Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Justice Society

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

Courtney makes a difficult decision after Pat confronts her about the potential consequences of recruiting new members to the JSA. Elsewhere, Barbara shows up in support of Mike’s science fair, and Courtney, Yolanda, Beth and Rick prepare for their first major mission.

• Love 1

That was a fun episode. Of course the kids weren't going to give back their new toys. And of course they weren't going to win against the more experienced villains. So training them really is the only option for Pat.

And something that I've thought since the beginning: Courtney has a costume made of some strong material, judging by how it damaged the sewing machines. So maybe she should have made herself a costume that covers her whole body for protection. She's going to end up with some damage to her legs and lower torso after being thrown across that parking lot.

• Love 5
(edited)

Now that was the episode I’ve been waiting for. 😄  Pat is furious at Courtney (rightfully), but finally realizes he’s not going to be able to stop the kids, so training is the only option.  Courtney realizes Pat’s point, and the rest of the team gets to find out there really is more to Pat than they’d first thought. 

ETA:  Also, that was the scene from the crossover, wasn’t it?  The scene in the parking lot with S.T.R.I.P.E. backing them up?

There’s intense sports parents, and then there’s murdering your kid’s coaches. Artemis’s parents are complete psychopaths.   I kind hope Artemis gets to break away from them, just because YJ!Artemis is one of my favorite characters (although I know this Artemis is very different).

It was nice to see some bonding between Barbara and Mike.  And on another note, I’m guessing the ISA’s plan involves some sort of widespread mind control?  That’s not a spoiler - I’m just speculating. They have a satellite and they need Brainwave.  That’s the only thing I can think of.   

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

ETA:  Also, that was the scene from the crossover, wasn’t it?  The scene in the parking lot with S.T.R.I.P.E. backing them up?

It was the scene!

I rewatched the 'Crisis' shows over the weekend as I couldn't remember all the different 'earths' they showed and it was the exact scene!

Such fun!

• Love 2

I thought the fight scenes were really well done. I'm still not sure on the Hourman and Dr. Mid-nite costumes; they don't look nearly as well done as the first two even though they're straight out of the Golden Age. In fact, I've looked at Hourman's baggy hood in comics for years and didn't get until now that it's like a boxers robe hood.

When does Beth get to meet Hootie?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

There’s intense sports parents, and then there’s murdering your kid’s coaches. Artemis’s parents are complete psychopaths.   I kind hope Artemis gets to break away from them, just because YJ!Artemis is one of my favorite characters (although I know this Artemis is very different).

Larry and Paula are extremely crazy people. For years, writers treated them as: "What a bunch of jokes, using sports equipment and acting like some hunter with a crossbow." During the golden age, these were characters who were really off their rockers and even more, they were dangerous. Lawerance is not only a sports nut, he is an experience kickboxer, stratification and fighter. Paula is a fantastic tracker and aim is almost uncanny. Reason why Court did well during her staff fight with the Sportsmasters is because Courtney's martial arts background and the fact she is 16 while Larry is in his mid to late 40s. While the Sportsmaster is no push over at his age and has the experience to back it up, he isn't a teen anymore. If Courtney was more experienced, she would have wiped the floor with him thanks to her fighting skills and the cosmic staff.

• Love 2

At least now we know where Artemis gets all her aggressiveness from -- both parents are a little unhinged.  Killing several coaches for benching their kid is just ... out there. 

I'm just curious what happened 16-17 years ago -- did all the heroes/villains call a truce for a year in order to have kids at the same time ?

• LOL 7

So, as a non-American, i have to ask:

Is there some legal requirement for kids to build volcanoes for science fairs? Because in every american tv show i've seen that has a science fair, someone builds a volcano...

• LOL 9
44 minutes ago, mrspidey said:

Is there some legal requirement for kids to build volcanoes for science fairs? Because in every american tv show i've seen that has a science fair, someone builds a volcano...

No, it's entirely that all the writers grew up watching Peter build one on The Brady Bunch, and they've always wanted to do it  🙂

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

Great episode, nice to see their first full time outting and getting their butts rightfully kicked. Ever since Young Justice made Sportsmaster almost on par with Deathstroke, I've wanted to see him adapted for live action so its great to see a more menacing Sportsmaster. 

