Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Primetimer

Floor Is Lava

Recommended Posts

Netflix's new competition tests teams' ability to traverse a room full of roiling "lava."

The show premieres Fri June 19th.

Share this post


Link to post

Hopefully they'll avoid the "While we were away" habit that has been affecting way too many shows lately. (America Ninja Warrior, Ultimate Tag, I'm GLARING at both of you). It wouldn't make sense since they are on a commercial-less format anyways. 

In any case, this looks like a fun show. Hopefully they aren't too obnoxious and just letting people have fun. I'm really surprised this concept hasn't been done before now. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Watched the first three episodes of this last night and thought it was......OK. I think they were smart to do 30 minute episodes and vary the rooms, otherwise this would get boring fast. Although some rooms seem better constructed than others - not a fan of the planetarium, which had too many similar rounded objects to fall off of.

I was puzzled how some teams seemed to immediately know where the secret item/thing to pull was, and potential paths through the room. In the kitchen episode, the third team said right away, “we’ve got to get to the pizza oven”, where the first two teams took a while to figure it out.

I did like how they did people disappearing in the lava.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Watching the Kitchen episode now. The first team also saw the Pizza Oven clue, but they didn't go for it right away. There's a sign near the pizza oven (shown with the first team) saying "The Pizza is the Key" so that's the clue. 

As with all reality acrobatic shows, there are probably a lot more specific rules than what we are told to give the teams guidance on how to do the challenges. 

I noticed with the Bedroom course there was a second rope on the left side of the room. I think all 3 teams untied it but it didn't seem to do anything. 

In any case, I agree the course variety is nice. (Take notes Ultimate Tag!) and it seems properly balanced for the most part. Some courses are more difficult or uniform, but everyone runs the same one so it works that way. 

Share this post


Link to post

This show is very stupid but I'm still watching it. It's like one long segment of Legends of the Hidden Temple.

I don't understand why they don't have headgear on. There are so many head slams on this show. I'm sure they've signed ironclad waivers and that most of the objects are just foam but damn some of these hits have looked rough.

I also like the way they disappear into the lava.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

Rutledge Wood is the last person I expected to see hosting a game show. He's not bad but not much better than his voice overs on Top Gear US. 

This show looks like a blast to do but kinda meh to watch. Especially with some very stupid contestants. Definitely felt the Hidden Temple vibes for that first room. 

The water looks digitally enhanced or colored. Something off about it. Looks like that did add a thickener to it based on how it looks when it splashes on their hair. Would be more intense if they heated it or at least the room. Make em sweat! 

Share this post


Link to post

11 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

This show is very stupid but I'm still watching it. It's like one long segment of Legends of the Hidden Temple.

I don't understand why they don't have headgear on. There are so many head slams on this show. I'm sure they've signed ironclad waivers and that most of the objects are just foam but damn some of these hits have looked rough.

I also like the way they disappear into the lava.

If you watch how the obstacles respond to people jump on them, most of the ones (especially the ones meant to be lept onto) seem to be Wipeout/Ninja-Warrior padded. So they aren't real wood; but a foam with rubber top (which also makes them slicker when wet but safer to land onto). That would cut down on the risk factor.

I get the feeling that one of the unspoken rules is that only 1 member of a team can make significant moves at a time. Sometimes they seem to forget that and don't seem to be really penalized for it; but one at a time gives the show time to record the wipeouts and reactions. 

The "lava" is probably only waist deep, maybe slightly deeper, and it feels like the clock is stopped when someone goes under, to give them time to clear the set and continue on. (A stopped clock would be annoying for someone sitting on the pyramid given how awkward the footing is on that one. 🙂 )

 

 

So for Season 2 if there is one; what other rooms do you want to see? 

I'd love to see:
* The Garage! Climbing over cars, lawn care equipment, bikes, the rack for a garage door, etc...

* The Backyard! Patio furniture, a treehouse.

* The Gym! bleachers, basketball nets, landing on sports balls, climbing along a volleyball net.

* The Attic! Like the basement but smaller obstacles. 

Edited by Taeolas
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

WE stumbled upon this and decided to give it a go. 9 episodes later we were still watching. I enjoyed it. It entertained me and with all that is going on right now, I needed some fun. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I binged this yesterday. It was just what I needed. I love watching people fall awkwardly and horribly on TV.  Not in real life, well, mostly not.) That one guy trying to jump onto the space capsule (in the planetarium I guess) and not knowing it would move and he ended up doing the splits before a long inevitable yet slow death in lava just had me rolling. I kept replaying it and guffawing.

