Type keyword(s) to search

Renovation Island - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Quentyn (couldn’t they have spelled it right?) made need to give up his expensive sport. Liked Bryan hinting he should get a job. 😆 Wonder if the elder daughter dropped ballet. Nice that they adopted an island stray.

• Love 1

Let me get this straight. Bryan doesn’t get anything he wants and Sarah gets everything she wants, right?! I was just double checking.

it must have been awful living on a beautiful island with all the food at your disposal and all of that beautiful blue water. Then fly to a Florida mansion because you really feeling cramped on your huge island. Then you flew back to your massive mansion in Canada to visit your 15 year old son with his horse and private riding lessons. Yeah! I think they are doing fine and will continue to talk about at nauseam.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Quintyn (that's how his name is spelled) is living in Canada with his grandparents which in my opinion is perfectly ok. And if my kid was passionate about and good at something and if I could afford it, I would move heaven and earth to make it possible for him to pursue it. But renovating this resort must've cost a ton of money and I can't see how they'll cover their investment any time soon. Hope their Canadian business is doing well.

Last year filming any new stuff was very difficult. HGTV Canada made 22 episodes which were very popular in Canada. And what did HGTV US do? They condensed the 22 episodes into 11, put the emphasis on those two bickering instead of the renovation and completely messed up the timeline during editing. So frustrating.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Sewlitaire said:

Quintyn (that's how his name is spelled) is living in Canada with his grandparents which in my opinion is perfectly ok. And if my kid was passionate about and good at something and if I could afford it, I would move heaven and earth to make it possible for him to pursue it. But renovating this resort must've cost a ton of money and I can't see how they'll cover their investment any time soon. Hope their Canadian business is doing well.

I'm relieved to find out he's living with the grandparents.    

Spoiler

They sold the giant home they owned in Canada, and bought the house in Florida that was obviously cheaper, because it's a fixer.

• Love 1

I should just change my name to "late to the party," because I always manage to catch shows like this after they've been on for awhile!  I caught this one right as the last season was ending.  I haven't watched enough of it for them to be getting on my nerves just yet!

I applaud them for taking the risk, and I hope they're successful, but their resort will probably need constant repairs due to the salt water and wind.  I'm wondering if the new roofs they put on have a better protective coating than the previous ones (bolts too).  My main concern is for hurricane season.   I grew up about 5 miles from the beach and it was scary enough whenever one of the more powerful ones was heading our way.  I wouldn't want to be 50 feet from the beach when one comes through!  I wonder how difficult it would be for them and their guests to get a plane out of there if they think one is heading their way.  I don't mean to be a Debbie-downer about it, but that's just the kind of things I think about.  

Other than that, it's a beautiful resort and would be great to live there - except for hurricane season!  

• Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

That’s one fancy one room schoolhouse. 

Just came to post about this. They gut and re-do a villa to make a school house that likely was only needed last fall and this spring. She says she did it as the only space they've done for themselves and because the kids have sacrificed so. Um, yeah, whatever. Must be such a sacrifice to live at an upscale tropical resort and home school. So so hard! Swimming in the pool, eating chef's meals, frolicking in the crystal clear ocean and doing school on your own time with 1 attentive teacher for 3 of you. They have bikes and beach games and boats and a dog and cat. They are dressed well. Probably have the top of the line electronics. Yeah, such a hard knock life (as Annie sang). Man, that lady is the most insufferable dolt I have ever watched on TV and it was a very high bar (Christina whatever her last name is now, Chip Gaines, David Bromstad for starters). 

To rip apart that villa (they even ripped out granite counters) for a temp school house...and make the workers do that work. Ughhh, so unnecessary. Just take out the beds and plop in 3 desks. Regular old school desks. Heck, picnic table would do. Unless she plans to keep it a business center for guests. Or maybe add a bed back to it as it is and have her eldest daughter sleep there since they all share 1 villa. 