Artemis, while I enjoyed her...seemed REALLY young compared to the others. I hope we get a life in the day of for Tigress/Sportsmaster just to see how they function as "normal" adults. We got to see a bit more of it in this episode but I do need a tiny bit more humanzing to them.

• Love 4
(edited)

Fun episode. As another non-American I also started to wonder about all the volcanoes. Though this was the first time I've seen an edible one. I wonder if Mike's culinary talent will be more explored, I never noticed how often we see him in the kitchen and/or eating. And the bonding between him and Barbara was sweet.

Beth is charming (and the actress sells the character so well) yet I feel she needs more to do than just be the magic googles interface. And Hourman jun. is getting a bit tedious with his attitude.

The Gambler has excellent taste in music. I was expecting a hallway fight à la Daredevil but that was of course not going to happen.

That waitress doesn't know how lucky she was. 

Loved the scene between Pat and Courtney at the end - it took her some time to catch on though LOL!

Another giggling pen sighting - I really want to know what's that about!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Loved the scene between Pat and Courtney at the end - it took her some time to catch on though LOL!

I know. 😄 I kept waiting for the penny to drop, but she just kept going and going, and I was cracking up at all of Pat’s responses.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I sort of have to respect Gambler for not even bothering with a paper-thin disguise like most of the others. Couldn't Courtney at least tie her hair back or something? And he likes cats. Even though tigresses don't like him.

This was pretty much the ep I've been waiting for. I've enjoyed most of the character buildup, and a good bit of the drama, but the core premise of this show is supposed to be a team of costumed heroes battling it out with a team of fun villains, and, finally, we not only got it this week, we got lots of it.

• Love 6
On 6/22/2020 at 5:04 PM, MissLucas said:

Beth is charming (and the actress sells the character so well) yet I feel she needs more to do than just be the magic googles interface.

I do somewhat like the character, but I'm always going to expect "Girkle*" to totally get killed with her having no fighting or defensive skills. Actually, I'm expecting them all to totally get killed. If Pat is going to be training them he has a hard road ahead...

*Girl Urkel

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I'm having a good time picturing The Gambler at a Kesha concert.

I loved the kids being freaked out at the dead guard. And I loved them getting their butts kicked. It'll make the learning curve that much more satisfying.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I'm having a good time picturing The Gambler at a Kesha concert.

I loved the kids being freaked out at the dead guard. And I loved them getting their butts kicked. It'll make the learning curve that much more satisfying.

Outside of Icicle and Solmon Grundy, Sportsmasters and Tigress are the most dangerous members of the IJS, especially now that Wizard is dead, Brainwave is in a coma and Shade deserted them. The biggest reason is, they are completely unhinged people and now having this new JSA show up, so inexperience it was a reason to let them have it. However, as we saw, Larry and Paula saw that they have a challenge with Stargirl and Wildcat since they have fighting experience. The difference is, they are WAY more experienced, but they are not longer in their hey day. No matter how much the Crocks train, they are in their 40s now.

However, the episode also proved just how conflicted the Injustice Society is. The Gambler doesn't trust the Crocks. The Fiddler is losing patience with them and Icicle is using them more as enforcers than anything. There is still a key missing here with how the IJS brought down the JSA. All members of both teams were united and at the top of their game 10 years ago. HOW did the JSA lose to the IJS and WHY did they not want Pat there?

• Love 4
(edited)

So, Sportsmaster (who, naturally, was that meathead douchebag who has been pestering Pat to join his gym this entire time) and Tigress are basically that obnoxious sports couple that you can see at every middle school/high school game, only they don't half-ass things and actually murder coaches who dare to punish their talented, but ill-tempered daughter.  Figures!  I love that they seem to be the pair that causes the rest of the IJSA to roll their eyes and get annoyed over the messes that they cause.  But I can't deny that I get a kick out of them and even kind of enjoy their strange relationship.  Sure, they might be unhinged killers, but dammit, they clearly love and respect one another!

