Type keyword(s) to search

Renovation Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Interestingly, there is now a show on TV here in the US called "Renovation, Inc" about the Baeumlers building their lakefront vacation home. 

It had a different name in Canada, like most of these shows, which also makes things confusing. I have to read a few Primetimer posts to figure out which of the shows Americans are talking about.

• Love 3

Renovation, Inc. was also a show a couple of years ago where they purchase flip houses and Sarah designs and Bryan does what Bryan does.  I just heard about the special shows (lake show) here on this forum.  Renovation, Inc. was on before Renovation Island.

I just went and checked imdb and I remember now where I first saw him - it was on a show with Nate Berkus.  I thought I had seen him prior to his own shows but I couldn't remember where.

• Love 3

I just watched the latest episode of the Lake House.  I can't understand why they built such an enormous and expensive vacation home that is a three-hour drive from Toronto and their home.  How often did they visit this 'mansion' during the past ten years?  Now it's for sale.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

It appears to me that when they built it they planned to spend the majority of the summer there. 

Would have been rather difficult to run their construction business so far from the city, and the house isn't available by car.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

Would have been rather difficult to run their construction business so far from the city, and the house isn't available by car.

Bryan may have expected Sarah & the kids to stay out there all summer with the grandparents so that he could work in Toronto without their constant interruptions and Adam could do more supervision of the work while Bryan was at the "cottage" or touring the country in Home Shows or appearing on various US & Canadian HGTV special projects.

• Love 1

Well Brian really wasn't running his construction business day to day while he was constructing the lake house, was he?  True he did leave for a couple of days a couple of episodes ago but it appears for the most part he has been at the build site.  I think this build was what got Sarah so overly involved in the business...I didn't know she had run a ballet studio until I watched this show.

It seems to me that he has a great team who does most of the day in and day out running of his business.  After all, he is on an island thousands of miles away while he is building the resort.  

• Love 2

I think I saw the finale of the resort. Is there another season of it or another renovation show coming out? I like Bryan. The wife not so much. Also, if the kids could be less seen or heard I would greatly appreciate it. Yes, I know I’m going to hell for saying that. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I think I saw the finale of the resort. Is there another season of it or another renovation show coming out? I like Bryan. The wife not so much. Also, if the kids could be less seen or heard I would greatly appreciate it. Yes, I know I’m going to hell for saying that. 

I agree with you!  Bryan had several shows in Canada where he (alone) helped different homeowners each week. In one show he helped them fix botched DIYs, in another the homeowners would show him two areas of their home/yard and Bryan would decide which one they'd renovate. All involved average homes and typical things that viewers have problems with and the shows were very informative about how to do it properly.  Occasionally one of the homeowners would be very annoying, but you could look forward to not seeing them the next week.  When Bryan started renovating their own mega home and then built the mega Lake House, Sarah and the kids and their drama took up half of each show, so I had to PVR the shows so I could FFwd past that crap.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

As soon as the Lake House build series ends, they're going to build their forever home (yes, the one they sold when they moved to the resort, and Florida, full time).    Then, they had the house flipping where they worked on three properties through the season, and then they did the design, and remodeling right before the resort show started.    I really liked the first show, where Bryan helped homeowners with their homes. 

• Love 2

Things that struck me from the Lake House Reno:

1. Brian, you've already fathered 3 kids so you clearly know how babies are made. If you and your wife are not using birth control and not suffering any kind of infertility, you should not be surprised when said wife is pregnant with baby #4. Seriously, should have seen that coming a mile away.

2. Also Brian, I'm pretty sure Darren the architect wanted to bang you wife. I'd think he succeeded except Jojo looks just like you. 

3. If Sarah has interior designer friends, why didn't they hire them from get go rather than the immaturely unprofessional one they had who quit??? 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

3. If Sarah has interior designer friends, why didn't they hire them from get go rather than the immaturely unprofessional one they had who quit??? 

I blame that quitter for making Sarah think she could call herself a designer instead of a ballet teacher.

• Love 3
On 10/3/2021 at 4:13 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

As soon as the Lake House build series ends, they're going to build their forever home (yes, the one they sold when they moved to the resort, and Florida, full time).    Then, they had the house flipping where they worked on three properties through the season, and then they did the design, and remodeling right before the resort show started.    I really liked the first show, where Bryan helped homeowners with their homes. 

I've been watching them build this "forever home" on Renovation Inc. that I understand they've now sold. What a mess. They actually lived in the old part of the house while building the addition. It's a disaster with water leaking in where roofs meet temporarily on old and new parts of the build and changes are being made everywhere. Sarah really shows her craptastic personality by insisting on a wine room where there was supposed to be a pantry. She contracts for the staircase with a company that then can't build it. She picks tile that won't be available for three months and won't select something different that is available. Her choice for stone on the outside required additional foundation work. Her drawings for a fireplace were off by a foot and it had to be taken down and rebuilt. They are using a designer, but Sarah doesn't listen to her any more than she listens to Bryan and apparently the "design budget" is totally blown away with her costly mistakes, changes, and dumb choices. I want to reach through the TV and bitch slap her for being so stubborn and obnoxious.