I was also wondering about headgear as well as, maybe, goggles. I don't know what the lava was but I don't think it was just water. There seemed to be something in it that made things slippery, more so than just wet slippery. I just wouldn't want it in my eyes is all. And a few of these folks really seemed to bash themselves. I'm surprised the show didn't have to require headgear.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:11 AM, Taeolas said:

* The Garage! Climbing over cars, lawn care equipment, bikes, the rack for a garage door, etc...

* The Backyard! Patio furniture, a treehouse.

* The Gym! bleachers, basketball nets, landing on sports balls, climbing along a volleyball net.

* The Attic! Like the basement but smaller obstacles. 

I love these ideas for Season 2. I'd also like to see multi episode comps. Like teams have to complete all 5 rooms, winning and losing points along the way. Most points is champion. It would give us more opportunity to get attached to teams (or not) and root them on.

Speaking of teams. Wow, those triplets. Did not like. Also the LA Bros. Disliked the flight attendants. Really liked the Alpha Beta Fish (3 young nice guys in the kitchen), liked the teachers (who wanted to buy patio furniture for their lounge), and was surprised to not hate the SD Social Media women. Except when they were screaming.

This could not have been a very expensive show and people are loving it so there has to be a season 2. Hopefully.

 

 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

That was a lot of fun! Gets that old cheesy game show itch scratched - loved Legends of the Temple and Shop 'til You Drop and Supermarket Sweep and Double Dare, and this works for me in that vein. Not sure they needed a Level 2 setup - Level 1 is hard enough already! And lowering the canoes seem to make them more difficult than being monkey bars. I like the episodes with three teammates more than the ones with two.

I too want to know how far down that lava goes. Is acting a slow death part of the unspoken rules? I was also intrigued by a couple of folks who seemed to almost be safe and then gasped and fell - are they pulled in if most their body goes in? So many production questions!!

Have no opinion on the host.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, TheGourmez said:

That was a lot of fun! Gets that old cheesy game show itch scratched - loved Legends of the Temple and Shop 'til You Drop and Supermarket Sweep and Double Dare, and this works for me in that vein. Not sure they needed a Level 2 setup - Level 1 is hard enough already! And lowering the canoes seem to make them more difficult than being monkey bars. I like the episodes with three teammates more than the ones with two.

I too want to know how far down that lava goes. Is acting a slow death part of the unspoken rules? I was also intrigued by a couple of folks who seemed to almost be safe and then gasped and fell - are they pulled in if most their body goes in? So many production questions!!

Have no opinion on the host.

We were saying the same thing, leave the canoe up. If you have the upper body strength, it isn't impossible. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm an admitted Rutledge Wood fangirl.  From Nascar goofball to Top Gear host to Hyperdrive and now to Floor is Lava.  This was way more entertaining than it should have ever been. Rut's over the top exuberance for everything really fits here.   Love all the different thought processes each team goes thru. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I keep waiting for someone to go down like Arnold in T2. There have been so many chances.

NegativeSarcasticImpala-size_restricted.

  • Love 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/24/2020 at 1:38 AM, TheGourmez said:

That was a lot of fun! Gets that old cheesy game show itch scratched - loved Legends of the Temple and Shop 'til You Drop and Supermarket Sweep and Double Dare, and this works for me in that vein. Not sure they needed a Level 2 setup - Level 1 is hard enough already! And lowering the canoes seem to make them more difficult than being monkey bars. I like the episodes with three teammates more than the ones with two.

I too want to know how far down that lava goes. Is acting a slow death part of the unspoken rules? I was also intrigued by a couple of folks who seemed to almost be safe and then gasped and fell - are they pulled in if most their body goes in? So many production questions!!

Have no opinion on the host.

Finished the season yesterday. Agree teams of three are better, and not much point to the Level 2 setups, except maybe the Study, which seemed the easiest room in Level 1. I suppose they wanted to create more variety in the course to keep viewers from getting bored without the expense of building more rooms.

I wonder about the rules of falling in the lava too. In particular, there was one guy who went in up to about his waist while holding onto a pole (I think). He seemed strong enough to pull himself out, but the producers must have yelled at him to let go. On the other hand, there was someone whose calf went in on the way to the exit, and they were OK.

I didn't remember that the host was on Hyperdrive, probably my favorite Netflix competition show.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Rickster said:

Finished the season yesterday. Agree teams of three are better, and not much point to the Level 2 setups, except maybe the Study, which seemed the easiest room in Level 1. I suppose they wanted to create more variety in the course to keep viewers from getting bored without the expense of building more rooms.

I wonder about the rules of falling in the lava too. In particular, there was one guy who went in up to about his waist while holding onto a pole (I think). He seemed strong enough to pull himself out, but the producers must have yelled at him to let go. On the other hand, there was someone whose calf went in on the way to the exit, and they were OK.

I didn't remember that the host was on Hyperdrive, probably my favorite Netflix competition show.