Well, the first mission with the new JSA went about as well as could be expected for a team consisting of impatient teenagers, who don't have any real training experience.  If anything, it probably went better than expected, since there wasn't any major injuries (I did get concerned for the Cosmic Staff for a second!)  It is safe to say that they having some learning to do, like Rick realizing he can't just charge in and punch everything in sight, and Courtney figuring out how to get her teammates to actually listen to her.  This mission certainly highlighted Pat's concerns about this, but I'm glad that he seems to be realizing that stopping them is impossible, and it going to try and support them going forward, because the ship for giving up has clearly sailed for this group.  But I believe in them!

Beth has move past being attached to her parents, and has found a new friend in... an A.I. that speaks with her through the goggles.  I mean, Chuck is awesome and all, but Beth really needs to start finding friends who are, well, human.

This was the most I liked the Mike character, thanks to his scenes with Barbara.  I still wish Amy Smart had more to do, but I'm glad Barbara is doing her part in being a good stepmother.  That is rare for television.

It is amusing and convenient that almost all of the JSA and IJSA kids are around the same age.  I love the theory mentioned above that maybe the groups had some kind of truce one year, so that they could start families.  How civil of them!

Loved the final scene with Courtney and Pat.  Again, Brec Bassinger and Luke Wilson really shine together.

The Gambler likes to listen to Keisha when doing his nefarious deeds.  That guy is full of surprises!

Realistically, it really shouldn't be that hard for the IJSA to figure out who the new JSA squad is, but I'm curious to see how Icicle is going to approach it.

Great episode: probably my favorite so far. 

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 7
On 6/22/2020 at 4:04 PM, MissLucas said:

Beth is charming (and the actress sells the character so well) yet I feel she needs more to do than just be the magic googles interface. And Hourman jun. is getting a bit tedious with his attitude.

She's the resident "techy" though she's directly in the field instead of in the "office". Itll be interesting to see how they utilize her.

Poor "sidekick" Pat. It took SRTIPE to gain him a little respect with the kids. As if the kids couldn't respect him for just being an adult and knowing the history of JSA.

I was rooting for the Sportsmaster and Tigress to give the kids (especially Rick) a beating. Just to bring them down a peg for their arrogance.

I want to see more of  Icicle. He is a more compelling character by far on this show. Not impresses with the Sportsmaster and Tigress.

Beth is so close to calling Chuck her boyfriend. Of course she considers it her friend. Chuck has no choice but to talk to Beth. It's not like it has the ability to run/fly away from her if it wanted to. 

Beth with the googles has to ask if the security guard (lying motionless with blood coming from his head) is OK. Was Chuck on a lunch break to respond or didn't feel the need to give the obvious answer?

I thought the cosmic staff would be out of commission for a while from the hockey puck and put Courtney in a bind. But it came back to work ( so she's lucky). 

Artemis is looking forward to working "with" the new coach. Good grief!

New coach took the job quick. I guess word hasn't gotten around town of the previous 3 coaches or other people disappearing. 

The Gambler has a real problem if he's betting on High School football games. After seeing the team, it's no wonder why the Gambler is betting against them.

Why is Amy Smart/Barbara here? So far she has done nothing meaningful to date. 

The list of characters is growing and growing. Almost forgetting this is Stargirl's show.

Can't be said enough, Luke Wilson was born to play Pat.

Heck, it seems like everybody on this show as born to play their roles.

I like that this show is doing what the most recent Spidey movies have done.  They're allowing the heroes to screw up.  They're kids, they're bound to mess up, they won't get it 100% right.

The moment the new JSA walks into headquarters, and Hootie flies right to Beth is gonna be awesome.

• Love 9

This might be my favorite episode yet, so much great stuff going on, and now Pat is finally ready to start mentoring the obviously in over their heads teens! So many great moments, but my favorite was the big fight between the JSA vs. Sportsmaster and Tigress. Really great fight choreography and so well shot, and Pat showing up to save the day, as well as us getting the JSA shot from Crisis, was a great cap to the fight. 

Sportsmaster and Tigress might be bloodthirsty super villains who murder people for benching their daughter (more than once!) but I kind of love them. They do seem to have a really great marriage and work together as a team both in their life and in battle, and they clearly love Artemis, even if part of that is murdering people they think might hurt her future, and are just generally really fun bad guys. I just have a real soft spot for bad guy couples, what can I say? We might be unhinged killers, but that doesent mean we cant have a healthy marriage and family life! I also love that they're basically those sports parents that every coach has to deal with, just that they're also murderous supervillains so they take it up to eleven. Like I said, the fight was excellent, they really used their specific fighting styles while showing what a great team they are fighting together, I especially loved that bit where Tigress kind of flipped onto Sportsmaster and it looked like they were doing a tango for a second, that was super freaking cool. They really especially showed how Sportsmaster, who on paper seems to have a sort of silly gimmick, is very much a threat. Plus, I do appreciate when someone can really commit to their theme. 

