Type keyword(s) to search

Supermarket Sweep - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Taeolas said:

On a different note, is anyone else REALLY tired with how Leslie treats the "staff" in the supermarket? All that shouting and screaming would brand her as a Sucky Manager in most places, and would probably be classified as harassment in a non-scripted environment.  I know it's part of her comedy character; but it is really turning me off the show. 

Not to mention that if their races were reversed it would be seen by many as a very bad example of racism.  I just don't like situations that wouldn't be acceptable both ways.  If it's offensive one way it shouldn't be OK the other way.  Her exchange with the cashier this week was especially cringeworthy, awkward, and not funny at all.

• Love 2
On 12/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, hiisa said:

Did anyone see the most recent episode? Karange did such a terrible job! I was shocked they made it to the sweep at all the way the shopper wandered the aisles but Im not shocked at how TERRIBLE they did in the sweep. Ive never seen anyone do so poorly in the sweep. 

I swear there is some clause that game shows have to have: "People who can't tie their shoes, so let's put them on the show to make it different." Another thing is, who wears boots when you know one of you will be running through aisles. Plus, when you know it's a type of chips and you are there and are: "Well, I guess this is the wrong aisle even though we are looking for chips, let's go." I mean huh?

• Love 2

I am still quite happy to have this show back! And I'm glad they don't have to gamble on the final round anymore, but I wish they'd stick with rhyming clues. They seem way more possible to figure out than ones that just expect you to know some obscure fact. 

And lord, I was amazed how slow Team Bubbly Water was in the Sweep 1!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, springbarb said:

I need to know the details behind what happened in the second episode from this week--two teams hit HARD with penalties. I need to see the receipts!

I was wondering about that. Do they have actual penalties, on top of just not getting credit for the ineligible items?  I doubt they’ll be sharing the rulebook with the general public, but I hope they at least brief the contestants. 

• Love 1

All I heard Leslie say was that "some items are one per team".  I'm guessing the high dollar stuff in the general merchandise aisle.  The general rule is limit 3. In the original it was 5 and there you just didn't get credit for anything over the limit.  It certainly sounds like there's an additional penalty here.  The funny thing is in the first half I noticed things dropped/knocked off the shelf.  Like a lot.  There was crap all over the floor.  Yet no penalty.  In the original I think it was $50 or $100 for every item that was dropped (to keep from just taking shit in their carts and making an even bigger mess for Production to clean up).  So clearly the rules are quite a bit different in this one.   

The UK version has some items specifically marked 1-only, and they have a rule about spilling on the floor. 

This version there doesn't seem to be a spilling rule, or if there is, it's fairly arbitrary. But the item limited picks seemed fairly obvious as people were only grabbing 1 or 3 of high value items, at least until this round. I wonder if it was peer pressure; one team saw the other grabbing too many of an item and got in and grabbed too many as well. 

Given the totals, the penalties do seem strict. Not just "No value for items" but it almost seemed like it might be Negative value for the extras. 

The final sweeps are quite cut up, but I wonder if they showed some of the extra items being grabbed so we could get an idea of how much was grabbed that shouldn't be.

Oh and speaking of arbitrary rules, the inflatables puzzle me. In order for them to count, the sweeper has to get them across the line. Now we know that items in the carts and hands when the sweep ends also count even though they aren't across the line. But I thought inflatables might have been different. But in this ep (and in previous ones) the sweep ended with a sweeper having the inflatable (in hand) out on the floor and it still counted. So I guess that's a slight rule bend. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Taeolas said:

Oh and speaking of arbitrary rules, the inflatables puzzle me. In order for them to count, the sweeper has to get them across the line. Now we know that items in the carts and hands when the sweep ends also count even though they aren't across the line. But I thought inflatables might have been different. But in this ep (and in previous ones) the sweep ended with a sweeper having the inflatable (in hand) out on the floor and it still counted. So I guess that's a slight rule bend. 

They've enforced the "inflatables must be across the line" rule before, so that was a bit of a mystery.

• Love 2