And they hired a teacher. I am sure every school kid parent would have loved to have been able to do that during covid. Unbelievable. But they have it soo soo hard. Man is that gal tone deaf. 

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Lamima said:

Just came to post about this. They gut and re-do a villa to make a school house that likely was only needed last fall and this spring. She says she did it as the only space they've done for themselves and because the kids have sacrificed so. Um, yeah, whatever. Must be such a sacrifice to live at an upscale tropical resort and home school. So so hard! Swimming in the pool, eating chef's meals, frolicking in the crystal clear ocean and doing school on your own time with 1 attentive teacher for 3 of you. They have bikes and beach games and boats and a dog and cat. They are dressed well. Probably have the top of the line electronics. Yeah, such a hard knock life (as Annie sang). Man, that lady is the most insufferable dolt I have ever watched on TV and it was a very high bar (Chip Gaines, David Bromstad for starters). 

To rip apart that villa (they even ripped out granite counters) for a temp school house...and make the workers do that work. Ughhh, so unnecessary. Just take out the beds and plop in 3 desks. Regular old school desks. Heck, picnic table would do. Unless she plans to keep it a business center for guests. Or maybe add a bed back to it as it is and have her eldest daughter sleep there since they all share 1 villa. 

And they hired a teacher. I am sure every school kid parent would have loved to have been able to do that during covid. Unbelievable. But they have it soo soo hard. Man is that gal tone deaf. 

👏👏👏 

I bet local school kids would love to have a place like that to go to.

• Love 6
(edited)

Yeah, I’m sure the local children aren’t invited to their privileged academy.  I’m sure Sarah is the principal. I doubt there has been any hardship for the poor poor children. Give me a break. They are at a tropical resort with food and running water. It’s not Little House on the Prairie where they have to run outside to use the bathroom. Although, Sarah does resemble Nellie Olson. Bryan is a real saint. He doesn’t even try to hide that she’s an annoying biatch. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 6/29/2021 at 5:53 PM, ByaNose said:

Yeah, I’m sure the local children aren’t invited to their privileged academy.  I’m sure Sarah is the principal. I doubt there has been any hardship for the poor poor children. Give me a break. They are at a tropical resort with food and running water. It’s not Little House on the Prairie where they have to run outside to use the bathroom. Although, Sarah does resemble Nellie Olson. Bryan is a real saint. He doesn’t even try to hide that she’s an annoying biatch. 

I find them both a little annoying. I think Sarah gets a bad rap. Brian is just as demanding, but when he says “we’re going to do X,” people just do it. No one questions or challenges him. Most of Sarah’s ideas are on the design end, which leaves Brian (and us) to question every choice she makes. This is an expensive-ass resort. If it doesn’t at least look expensive and fancy, guests will complain. 

They actually argue less than they did last season, but they don’t seem to like each other very much. And I enjoyed watching how they made it through the pandemic, though I agree that they’re more privileged than everyone else on that island put together. I like they gave good away to local residents. But they do that rich people thing where they say their employees “are just like family.” The hell they are. You have no idea what these people go through when they leave your property.  Do you know what’s going on with their family members? Do you know if they have running water at home or food at night? Do you know their children’s names?

It’s kinda sad that Quintyn clearly doesn’t want to live with the rest of his family in the Bahamas right now. I don’t think it’s just because of his horses. Is that he doesn’t want to be on TV? Does he hate the island? Does he hate his family? Makes you wonder.  

• Love 7

If Quintyn actually wants to compete jumpers at the national and international level, then he will have to leave the island.   I'm just glad he can stay with the grandparents, and not have room and board with some host family.     

• Love 4

I believe the 15 year old is living with his grandparents.  Most parents do what it takes to help their children pursue their dreams and apparently they believe this is a good goal to pursue.  Better than drugs and becoming a social media influencer. 

