Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E04: Auditions 4

• Start Topic

Okay, I have vodka. I'm ready.

I looked at the facebook page and apparently there is a sword swallowing act tonight. Good to know I will have time to go get a snack.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
  • Gotta love when an 11 year old starts with "growing up, I did..." What do you mean, "growing up"? You haven't grown up yet! 
  • Kid was good but holy crap that makeup made him look so creepy.
  • I wanted someone to ask Luca if he lives on the second floor. (Please tell me someone else gets this.)
  • Okay, I did not expect that voice out of him. Huh. Heidi looked confused.
  • "It's like a cat walking out and barking." 😆
  • The NYC dance crew was cool. What we got to actually see, anyway. I wish they'd stop with the slow-mo during dance acts. It doesn't add anything. But now I want waffles.
  • Golden Buzzer at 28 minutes?! And not a singer. Really mixing things up, Simon.
  • I can't imagine walking onstage at a talent show and just launching into the story of the worst (I would imagine) day of my life. Too bad Simon already used up the GB for the night. A singer with a tragic story is gold.
  • And now we need Sofia's addiction trauma? Is this AGT or Intervention?
  • (I know, I'm terrible. But this show. Also vodka.)
  • No! No hugging strangers, Terry! (The auditions were taped not long before the stay at home orders started, right? I can't help but wonder if anyone got sick there.)
  • An electric ukelele? Huh.
  • Stand up comic. Stop yelling! (Still, not the worst comic we've seen. And I wrote that before she screwed up but I'm not taking it back. Which says something about this show, I think.)
  • The Siberian duo was pretty cool. I liked the beginning better than the actual recognizable part of the song.
  • I'd say it's not fair that some contestants only need two yeses because one of the judges is out, but that would suggest I think this show is fair in the first place.
  • [Contestant shown face-timing with guinea pig before going onstage.] Simon: What's your name? And do you have any pets? Yeah, questions are totally spontaneous.
  • Oh jesus, Simon. Stop it. We could hear her voice just fine. (Couldn't understand most of the words, but it wasn't because of the backing track.) "I think you brought the wrong songs today." What bullshit. And so obviously planned. Give up this stupid bit already. It's tired.
  • Did we really need a recap of all the winners by a random contestant? (Who, while good, will not be joining the winners list, I suspect.)
  • Literal sob story. Shut up, dude. Stick to the spinny thing and stop talking.
  • Take two: So we like original songs again this season, I guess. She's a kid, so I'll refrain from commenting on the song itself.
  • Sword swallower. Nope, I'm out.
  • Love 6

I haven't watched all of it.  I saw the part where they were auditioning dancers.  Simon dismissed the first ones saying their act was "too dated".  The second pair looked better than the first pair and he dismissed them as well.  Does Simon  think he can't sell modern dancers to the public?  Or did they just not have a sob story like the golden buzzer dancers?

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

I'm glad the comedian didn't make it through.  I couldn't take another loud mouthed, trashy woman.

Yes, the comedian was awful. She messed up one joke, then the next one too. She came across as screechy and not smart.  I hated everything about her, and I hate that it's  now a tradition that each year they have to have a  middle aged woman comic who flirts with simon and has no talent.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I'm glad the comedian didn't make it through.  I couldn't take another loud mouthed, trashy woman.

The horse that is "Go find another song" is dead, buried and long turned to dust.   

If the judges had put her through. it would've been a pity move and wouldn't be fair to anyone else who bombs onstage.  I know, fairness doesn't come into the equation at AGT, but they wouldn't be able to be that obvious.  That was nice of Howie to go backstage afterward and console and encourage her, though.

• Love 2

I get the Luca reference.  That song is really sad and disturbing though.  (Not the song Luca DiStefano sang.)

As phony as AGT is, I wonder if the sword swallower's act was as impromptu as they made it out to be.  It seemed to be genuine.

• Love 1

As much as this show is guilty of ridiculous stereotyping, and predictable outcomes along with some terrible acts...it can be an unparalleled showcase for Indigenous traditions to be seen by the world. As long as the producers actually let them get on stage. Olox were really cool (no put intended), and apparently her culture is very shamanistic.