I like that, despite their cool new powers and gear, the teens did pretty much get their asses kicked in their first outing as a team, it seems more realistic than it going super well right away. They have cool stuff, but no training in how to use that stuff or how to work as a team, so of course they get beat down by two veteran supervillains and only got away due to Pat and his robot. Glad that Pat is going to finally train the teens, knowing that they're going to keep this up anyway, this should be a blast. The talk between Courtney and Pat about how the team wouldn't listen to her while he was just like "oh yeah, wouldn't that just be so hard?" was hilarious. "I see what you did there. Pat and Courtney scenes are still my favorites, Luke Wilson is so great here. 

The subplot with Barb and Mike was small but sweet, its nice to see the whole family coming together more in different combinations. Pat and Courtney arent the only ones with a new step-parent/kid, so I am glad they got to bond a bit. 

Did I see a little bit of frost coming out of Icicle Jr when he blew the candle out? 

The Gambler is the kind of villain who hacks satellites while listening to Kesha, and talks with his cat, which are both things I can get behind. Although, I was totally team Tigress when she yelled at him to throw his trash in the garbage. Its right there dude!

Yolanda doing research on the original Wildcat, Ted Grant, and gushing about how cool he was and how excited she was to take on his mantle was really cute, its nice to see her more happy. I also think she saw some of her own situation in his story, with Ted being accused of fixing a match, even when he didnt, and that destroying his reputation. 

So Beth finally makes a friend...and its an AI that lives in her glasses. 

• Love 8

A theory of Courtney's "real Dad" just occurred to me: What if loyal Stripey switched "essences" (for lack of a better word) with Starman right as his was leaving his lifeless body so that Starman could live on to be with and care for Barbara and Courtney and save the world?

On 6/22/2020 at 10:08 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm just curious what happened 16-17 years ago -- did all the heroes/villains call a truce for a year in order to have kids at the same time ?

Back in my day we'd joke that it was "something in the water."

On 6/22/2020 at 4:04 PM, MissLucas said:

Another giggling pen sighting - I really want to know what's that about!

Yeah, is Chekhov's Pink Pen going to save the day in the last act/episode? Does Barbara use the Pink Pen to add to a grocery list and slip it in her pocket? Or will Mike need a pen for school work and...?

2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Beth has move past being attached to her parents, and has found a new friend in... an A.I. that speaks with her through the goggles.  I mean, Chuck is awesome and all, but Beth really needs to start finding friends who are, well, human.

In a different show,  Courtney would have had a realization that Beth was lonely and would have sincerely told her "I will be your friend." Likewise, in that version, Courtney would have told Yolanda that she can start over and doesn't need to be in a costume to do it. Then they would have agreed that the costumes and super tools are theirs now, because they're teens.

2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I'm glad Barbara is doing her part in being a good stepmother.  That is rare for television.

Yes and good stepmothers were pretty much non-existent in fairy tales, and even good stepfathers are not generally known to be as awesome as Pat.

• Love 5

Good episode, and we get the money shot shown at the end of COIE. Young Justice has already elevated Sportsmaster and Tigress beyond schmuck status, but I like the live-action version turning them into the ultimate sideline parents. Can you imagine what would have happened had Artemis taken a topless selfie that spread throughout the school? Half the student body would have been killed inside of a week.

I like Chuck. Beth needs work. She's just way too precocious, even for a superhero show. I'm sure she'll grow into her role (and not follow EVERY beat the original Dr. Mid-Nite took), but she's just so cringey. Also bad: "Hi. Listen, I know that Blue Valley is teeming with honest-to-God supervillains, but my stepdad wants the stuff back. Apparently, he's not into the whole thing about finding other teenagers and arming them with special weapons and powers. Lame, right?"

