Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Sing, Sing, Sing

AIRING JUN 21/ 20

Tiago and Lewis are tested in danger; Townsend is forced to turn to a last resort; spurred on by Elsa, Peter decides to take Tom, Trevor and Frank to the movies; Lewis oversees the prison transfer of Diego Lopez.

6 minutes ago, paigow said:

Did Magda influence the cops to lynch Diego?

I don't think those cops needed any help from a chaos demon; they likely had the killing planned from the minute he was brought in for questioning.

• Love 13

This was a really good episode. Everything was coming together for the Vega family to reconcile and I knew a storm was brewing. 

There will be rioting, looting and a race war when the Chicano community finds Diego’s body on that lamp pole. And I think one of Peter Craft’s sons (probably sweet Thomas because he’s the intelligent one who knows Frank is evil) is going to be seriously hurt or die in the riot and that’s going to put Peter RIGHT where Elsa/Magda want him to manipulate his (legitimate) grief and turn it towards violence. 

Lewis got the mafia to protect the kid- well played Lewis, well played. I do want us to have a season 2 as I think the show is very good. I can see Lewis being estranged from his children after their mother died due to their perception that he always put the job above being a father, and when their mother died they had no reason to try and connect with him. 

• Love 7

Brian Dennehy.  I kept looking at him and thinking, 'that can't be Brian Dennehy', but there he was.  So Papa Townsend is the real power broker in LA, and little Townsend realizes what a squib he is.

I hope Lewis at least informs his boss about the events.  Maybe his boss was even in on it, and it's not likely those cops will receive any real punishment, but how are they going to explain it?

Coincidentally enough, anyone remember the HBO series Carnivale?  There was a crucial scene in one of the episodes where one of the characters gets beaten to a pulp, and another one, Nick Stahl IIRC, gets his jollies in the back seat of a car, all set to the beat of Sing Sing Sing. 

I hope Herr Goss takes a long walk off of a short pier on dark night.

I wonder what's going to happen if the plot results in all of Natalie Dormand's characters showing up in the same place at the same time.

• Love 4

Goss did all that research on Lewis...without the Internet!!! Adelaide sent her minion on a nefarious task weeks ago and he disappeared! The Vega family pheromones are perfectly tuned to Fly Rico..that dude put all of them on his bucket list.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

This was a really good episode. Everything was coming together for the Vega family to reconcile and I knew a storm was brewing. 

I loved that they all argued and then were a family again.  Rio looked really pissed when Tiago and Molly came in.

Love Josefina's hair!!

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, Roxie said:

Great send-off for the great Brian Dennehy.  I read that it's his last film appearance before he passed.  RIP

It would have been unfortunate if The Blacklist was his final project...

• Love 2

Can't Maria tell that Rio and Elsa look exactly alike? I'd recognize Natalie Dormer anywhere. I guess we're meant to think there's some magic that makes her unrecognizable. 

Goodness, more dancing, and it appears that Maria is the one who taught all her kids those moves.

I take it the season finale is going to leave us on a cliff-hanger and Santa Muerte only knows when they'll be able to film another season.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Can't Maria tell that Rio and Elsa look exactly alike? I'd recognize Natalie Dormer anywhere. I guess we're meant to think there's some magic that makes her unrecognizable. 

Goodness, more dancing, and it appears that Maria is the one who taught all her kids those moves.

I take it the season finale is going to leave us on a cliff-hanger and Santa Muerte only knows when they'll be able to film another season.

I’ve been thinking the same thing... all of Magda’s alter egos look like Natalie Dormer to us but must look different to the characters interacting with them.

I thought it was funny that Fly Rico complimented Josefina’s dancing. If you looked closely, she was moving a bit stiffly and stomping her feet up and down like a person taking their first lesson and counting to eight in their head.

• Love 1
On 6/22/2020 at 11:10 AM, iMonrey said:

Yeah Magda is a demon- she can take any form she wants. WE as the audience know it’s her in disguise fucking with people, but the people she’s interacting with see her personas as she wants them to. Completely unrelated. No need to pay for another actor’s license to get that point across and it gives Natalie a chance to shine. The way she holds her mouth as Alex is too much for me! It’s a big physical transformation. 

I would love a second season- the show had a good writing team and a great ensemble cast. 

• Love 5

Things are about to get very very bad as soon as the Hispanic community sees the murdered corpse of Diego but for now its just great to see the Vega family all together again and having fun, having started working past their various issues. They aired all of their stuff out, and while this doesn't fix everything (especially with Tiego knowing that Mateo killed Reilly) they are still a family and they still love each other and the most important thing is that they all stay together. And they can all dance like nobody's business! 

I am calling that there will be a riot, Peter and his family get caught up in it, one of his kids gets hurt, and that pushes Peter to become more radical and more in line with what Elsa/Magda wants from him. Its too bad, as I dont think that Peter is such a bad man, even though he has made many mistakes, so him ending up going down a dark path towards supporting a monster like Hitler and causing more grief could very tragically. 