• Love 4

I find the dream home episode from last night bizarre.   They needed almost 2,000 sq ft of tile, but didn't check to see if it's available before they need to have it delivered, and installed?      That was either a fake issue, or they're totally incompetent.     The whining about a wine cellar, a champaign area, and a real bar makes me wonder about their priorities.   

• Love 3

I find all their shows bizarre.  For some reason, I have a lot of trouble making heads or tails out of their renovations, timelines, everything.  It's very confusing to me.

As for the dream home, with the addition, it looks like two TOTALLY different houses stuck together, one of which is a rectangular monstrosity.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I find the dream home episode from last night bizarre.   They needed almost 2,000 sq ft of tile, but didn't check to see if it's available before they need to have it delivered, and installed?      That was either a fake issue, or they're totally incompetent.     The whining about a wine cellar, a champaign area, and a real bar makes me wonder about their priorities.   

Bryan and his team were on schedule and budget with the build until they were hampered by bad weather. It's Sarah and her designer that conspire to make changes and overspend who are incompetent. Sarah's arrogant attitude and whining make her unattractive and unlikeable. I mean, what mother of four thinks a wine room is more important than a pantry?

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

I mean, what mother of four thinks a wine room is more important than a pantry?

A very privileged one that already has tons of storage all over the house, including the enormous kitchen which probably has tons of all kinds of cabinets.

• Love 4

I'm struggling to understand my like of all the "Bryan" shows.  I wouldn't call it "hate watching" at this point but . . . . 

Sarah has an insufferable personality, no taste and terrible organizational skills.  Every completed project is a mash up of multiple incompatible design atrocities.  She costs extra money at every turn with poor planning and sequencing.  Her oblivious and privileged "I'm so adorable I can get away with this" smugging is unwatchable.

Bryan is a head-scratching blend of expertise and incompetence.  In his talking heads, he sounds confident and qualified, then cut to the video, and water is pouring in everywhere on multiple jobsites, the winter weather is a surprise to him every time, and all his subs are side-eyeing him and his harpy wife.

My husband pointed out that their kids have lived in construction sites their entire lives (which Bryan himself actually pointed out moments later in one of the shows).  That clip they keep repeating of Sarah gleefully dancing around shrieking about daddy crushing Quintyn's room with the excavator while the he is standing there as a toddler is horrid.  No wonder he hopped on a horse and rode away from the family!

Our family has actually renovated a number of properties similar to the ones B+S have.  We keep watching assuming we will see some common experiences and relate to them, but in reality we just keep scratching our heads trying to figure out how they have "successfully" kept at it for so long!

• Love 8

With the original renovation island about the resort remodel, Bryan said that the HGTV U.S. edition shows had compressed time lines, and scenes were shifted around between episodes.  So apparently when they originally aired, the timeline and events made more sense. 

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

With the original renovation island about the resort remodel, Bryan said that the HGTV U.S. edition shows had compressed time lines, and scenes were shifted around between episodes.  So apparently when they originally aired, the timeline and events made more sense. 

I watched the original airing in Canada and it didn't make sense. They seemed to be heading in one direction, then Sarah demanded that Bryan drop everything and turn one of the bungalows into the kids' house. And right before tourists were due to arrive, Sarah demanded that Bryan drop everything to redo the adult bungalow. I preferred Bryans shows 10+ years ago when Sarah & the kids were rarely seen and never heard. They ruin the show.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4

Watching Renovation Inc, the "dream home" has become a problem this week. It airs here on Comcast on Sunday nights and I record it in case I'm busy. Last night I was doing something else and the DVR recorded the show time and labeled it Season 5, Episode 6, Tile and Error. But when I played it back it wasn't Renovation Inc. 

The Comcast Guide showed Renovation Inc in the time slot, but aired Love It or List It. Apparently the same thing happened the night before when Outgrown was on the Guide, but a different show aired and the DVR recorded the wrong show.

I'm so confused... has this happened anywhere else?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Watching Renovation Inc, the "dream home" has become a problem this week. It airs here on Comcast on Sunday nights and I record it in case I'm busy. Last night I was doing something else and the DVR recorded the show time and labeled it Season 5, Episode 6, Tile and Error. But when I played it back it wasn't Renovation Inc. 

The Comcast Guide showed Renovation Inc in the time slot, but aired Love It or List It. Apparently the same thing happened the night before when Outgrown was on the Guide, but a different show aired and the DVR recorded the wrong show.

I'm so confused... has this happened anywhere else?

I had the same experience with DirecTV. Description was exactly as you stated (Tile & Error), but I got a very old episode of David Bromstead's lottery dream home search. And when I say old, I mean ZERO tattoos.

So, I tried to tape it again (3 hrs later), and got the same Lottery Dream Home rerun. Anyone know what happened to "Tile & Error"?  Those of you who got the show, did you see it? Did we miss anything special?

