Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Delphi
  • Start Topic

Also, it sounds like his gym doesn't have proper changing facilities.  Is that legal?  

No idea. But I used to go to a barre class that had a bathroom and small lockers for us to put our stuff during class but no real changing area besides the bathroom. Most people came changed and ready for class. I think if it's a boutique fitness class and not like a big corporate gym, changing areas and showers are not as much of a requirement. 

3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

S5E8 I was interested in Marcos' episode because it seemed like a good opportunity for Antoni to show off his restaurant experience.

It was so cute how happy his family was to see the Fab Five. Every once in a while it's nice to see people who are clearly fans of the show.

I feel like this was one of those episodes with a lot of unspoken stuff. Marcos and Jennifer and the rest of the family kind of danced around what the conflict was. Was it curfew? How she was dressing? Who she was hanging out with? Where she wanted to work? Her not wanting to work in the family business? I feel like we got a very vague and sanitized version of what caused the rift.

JVN manages to speak Spanish entirely with an American accent. But it's cute that he tries to make the effort. It was nice to see him give someone a decent haircut. I do think the encouragement to use mousse made it look unnecessarily greasy.

They really skipped over the Tan makeover by just focusing on hats. Did they try on clothes at all or did he just show him all the new clothes at the end?

I didn't love the exposed wood in the restaurant but otherwise, they did a great job of making it look like a trendy space. Pops of color, nice table settings, neon sign, dark walls... It wasn't over the top Insta-friendly but it looked on trend with the current aesthetic for a small eatery. The chairs did not look comfortable but maybe you don't want people to lounge about too long.

That little boy is SO CUTE.

Marcos ended up not liking the black wall and painted it a green I think something with more pop. That's fine, it's his restaurant and he had strong feelings on making it his. I also wondered about his daughter and why she wanted to come back (lack of money or just missing everyone) but they probably didn't want to wash all their dirty laundry on TV. That would not seem right with that family either. I like how he didn't like most of the hats and wondered if they wondered filming, "will we find something?" lol  A friend wrote on his FB or instagram page that he hoped he kept the hat and hoped to eat there soon.

I thought the little boy was squishable too. Adorbs.

Re other shows where people changed things, I remembered a condo they made over and they guy moved in with his boyfriend and sold it. They were shocked they said on a show but hey they staged it well. ; )

• Love 1
(edited)

The opening of Lilly's episode with the guys vocalizing in the cat reminded me of Jonathan explaining Sister Acts to Abby. I forgot to comment on it after that episode, but I was laughing so hard during it. Jonathan was so into it (as I would frankly be as well) and Abby just wasn't getting the appeal but she was so good natured about it. 

Back to Lilly, it's not that Jonathan gave her a bad do, it's more that her hair is so gorgeous that this felt like a downgrade. Seriously, how do I get it onto my head? 

She was really terrific with her patient at the end, I loved it. And Jon seems like such a good egg, no ego, martyrdom or need for pats on the back. It's simply his family needed this of him, so of course he did it. 

Oh, and thank you, Bobby, for the comment about the thread count. I'm not from the US and I've only ever heard of it from American made media content. 

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

No idea. But I used to go to a barre class that had a bathroom and small lockers for us to put our stuff during class but no real changing area besides the bathroom. Most people came changed and ready for class. I think if it's a boutique fitness class and not like a big corporate gym, changing areas and showers are not as much of a requirement. 

Maybe I was just bothered by the fact they used his apartment bathroom to change (it’s kind of an invasion of privacy).  Come to think of it, the barre studio I once went to was like yours too.  But it did have showers.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I’ve been to a ton of boutique fitness classes that don’t have showers. My gym has a full locker room (it has a pool so it would be weird if it didn’t) but I’ve taken lots of boutique classes in places with no locker room. Cubbies or lockers for your stuff but no locker room with showers. You come dressed or if you can’t, like you just came from work, you change in the bathroom (sink & toilet only).