I like to think Gambler dances to hit music when he knows no on is watching. "It's Going Down" was a fun choice. How come we only got Ke$ha doing the chorus?

• Love 2
On 6/22/2020 at 8:08 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Probably something super realistic, like a batch of faulty condoms made by the local condom factory and sold throughout the town.  It happened on "General Hospital," so it could happen anywhere!!!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

still wish Amy Smart had more to do, but I'm glad Barbara is doing her part in being a good stepmother.  That is rare for television.

She's sincerely trying to bond with Mike,  I think, which is awesome. She's also the soft touch who buys the good Pop-Tarts. 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

She's sincerely trying to bond with Mike,  I think, which is awesome. She's also the soft touch who buys the good Pop-Tarts. 

They have done a fantastic job with Pat and Barb with the kids. As a fan of the comics, it was made a bit more "dramatic", but here it's so natural. Plus, as many have said it's almost unheard of on TV or even in movies. I mean, they are not only being regular parents, but even with the pushes from Courtney and Mike, they handle it very well. Now, is it showing a few signs of issues? Of course, Pat is not putting enough time with Mike as he is focused on Courtney. Barb is bonding with Mike and loving her new job, but she isn't reading things in-between like why Pat and Court are bonding more. As now Mike is suffering, then again, Barb is just happen to see the family getting along and Court having friends. So, she is kind of ignoring things. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, mxc90 said:

New coach took the job quick. I guess word hasn't gotten around town of the previous 3 coaches or other people disappearing. 

Dumbledore kept finding new DADA teachers despite the curse and all the... ahem... inconveniences it brought along 😉

• LOL 7
(edited)
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I like to think Gambler dances to hit music when he knows no on is watching. "It's Going Down" was a fun choice. How come we only got Ke$ha doing the chorus?

It feels like that’s probably the part of “Timber” that people actually like/remember- no one seems to care about Pitbull’s rap, even though it’s technically his song...  I think there’s an unfortunate line about Miley in there too, so maybe that’s also why most shows only use the hook.  I may even know that just because it’s one of the early Postmodern Jukebox hits.  However, as someone who lives in the Midwest, it really does feel like a song that was, and would continue to be, a big deal in a town like this.

I also thought this was a fun episode - for some reason I got a slight “Mystery Men” vibe that I hadn’t noticed in previous weeks.  For one thing, we got a lot of Gambler - and he reminds me of whatever Eddie Izzard was doing in that film.  Otherwise there just seems to be an enjoyable level of goofiness about the costumes and code names and such that isn’t quite the parody of MM (or the satire of Kick-Ass either, now that I think about it).  I like that the show can play with some of the silly aspects of the genre, without becoming a joke.

Edited by Chyromaniac
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Dumbledore kept finding new DADA teachers despite the curse and all the... ahem... inconveniences it brought along 😉

That's the one thing that I think MANY TV shows fail out is how a school district is structured. Sure you get magical worlds like in Harry Potter, or in comics where you have "the teachers are secretly super villains". HOWEVER... for once I love to see a show tackle how school district politics and structures work. I know the show dealt with the Wizard being a Council Man for the town. However, even if she has a legitimate background and degree. The Fiddler (Virtuosity) would still have to answer to a superintendent and school board with the constant "disappearances" of coaches at the school. Plus, why she be so focused on keeping Paula on staff when it's been shown she is a wack job both in and out of costume and at work. The show wouldn't have to do much and just have one of the IJS members sitting on the school board, and while I won't say anything from the comics, the original series "better" explained why the school and town were "ignoring things" more. 

Sadly the only show that has explained school politics and structure better in the past 20 years has been Boston Public and Schooled. Even if they did things to an extreme or farce, it was still in consent with the times during those decades. Now, you either have teachers for, against or complete idiots in TV and film. I'm looking you Riverdale and current Spider-Man movies.

(edited)
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So wait, is Paula Brooks AKA Tigress...a tiger mom? 

