Type keyword(s) to search

Leverage: Redemption in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)
8 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Does Leverage undo what they did? It would have to be for a con bc Sophie’s too believable as a widow for her to be acting. It’ll be interesting to see what happens next for Hutton.

For my money, although this is a good outcome for Hutton and will make re-watching the original series that much easier, killing Nate off was the right narrative decision for the show to make. A reunion involving Nate would have felt like a backward step, since the whole of the original series was basically Nate's story, whereas a reunion with Nate dead felt like a forward step, telling a new story. Even just having Nate off-screen doing something else wouldn't have achieved that. His death made it a clean slate, in effect, releasing Sophie's character from her bond with him and enabling her to move forward into the next phase of her life. Plus, it meant Nate got to keep his happy ending. He walked off into the sunset with the woman he loved and lived a blissfully contented life with her until the day he died - that's a 100% happy ending for the character, in my book!

(And, you know, the character was a chronic alcoholic who spent years of his life marinating in bitterness and grief, and then still more years intensely driven by anger and revenge. It really isn't hard to believe that he might not have quite made it to 60!)

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 16

The second batch of eight episodes of Leverage: Redemption will be released on Friday, Oct. 8th.

Drew Powell will reprise his role as Jack Hurley from the Original Leverage series.

Other guest stars include Ben Thompson (Coronation Street), Joanna Cassidy (Body of Proof), Jon Fletcher (The Messengers), Brianna Brown (Devious Maids), James Marsters (Angel), and LeVar Burton (Star Trek: TNG).

Andrea Navedo (Jane the Virgin) will return as U.S. Marshal Maria Shipp.

Beth Riesgraf directed two of the upcoming episodes: “The Bucket Job” seen in the preview, guest-starring LeVa Burton, and “The Great Train Job,” which involves a crooked green energy innovator and an old-fashioned train heist.

leverage-redemption-eliot-harry.jpg?resi

Leverage-Redemption-4.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&

Episode Nine - The Bucket Job

The Leverage team’s Holiday good deed goes awry when their attempt to give a small-town librarian the spy-thriller adventure of a lifetime is interrupted by a shadowy spy organization.

Episode Ten - The Unwellness Job

The Leverage team sets out to discredit a lifestyle and wellness guru targeting desperate people and peddling snake oil instead of actual medicine.

Episode Eleven - The Jackal Job

The Leverage team explores the failing memory of a legendary grifter to try and find her greatest score before her abusive Elder Guardian gets his hands on it and takes over her life.

Episode Twelve - The Golf Job

An old friend visits, sparking a self-doubting Harry to uncover an unlikely client on the links at his exclusive golf club.

Episode Thirteen - The Hurricane Job

Stuck together during a massive hurricane, Eliot and Parker must stop a band of corrupt cops who have taken over a small hotel, and find what the cops are searching for, before it’s too late.

Episode Fourteen - The Great Train Job

Two local farmers are targeted by a hate group, but something more poisonous on the farm leads Team Leverage to a crooked green energy innovator and an old-fashioned Train Heist.

Episode Fifteen - The Muddy Waters Job

The Leverage team infiltrates an oil rig and a small-town trial to find evidence that a corrupt oil CEO is hiding a dangerous oil leak in the gulf, causing illnesses along the spill zone.

Episode Sixteen - The Harry Wilson Job

The team has to infiltrate the shadowy R.I.Z. to stop it from unleashing a worm that can take down the entire electrical grid, and they must use Harry to do it.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I can't wait for Leverage Redemption. Hurley's back! I wonder if he and Peggy are still together. I hope so. 

6 hours ago, Claire85 said:

Hurley! I liked him first time around. I hope he’s still sober. 

Except for tacos. There's nothing wrong with a taco addiction.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Llywela said:

In the trailer he just calls himself a tax lawyer 😄

In the ad above, they are naming the others: Grifter, hacker, theif... And they give a title to him.  Just not sure what it is.  Might be haggler, but... Really?

just watched it again.  Sorry, I think you're right. Thanks for the clarification!

Edited by Johann
  • Love 1

They REALLY have to give the new guy a better title than "Tax Lawyer".  Yeah, I'm sure it sends shivers down some people's spines (or maybe it would if he were "IRS Tax Audit Guy"), but, it doesn't really fit in here.  Find him a niche, please.

• LOL 1

Gah. Imdb Tv has just in the last couple of weeks rolled out at last to the UK, available via Amazon Prime, which I have, so I thought my luck was in...

Leverage: Redemption won't land here for another two weeks!

(I might have to hit up my very useful and wonderful anonymous source for Part II  in the meantime...)

Edited by Llywela

My guess based on nothing more than pure speculation is that the next season will feature Harry Wilson. He will try to help clients at his new law practice, but there may be some cases he refers to the Leverage team. I could also see Team Leverage calling on him for his business/legal skills. Someone can hack into the records and bring up the financial documents, but Harry Wilson can explain why certain transactions/accounts/structure are important and what thier greater significance is. 