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Maybe I was just bothered by the fact they used his apartment bathroom to change (it’s kind of an invasion of privacy).  Come to think of it, the barre studio I once went to was like yours too.  But it did have showers.  

Yeah, that's the part that stood out to me. Like, you need to pee and you have to go through the guys private kitchen to go to his private bathroom. And they both looked the way they did. But he has to be a great trainer and all around decent guy since he had the same customer for over a decade. That's tremendous loyalty. And both the women very clearly loved him. 

I feel like this episode upended my expectations because I found it to be the funniest in a while and it didn't feel like it would go that way to me. 

He wears the same ratty gym clothes every day. - Oh, good. I was hoping you would say that. - Don't stress. Just tuck the front of his shirt in. 

You're not supposed to sit like that in a skirt. I'm just saying. 

I. was. rolling. 

Someone mentioned the way they tinted his hairline. I felt it look a whole lot better by the time they showed him in the gym, so I imagine it needs to settle or something. 

I would so not still be around if I was his in his ex-girlfriend's shoes. He dumped her a year or two ago (can't remember which) to work on himself and then proceeded to do nothing. I do think it was all caused by some issues, both the dumping and the lack of action afterwards, I just don't know that I'd be able to process it like she has. 

JVN's hair looked gorgeous in his segments talking to the camera. Best in a long while. 

I really haven't been missing Karamo's overreaching metaphors AT ALL. This one was just like a guy he had stacking boxes in an old season. Who was that? What was the "message" in that one? Can anyone remember? 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, aradia22 said:

when Tan gave him the glasses... so handsome.

Was there something on screen that I missed pointing to him needing glasses? Beacuse that was a surprise and at first I thought Tan was giving them to him as solely and accessory.

And unrekatedmto this, the murals in the neighborhood were wonderful. 

I thought the haircut Jonathan gave Abby the Activist was cute, but she kept having to push her hair out of her face. I imagine she's going to get tired of that very quickly, and it isn't long enough anymore for her to pull back so she's going to be tucking it behind her ears a lot.

[Pastor Noah] reminded me of Robin Williams.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

Rahanna: I knew they were going to give her a new mobile grooming operation. It seemed a little small (like she had to crouch a little) but was obviously an improvement on the old RV.

I wondered about that too, but there was a shot of her getting into it and looking around and she didn't have to stoop over, so it appeared to be tall enough for her. 

I think DJ Ryan's bedroom is just going to wind up a giant mess again pretty quickly. You can come in and clean up someone's house but it won't cure them from being a slob.

I worry that someone is going to break into Tyreek's house and steal all his swag after seeing it on TV. I noticed they replaced that back door with one that didn't have a window, which was a smart move.

Does anybody else think Antoni looks drawn and a bit haggard, with a kind of darkness around the eyes this season?

I've always noticed the darkness surrounding his eyes. I wonder if he's using some kind of eye shadow to purposely create that effect.

The decor in the house was very beige and gray again but Jennifer seems to like that in home decor. 

I wondered where they put the TV. It used to be sitting where they put the bar.

I love Antoni but I kind of wish that in a future iteration of Queer Eye, that the food person would be a nutritionist. 

Yeah, Ted's segment in the OG series made more sense because there was always some sort of event they were prepping for. They tend to use Antoni's segment as a subtle therapy session that happens during the cooking. 

The final tip of the episode was gross. Don't freeze your jeans. Just wash them.

I know, right? I mean I guess there are people who don't want to wash their jeans because they fit better or they don't want them to fade, or whatever. Still . . . gross.

• Love 1

I just finished Tyreek’s episode. I loved him and was so happy that he’s built a sense of “home” and “family” out of all the obstacles he’s lived through.  I am so worried about how he’s making it through the recession and unrest, considering he himself was worried about having a security net in the face of a future setback. Has anyone seen any update on how he is doing? 

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, PRgal said:

I might have misunderstood but I got the impression the bathroom in question was downstairs, and it had the one shower. So rather than the customers using his apartment bathroom, the situation was that he uses the gym bathroom because there isn't a second bathroom just for the apartment - because the apartment isn't really an apartment, it's supposed to be the office space for the gym, but he's living in it out of necessity.