Kid dancer pretending to be a puppet was cree-py. No, just no. Luca is the reincarnation of Barry White? I thought the comedian started out ok but then she blew it. I wonder if some acts will get through when they audition without an audience, because they won't be as nervous? Bronx crew who got the GB, they were good but again, rewarded based on sob story more than talent level. Kid singers almost always get through if they can at least carry a tune. And haven't we already seen giant yo-yos on a previous season?

• Love 3

I was surprised that the dancers got the golden buzzer.  They were OK, but not that great.

When the girl was singing the song about her dad, I thought the mom looked a little pissed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, camom said:

I was surprised that the dancers got the golden buzzer.  They were OK, but not that great.

When the girl was singing the song about her dad, I thought the mom looked a little pissed.

The only thing I can think of that Simon wants to appear to be woke and advance black people and/or he's trying to get away from his almost always giving the GB to a SINGER.  I want everyone to be judged on their talent and not on their sob story or color of their skin.

Yeah, I think Mom had a little jelly on her toast when her daughter was literally singing the praises of Dad.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have been a fan of throat singing since I saw Huun Huur Tu at WOMAD USA in 2000.  So I was happy to see it on national TV.
I'm also a fan of musical fusion, and of Zombie - but I'm not sure this combination worked.   I'm looking forward to seeing what Olox does next. I hope it's something a little more traditional that really shows off this unique style.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 1
(edited)

I loved the Pinocchio dancer, it was cool as heck. I'm constantly irritated, though, by the camera always switching to show judge and audience faces being grossed out when I want to see the act, not a bunch of scripted reactions. I can't wait to see Pinocchio again, it's one of my fav acts so far.

Speaking of scripted audience reactions, there were those two old ladies again. I was wondering if another flag was going to unfurl behind them so they could get all in a bundle about it. Oh, wait, I guess that was in last week's script.

What is the definition of "a star." Since every act is told "you are a star." WTH does that even mean. That they were stars on YouTube where the show found them and hired them to come on AGT?

Luka the Deep Singer ... was he so fantastic because he was a young white guy and not an old black guy like his voice said he should be? Inquiring minds want to know.

This season is really heavy on social causes, like Simon's GB. Yeah, they were fine and I'm okay with an act that is not a singer getting a GB. But the PC is getting a little heavy handed this season. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I guess.

Speaking of PC, there is no way in hell the Suicide Dad Singer was going to get anything but cheers and on to the next round. No one would dare red-X him, that's for sure.

Comedian Lady needed a second chance. And why did TPTB show her failed act but none of the many other acts that got through or got a red X. The programming choice on this show is so whack.

Again I am reminded that Simon is an ass. Although anyone who watches this show knows that if Simon stops a singer and tells them how much they suck and go backstage and pick another song, that person is going through with glowing reviews and four YESES when he/she comes back, all hangdog, to sing again for the God Who Is Simon Cowell. Time for a new ploy, Simon. We're wise to this one.

ETA: For some reason, I kept thinking the sword swallower's swords collapsed inside his mouth. Maybe it had something to do with his closing his mouth around the sword when it was drawn out, using his lips to lengthen the blade back to  its full length. A real sword could have cut his lips. His act was pretty polished though. This was not his first rodeo. Or talent show.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I'd say it's not fair that some contestants only need two yeses because one of the judges is out, but that would suggest I think this show is fair in the first place.

They've done it before when a judge is absent and plus the show originally only had 3 judges so all seems fair to me in that aspect. 

For the sword swallower, I liked his act and that he joked around a bit instead of making it look like it is the most dangerous act and he can die at any moment. I 100% know he swallowed 3 or more swords at the same time before. The ones he used were stackable and I've seen used by other acts before. You'll notice he qualified the "first time" statement with Terry by saying "and have 3 people pull them out." Still a good fast thinking switch to his act. 

