Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Chapter Three

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Domestic Assassin said:

There is a diploma hanging above his dresser in the pilot, but I can't see any of the details (the only words I can make out are "Los Angeles" and "Diploma"). It could just be a high school diploma.

Yes, that's what I thought someone referred to in a previous episode.  Or maybe he will apprentice to take the bar.  We will have to wait and see.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/6/2020 at 6:40 PM, Netfoot said:

It's been 14 years since the Great War. Perry has had plenty of time to have already gone to law school. There are people who have gone to law school who choose not to practice for one reason or another. Right?

Good point. Assuming Perry is the same age as Matthew Rhys he could have become a lawyer before the war. It used to take a lot less time to become a lawyer.  

Perry Mason’s creator, Erle Stanley Gardner, is a pretty good example for what was possible. He would have been a little younger than Perry in 1932. He graduated high school at 20 and passed the Bar at 22.

Either way it would explain Perry’s relationship with EB. 

Edited by Guest
16 hours ago, HotSauceAndMoire said:

Did anyone else think that the figures in the illustrated brothel “menu” look disturbingly like children?

I didn’t see. Do you have a screen grab?

On 7/7/2020 at 6:56 AM, Domestic Assassin said:

There is a diploma hanging above his dresser in the pilot, but I can't see any of the details (the only words I can make out are "Los Angeles" and "Diploma"). It could just be a high school diploma.

and if anyone is able to post screenshots, please show the diploma too. 

Quick recap of S01E01 and the only glimpse of the diploma I could find was a partial:

pm-diploma-0.jpg.adcb20f8b6be4e337f4f8d610520ef96.jpg

It's not really possible to make much of this. It's a diploma in his name, but you can't see who issued it or what the fine print says. Is there a better shot of it than this?  I couldn't find it. Not in the 1st episode, anyway.

The "brothel menu" (Heh! Like that idea.) looked like 16th century Japanese Shunga (erotic art), but tamed down somewhat. Can't say I noticed anything particularly childlike in the imagery, but I didn't really look that carefully. I'll see if I can grab a screenshot or two later.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

It's not really possible to make much of this. It's a diploma in his name, but you can't see who issued it or what the fine print says. Is there a better shot of it than this?  I couldn't find it. Not in the 1st episode, anyway.

There is a brief shot where you can see at the top it says "Los Angeles..." something (the rest is cut off).  That doesn't seem like the start of the name of a Law School, but it could be.  I think it's more likely a high school diploma, but you're right it's not really possible to make much of it.

1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

Quick recap of S01E01 and the only glimpse of the diploma I could find was a partial:

pm-diploma-0.jpg.adcb20f8b6be4e337f4f8d610520ef96.jpg

It looks like the props people made an effort to have his name and the word "Diploma" readable, so perhaps this is Chekhov's diploma in that it will at least be mentioned before the end of the last episode.

• Love 1

Here is the picture from the Brothel Book, I will spoiler tag since it might be NSFW or not allowed on the website. I included what the caption says under one of the drawings, enjoy!

Spoiler

244502689_BrothelBook.thumb.jpg.8706c50f5bcf6c124fcc2d4adcb174e0.jpg

EDITH

Brings forth warm, summerlike rainfall from celes-
tial clouds between her legs, giving life to the aged
soil and replenishing all that has wilted with age.
Feel the masculine glories of the soak of the (◼️age?)

NO CUSTOMER WILL BE ALLOWED TO PISS ON EDITH
this play, please see BETTY on page 12.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Three captures from the Brothel Menu. I will follow @AnimeMania and spoiler-tag them.

Spoiler

pm-menu-001.jpg.090952fd245512e302776dbff693087b.jpg

I have rotated the image bring it vertical.

pm-menu-002.thumb.jpg.e4fa52e08804443d48820626eb98fb93.jpg

Also rotated.

In response to @HotSauceAndMoire I will say that I do agree the images look somewhat juvenile. Don't know if this is intentional or the result of limited artistic skills. These figures are not drawn particularly well, after all. The lefthand practitioner in the second photo for instance, is quite unusual in the shape if of the chest. 

Edited by Netfoot
  • Useful 1
On 7/6/2020 at 5:36 PM, Auntie Anxiety said:

A blood cancer (like leukemia) would cause bleeding because you don’t have the platelets to clot blood. But it could also be lung or throat, or stomach cancer. Maybe TB? Wasn’t that what cause of death in Moulin Rouge? Whatever it is, I’ve watched enough tv to know that E.B. will meet his demise sometime this season. Chekhov’s gun.

WRT the seizures, one of my dogs had seizures every so often. Didn’t know exactly when one was going to occur, but a few seconds before one, she’d get a strange look on her face or a strange body movement. It’s like a lightning storm coming on in your brain.

my oldest teenager kid is watching with us. The minute we saw blood, he diagnosed him with TB and is certain it is TB because per him, that happens all the time in movies/tv. Kind of cracked us up because he's very into his tv diagnosis.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I'm late to the show. It started slow for me, which isn't a big deal, but it's been drawing me in as the case has unfolded. I really like Drake (Bunk would say he's good po-lice) so I hope he and Mason get into more plot. 

The war flashbacks don't do much for me but I guess that's why he's walking around in a fog all the time. 

• Love 2
On 7/5/2020 at 11:40 PM, Vella said:

Pete's great comic relief, his freakout over Perry setting his newspaper on fire was too funny.

I loved how everyone in the restaurant gave him the stinkeye every time he said a curse word. What a different time!

A time I can remember, even though I'm only seventy. :)

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I loved how everyone in the restaurant gave him the stinkeye every time he said a curse word. What a different time!

A time I can remember, even though I'm only seventy. :)

Now that only happens when you bring your kids to a fancy restaurant.

On 8/1/2020 at 6:56 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm late to the show. It started slow for me, which isn't a big deal, but it's been drawing me in as the case has unfolded. I really like Drake (Bunk would say he's good po-lice) so I hope he and Mason get into more plot. 

I just binged the show and glad I did (Watched episode 1 when it aired but didn't continue).

I'm reading the episode threads and have to disagree here. Jimmy McNulty is good po-lice but Drake? He is from the school of Cool Lester Smooth Freamon. Drake is natural po-lice 😂

On 7/9/2020 at 10:18 PM, shapeshifter said:

It looks like the props people made an effort to have his name and the word "Diploma" readable, so perhaps this is Chekhov's diploma in that it will at least be mentioned before the end of the last episode.

They said that Perry was a captain in the army. Now most of my knowledge of the US military comes from tv/movies bit aren't officers usually people with university degrees?