12 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I just finished Tyreek’s episode. I loved him and was so happy that he’s built a sense of “home” and “family” out of all the obstacles he’s lived through.  I am so worried about how he’s making it through the recession and unrest, considering he himself was worried about having a security net in the face of a future setback. Has anyone seen any update on how he is doing? 

This tells a little

https://www.thecinemaholic.com/tyreek-wanamaker/

8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I’m watching the gym owner now. Macy Gray is his sister?!

Yes, I just read that yesterday. First celebrity connection I think.

https://screenrant.com/queer-eye-macy-gray-brother-nate-mcintyre-season/

• Love 3

Just watched the pediatrician episode. First of all, was she really planning to start her first job wearing a giant Shih-Tzu top knot? And how is this practice going to react when they find out their new hire is leaving on maternity in less than a year? 

Also, she was really talking down to that kid she was examining. He looked like he was about 12 and she was talking to him like he was five. I hope that was all a put-on for the cameras. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Just watched the pediatrician episode. First of all, was she really planning to start her first job wearing a giant Shih-Tzu top knot? And how is this practice going to react when they find out their new hire is leaving on maternity in less than a year? 

Also, she was really talking down to that kid she was examining. He looked like he was about 12 and she was talking to him like he was five. I hope that was all a put-on for the cameras. 

Maybe she wanted make kids more comfortable with her (re Shih-Tzu top)

Doubt the practice is going to be amused, but it looks like a clinic, with both regular patients and walk-ins (my son goes to one of those), so there's always going to be someone there.  

On 6/6/2020 at 6:18 PM, Valerie said:

I completely skipped the episode with the super young girl with anxiety and veganism, bc she's basically tumblr personified and tumblr is so 2018. And she was annoying  

I have never FFed through an episode of Queer Eye until this one. I appreciate that this girl is trying to do something with her privilege, but I found her story uncompelling and boring. Please, whoever chooses the recipients of the makeovers, stick with the formula of finding people who need a break in life, who need an extra boost to overcome obstacles, because this story was not inspiring at all. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Maybe she wanted make kids more comfortable with her (re Shih-Tzu top)

Doubt the practice is going to be amused, but it looks like a clinic, with both regular patients and walk-ins (my son goes to one of those), so there's always going to be someone there.  

She seems happy in the pics from work (from what you can tell with that) https://www.thecinemaholic.com/lilly-yi-queer-eye/

My pediatrician had a women doctor who was always part time, 3 kids but she wanted it that way. Maybe this doctor can be flexible at times.

• Love 2

The gym owner was the least interesting one to me. He just didn't have much personality IMO. And, once again - I predict his upstairs living space will devolve into a mess again within weeks. Sometimes it's a case of OCD and sometimes people are just plain slobs, but cleaning up someone's living space doesn't mean they'll keep it that way. Maybe one of the Fab 5 should be in charge of teaching their make-overs how to pick up after themselves. Do they really think a guy whose refrigerator is stuffed with moldy food is going to start stocking it with healthy and fresh things just because someone did it for him once?

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The gym owner was the least interesting one to me. He just didn't have much personality IMO. And, once again - I predict his upstairs living space will devolve into a mess again within weeks. Sometimes it's a case of OCD and sometimes people are just plain slobs, but cleaning up someone's living space doesn't mean they'll keep it that way. Maybe one of the Fab 5 should be in charge of teaching their make-overs how to pick up after themselves. Do they really think a guy whose refrigerator is stuffed with moldy food is going to start stocking it with healthy and fresh things just because someone did it for him once?