Ooo. Should I remove my "Laugh" like icon? I mean. It's at least stereotyping if not worse, right?
But, yes, totally depicted as a tiger mom --and dad, although he would be more of just one of those dads who punches the ref.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
On 6/22/2020 at 9:30 AM, mrspidey said:

I dunno about volcano displays, but I did that same solar power voltaic panels on a house for a fair in like 1973. but I had to build my house out of cardboard, no off the shelf crap like today's kids!! 😉

• LOL 1

I loved the candy volcano. So much better than yet. another. science fair. volcano. 
But do kids today still do science fair projects independently? I thought group projects took over in the 1980s. 
In the 1960s kids used to accuse me of having my parents do the work, whereas if I'd been born a generation later, it would have been my group members assuming I would do the work.

• Love 2

Do schools (still) have science fairs? I didn't go to public school so my experience may have been different as a kid, but I have taught in public schools for over 10 years and there has never been a science fair at either the elementary or secondary levels. Then again, maybe it's regional? It does seem like an American student milestone according to every movie/TV show ever made, so it's weird I've never actually seen one in the wild.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, wmdekooning said:

If Pat is going to be training them he has a hard road ahead...

I'm not sure what qualifies Pat to train them, he was just a sidekick, he did basically nothing in the JSA's last fight, and he needs a giant robot suit to be effective.  I thought the way Pat accepted the kids being involved in this dangerous business seemed a bit forced, but I'm willing to handwave it.

The conversation about the lantern was a little contradictive:

Pat:  Court, that lantern could kill you

Courtney:  What's it do?

Pat:  Well, nothing without it's ring.

So where is the ring?  And are we going to see a Green Lantern or are we just going to stick with the current group for awhile?  I'm impatient.

Agree they need to give Dr. Mid-Nite some offense.  Her most memorable moment in this episode was running away in panic.  "How do we get out of here?".

I kept expecting the kids to say "Wow, these guys are tough".    

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

The conversation about the lantern was a little contradictive:

Pat:  Court, that lantern could kill you

Courtney:  What's it do?

Pat:  Well, nothing without it's ring.

So where is the ring?  And are we going to see a Green Lantern or are we just going to stick with the current group for awhile?  I'm impatient.

In the Green Lanterns I am familiar with the ring goes and finds a new owner when the old one dies. Maybe somebody got the ring a long time ago, but never got the lantern to power it up. The only person the lantern lit up for was Pat.

Nothing that innovative or interesting plotwise in this one, but it had good action and a definite plot progression.

I have to give them props for a really top-rate Tigress.  Sportsmaster, there's no way for that character NOT to be a little silly, but I suppose buying into it instead of ducking the silliness was appropriate.

• Love 2
(edited)
35 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

In the Green Lanterns I am familiar with the ring goes and finds a new owner when the old one dies. Maybe somebody got the ring a long time ago, but never got the lantern to power it up. The only person the lantern lit up for was Pat.

I don't know if it was ever established in the comics if the Golden Age Green Lantern ring worked the same way with succession. He was a totally different character, not just in terms of identity but in terms of how stuff... um.. worked with him.  I guess saying more would be comic spoilery, so I'll settle on just addressing the point raised with a "who knows"?  

My feeling is they're unlikely to have a Green Lantern here, because I don't think Pat will sign off on more recruits.  This is also a way to limit the effects budget and the size of the cast.  Also because Green Lantern, the OTHER version, is considered a bigger property and DC/WB has plans for it , and won't want any brand confusion.  But we also won't get the other superhero gimzos being handed out either I bet.  Maybe one more (why I think that is based on upcoming episode titles they've announced) but... still not Green Lantern.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Good episode but I was confused about one thing - where was the Gambler doing his hacking from? The computer setup and his cat just outside in the hallway made it seem like it was his place. But then, why have the sporty duo standing by and why the murder of the security guard? Then I thought they must be at the company whose codes and stuff they were stealing but then why wasn't the Gambler doing this from offsite? If it had to be done onsite, how were the nightgoggles aware of the inside hacking attempt (unless Chuck has already installed backdoors into computers all over town and constantly monitoring usage and so would be on top of even that sort of access)?

Yes, I'm overanalyzing this.

2 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

Good episode but I was confused about one thing - where was the Gambler doing his hacking from? The computer setup and his cat just outside in the hallway made it seem like it was his place. But then, why have the sporty duo standing by and why the murder of the security guard? Then I thought they must be at the company whose codes and stuff they were stealing but then why wasn't the Gambler doing this from offsite? If it had to be done onsite, how were the nightgoggles aware of the inside hacking attempt (unless Chuck has already installed backdoors into computers all over town and constantly monitoring usage and so would be on top of even that sort of access)?