Liked the Siberian duo the best of the night. Finally something different. Would love to hear more from their culture but I just know the show wont let them. Their gimmick was fusion and they'll have to stick with it because AGT has no tolerance forvariety in acts. Do something they like and you're now typecast. 

Thought the little girl's song was good for an original but hate that she was used in Simon's transparent game like that. 

The rest were mostly forgettable. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, camom said:

I didn't catch much of the lyrics of her first song, but what I did hear made me think it was a Christian** song. Which made her ode to daddy later on all the more disturbing (no idea if they're into the whole purity culture thing or anything like that but that's what came to mind).

**Looking at AGT facebook page, apparently it was "Anyway" by Martina McBride, who I never associated with "Christian" music (just Country, but I don't really listen to much in that genre), but definitely has a religious message in the lyrics.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Again I am reminded that Simon is an ass. Although anyone who watches this show knows that if Simon stops a singer...

While we're at it, can we stop pretending that this is like the audition rounds of American Idol?  If you're on stage, someone either thought you were really good or really interesting, and if you're a singer without a surprise hook, you're not the kind of "interesting" that one judge X's and the others love.

The Golden Buzzer Dance Troupe was some light-up suits from winning this whole thing in five years ago, but I'll give them extra points for taking off a shoe and balancing it while dancing, and also for dancing on a moving subway.  Depending on when the live shows stopped taping, the GB either helped them or hurt them, because I'm not sure how well their dance moves would work in a socially distanced world.

56 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

For some reason, I kept thinking the sword swallower's swords collapsed inside his mouth

Sword swallowers are an interesting mix of "what you see is what's happening" and stage illusion.  How much of each depends on the act, but it's possible.

• Love 3

From another facebook comment, re: Heidi's absence:

This was filmed in March at beginning of Covid 19. She got sick with fever and sore throat so she left for fear she had it. Took a couple weeks before she knew results. The last several episodes will be filmed with no audience. BTW she tested negative for the virus.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

The Heidi-sick thing was covered by TMZ when it happened, before the AGT season started. TMZ paps caught Howie and tried to get him to comment on Heidi's germs. He passed.

15 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The last several episodes will be filmed with no audience.

WHAT? No shocked reactions and old ladies fighting off the flag hanging behind them? What ever will they do to fill the empty spots. Show an entire act? Blasphemy!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

WHAT? No shocked reactions and old ladies fighting off the flag hanging behind them? What ever will they do to fill the empty spots. Show an entire act? Blasphemy!

They should have a zoom audience! (Please, no.)

One of the podcasts I listen to usually has a studio audience. They just started their current series a couple weeks ago, with the participants on zoom and no audience (it's two hosts and a panel of usually three others). Last week's episode had an audience on zoom, too (though I don't think we heard them on the audio, but I guess it gives the panel people to play off of).

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, camom said:

2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Yeah, I think Mom had a little jelly on her toast when her daughter was literally singing the praises of Dad.

I don't know why I'm torturing myself reading facebook comments on her video (man, some of these people are gullible*) but you are not the only ones who noticed mom (I'll be honest, I didn't, but now I kinda wanna go back and watch again).

(*Bunch of people seem to think this whole second chance thing was totally unplanned. Also several going "her song should be recorded!"...it's the featured video on her youtube channel (and it ain't the AGT version). 😆 )

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Comedian Lady needed a second chance. And why did TPTB show her failed act but none of the many other acts that got through or got a red X. The programming choice on this show is so whack.

I didn't think she was funny at all.  Maybe entertaining enough to get a few laughs at her book club or PTA meeting, but not funny enough to be on stage.  The whole thing was "here's how stupid and annoying my husband and kids are"  that became popular with Roseanne Barr decades ago.  Only, now they have to throw in a cougar-like comment about Simon being sexy.  (ugh)  SHe says "Simon?  MEE-OW!"  and everyone laughs like it's clever. "  I'm the mother of FIVE children!"  and everyone cheers and laughs.  "slimfast mixed with vodka!" everyone laughs.  I don't get it.  Her little riff on all the kids wanting something different for breakfast was cute, but the feminist in me cringed at the "housewife being slave to everyone's whims"  notion.  