• Useful 1

I think the networks send out the schedule to the cable guide people, but don't bother changing when the decide not to air something.     I had that happen with this show, and Outgrown was listed to air in it's usual slot, and a marathon Monday morning, and it didn't run.    I wondering if Renovation Island isn't doing very well in the ratings, so they're going to start running it very early to burn off episodes?     Or it will just disappear during the rating sweeps month (November), and come back in December.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

Count me in among those wondering what's going on with the rest of the season of Reno Inc where they are building the big house.  Our TV channel listings showed it airing at 10pm Sunday night on HGTV, which was consistent with the previous weeks after it changed from the 8pm slot. But HGTV's website schedule listed the Lottery show and that's what aired. Also when I searched their schedule, it appears as if they've dropped the show after only 5 episodes of that season. Nothing is listed in the next few weeks (like up through December) except for the first 5 episodes re-airing at like 4am.  I don't understand why HGTV US started airing this season if they weren't going to show the whole run.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, cameron said:

Once again has struck, Renovation Home Sweet Home was preempted again.

And yet both episodes have aired for me...but I'm on D+ so that might be the difference.

Why does Sarah wear those stupid hats?  Perhaps its a Canadian thing?

1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

And yet both episodes have aired for me...but I'm on D+ so that might be the difference.

You're lucky.  I watched them on Directv satellite.

And when I say "perhaps its a Canadian thing" I mean that from the viewpoint of a Texan where we don't have to wear hats most of the time to keep our heads warm...especially not in a house in the middle of winter that isn't fully insulated.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, RoxiP said:

It is not a Canadian thing, I think it is an HGTV/DIY/Tinyhouses "reality" thing.  It is more common to see a young American self-avowed "designer" who wears a fedora or tuque indoors or outdoors when not needed because they think it makes them look cool.  Instead it makes them look like dorks.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Shelbie said:

Maybe it was a case of her roots needing to be done.

I thought that too.  It's just the hats she wears are not flattering to her and she obviously cares a lot about what she thinks...a beanie would look better in my humble but accurate opinion...LOL!

• Love 1
On 12/26/2021 at 3:06 PM, ByaNose said:

And, Bryan never takes his shirt off. Where is the gratuitous shirtless shot? He’s on a beautiful island and working outside all day. What’s he hiding? LOL!!!!!

A dad bod, perhaps? Which I have no problem with. He's a dad several times over. And he's what, mid-40s? Unless he's a Hollywood actor who has to go shirtless for a role (e.g. The Rock, Chris Pine, Halle Berry in Bruised--she wore a sports bra, but damn! Her body)--you're probably not going to be in shirtless shape. 😄

• Love 1
1 hour ago, topanga said:

A dad bod, perhaps? Which I have no problem with. He's a dad several times over. And he's what, mid-40s? Unless he's a Hollywood actor who has to go shirtless for a role (e.g. The Rock, Chris Pine, Halle Berry in Bruised--she wore a sports bra, but damn! Her body)--you're probably not going to be in shirtless shape. 😄

I guess I’m thinking about the days when Ty Pennigton & Carter Oosterhouse used show some skin. LOL!!!

• LOL 2

Island of Bryan/Renovation Island is back with a new season. The family is focused on renovating their Florida home which has an air hangar. Bryan is working on getting his pilots license. They also showed a few scenes of the Bahamas hotel . Unfortunately, they sold the beautiful home in Canada.

• Love 2

I liked the new episode. There was less bickering. And I can understand why they sold the house. The money for the new house and the hotel has got to come from somewhere. But some of the items Sarah fancied when they were discussing which items to let go made me lose my last bit of faith in her taste. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sewlitaire said:

I liked the new episode. There was less bickering. And I can understand why they sold the house. The money for the new house and the hotel has got to come from somewhere. But some of the items Sarah fancied when they were discussing which items to let go made me lose my last bit of faith in her taste. 

Where are you watching this?  Haven't been able to find it.

1 hour ago, cameron said:

Where are you watching this?  Haven't been able to find it.

It is still called "Island of Bryan" on HGTV Canada. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 1
(edited)

I remember when the resort renovation series aired in the U.S., and Bryan said that HGTV recut everything, messed up the timelines, and I'm not sure why that happened.  

John Travolta lives, or did, in a subdivision that has individual airplane hangers with the mansions.     It's in Florida, and I don't know if it's the same subdivision or not.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
On 3/30/2022 at 11:16 AM, Sewlitaire said:

The home in Canada was beautiful. I wouldn't have sold that . The Florida home with a airplane hanger is so cool. I have never heard of that before.

13 hours ago, oakville said:

The Florida home with a airplane hanger is so cool.

What town is this?  I wonder if it's where John Travolta has his home.  It's in a community that has airplane hangers.

(edited)
10 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

What town is this?  I wonder if it's where John Travolta has his home.  It's in a community that has airplane hangers.

I wondered the same thing.  Apparently they live in Palm Beach and John lives in Ocala. Not far away, but there are several communities with "air parks" and "air ranches".

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 1