Yes, I'm overanalyzing this.

The implication was that they installed some kind of communication link he used.  Why they needed to stay there wasn't properly explained though.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

The computer setup and his cat just outside in the hallway made it seem like it was his place.

Wasn't the cat on one of those carts filled with food like they use in fancy hotels for Room Service. That was confusing. Maybe he has his hacking catered.

• LOL 1
59 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Wasn't the cat on one of those carts filled with food like they use in fancy hotels for Room Service. That was confusing. Maybe he has his hacking catered.

With the bottles, you knew it was his house. It made sense, make sure the Gambler could get in, and basically, Icicle figured that Stargirl would show up. However, they weren't expecting a junior JSA. Why the Sportsmaster was mocking Hourman so much and Tigress was impressed with Wildcat's fighting skills for a bit. When STRIPE showed up, they knew they were screwed. Why Icicle said at the end: "Let's find out who they are." 

I liked Beth(?) saying that Pat should work for NASA, since his talents are probably kind of being underutilized running a garage when he can build flying cars and giant mech suits.

4 hours ago, Kromm said:

I don't know if it was ever established in the comics if the Golden Age Green Lantern ring worked the same way with succession. He was a totally different character, not just in terms of identity but in terms of how stuff... um.. worked with him.  I guess saying more would be comic spoilery, so I'll settle on just addressing the point raised with a "who knows"?  

My feeling is they're unlikely to have a Green Lantern here, because I don't think Pat will sign off on more recruits.  This is also a way to limit the effects budget and the size of the cast.  Also because Green Lantern, the OTHER version, is considered a bigger property and DC/WB has plans for it , and won't want any brand confusion.  But we also won't get the other superhero gimzos being handed out either I bet.  Maybe one more (why I think that is based on upcoming episode titles they've announced) but... still not Green Lantern.

If they'd only had it in the first episode I'd have taken it for an Easter egg, but I don't think they would have included the lantern and had an an active part of the plot/references if they didn't intend to have a Green Lantern on the show at some point.

As to Pat himself being Green Lantern, well, I imagine that a few green energy blasts would be easier on the CGI budget than a CGI Mech suit.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

If they'd only had it in the first episode I'd have taken it for an Easter egg, but I don't think they would have included the lantern and had an an active part of the plot/references if they didn't intend to have a Green Lantern on the show at some point.

As to Pat himself being Green Lantern, well, I imagine that a few green energy blasts would be easier on the CGI budget than a CGI Mech suit.

The "green flame" or Star Heart as it is referred to, is very similar to regular green lantern ring as it creates: constructions, flight, invulnerability. However, it is unable to effect wood. Get it flame and wood? Anyhow, something that Rick pointed out perfectly was how Pat had been spinning his wheels the past decade. Plus, Pat hasn't really gone much into his original body guard history with Sylvester and their relationship. So, yeah why would the other kids really think he was doing anything. When he really decided to just hide everything away, even if was trying to "figure out" what the Injustice Society had been up to.

Plus, even though it has been just for plot points, you think after Courtney decided to wear the stars full time, he be going over the various members of the IJS. Plus, also maybe doing more background research like he did with the Wizard after he was killed and Pat discovered he was. Everything from who he associated with or a big WHY he might have been killed. Because if the Wizard had a kid, Hourman had a kid, maybe the other JSA and IJS members did the same. 

• Love 1

Small nitpick/Clarification about the song The Gambler was listening to. Its "Timber" by Pitbull featuring Kesha. Cmon Pitbull deserves Credit lol. I bascially want to Echo what others on here enjoyed about the Episode. I really liked they showed Courtney as the best fighter on the team(it is her show lol) and that she went toe to toe with Sportsmaster and Tigress. I laughed at The staff going under the bed when Courtney was caught by Pat . Love the fights in this episode and that Sportsmaster gave Courtney some props lol. Can't wait for next week hoping for a badass between Courtney and Cindy 

• Love 3
(edited)

A bit late . . . I appreciated the team’s shock in finding the dead body. Pat's probably going to tell them that they'd be waist-deep in dead bodies if they were really serious about the superhero thing.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1