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

you are not the only ones who noticed mom

I am typically doing something while tv is on, and only stop to watch certain acts (like Pinocchio guy!) so didn't even see Mom. But I will be watching her for sure on the weekend rerun. My antenna has dropped most channels and NBC is the only one it currently gets. Thanks for the tip. I will be ready for some snark come Sunday.

12 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I don't know why I'm torturing myself reading facebook comments

Thank you for doing this so we don't have to. Ha ha.

• LOL 2

it was "Anyway" by Martina McBride, who I never associated with "Christian" music (just Country, but I don't really listen to much in that genre), but definitely has a religious message in the lyrics.

The song mentions God, but that doesn't make it a Christian song.  It's more a "go for it" song, even when there are challenges.  One of my daughters favorite "Christian" songs is "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" by Rod Stewart.  Not really a Christian song, but if you think about singing it to God it can become one.  It's a matter of perspective I suppose.

10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I am typically doing something while tv is on, and only stop to watch certain acts (like Pinocchio guy!) so didn't even see Mom. But I will be watching her for sure on the weekend rerun. My antenna has dropped most channels and NBC is the only one it currently gets. Thanks for the tip. I will be ready for some snark come Sunday.

Thank you for doing this so we don't have to. Ha ha.

I just found the last song (they put both parts together in a 9 minute video) on their facebook page and watched (with the sound off, cuz I don't wanna hear it again). Dad is smiling while Mom is just straght-faced the whole time. If she looked at all happy or proud to see her kid out there the camera didn't catch it.

2 minutes ago, camom said:

The song mentions God, but that doesn't make it a Christian song.  It's more a "go for it" song, even when there are challenges.  One of my daughters favorite "Christian" songs is "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" by Rod Stewart.  Not really a Christian song, but if you think about singing it to God it can become one.  It's a matter of perspective I suppose.

I wasn't sure, really. I heard "God" and "pray," but that's really all that registered in the lyrics before Simon stopped her.

• Love 2

Follow-up comments to the above:

I noticed the Two Grannies, which is what I call them, as well!  (I guess they're supposed to be twin sisters?)  Their fleeting minutes of fame are continuing!  Speaking of recognizing people in the audience, I guess by the fact that Simon & Co. hadn't had a costume change since S15 E01 to halfway-ish through this 4th epi, that the audience was the same.

I was over Comedienne Lady when she stuck out her tongue which was supposed to be sexy, and her pandering to Simon.  Meow.  I'm so sick of the sucking up to Simon!

Olax is definitely unique and interesting.

I'm finding Sofia to be charming and endearing.  A huge step up from Lawsuit Gabby.  Heidi had to wait for a coronavirus test along with the other riff raff and couldn't be cleared to return to the show after she fell ill.  I'm happy she's OK.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

I noticed the Two Grannies, which is what I call them, as well!  (I guess they're supposed to be twin sisters?)  Their fleeting minutes of fame are continuing! 

People keep mentioning these two and I have yet to actually see them! 

• LOL 1
20 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I get the Luca reference.  That song is really sad and disturbing though.  (Not the song Luca DiStefano sang.)

As phony as AGT is, I wonder if the sword swallower's act was as impromptu as they made it out to be.  It seemed to be genuine.

I think it was planned and Sofia was totally playing it up. She is an actress, after all. 

18 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

As much as this show is guilty of ridiculous stereotyping, and predictable outcomes along with some terrible acts...it can be an unparalleled showcase for Indigenous traditions to be seen by the world. As long as the producers actually let them get on stage. Olox were really cool (no put intended), and apparently her culture is very shamanistic.

I thought that act was really cool. Something totally different and I liked how the song segued into Zombie. 

7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

ETA: For some reason, I kept thinking the sword swallower's swords collapsed inside his mouth. Maybe it had something to do with his closing his mouth around the sword when it was drawn out, using his lips to lengthen the blade back to  its full length. A real sword could have cut his lips. His act was pretty polished though. This was not his first rodeo. Or talent show.