I continue to be really impressed by Nathan Lane here, I haven't seen him doing a lot of drama (and even here he gets most of the best one liners) and he really excels at it. Calling in the mob to protect the college kid is a good idea, but the Nazis wont be stopped so easily. I wonder why Lewis is estranged from his kids? He spent too much time on the job and neglected them after their mother passed? 

So Townsends father is a big deal (and is Brian Dennehy, in one last great performance) and thats probably why he has gotten as far as he has, even if his says that he has never asked his father for help, or has his fathers approval. 

Josephinas hair looks great!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

They aired all of their stuff out, 

Not everything...

• WHY Mateo killed Reilly
  • Mateo remains "un-outed" about his LGBT adventures
  • What if Rico, Mateo and Josefina all end up with the same STD
3 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I thought it was funny that Fly Rico complimented Josefina’s dancing.

He is not trying to be Bruno or Len...he wants a kinky Lannister threesome...

• LOL 2
(edited)

I don't know. Elsa seemed to be testing Maria over the orange juice, and Maria replied with a thinly veiled coyote reference. It looked too me that Maria might know who Elsa is. 

It looked like Rio was doing it too. 

I have no idea why Rio has anything to do with Mateo because he seems dumber every week. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Did everyone know how to dance in olden tymes? 

There’s some cultural stuff, that’s just outside of my familiarity, that’s an overlap of “pachuco”, zoot suits (and the zoot suit riots), and jazz/swing dance. I haven’t had time to do a real deep dive, but I think that’s the snapshot the show is trying to show us. I don’t know if it explains Maria’s moves, though.

I love the dance sequences. 

Ooh, found a nice article here, re PD’s dance scenes

• Love 4
11 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's what I'm saying though. Even Maria is getting down. 

I'm hoping Raul gets more to do. He was talking like he wants to. 

Dancing was a more common form of recreation for young people before televisions became standard in households.

It was an inexpensive way for young people to spend time and socialize. Of course some people are going to be more skilled than others, but Maria likely learned to dance as a young woman and still has the skills even if she moves a bit slower due to age. 

• Love 6

I was also thinking last night that the councilman could dance too, and they were all dancing at teh sekrit ghey club.

It's a good point though - they're not sitting home watching tv. It's just that *everyone* was getting down. No one was just sitting on the side.

• Love 1

It's a good point though - they're not sitting home watching tv. It's just that *everyone* was getting down. No one was just sitting on the side.

Yes I recall my own grandmother regaling me with stories about going to the dance hall on Saturday night in the WWII era. But I think it's more likely they were dancing to Big Band music. The folks on these shows look like they all auditioned for So You Think You Can Dance. They have some serious moves.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, kieyra said:

There’s some cultural stuff, that’s just outside of my familiarity, that’s an overlap of “pachuco”, zoot suits (and the zoot suit riots), and jazz/swing dance. I haven’t had time to do a real deep dive, but I think that’s the snapshot the show is trying to show us. I don’t know if it explains Maria’s moves, though.

I love the dance sequences. 

Ooh, found a nice article here, re PD’s dance scenes

Dang, I want the shoes Natalie Dormer’s wearing in that first picture!

• Love 1

Great to see Brian Dennehy in what turned out to be his last role (it was filmed in February and he passed in April...RIP). Cool to see the return of Brad Garrett as well. This show has outstanding casting, both the regular actors and the guests!

On 6/22/2020 at 2:20 PM, paigow said:

What if Rico, Mateo and Josefina all end up with the same STD

While Josephina danced with Rico, she didn't seem too interested in the guy and she warned him not to mess with Mateo..."I have his back". I love her red hair, really enhancing an already beautiful girl.

I have mixed feelings about Nathan Lane in this role. He is a great actor and he really captures the human side of the character and his justified disgust with the Nazis. He just isn't believable as a tough cop. When he talks about fighting back or going after someone physically, it just doesn't fit. 

By the way, I just saw Nathan Lane's appearance on a 35-year old episode of Miami Vice. He played a nightclub stand up comic who was killed 20 minutes into the episode after attempting to rape a cocktail waitress. Frankie Valli and James Remar also guested in the show. Pretty interesting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

In case anyone else here is obsessed with the costuming... the show appears to have obtained (at least) some of their shoes from Re-Mix Vintage Shoes. The first two pictures on this page are from the show: https://remixvintageshoes.com/pages/theatrical-purchases 

The first one shows Fly Rico, second is of Maria (with her back to us) talking to someone who’s wearing vintage style shoes.

No Rio pic, but their Boardwalk shoe sure looks like Rio’s: https://remixvintageshoes.com/products/boardwalk

• Love 1

He just isn't believable as a tough cop. When he talks about fighting back or going after someone physically, it just doesn't fit. 

Heh. Standing next to Brad Garrett, he looked positively Lilliputian. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 6/22/2020 at 12:33 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah Magda is a demon- she can take any form she wants. WE as the audience know it’s her in disguise fucking with people, but the people she’s interacting with see her personas as she wants them to. Completely unrelated. No need to pay for another actor’s license to get that point across and it gives Natalie a chance to shine. The way she holds her mouth as Alex is too much for me! It’s a big physical transformation. 

Agreed, but her German accent is absolutely terrible.  It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.