways Pete is a a douche loser. His response was he’s a good ol country boy from Virginia like that’s some excuse for his shit behaviour.

• Love 7
On 6/24/2020 at 7:27 PM, dosodog said:

I try not to be an ahole.  Usually if I am it's from ignorance.  But when its pointed out to me, I try to do better.

Can I make this my mantra? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

1st Malia says something about Pete having more experience.  He condescendingly offers "a few pointers."

Malia says:  Treat me like one of the "boys"  Bad move.

She calls them guys, then boys again asking about girlfriends. 

Daddy Pete was "young, dumb, and full of ***".  Really gross to say to your new female boss.

1st sweetheart.  She's unhappy in a TH.  He makes another snide comment I missed, same TH frustration.

Wash the boat, she says nice job guys.  Tells Pete aside "when I need you to take over, I'll let you know."

She briefly tells Hannah about Pete at bedtime.

Pete screws up his bow line and leaves his post early.  Sandy flips out.  Malia firmly tells him to not do that.

2nd sweetheart doing jet-ski launch.  She kind of gives him a look, complains in a TH.

Rolling into episode 2.  Second day of charter.

Then, putting out the water toys, he calls her "Master", she says Malia is fine.  More TH.  Still no real push-back.

More "boys" talk with Alex.

Next day, something with the valves, Malia finally gets in Pete's face that she's the boss. 

No sweeties, but IMHO, she let him slide way too long.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

@PaperTree that was exactly my recollection-- that all the complaints about sweetie (THAT WE SAW anyway) were THs, she pushed back a bit with the "When I need you to take over I'll let you know" but left off the second half of that order "and when I don't ask, you're NOT in charge."

She could have done a lot more, right from the beginning.

• Love 3
On 6/22/2020 at 11:10 PM, howiveaddict said:

Loved all the film of the crew enjoying the little ones. 

On 6/24/2020 at 1:12 PM, psychoticstate said:

The best part of this episode was seeing Roy Orbison's grandson singing Pretty Woman -- pwetty woman, walking down the stweet -- on his little guitar and then mentioning his "gwandfather" sang it.  

Soo... am I the only one who found those no neck monsters insufferable? Just me? I'll show myself out........

• Love 5
On 6/27/2020 at 2:52 PM, NowVoyager said:

Soo... am I the only one who found those no neck monsters insufferable? Just me? I'll show myself out........

You weren't the only one. I'm no fan of children in general, to be honest, and the children of wealthy celebrities are certainly no better. 

I don't have an issue with Cpt. Sandi's perceived micromanagement. Nor do I think it's something that she does for camera time. I think that, as a woman, she's had to endure quite a bit of pushback as a captain. As a result, she wants things to be done perfectly because, if it's not, she knows it'll be chalked up to the idea that women are unable to lead. That's also why Cpt. Lee can get away with the hands off approach. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Stinger97 said:

and the children of wealthy celebrities are certainly no better. 

Well he was the grandchild of a celebrity who has been dead for 30 plus years, no one knows who his dad is or wouldn’t if his name wasn’t Jr.. I like children but I found his saying “this is my grandpa’s song” before singing Pretty Woman to rehearsed to be cute.

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Well he was the grandchild of the a celebrity who has been dead for 40 plus years, no one knows who his dad is or wouldn’t if his name wasn’t Jr.. I like children but I found his saying “this is my grandpa’s song” before singing Pretty Woman to rehearsed to be cute.

My disdain extends to the grandchildren of celebrities, too. I'm nothing if not consistent!

• LOL 3
On 6/27/2020 at 2:52 PM, NowVoyager said:

The grandson was cute, but seriously what has Roy Jr done other than milking his father's name for all that it's worth? 

• Love 3
On 6/29/2020 at 9:31 PM, Fostersmom said:

The grandson was cute, but seriously what has Roy Jr done other than milking his father's name for all that it's worth? 

Wasn't he engaged to Kat von D for a minute?  (Hard to keep track...LOL)

(edited)
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

Wasn't he engaged to Kat von D for a minute?  (Hard to keep track...LOL)

Nope his younger brother.

For those worried about cancel culture no one gave a shit that the other “famous” dude on this episode was literally part of a neoNazi band when he was a teenager with songs that are more racist than Pete’s garbage.

Edited by biakbiak

I don't remember, and I'm not going to rewatch episode 1. Is this Malia's first stint as bosun? Because *especially* if it is, she can certainly be forgiven for not being the "perfect leader," whatever that might mean. All that "in over her head" crap just seems like... crap. To me, she seems fine. She's giving her crew instructions, and she's telling them when they did a good job, and she's certainly been firm about some other things. It seems like some folks here had "being the perfect leader" down pat, and really, it's just not as simple as you wanted it to be.

I think it's ridiculous and kind of stupid that Sandy announced Bugsy's imminent arrival at the crew meeting and low-key gave Hannah shit for not being thrilled. Sandy has watched the previous seasons, and at the very least she knew exactly what Bugsy did and said to Hannah. Again, I don't love Sandy as a manager.

Finally, what is it with those of you who have to comment on the crewmembers' appearances ALL THE TIME? Criticizing how they look, what they're wearing, weight they put on, their makeup & hair? As if the (somewhat manufactured) drama in the show isn't enough, can't you just leave peoples' appearances out of it?