I never judge a couple's dynamic - they do seem to argue but at the end they seem like they walk away still happy with one another.  I think they both have strong personalities (plus I think he just likes to make her annoyed so he picks at her a little

)

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, chessiegal said:

I first saw Bryan on one of his shows where it was just him and his co-workers and clients. I really enjoyed those shows and appreciate his expertise. Then he did the show renovating his house and we meet Sarah. She came off as a whiney entitled princess - cost/practicality be damned, she wanted what she wanted. Such an unlikeable person. I see she hasn't changed.

I feel the same way.  His original shows were informative and Sarah was safely off camera  teaching ballet.  I don't think she has any design training; she seems to do everything by trial and error, which costs a mint.  In the show where they remodelled their whole house, 3/4 of the way through installing the fireplace and 20' tall rock/tile chimney facing, she made them tear it all out and move it over a foot, which involved new footings & roof-work as well as a 6-week delay,  Ever since we've referred to her as Princess Whineypants. The tropical weather has made her even worse.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 8/11/2020 at 8:21 PM, MaKaM said:

I would say I would be interested in seeing how the show looked in its original state, but I am not ready to watch it all again any time soon. 

The Canadian shows have twice as much bickering and they indulge the two younger children while ignoring the older two.  Be careful what you wish for 😉

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

I read that   if you have the bucks ($32,000.00 a night) you can rent the entire resort for you and your family/friends!!  that price is during the least expensive time of the year!!! I agree with that poster if I am staying at a fancy place I want a tub in the bathroom!  and why al,white so sterile looking!

Edited by sue450
  • Love 2

the original resort was built  in the 1960's it was called  las palmas hotel  then Ritz beach then   emerald beach club   then emerald palms

and now it's current name  Caerula Mar Club,

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bunnyette said:

So they order these expensive art pieces, and the artist doesn’t send a layout…and Bryan promises the spoilt brats baby goats…

Huh? It wasn’t on HGTV July 4th. Did they show a new epi on Discovery+?

On 6/28/2021 at 6:40 PM, ChitChat said:

I applaud them for taking the risk, and I hope they're successful, but their resort will probably need constant repairs due to the salt water and wind.  I'm wondering if the new roofs they put on have a better protective coating than the previous ones (bolts too).

That entire resort will require constant cleaning and maintenance inside and out.  And everything is so white!  Just the laundry alone will be a huge job, never mind keeping all those hardwood floors in the cottages free of sand.

• Love 1

Those kids knew better than to take those ducklings into the pool. The two youngest kids really come across as spoiled. 
I’m sure there must be a business on the island that can be hired to cut those coconuts off the trees.

• Love 3
(edited)

Sarah prioritizing aesthetics over function and practicality drives me nuts.  It seems to be a running theme of the show, from the upholstered stool & chair in a honeymoon suit bathroom rather than a soaker tub for two, to a pretty storage room rather than a bathroom & changing room in this new boutique.  It would seem very likely that the back stock could be located in another storage area of the resort without much headache. It's not like sunglasses and Caerula Mar t-shirts are going to be flying off the shelves like toilet paper in a pandemic that the employee working the shop would be restocking more than once a day. Heck, probably more like once a week.  But said employee may very well need to use the bathroom during their shift and customers will certainly want to try on sundresses and bathing suits on the spot for the right fit. What a hassle for the guests to drag clothes and swimwear back to their rooms to try on and for the employee to keep track of that inventory while it's being loaned out like a library book.  I worked retail clothing for several years many moons ago and that just sounds like a nightmare.  I see both lost sales and lost merchandise.  And while I'm sure Sarah would visualize a posh spacious fitting room with white upholstered benches and moldings on the wall, the reality is a corner of the store where a curtain can be drawn for privacy would still function better than no changing space at all in this glorified gift shop.