Since there was a time gap between when the original series ended and when the new season started, they could have Nate stay dead in the current timeline, but bring him back if they want a flashback of what happened between the end of the original show and the start of the new show. 

Timothy Hutton Sues Leverage Producers for Cutting Him From Revival

Timothy Hutton has filed suit against Leverage producer Electric Entertainment, alleging that they breached his contract by dropping him from IMDb TV’s Leverage: Redemption sequel series while he took legal action against a sexual assault allegation.

Per our sister site Variety, Hutton’s suit claims that Electric Entertainment, of which Leverage executive producer Dean Devlin is CEO, did not independently investigate Johnston’s allegation and also ignored evidence that Hutton’s representatives had presented, challenging the claim.

The suit claims that an “oral agreement” had been made regarding Hutton’s involvement in Redemption, and that his contract did not include a morals clause.

• Useful 6

The Deadline write-up on Hutton's lawsuit includes a link to the complaint (in PDF format*).  The suit is to be filed in California state court, specifically the Los Angeles Superior Court.  The lawsuit claims damages of at least $3.1 million

Regarding the series itself, there's a section that discusses Hutton's expected compensation package in detail (paragraph 26) and the salaries of the returning regulars (paragraph 21), both quoted below.  Also noteworthy are IMDb's original demands for Hutton.  According to the complaint, IMDb originally wanted Hutton for a minimum of five seasons (first plus four additional seasons), before they would commit to the series.  In the end, they compromised at three additional seasons.

21. During the negotiations, Hutton requested that he be paid at least the same episodic fees as on the last season of Leverage in 2012. Although it is standard in the industry for stars to ask for and receive substantial increases in compensation for a series reboot, and although most of the other returning cast members were doubling their previous salaries, Hutton's request upset Devlin. Devlin even threatened to take away Hutton's directing and executive producing roles if Hutton did not accept a lower fee than his last season on the original series. Hutton, in turn threatened to walk away from the deal altogether. Ultimately, however, the parties agreed to Hutton's requested episodic fees, much to Devlin's chagrin.

I'm quoting the below compensation terms because it's not often that this level of detail is made public.  Based on the "Guarantee" bullet point, it sounds as if we should expect a minimum of ten episodes for the second and any later seasons, absent any significant developments.

26.  Later that week, on February 14, 2020. the parties orally finalized the deal and agreed to the following material terms, which is to say, all of the material terms in an actor agreement:

• Seasons/Options:  First season guaranteed, pay-or-play on close of deal and receiving clearance from Universal that it would release Hutton from his obligations to the series Almost Family; three consecutive, dependent options for up to three additional seasons.
  • Fee: $175,000 per episode (allocated $160,000 per episode for acting and $15,000 per episode for executive producing).
  • Guarantee: All episodes produced ("AEP"), minimum of 13 episodes for the first season; minimum of 10 episodes for subsequent seasons.
  • Directing: At least one episode per season in which he is also engaged to act.
  • MAGR: 2.5% of 100% of MAGR; definition no less favorable than any other non-financing participant.
  • Credit:  
    • Performer: First position, single card, main/opening titles grouped with and in no less favorable size to all other cast.
    • Executive Producer: EP credit on a single card, main/opening titles grouped with and in a no less favorable size to all other EPs.
    • Paid ads credit on paid ads taken out by Electric.
  • Trailer: Half of a double, with customary first-class amenities, no less favorable than any other cast.
  • Temporary/Publicity Travel:  First-class, roundtrip flight, first-class hotel accommodations; exclusive ground transportation to/from all airports, accommodations, and sets; non-accountable $60 per diem, all no less favorable than any other cast.
  • Relocation: Each season, $4,000 per month (if New Orleans) or $5,000 per month (if Los Angeles), prorated for partial months; three first-class roundtrip flights (if used), exclusive (shared with above the line only) ground transportation to/from airports and a full-sized rental car; relocation package no less favorable than any other cast member; approval over any relocation outside of New York, Los Angeles, or New Orleans.
  • Exclusivity: Only for TV performing services during productions periods, otherwise non-exclusive provided no third-party services materially interfere.
  • Perq Fund: $300,000 per season, payable prior to the start of principal photography provided that if Hutton elects to have Electric engage an assistant for Hutton or upgrade his trailer to a single star trailer, such costs will be deducted from the perq fund and Hutton must make his election prior to the start of principal photography.

("Perq Fund" should probably be spelled "Perk Fund".)

*The quoted paragraphs may have some typos, as I had to use OCR on the PDF file, as the document's pages had been converted to images, most likely when Deadline added their watermark.

Edited by Just Here
thanks Prevailing Wind!
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Depressing news from the Predator and Prey thread here:

17 hours ago, Just Here said:

The Portland Mercury (alternative bi-weekly newspaper in Portland, Oregon) published a long article today (March 1st) about sexual harassment incidents involving the Portland-based productions of Leverage and The Librarians.

