Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 6/8/2020

falltime
  • Start Topic

(edited)
48 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

“I did grow up watching ‘Gone With The Wind,’ and I do view it a little differently, and I would like to know what it means for people who are friends of Hattie McDaniel if it’s removed  . . " (Meghan)

Who on this planet believes that Meghan was concerned about the friends of Hattie McDaniel? That was embarrassingly disingenuous.

Her friends are probably dead. Olivia de Havilland is the only cast member still alive and she's over 100 years old.

Edited by Picture It. Sicily
  • LOL 3
  • Love 11
(edited)
5 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

Well now, Meghan, that was a big swing and a miss. Good thing Sunny and even Whoopi were on to your attempts to spin this as a censorship issue. Isn't Megyn K pretty much thoroughly discredited in the news/journalism field? You might want to choose a different mentor.

I loved Sunny calling out that harridan Megyn Kelly who was not content to slither away after getting paid millions over her failed talk shows on NBC and live her life in peaceful obscurity. She is now trying hard to become relevant again. Her pathetic attempts at being nice agreeable and relatable were an epic fail so she has now reverted to type by embracing her pugilistic persona that got her fame on Fox News.. 

It does not surprise me that Messy tried to hitch her wagon to the likes of Megyn Kelly, good luck with that Nutmeg.. Whoopie and Sunny will not let you and her distract from what has been going on for the past two weeks.. Distract, distort and deflect is the mantra of Messy's team..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Her friends are probably dead. Olivia de Havilland is the only cast member still alive and she's over 100 years old.

I was shocked to find out anyone in that movie is still alive. 

I will admit I love me some Scarlett O’Hara, the OG of resting bitch face! I thought the movie was great, but it’s a hard one to rewatch because of its length. I think Vivien Leigh is one of the most beautiful actresses of all time, and it’s hard to take your eyes off her when she’s on screen. Clark Gable is another legend, and the costumes were gorgeous too. I totally get the movie’s appeal.

I’m also an Audrey Hepburn fan, and enjoyed Breakfast at Tiffany’s. I love Old Hollywood except when it comes to how they handled race. I liked that the movies were more family friendly as far as not having all the sex and violence common in today’s movies. I loved the glamour aspect. One of the most moving performances of any actress imho belongs to Juanita Moore in Imitation of Life. She was the fifth black actor to be nominated for an Academy Award of any kind and third black nominee for best supporting actress. 

Although I tend to be on the woke side of things, I’m not someone who goes around picking apart extremely old movies or songs (like Baby It’s Cold Outside). I get that some people may need the historical context, but I agree with Sunny that whether you’re about canceling certain things entirely or want them redone, either way it’s not a dire issue with all that’s going on. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
(edited)

I love Gone With the Wind, one of my favorite live-action films of all time, but it's very disingenuous of McCain to try to spin this into a censorship / "political correctness gone mad!!" topic considering it's only being taken down to add an introduction to provide context like the ones many films have and the film will return. Moreover, it was disgusting of her to try this game of faux outrage at this particular moment in time, but no surprise there. She simply wanted a counter story to the George Floyd and Black Lives Matter protests. So gross.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 19
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Didn't like Scarlett or what's his name!!

"What's his name" is right...in my family.   My parents got married in 1938. "Gone With the Wind," the novel came out in 1936.  The movie in 1939.  My father was "Red Butler.  My mother's mother (grandmother) thought THAT was the name of the character in GWTW--instead of RHETT Butler.

• LOL 14
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

But she’s too kind and polite to throw her brains into everyone’s face and completely embarrass her cohosts.

I'm not so sure she's "too" kind and polite.  I agree that she does have those qualities, but she seems DESPERATE to be in showbiz...to be an "A" list celebrity, so....      She knows what's she's doing and has a plan.  That little upstart is not going to derail her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

it's very disingenuous of McCain to try to spin this into a censorship / "political correctness gone mad!!" topic considering it's only being taken down to add an introduction to provide context like the ones many films have and the film will return.

And it's just HBO Max.  It's not like people can't stream, rent, or buy it from another source.  

I'm sure Meghan's scouring Twitter tonight to see what new inconsequential outrage she can pitch for tomorrow's show.    

• LOL 12
  • Love 4

I knew meghan would call it censorship,  when that's not at all the issue. HBO can take a movie off their list for any reason at all. If a government agency forced them to take it down, that would be censorship. 