I think so too. Funnily enough, I just watched another show (a To Tell the Truth) with a sword swallower and she did the same “when I wink, pull out the sword” thing but she did t look so obvious about closing her mouth around the sword.  For some reason, it was so much more noticeable in this act. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

she did t look so obvious about closing her mouth around the sword.  For some reason, it was so much more noticeable in this act.

The swords are dull on the edges so no concern of slicing there. I think he just does it to have more control as a stranger pulls it out.

I did find it funny that both swallowers did the wink cue. But I guess what else can you do? Thumbs up? The guy did seem to run out of breath pretty fast and was getting annoyed by how slow they were going. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought the Pinocchio dancer was OK, not great. Some overused robot moved added to a couple overused contortionist moves.   Suicide singer was OK, not different than 100 guys who sound like that.nthe sob story was a minus.

The Bronx dancers who were offended when called break dancers were good, not anywhere near the reaction they got good. I said to my wife, “think Simon picks them as GB because he’s got a racism lawsuit against him? Wife says noooo, not this soon in the show. I hate knowing what’s gonna happen. Oh Simon, you’re so woke.

I loved the indigenous singers. Interesting, original.

I liked the sword swallowers stage presence. It was entertaining.

The “go find another song” lie is insulting to the audience now. That little girl did enough to get yeses before he stopped the first song with the terrible stuff that goes through. Mom did look jealous, though.

Yo-yo guy... boring.

Italian Barry White was alright. No surprise next time, though.

Being from Boston, the comic only had to say a couple words and I knew she was from Mass, not to mention being named Hurley. I knew she would suck, but hoped she wouldn’t embarrass. Clunk. Stupid jokes about long marriage and kids, how original. Meow. Oh, no ones done that before. Then she blew that husband joke and completely lost her train of thought on the next joke. I felt bad for her.

Every week I notice how much better the show is with Sofia. So much better than no-value Gabby.

Edited by SG11
  • Love 4

The "two grannies"  are two women who look like twins, who have a very distinct look with short black hair, bangs, and black glasses.  A bit reminiscent of costume designer Edith Head - here's what she looks like: 

image.png.cc0d25068a0560ef3b23f64b0aa0e704.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Which makes it all the more obvious how much this is a setup. Someone posted a few weeks ago about how audience reactions are sometimes not even filmed during the actual event, and I wonder if that's true here. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, SG11 said:

I thought the Pinocchio dancer was OK, not great. Some overused robot moved added to a couple overused contortionist moves.   Suicide singer was OK, not different than 100 guys who sound like that.nthe sob story was a minus.

The Bronx dancers who were offended when called break dancers were good, not anywhere near the reaction they got good. I said to my wife, “think Simon picks them as GB because he’s got a racism lawsuit against him? Wife says noooo, not this soon in the show. I hate knowing what’s gonna happen. Oh Simon, you’re so woke.

I agree 100% about the dancers. And have you noticed Simon now says to everyone that cries I was bullied, "AGT has a no bullying policy" or something like that.

The Pinocchio dancer forgot to use the word bullied when telling his story, he said "the kids wouldn't let me dance with them because they said I wasn't any good" which sounded like something he was coached to say. Hey kid, maybe they didn't let you dance with them because you wasn't in there group of friends. Anyways, a couple of seasons ago their was another boy that danced like him but instead of Pinocchio he was a Robot.

Their was a giant yo-yo guy last season? And he did it by himself but I don't remember how far he got.

The singer with the dad that committed suicide was just okay, and had no reason other than wanting sob votes to tell his story to the judges.

The girl that had to come up a new song I believe was a set up because how did the band lay down a track to her song so fast? I'm not buying it. Simon's going to want to record that song for all the daddies out there. Not only that, they give this girl a second chance so why not give the comedian lady a second chance? She lost her train of thought when she said her husbands name and talked loud/yelled but so did Preacher Lawson and the guy with the little arms they both yelled. I guess only singers get second chances.