Link to post that summarizes the article:

Small update on Hutton's case:  After my post above, Variety posted the filed version of the complaint (direct link to the PDF).  (hat tip to @Ailianna)

This version has selectable text and no watermarks behind the text, so it should be more accessible. The case number is 22SMCV00260.  The status of the case can be tracked using the Los Angeles Superior Court website (https://www.lacourt.org/casesummary/ui/index.aspx).  There should be a response from the production company by early April.

• Love 1

Also noteworthy are IMDb's original demands for Hutton.  According to the complaint, IMDb originally wanted Hutton for a minimum of five seasons (first plus four additional seasons), before they would commit to the series.  In the end, they compromised at three additional seasons.

Interesting to know that imdb had so much faith in the potential of the show (when we've been hanging on to see if they would get more than one season) but with the allegations implying that the problems are baked into the cast and crew and the culture of the show, I don't know where they go from here. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Interesting to know that imdb had so much faith in the potential of the show (when we've been hanging on to see if they would get more than one season) but with the allegations implying that the problems are baked into the cast and crew and the culture of the show, I don't know where they go from here. 

I don't either. Damn, Leverage and Leverage Redemption is my favorite show.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, akg said:

Depressing news from the Predator and Prey thread here:

Link to post that summarizes the article:

me, following this whole saga: "this can't get worse, right?"

*things get WAY worse*

i'm extremely bummed. this show was my entry point into fandom, a great source of joy since my teenage years, and i can't believe it's becoming this raging dumpster fire.

that said, if all of this is true, then all the perpetrators and their enablers can go to hell.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, agentp said:

me, following this whole saga: "this can't get worse, right?"

*things get WAY worse*

i'm extremely bummed. this show was my entry point into fandom, a great source of joy since my teenage years, and i can't believe it's becoming this raging dumpster fire.

that said, if all of this is true, then all the perpetrators and their enablers can go to hell.

I know, right. I mean, I'm older, I've been in fandom for a really long time, since way before Leverage, but this has been my comfort show for so very long, the one I go back to again and again just to sit back and relax and have fun. The cast always came across as so close and so happy, it's depressing as hell to think it was toxic behind the scenes after all. 😞

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Llywela said:

The cast always came across as so close and so happy, it's depressing as hell to think it was toxic behind the scenes after all. 😞

I think it can be both at the same time, unfortunately.  A person's character is often revealed by their treatment of underlings, while all might be fine with colleagues. 

• Love 8
(edited)
28 minutes ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I'm kind of surprised that no other media company has picked this story up. 

Perhaps they're checking it for truth before they publish stuff that'll wreck careers. (See the Hutton/Canadian case.)

If you google either Hutton or Kane, you get lots of news about Hutton suing Devlin, et al. and stuff about "Almost Paradise" being renewed...but NOTHING of these allegations.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

stuff about "Almost Paradise" being renewed

Aw, normally I'd be excited about this.

As disappointed as I am in the actors in all this, the fact that Leverage and the Librarians are John Rogers shows makes me particularly sad. He's always come across as a great guy who cares about his people and the viewers. Letting this sort of thing happen under his watch is completely against his public image. Which is true of many but something about how open and chatty Rogers has been means it hits harder.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, akg said:

Aw, normally I'd be excited about this.

As disappointed as I am in the actors in all this, the fact that Leverage and the Librarians are John Rogers shows makes me particularly sad. He's always come across as a great guy who cares about his people and the viewers. Letting this sort of thing happen under his watch is completely against his public image. Which is true of many but something about how open and chatty Rogers has been means it hits harder.

But your disappointment may be premature. These allegations have not been proven. They may turn out like the Canadian debacle with Hutton - a lot of noise over lies.  Or in this case, some minor noise... Nobody else is reporting this. Don't you think if there were a hint of truth to it, TMZ would be all over it?

• Love 2

Well, I like this. The first two episodes and then an immediate re-run of the first two episodes of L:R and now they're showing Leverage 1.1, where Dubenich is convincing Nate to steal the airplane plans.

Thank goodness we get to see Leverage instead of endless reruns of SVU.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Leverage: Redemption is back baby!

leverage-season-2-poster.pngSeason 2 sneaks its way onto Amazon Freevee on Wednesday, Nov. 16, streaming the  first three episodes of this 13 episode season, with new episodes released weekly.  

In Season 2, the Leverage team’s skills are put to the test by everything from a husband-and-wife team running a multi-level marketing scam and a shipping magnate dumping boatloads of plastic waste, to a music producer who abuses his position over vulnerable women.

Aldis Hodge as Alec Hardison is still way too busy to appear on the show full time.

Season 2’s guest stars include Pierson Fodé, Alanna Masterson, Anand Desai-Barochia, Steve Coulter and Doug Savant.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7