• Love 14
(edited)

GWTW is a history book. You won't admire or sympathize with people dedicated to national and personal lost causes but after reading it you understand how and why it went down.

"The Cause" was about so much more than slavery. GWTW can be compared to the bodice ripper "historical romance" novels in the '70s and '80s that tucked a lot of historical perspective and information among highlights such as "the glory of his manhood filled the room." LOL

As for the oft-cited marital rape scene in GWTW, in context it portrays a particular era in a culture when females were conditioned to deny their sexuality and were rewarded for that behavior. (And it still goes on all over the world today, often without a reward).

Husbands and wives didn't discuss what happened between the sheets even if the desire was overtly mutual, and it rarely was. With mistresses and whores, yes; with wives, no. (I'm not co-signing the concept, just recounting it).  

Scarlett resisted because she was expected to resist (and was not allowed to admit her desire); Rhett plowed through her hesitation and therefore absolved her of guilt. Quasi-rape Fantasy 101.

They were incapable of communicating in a clear and open manner; the women in his sexual history admitted wanting him as much as he wanted them. He hated himself for that interlude with Scarlett, which confused her because she found it pleasurable. It was her first pleasurable sexual encounter. 

Quasi-rape fantasies are very common and absolutely cannot, in any way, be compared to rape. (I hope I made that clear. I tried to). 

My however-many greats grandmother lived near Atlanta and survived Sherman's March. She was a dirt poor third-generation widowed seamstress. Three generations of widows who never re-married and stitched their eyeballs out until they keeled over. I read the book for the first time during the summer of my 16th birthday and read it again for my next 15 birthdays. 16 for 16, and then I was done. The book is so much better than the movie, although I adore Vivian and Clark. If I could be a fictional character I would be Melanie Hamilton Wilkes. 

Meghan never passes up an opportunity to misstate and misinterpret concepts that are practically self-explanatory. I just can't with her and her shit-stirring. By the sixth week of life an infant's brain is pruning some of the pathways it has learned to make room for the heavy traffic, the complex concepts, to come. Good luck with that, Meghan. I hope your baby isn't stuck overly long in scowl mode. 

Edited by suomi
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I loved Sunny calling out that harridan Megyn Kelly who was not content to slither away after getting paid millions over her failed talk shows on NBC

Remember that Megyn Kelly was booted from her talk show because she said on air that she didn't see anything wrong with wearing blackface.  And would never back down.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

Meghan said that we need to be careful when we throw out certain jargon or titles, but she has no problem calling Ilhan and Rashida antisemitic all the time.....I don't get it.

Nutmeg is a total hypocrite, "Do as I say, not as I do" moron who doesn't remember or probably doesn't freakin care that she said the opposite previously.

I just cannot with this idiot anymore.

I can't watch because she puts me in a bad mood, and with everything else going on now, that's the last thing I need added to my day.

Thank you TwoP, FB, and Twitter posters for calling her out on her crap even if ABC or her cohosts won't. 

Whoopi should have her EGOTs recalled for subjecting us to this mindless harridan.

• Love 14

Didn't Meghan just say "I am completely shocked that the Confederate flag is being flown at Nascar", I'm taking that as meaning she does not watch Nascar, because, if she did, she would been aware that this happens. Then, seconds later, Whoopi later is asking  Sunny, about the black Nascar driver, who is driving the BLM car, and MM interrupts saying "He's a great drive, too".  WTH?  And is it just me, or is her Valley Girl, sing song answers getting to anyone else?

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Meg just tried a gotcha on Stacey Abrams who easily disarmed her with facts. Oh, those pesky facts!

Does she ever get tired of being owned so badly every time she tries this? 

• LOL 5
  • Love 11

As someone whose home country routinely gets bombed by the States, can I just say "Meghan, shut up!" when it came to her authoritarian question. The US isn't as great as she thinks it is and it has a horrible history when it comes to its own people and people abroad.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, ABitOFluff said:

Does she ever get tired of being owned so badly every time she tries this? 

Would have loved to have had a split-screen in that moment 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Eh? TWoP died six (sob!😭stillnotoverit😭sob!) years ago.

I knew that when I typed it, but was so intent on my message that I didn't bother to self-correct to Primetimer.