I don't like sword swallowing acts and can't watch them but the guy was entertaining.

Enough with the backstage crap and the granny twins in the audience. I can't wait until we get to the shows without the audience.

Is it in Sofia's contract that she has to wear strapless dresses/tops that's all I ever see her in. I think she follows Simons lead but I do like her better than what we had last year.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Is it in Sofia's contract that she has to wear strapless dresses/tops that's all I ever see her in.

Lightning might strike me, but I say yes, strapless is in her contract, and so is sitting next to Simon so he can look over and down. Sofia's view is better than Heidi's for Simon's eyes.

I did a search for sword swallowing and it appears to be real, there is an association for sword swallowers! But then again, I found "trick" swords for sale too. So my verdict on this guy is out. He's cute though, and has a good stage presence. So there's that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I agree so much with all these latest comments!  I have to watch sword swallowing acts through my fingers even if in the back of my cynical mind I think they're made of smooth-edged plastic or trick swords as someone mentioned, but he is a cutie with loads of stage presence and natural charm.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I guess only singers get second chances.

He's only done this with singers. It kinda only works with singers, anyway. Most singers can sing a number of songs on request, and they're usually singing something fairly well-known (unless it's an original, which Simon seems to alternate hating or liking every few seasons), but other kinds of acts often have staging and costumes and whatnot, so you can't just ask them to "do something else" (if they did it would make it even more blatantly obvious that it was planned); or, say, a comedian isn't going to have another routine they can pull out, at least not that will give the judges any kind of objective basis to judge the difference on like a familiar song might.

I think they once gave a comedian or something a second chance, but that was just letting him start over because he messed up, not Simon's tired "stop, stop, this is all wrong, come back in three hours and sing something else" schtick. Can't imagine him saying "I think these jokes are all wrong for you, come back this afternoon and try a different set." (But I would laugh if he did.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

a comedian isn't going to have another routine they can pull out,

If a comedian doesn't have another 90 second set ready to go then they don't belong on any stage let alone AGT. 

There are quite a few acts that could have 2nd chances. Dancers, magicians, jugglers, musicians just to name a few. Of course I think the issue is that they shouldn't and neither should singers. The 'auditions' shouldn't be trial and error. I put it in quotes because they already do their actual audition before producers before going on stage for their 'performance.'

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Superclam said:

Which makes it all the more obvious how much this is a setup. Someone posted a few weeks ago about how audience reactions are sometimes not even filmed during the actual event, and I wonder if that's true here. 

This is pretty common.  Before a show tapes the stars, they have the audience cheer, boo, look amazed, boo a specific Judge and so on.   After all, when they are filming the act, how can they be sure to have a camera focussed on someone with the response they are looking for?

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

This show is so inconsistent with its criticisms. One act is "dated," but an identical act is "fresh." People get asked to sing a second song, or to take an hour to prepare something else. Other people are just "clearly not ready." Sometimes nerves "get in the way," but other times they're endearing. I get whiplash trying to keep up with what's allowed and what's not. I know it's all about creating a narrative to push certain acts (usually ones with a story) over others, but yeesh.

"I came here today to tell my story about my dad killing himself." You mean you didn't come here to, like, sing a song? I know the producers told you to lay the sob story on thick but you're not supposed to say the quiet part loud!

The indigenous duo were so different and cool, and the woman especially was very likable in her enthusiasm. I'm pleasantly surprised AGT wants to highlight an act like this.

I've always loved diabolo since I saw it as part of Cirque du Soleil when I was a kid, so I'm excited whenever it shows up on this show.

• Love 2

Sword swallowing is real and can be dangerous. Actual medical study of sword swallowers, although it was self-reported.