Probably once you go into the lava up to a certain point, you are considered in. I mean if it was real lava you would be dead if you were in up to your waist!

 

Share this post


Link to post

There are certainly rules we’re not privy to. If a prop gets a little wet the players abandon It rather than try to salvage it. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Fukui San said:

There are certainly rules we’re not privy to. If a prop gets a little wet the players abandon It rather than try to salvage it. 

 

I noticed that. It's not if it gets wet. If it lands in the water, it's gone. But if it lands on a "lava flow" (basically doesn't go into the "lava" then you can retrieve it and still use it. 

So yeah the more exact rules must make it clear how much of you can go into the water before you are judged out. Both legs and/or up to the waist seems to be the rule. 

Share this post


Link to post

Watched the first episode with my partner today. It was innocuous enough and something I'll check out again. I also have to concur with the folks saying that this scratches the Legends of the Hidden Temple / Shop Til' You Drop / Supermarket Sweep itch! I've missed gameshows like those recently. 

And while I love all the props and rooting for folks to make it to the end, I also find it super fun to root for some folks to fall to their doom. Most notably during the first episode, I was absolutely chuffed to see the triplet brothers fall into the lava one after the other. Same for the sister from the mother/son/daughter team that had the personality of a cardboard cutout OF a cardboard cutout. 

Edited by Stinger97
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, Stinger97 said:

And while I love all the props and rooting for folks to make it to the end, I also find it super fun to root for some folks to fall to their doom. Most notably during the first episode, I was absolutely chuffed to see the triplet brothers fall into the lava one after the other. Same for the sister from the mother/son/daughter team that had the personality of a cardboard cutout OF a cardboard cutout. 

Even before they started we were hoping they wouldn't make it! 

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Stinger97 said:

Watched the first episode with my partner today. It was innocuous enough and something I'll check out again. I also have to concur with the folks saying that this scratches the Legends of the Hidden Temple / Shop Til' You Drop / Supermarket Sweep itch! I've missed gameshows like those recently. 

And while I love all the props and rooting for folks to make it to the end, I also find it super fun to root for some folks to fall to their doom. Most notably during the first episode, I was absolutely chuffed to see the triplet brothers fall into the lava one after the other. Same for the sister from the mother/son/daughter team that had the personality of a cardboard cutout OF a cardboard cutout. 

I loved the airline steward/stewardess team. He had to butch it up & the double entendre's at the very end of the course were really funny because he was starting to crack up at them too. 

 

Here's a couple of articles about the show.

https://www.looper.com/220160/the-untold-truth-of-floor-is-lava-on-netflix/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2020/06/26/how-netflix-floor-is-lava-is-elaborate-version-kids-game/3261471001/

 

 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed this. It was good mindless fun.

I hope there was a lot of ice on set because it looked there were a lot of bruises. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/29/2020 at 6:06 PM, Steff said:

I loved the airline steward/stewardess team. He had to butch it up & the double entendre's at the very end of the course were really funny because he was starting to crack up at them too. 

 

Here's a couple of articles about the show.

https://www.looper.com/220160/the-untold-truth-of-floor-is-lava-on-netflix/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2020/06/26/how-netflix-floor-is-lava-is-elaborate-version-kids-game/3261471001/

 

 

So...I didn't see the set shown in the promo photos at the top of each of those articles? Is there a HIDDEN COURSE?!?!? *leaps for excitement* They show the triplets on one, so the contestants must have done more than one run?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TheGourmez said:

So...I didn't see the set shown in the promo photos at the top of each of those articles? Is there a HIDDEN COURSE?!?!? *leaps for excitement* They show the triplets on one, so the contestants must have done more than one run?

I was thinking the same thing. My guess is that it was staged just for promotional photos. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/3/2020 at 10:46 PM, TheGourmez said:

So...I didn't see the set shown in the promo photos at the top of each of those articles? Is there a HIDDEN COURSE?!?!? *leaps for excitement* They show the triplets on one, so the contestants must have done more than one run?

Rutledge has mentioned either on his twitter or instagram/instagram stories (see I'm seriously a Rut fangirl) that there were rooms built that we haven't seen.  He's really pushing everyone to bing-watch multiple times so they can get a 2nd season.  But from the looks of everything (#1 show) there will definitely be a 2nd season. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

It seems like the segments are filmed separately and the teams are matched in an episode afterwards, possibly to maximize the drama.  I’m thinking of the last episode (I think it was the finale) where the three fitness women beat the team with the two Navy friends by one second. The host didn’t say that they won by only one second and has never referenced the other teams. Which wouldn’t be fair to a team that does well but is “matched” against a team with a better score or time. Meanwhile in other instances a team wins with only one member making it to the end. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

It seems like the segments are filmed separately and the teams are matched in an episode afterwards, possibly to maximize the drama

That's possible. They did have a team stop (or at least they didn't show them go until all 3 fell) because they had no chance of beating a team that went before them. ie they didn't have enough people left to even tie if they were successful. 