I was so happy to find TwoP all those years ago and enjoy the wit and intelligence and critical analysis of great posters like you GHScorpiosrule.

Oh, BTW, STFU MegaphonyBaloney.

• Love 10
(edited)

I watch a lot of cable news, both MSNBC and CNN, and this is the first time I'm hearing of the "Battle of Seattle".  

Interesting - the other day when Joy started to say something while Meghan was talking, Meghan said 'yeah, I hear you Joy' and kept on talking.  Today Whoopie says something while Meghan's talking, and Meghan stops cold and says "excuse me....sorry?" and waits for Whoopie to respond.  I think she's clearly trying to stay on Whoopie's good side in case she has any say-so about Meghan's future.  (Which might be the reason why she said Whoopie was kind for suggesting an army base be named after her father, and didn't remind Whoopie that her father was in the navy.  Of course it's good manners not to correct her, but that's not Meghan's first instinct.)

"The five of us are shocked to hear about this"?  Whoopie's brain is confused today.          

Whoopie says, "Meghan, you were about to say something" and Meghan had a look on her face like 'What?  Who...me?'

"Case by case basis"?  So there are some bases that are named after good confederate generals, then?

"Murderistic"?  I actually had to look it up, and it is a word (it's the name of a 1942 song, and also a slang term, that doesn't fit at all in describing Ertogan.

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 5
On 6/9/2020 at 3:50 PM, RealHousewife said:

I wonder if Meghan regrets some of the stuff she's said in the past and is too prideful to admit it or if she just doesn't want to deal with the wrath of the media if she were to be more about the flag than black lives. She said once the worst thing you could call her is a racist, but for so long she seemed to care more about scoring points with her party.

On 6/10/2020 at 8:08 AM, blondiec0332 said:

She has painted herself into a corner. If she condemns what is going on she will be an outcast in her own party (but honestly her party doesn't like her anyways). If she speaks out against what is happening she gets demolished on Twitter.   I think she thought she could  coast by in life by simply being a famous daughter.  She doesn't have the strength or character to form her own identity and beliefs.  Any time she does pick a side and it gets too hot she tries to walk it back.  And then she gets heat for that and she waffles again.  So now she just says a whole bunch of nothing. 

I think Meghan's pregnancy may be the reason why she's not discussing certain topics the way we expect her to. She's said she's trying to be positive and whatnot, so I wonder if she's worried that if there's a topic that she may not agree with instead of voicing her true thoughts, she's keeping them on lock down so her anger or stress doesn't affect the baby.

• LOL 2
6 minutes ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

I think Meghan's pregnancy may be the reason why she's not discussing certain topics the way we expect her to. She's said she's trying to be positive and whatnot, so I wonder if she's worried that if there's a topic that she may not agree with instead of voicing her true thoughts, she's keeping them on lock down so her anger or stress doesn't affect the baby.

You give her way too much credit.  If anyone is making Meghan angry and stressed out it's Meghan.  She is not suffering. Yeah it sucks not being able to go and do things that you want to do but even in quarantine her life is a lot cushier than most people's.

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

You give her way too much credit.  If anyone is making Meghan angry and stressed out it's Meghan.  She is not suffering. Yeah it sucks not being able to go and do things that you want to do but even in quarantine her life is a lot cushier than most people's.

But, you don’t understand!  She can’t buy a crib!  I don’t know why, but, she can’t!

• LOL 18
7 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I'm not saying that her pregnancy made her a better person, but that the pregnancy made her worried that if she says what she really thinks then the stress will affect her and her baby. I've never been pregnant, but I feel like I've heard that you should try not to avoid stressful situations and not react negatively to them. With many couples that I've seen, they get overly worked up during their first child so it wouldn't surprise me if Meghan has been reading a lot of pregnancy books and is trying to remain calm for her baby's sake.

• LOL 1
8 hours ago, suomi said:

Scarlett resisted because she was expected to resist (and was not allowed to admit her desire); Rhett plowed through her hesitation and therefore absolved her of guilt. Quasi-rape Fantasy 101.

I doubt her fantasy involved a roaring drunk stinking of alcohol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

Meghan should have one of the high-end baby stores open just for her & Ben to look at cribs, etc., and have one delivered to their door.  Or hire a personal shopper.  That's how other heiresses handle this "hardship".