Thirteen respondents did not volunteer any medical information, but 19 described sore throats, usually when they were learning to swallow, after performing too frequently, or when they were swallowing multiple or odd shaped swords. Lower chest pain, often lasting days, followed some performances and was usually treated by abstaining from practice. They rarely sought medical advice. Six suffered perforation of the pharynx or oesophagus. Three of these had surgery to the neck, one having a 1.5 cm laceration at the level of D2 and a pneumothorax, one a pinhole laceration at C6 and surgical emphysema, and the other having a pharyngeal tear. The perforations were treated conservatively in three patients, one of whom had a second perforation with aspiration of a neck abscess after further injury. Three others also had probable perforations, one of whom was told that a sword had “brushed” the heart, and one had pleurisy and another pericarditis after injury, suggesting extraoesophageal trauma. No one underwent thoracotomy, although one had a breadknife removed transabdominally (emphasis mine). Sixteen mentioned intestinal bleeding, varying in quantity from melaena or finding some blood on a withdrawn sword to large haematemases necessitating transfusion.

Don't try this at home kids!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Two distinct memories for me.  1)  Sofia showed her very real comedic flair.  It was SHT (Sofia Has Talent).  She displayed more innate/polished talent appropriate to her role on AGT than any jidge evah - and she just got the gig.   I give her my first official, "Super Yes!"  Congrats to the dude for similarly having the goods to capitalize on what she was giving him (as Simon alluded to).  2)  Arguably the worst combination of uninspiring choreo and sketchy execution for a GB yet.  Classic story over talent arc.  I do not wish them ill, but I defy Howie to explain how they are a MILLIONDOLLARACT.

Yo-yo guys were very good.  Now, what?  Would they be a good act for the variety show in LV?  Sure.

I just saw an old I Love Lucy ep where she pretended to be a princess from some far-flung Asian country-stan nobody ever heard of.  I kept waiting for the reveal that the whole heritage thing with the awesome costuming was a really well done hoax.  Her voice wasn't the greatest, and I wonder how she spoke and understood English so well.  Has she lived in the West for a significant time?  But. this is the type of moment that only AGT can provide. 

We had not one, but TWO original songs and each time this fact was celebrated.  Whatever happened to Simon's stern admonitions to not use that first audition to sing such?  In seriousness, this is evidence as to just how deeply the show now relies on story.

I enjoyed the segment with the comedienne.  I'm sorry she blew her chance, but it seemed to be a note of reality/humanity.  I wish her well.

Basso profundo Al Green?  Those are four words I never anticipated typing!  Didn't work for me, but give the man credit for originality.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I just saw an old I Love Lucy ep where she pretended to be a princess from some far-flung Asian country-stan nobody ever heard of.  I kept waiting for the reveal that the whole heritage thing with the awesome costuming was a really well done hoax.  Her voice wasn't the greatest, and I wonder how she spoke and understood English so well.  Has she lived in the West for a significant time?  But. this is the type of moment that only AGT can provide. 

I thought she said she'd been here for a couple years. Given that the guy didn't speak at all, I'm guessing he either doesn't speak English, and/or it was part of the character along with the face-covering costume.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I thought she said she'd been here for a couple years. Given that the guy didn't speak at all, I'm guessing he either doesn't speak English, and/or it was part of the character along with the face-covering costume.

They may be from Siberia, but the face covering is on trend!

• LOL 1

Yo-yo guys were very good.  Now, what?  Would they be a good act for the variety show in LV?  Sure.

They were a nice mix of tricks that are truly challenging (like two at once), tricks that look really cool, but aren't that hard (catch over the judge's table), and I-don't-know-of-anyone-that's-done-that-so-probably-hard?, like the mix of dancing and working. 

I wonder if bullying is something that nearly everyone experiences, but to different degrees and perceptions.  If, for example, I doubt the sword swallower was real (on this show, he was, sorry), it's not intended as bullying, but I could see where he could be hurt by that (if so, sorry!)  Glad he had a plan B.

Also, when the Second Chance Singer asked what song she could sing that was written for a male singer, I hoped someone would ask her to check her YouTube channel to look for one.  (Personally, I liked her first song best. and also I wonder who keeps thinking "the show is called 'America's Got Talent', so what are ways to show less of that?)

• Love 1