As for the posh school villa, that seemed like more time & money than necessary if it's only going to be short term.  But then my impression of the Baeumler parents when it comes to their children's education is that they are rather wishy-washy.  I realize that public education has been thrown upside down for many during this pandemic, but their kids' schooling has changed several times before Covid became the word of the day.  In the pilot episode, Sarah and Brian identified as a homeschooling family, and as one myself, I was interested to see how they would juggle homeschooling for four and a Caribbean resort reno, That angle has never really played out. Instead if I follow the snippets correctly, pre-pandemic they switched the oldest son to a Florida boarding school for high school, presumably after realizing they couldn’t invest the proper time into homeschooling at that grade level while fixing up the paradise money pit, and then enrolled the other three kids in a local island school. Now, during the pandemic, those three are doing virtual schooling  (presumably based out of their previous Canadian school district???) as well as a private on-site tutor while the oldest is back in Canada with his grandparents for school, having no interest in tropical life.  (I'm not entirely sure the other three kids really want to be on the island either.)  Regardless, I'm not surprised their original homeschooling wasn't successful because it's something that takes time investment, dedication, and conviction, and the kids' education has come off more as an after-thought rather than a priority to these parents. 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 3

As a kid I would have loved to have had that living situation. I have always been a water baby and if I had to choose to live between Canada and it’s cold winters and constant summer on a tropical island there would have been no contest!  

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually watched a little of this, and it took them until right before opening to a bunch of guests to figure out the coconuts were going to kill someone?    And the attitude of the kids to finding out they couldn't run around screaming on the beach, and jumping in the pool when there are paying guests living there, was terrible.   Especially the son.     The two girls might have been ticked too, but at least they didn't whine about it.    

My guess is if the three kids went running through the guest block to go swimming, or run around on the beach, that they would be loud, inconsiderate, and irritate the guests.  

I think a lot of the 'drama' like the solar panel installation must be for the show, because there is no way that they contracted for a major project like that without getting an estimate of the time it would take. 

I'm never going to be vacationing at some expensive resort in the Caribbean.   However, if I was booking somewhere, or telling a friend where to go for a lovely vacation, and saw the son whining about guests ruining his fun, then I would pick another resort.   Also, the resort seems very overpriced compared to other resorts with a lot more amenities.      I'm guessing a lot of their guests come in groups for weddings or other events, so they could schedule around fully booked weeks to do the work.   I'm hoping the coconut issue was fake drama, because the coconut removal, and trimming the lower leaves or fronds or whatever they're called, should be routine maintenance from the first day at the resort.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I actually watched a little of this, and it took them until right before opening to a bunch of guests to figure out the coconuts were going to kill someone?    And the attitude of the kids to finding out they couldn't run around screaming on the beach, and jumping in the pool when there are paying guests living there, was terrible.   Especially the son.     The two girls might have been ticked too, but at least they didn't whine about it.   

I think a lot of the 'drama' like the solar panel installation must be for the show, because there is no way that they contracted for a major project like that without getting an estimate of the time it would take. 

The son is a real drama queen.  Get over it kid.

And I guess that the guests never heard of the pandemic.  Not a mask insight or any kind of social distancing.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 6
(edited)

Agree!  One of the underlying running themes of last night’s episode appeared to be ‘entitled, rich guests trying to escape pandemic restrictions arrive at resort putting an end to the free reign of spoiled entitled kids who are old enough to behave better.’

And I couldn’t get past Sarah, who was just insufferable this episode, and her seriously messed up priorities.  Who cares if the nightstands are precisely the exact same distance from the bed on both sides or if the towels have even sight lines with the sinks?  Are complimentary rulers provided at check-in for guests to verify?  I would think just the fact that the bathroom was adequately stocked with towels is really most guests’ main concern. They are going to notice their absence, not their presence. Certainly seemed like the bigger priority she should have been stressing over was keeping surfaces sanitized and other mitigation efforts.

Also, while it seemed like an odd time (fully booked hotel during grand re-opening) to embark on a major project like the solar panels, Sarah made it a bigger deal than I suspect it was. It’s not like it was a full A/C replacement or leaky roof that might put up warning flags for guests.  Some signs that simply said, “We appreciate your patience while the resort becomes more environmentally friendly” along with free Caerula Mar Goes Green sunhats and approaching it with an atmosphere of ‘these improvements are a good thing’ might have gone a long way.  I at least thought Brian had a good idea when he enticed the guests to the bar area while they completed a key step in the process in a different area.  I bet a good marketing manager could have even taken that up a notch, turning the week into a themed celebration—Earth Day six months early maybe. Throw in a few contests/giveaway drawings and guests aren't so put out about being there the week the solar power went in if there's "extras" that they wouldn't have gotten by arriving the week after it was done.