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7
(edited)
28 minutes ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

So, why didn't Megaphony start positivity when she found out she was pregnant months ago early on especially when fetus is forming?

Nahhhh. I'm not buying it. She never cared before and lauds herself frequently a strong woman as an excuse for poor manners and lack of preparation. 

Nutmeg didn't do her homework,  yet again.  Unprepared, not prepared, hubbie not fast enough holding up cue cards,  illegible blue cards, interrupted by cohost and unable to complete her comment????

Righttttttt. 

Unprepared and unprofessional to the max.  

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

I'm not saying that her pregnancy made her a better person, but that the pregnancy made her worried that if she says what she really thinks then the stress will affect her and her baby

I didn't misunderstand what you said. Meghan is still getting upset about things.  I'm not saying she doesn't have legitimate reasons for being stressed out but a lot of it is self inflicted.  Her continuing to be upset about a crib is a case in point.  We are all living in the same upended world and we all have to make adjustments.  At times like this we need to be thankful for what we have and not bitch about what we don't.

• Love 8

MM also likes to give opinions on things nobody is asking for, like campaign advice for both sides, from someone who was kicked off the campaign trail when MyFather was running.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

And she is trying to stay right in the middle, not pissing off either side.

If you don't have the conviction to stand up for your beliefs then  you stand for nothing.  Meghan is the living embodiment of this.  She is worried about blow back from both sides so she just says a whole bunch of nothing. I do wonder what her stance on these things would be if her dad was still alive.

11 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Meghan is trying to choose her words carefully because she doesn't want to end up on the losing side of the coming election. 

This is it exactly. She doesn't want to be a loser. If Trump wins she wants to be able to say I told you so and if Trump loses she wants to be able to say I told you so.  She didn't think there would be a blue wave in 2018 and there was and she downplayed it. It will be hard to downplay Trump winning or losing.   If Meghan predicts one way or the other she will be stuck with her prediction. She won't be able to spin it.

• Love 7
(edited)

Maybe Meghan got a late start reading those pregnancy books.  After all, it was only last week that they only had their first long break this year, and reading and posting to Twitter and Instagram takes up a lot of time, so it's only now, 6 months in, that she's found out she should avoid unnecessary stress. /s 

1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

And she is trying to stay right in the middle, not pissing off either side.

This is my take, too.  Sitting on that fence is going to start hurting after a while.

I wonder if this is related to her being so solicitous of Whoopie lately.  She has to know that one of the big reasons Nicolle lost her spot on the show was because tptb wanted someone who clearly represented the other side of the aisle, and Nicolle wasn't at all in sync with the direction her party was moving in, so she didn't do that; she didn't provide "sparks". 

Could it be that Meghan's afraid they're going to start feeling that way about her as she (seemingly) starts to moderate her views?  Her father asked Whoopie to look out for her, and it looks like Meghan's doing everything in her power to make sure Whoopie keeps that promise. 

Edited by lusinia
  • Love 8
32 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

The chaos and confusion are evident with her. She has been reluctant to offer a real opinion on an issue she is asked about, worried about how that opinion will hold up.  Example - her stance on "peaceful protests."  As a lot of people are dialing back their previous opinions on kneeling during the anthem, she has not, and will not.  she will just give lip service to the idea, but not examine her previous stance.  She can't handle nuance, everything is black or white, right or left. I think that is the issue, not her worry about stress during pregnancy.

Another example is today when asked about Confederate flags/bases named for Conf generals, instead of giving an opinion she talked about how good it was to talk about the issue... without actually talking about it. I have a feeling she didn’t want to get into what she really thought. 

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I have a feeling she didn’t want to get into what she really thought. 

But does she even know what she really thinks?  Or does someone have to write it on a blue card for her?

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, tinkerbell said:

Meghan is trying to choose her words carefully because she doesn't want to end up on the losing side of the coming election.  She sees all issues as dichotomies, there are only two sides, for or against.  And she is trying to stay right in the middle, not pissing off either side. She started out as a trump supporter, saw her role on the show as presenting the "middle America, rustbelt, conservative MAGA hat wearing trump supporter" point of view.  But lately those people she's trying to represent are looking more like racist, ignorant folks who are objecting to wearing masks during a pandemic but don't want others to object to racial injustice. 