Since there is prize money involved and laws are stricter with that, I think the pairings are legit. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

One thing that was odd to me was in I think the final episode

 

Spoiler

Where all the members of the first team fell, so you knew at least one on the second team made it (unless you thought they would show an episode where no one won). I would have thought they would reverse the order to create more suspense. Although I suspect they wanted to highlight the one team member making it all by herself, which would have had less impact if they went first.

 

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoy it for the problem-solving and especially the problem failing, but it feels sort of clunky to me. The team interviews and Rutledge interactions all seem like they were created before the run and then spliced into the show. I'll still watch for falls, but the suspension of disbelief takes a hit.

Edited by AncientNewbie

Share this post


Link to post

Made it through two episodes and that was it. It seems "off". I don't like the volcano thing or the exit passes. And didn't they get knocked out if they even touched the lava? I mean if it is lava, wouldn't your boil off? I don't know, I liked it originally but not happy with this. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah it definitly seems off this season. The volcano is an addition that doesn't work. Then the rooms seem less unique this year. Even the lava looks less cool, or should I say hot. It's thicker for sure. 

I'm on the last episode with it in the background. Only 5 this season.

Share this post


Link to post

It's driving me nuts that there seems to be no particular pattern to why there are sometimes 2 people from each team on the volcano and sometimes 3. At first I thought it had to do with how many finished the course, but that doesn't seem to be it.

  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't mind the final volcano challenge for the win; but it feels a bit too simple. The climb challenge makes sense but it is a bit dull TV wise, and it could use more aspects I think. Especially since the rules feel so "flexible". 

It is strange that they seem to randomly have 2 people vs 3 people with no real explanation.  I can think of a couple of reasons maybe....

1. Health reasons: A contestant on one (or two teams, I think 2 out of 5 runs were 2 vs 2) had a reaction to the goo they use for lava, so they couldn't do the final challenge. This doesn't seem all that likely.

2. Filming reasons. I suspect that each course, including the final volcano, is filmed in the same goo-pit and reset. So all the volcano climbs were done after the main courses were run, which would be days later. So maybe a teammate or two couldn't make it back for reasons so the challenge was cut back to 2. (Somewhat more likely since the 3rd teammates weren't shown at all)

3. Another filming reason, this time for safety. The races were filmed out of order, and the 3vs3 were early filming, then health and safety reevaluated the volcano challenge and decided aspects were too dangerous with 3 people but fine with 2. 

Anyways, a 5 ep binge feels good for this, but it seemed a bit more off to me this time. I like all the aspects but it didn't quite seem as much fun. I think part of it is that there is less cooperative challenges in the obstacles; everyone picks a path to a pass and they rarely interact much after that. (There was some but not as much as before). 

The course room felt smaller than it was in the first season too; maybe 2/3rds the size.

And as I said at the start, I do like the idea of the final head to head challenge, but I'm not sure I like this particular challenge. Maybe a relay race might make more sense, running away from the lava and ahead of the other team while the obstacles disappear so if you are too slow you are at more risk of going into the lava. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah I don't love most of the new changes, I think they've messed with the simplicity that made the first season so fun. I imagine the exit passes are to encourage everyone to take different routes, but it basically forces people to take fairly set paths, so you don't get the creativity and cooperation of the first season. And while it doesn't really effect the game play, I miss the very silly element of treating someone who had gone into the lava as if they'd died. Seeing everyone again after their run, and having them watch the other teams, ruins the (again, deeply silly) illusion a bit. 

That said, I actually like the idea of the head-to-head at the end in theory, but I agree with people upthread that the level is a bit boring.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, retrograde said:

Seeing everyone again after their run, and having them watch the other teams, ruins the (again, deeply silly) illusion a bit. 

Totally agree.  Huge mistake in production.

Share this post


Link to post

I think the reason there are sometimes 2 and sometimes 3 in the volcano event is dependent on how many players on the winning team finished. If there were only 2 then only 2 players on each team compete, if there were 3 then all 3 on both teams compete. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/17/2022 at 11:03 AM, anniebird said:

I think the reason there are sometimes 2 and sometimes 3 in the volcano event is dependent on how many players on the winning team finished. If there were only 2 then only 2 players on each team compete, if there were 3 then all 3 on both teams compete. 

That's what I thought as well and it makes sense, but I don't think it actually panned out that way.

Share this post


Link to post

That's what I thought the first episode I saw with only 2, because it was the case in that episode. But subsequent episodes had all 3 on the volcano, despite only 2 finishing the course. Hence my question. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size