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 3
On 7/1/2021 at 10:23 PM, RoxiP said:

I think he just likes to make her annoyed so he picks at her a little

This.  I lived this with a parent.  Brian also likes to make himself look smart by making her look dumb.  I hope it is all an act on both sides, but it makes the show unwatchable for me.

• Love 4

My father was a Holiday Inn manager. At that time, they had resident managers, so my brother and I grew up in hotel/motels. We could go swimming in the pools whenever we wanted. I bet Bryan and Sarah banned the kids from the pool because Lincoln would probably do cannonballs and splash the paying customers, and he and his little sister would then loudly play “Marco Polo”! 
I bet the woman (the manager?)with Sarah when she was going OCD with the towels, etc. was rolling her eyes behind Sarah’s back. It reminded me of the Downton Abbey opening credits showing the table being set with the servants using rulers to space the cutlery and dishes exactly. 🙄

2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

This.  I lived this with a parent.  Brian also likes to make himself look smart by making her look dumb.  I hope it is all an act on both sides, but it makes the show unwatchable for me.

That isn’t hard to do!

• Love 2

Quyntin lives in Canada with the grandparents, because he's trying to be an international level horse jumper rider.   

I think the younger son is just spoiled, and a total whiner.   I bet the rules about the parents having to go along when they kids go to the beach or pool is because the son would bother the paying guests.  

• Love 4

I read reviews of M. Night Shyamalan’s new movie “Old” yesterday. I know I’ll eventually see it because Rufus Sewell is in it. Anyway, when Sarah talked to those guests about taking an excursion to a private beach on the other side of the island, I thought of what I had read about the plot of “Old” and burst out laughing. 😏

Why can’t the kids go out to the beach? Good grief. 
The guests are going to a resort that is still under construction. If they can’t handle seeing power tools and wood on a porch or washing machines being moved, they need to stay home. I think this is a case of Sarah being anal.

• Love 2

I think the beach rule and pool with the kids was because they didn't want the kids yelling and shrieking through the guest areas, and bothering people.   With what they charge for a room, I wouldn't want to have some kids screaming and running around when I'm trying to sleep, or just relax.   I doubt the little girls would be noisy like that, but the younger son seems to be used to doing what he wants, and doesn't care about anyone else's feelings.   

• Love 7
On 7/19/2021 at 5:07 PM, LittleIggy said:

“Marco Polo”

I despise when kids play Marco Polo in a pool.  It's a stupid concept, you can't win, and the constant repetition makes me want to gouge my eyes out.  sorry..

• Love 6
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think the beach rule and pool with the kids was because they didn't want the kids yelling and shrieking through the guest areas, and bothering people.   With what they charge for a room, I wouldn't want to have some kids screaming and running around when I'm trying to sleep, or just relax.   I doubt the little girls would be noisy like that, but the younger son seems to be used to doing what he wants, and doesn't care about anyone else's feelings.   

I understand the pool ban, but not the beach. Surely they could get far enough away from the guests.

(edited)

I bet going to the beach without an adult present is a rule for safety, and the parents wanted to make sure the kids didn't go swimming alone in the ocean. 

The parents said they would have to walk the other route to the beach, and not run through the guest area.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I bet going to the beach without an adult present is a rule for safety, and the parents wanted to make sure the kids didn't go swimming alone in the ocean. 

Probably so.  I thought I heard one of the kids say that although they miss the pool, they can still swim in the ocean.  Hopefully they all have a beach day or two during the week!

• Love 1
On 7/5/2021 at 8:15 AM, Sewlitaire said:

Canada is a couple episodes ahead.