The chaos and confusion are evident with her. She has been reluctant to offer a real opinion on an issue she is asked about, worried about how that opinion will hold up.  Example - her stance on "peaceful protests."  As a lot of people are dialing back their previous opinions on kneeling during the anthem, she has not, and will not.  she will just give lip service to the idea, but not examine her previous stance.  She can't handle nuance, everything is black or white, right or left. I think that is the issue, not her worry about stress during pregnancy.

Perhaps, but I think Meghan is simpler in that she's trying to bring in positivity now by not voicing her real thoughts and getting softball questions because she's the first person to get pregnant and doesn't want to be stressed right now.

35 minutes ago, lusinia said:

Maybe Meghan got a late start reading those pregnancy books.  After all, it was only last week that they only had their first long break this year, and reading and posting to Twitter and Instagram takes up a lot of time, so it's only now, 6 months in, that she's found out she should avoid unnecessary stress. /s

I just started watching the show live this week after months of not watching, so that's how it's coming off to me thus far. Has she been normal Meghan during the quarantine?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Another example is today when asked about Confederate flags/bases named for Conf generals, instead of giving an opinion she talked about how good it was to talk about the issue... without actually talking about it. I have a feeling she didn’t want to get into what she really thought. 

1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

But does she even know what she really thinks?  Or does someone have to write it on a blue card for her?

Yes, exactly.   Sunny, Joy, and Whoopi talk about issues in terms of what they THINK.  Meghan is stuck, because she has always used what she is SUPPOSED to think.  And right now she doesn't know what that is.  

• Love 10

In this clip from the show, starting at the 2:10 mark, Meghan says she's "proud of our country for having these discussions".  Then she talks about how each host has relatives who served in the military and says "they fought for this moment right now, and I think we should all continue and hear both sides, and I'm not -- I'm not --I'm totally open to these discussions right now, and quite frankly I think we should take it on a case by case basis, and I do agree". 

• LOL 5
4 hours ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

I'm not saying that her pregnancy made her a better person, but that the pregnancy made her worried that if she says what she really thinks then the stress will affect her and her baby. I've never been pregnant, but I feel like I've heard that you should try not to avoid stressful situations and not react negatively to them. With many couples that I've seen, they get overly worked up during their first child so it wouldn't surprise me if Meghan has been reading a lot of pregnancy books and is trying to remain calm for her baby's sake.

Missy???  Books???  LOL!!!  (She might accidentally learn something.)

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I agreed with Joy about the irony of having to be careful with their own statements while the person they’re discussing faces no consequences. Still, I’m glad Whoopi stepped in before McCain got to speak, because just from her facial expressions while Whoopi was getting Joy to clarify, you could tell she was going to try to attack Joy. Naturally she would be more concerned about Joy Behar of The View’s statement than the president of the United States saying the same thing about millions of Americans. Anyway, I loved what Joy and Sunny had to say during Hot Topics today though. Particularly Joy saying Neo-Nazis in Germany use the Confederate flag because the swastika is banned. I honestly didn't know that.

Stacey Abrams is very well-spoken, and fiery, too. She deftly dealt with McCain’s gotcha questions. I remember one of the first times she was on this show, she made absolute mincemeat of Missy. Next to Abrams, McCain seems like a little girl playing dress-up. (And that’s not too inaccurate, actually. LOL)

• Love 17
22 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

Who on this planet believes that Meghan was concerned about the friends of Hattie McDaniel? That was embarrassingly disingenuous.

I just got around to watching Tuesday's episode and Meghan actually said "fans of Hattie McDaniel."

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 6/9/2020 at 2:34 AM, Blissfool said:

Yes. Too giddy and, as she said, "invigorated."   She even attributed the protests to a stay-at-home order. Last week's protests are because of the George Floyd murder, not the quarantine. The quarantine protests were with the fat bearded guys carrying assault rifles and confederate flags about a month ago.

Late here, but I got where Joy was coming from. 

There have been countless murders of black men by police in the last few years.  There was outrage, there were protests, but nothing like what happened with George Floyd's murder.  Because people went back to their lives, work/school/friends/movies etc.

I believe this is different, because of the pandemic.  People have been shut in for months, people are out of work.  All of our distractions are temporarily gone, our lives have been reduced.  When this murder happened everybody was laser focused.  Everybody was watching.  People got angry.  They weren't protesting the quarantine, but the quarantine had a lot to do with the focus of this particular murder. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15