I’m confused about the episode order. I just watched two episodes—with different titles—that were the essentially the exact same episode, with slightly different editing. 

I’m still enjoying the process of watching the resort come together. But I agree that the wife has gotten annoying. I liked her much better last season. Maybe she’s just stressed. 

(edited)
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I understand the pool ban, but not the beach. Surely they could get far enough away from the guests.

But kids swimming in the ocean without a lifeguard or adult supervision is a bad idea. One of the parents or nanny/teacher would have to actually parent the kids. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, deirdra said:

But kids swimming in the ocean without a lifeguard or adult supervision is a bad idea. One of the parents or nanny/teacher would have to actually parent the kids. 

I never said the kids should go by themselves! 🙄 They have that teacher who could go with them.

I feel a little bad for Lincoln for all the criticism he's getting.  I don't know him and he may be as spoiled as the day is long (his family certainly has the means to do so) but he's also a little boy.  What is he, 10?  I think they said Charlotte just turned 13 and he appears several years younger than her.  What little kid wants to give up things that he has been enjoying.  He's had free run of the resort and has enjoyed it.  Now he's being told he can't do a lot of the stuff that he's been doing.  Most kids wouldn't be excited about that either. Its not like he laid down on the floor and threw a temper tantrum - he was asked how he felt about it and he said he didn't like it.  I can't blame him - I probably wouldn't either. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, topanga said:

But I agree that the wife has gotten annoying. I liked her much better last season. Maybe she’s just stressed. 

I don't mind her.  I can't imagine the stress of trying to pull all of the decorating, etc. together!  If people are going to pay top dollar to stay there, then she's got to get it looking top-notch!  I like the neutral colors they've picked out for the cottages.  It is very soothing.  I'd like a little tour into one of the hotel-style rooms.  We got a glimpse into one or two of them, but I'd like them to show us a few more of them, and in detail!  

I appreciate that they're making the office nice for the site managers.  Some people wouldn't go the extra mile to make them comfortable, but she has said many times that they're trying to make it a nice and safe place for their employees to work.  I like that attitude! 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Considering what the governor there is doing and saying, Bryan is smart to reconsider going to Florida.

Agree!  They are lucky to have a huge home & property in Canada. If they want time off the island, they'd be better to return there for a break. I really don't see FL being the ideal situation that they seem to think it will be for many reasons ranging from Covid to long distance hotel management. It seemed like the island contractor didn't think so either.  

Also, from Sunday's US episode, am I the only one who couldn't help picturing Dexter season one when they set up that shipping container? 😁 

season8newpromotionalphoto2.png

• LOL 3

I read an interview with Bryan recently, and they sold the home in Canada.    I think they always wanted to have on-site experienced managers, and never planned to live on the island permanently.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
4 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

I really don't see FL being the ideal situation that they seem to think it will be for many reasons ranging from Covid to long distance hotel management. 

To be fair, it's only  200 miles from Wellington, FL (where the rental home is) to Andros Island.  They could be on site fairly quickly if needed (based on quick access to a flight).  I'm sure that they could take a private plane if necessary (again, assuming they have those connections).  

That would be much better than being way up in Canada, as far as hotel management goes.  

With Covid breaking out just about everywhere, it might be best that they just stay on the island at this point!  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I read an interview with Bryan recently, and they sold the home in Canada.    I think they always wanted to have on-site experienced managers, and never planned to live on the island permanently.      

Their Canada home was pretty nice. Too bad they gave it up. Maybe, they’ll stay in the area and build a mega home which no doubt will be the basis of their inevitable new show. LOL!!!!! 

• Love 2

They are already talking about renovating the Florida home which I am sure will be a new show.  Honestly i have enjoyed Renovation Island.  First of all, it is a beautiful location.  Secondly, I think it is interesting to see them dealing with a somewhat remote location, having to have everything flown in, etc.  If i had some marketable skill i would love to live and work there.

• Love 4