I agree to a point, someone like Kenny (the great guy who adopted a dog) knew he'd probably slip a bit but I think he'd keep it mostly up. Many wont. Some change what Bobby or others did or never do their hair that way again but hopefully take other things with them.  They gym guy is probably used to living like that and his ex girlfriend didn't seem to care (or they made it worse for the show)  I think Jonathan's teacher probably kept hers up since she looked so much better. I heard she was retiring and this was a recent pic:

Edited by debraran

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I wonder if that's one of the reasons why his ex left him.  Because that fridge, heck, his whole place, seemed gross.  But there could be some deeper issues that he and Karamo didn't get into. Maybe he has issues that he never became as famous as his sister.

• Love 1
On 6/7/2020 at 5:33 PM, Empress1 said:

I don’t know if y’all watch Big Mouth, an animated show also on Netflix, but the Fab 5 played themselves on an episode & made over one of the characters. They directly addressed that Bobby (& a team of people) does the most work. He’s like “while Jonathan gave you a haircut & Karamo told you to believe in yourself, I rebuilt your fucking house.”

Here's the link to the Big Mouth/Queer Eye crossover.

I watched that episode. Somehow, animated Jonathan is more low-key that real-life Jonathan. Go figure.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, PRgal said:

I wonder if that's one of the reasons why his ex left him.  Because that fridge, heck, his whole place, seemed gross.  But there could be some deeper issues that he and Karamo didn't get into. Maybe he has issues that he never became as famous as his sister.

Didn't she say he was the one who called it quits? 

• Love 1

That would've been a total confidence booster!

I think it could have been fun. But at the same time, I can definitely understand being wary about bringing a woman who is already self-conscious about her height to a store that caters to men. Even though most drag queens end up looking glamorous and feminine, a store like that wouldn't be right for everyone. It was a safer option to take her to Old Navy and show her that she could find flattering clothes in a normal store. 

• Love 2

Jonathan looks like he's got a little bit of a beer gut this season, and he keeps wearing midriff-baring tops which only highlight the issue. 

I also want to know what Tan does to make his hair that high. I'm guessing lots and lots of spray. I remember the episode with the kids who had super-soakers and he was terrified of getting his hair wet.

I still like the show, but as with the original series, the novelty is wearing off. I think it helps that they have branched out in terms of the make-overs but the constant parade of hard-luck cases can be exhausting. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Jonathan looks like he's got a little bit of a beer gut this season, and he keeps wearing midriff-baring tops which only highlight the issue. 

I also want to know what Tan does to make his hair that high. I'm guessing lots and lots of spray. I remember the episode with the kids who had super-soakers and he was terrified of getting his hair wet.

I still like the show, but as with the original series, the novelty is wearing off. I think it helps that they have branched out in terms of the make-overs but the constant parade of hard-luck cases can be exhausting. 

No one can replace Kenny but we need more ones like him and Jonathan's teacher and Miss. Tammy to lighten the load.

• Love 1

This is going to be unpopular but oh well...

Activist Abby's episode coming right after sweet Tyreek's pissed me off. Here's a young man who was recently homeless actually doing something to better his community and the world around him. He isn't asking for fame or his moment in the sun - he's just trying to do good. What a kind soul - I pray the pandemic didn't harm his job.

Then we have Abby, who like is being totally like bankrolled and enabled by her parents who like are of the very generation that killed the planet (rolls eyes). You can't tell me the 'fellowship' is funding her lifestyle. Child has zero idea of what 'need' means. I admire her earnestness but honestly, take it down a notch before you work yourself into a state and wreck your health by the time you're 20. If you really want to do some good, hike your entitled little fanny down to a soup kitchen or homeless shelter or nursing home and volunteer a few days a month in between protests (like my children who were the product of an evil Republican household did as teens). The sad thing is I saw a glimmer of a young girl who's yearning to have a little fun AND SHE SHOULD - I kind of found her giggle endearing because she was acting like the 18 year old she is. 

Rant over. On to the next episode where I hope to return to my pattern of weeping happy tears and wishing I could hang with the Fab 5. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Could be, but it also just might be super thick. If I wash my hair before I go to sleep, when I get up the next morning, I could get it to do what Tan's does just by pushing it pretty much. If someone sprayed me with water though, it'd get frizzy.

I'm not quite finished Season 5 just yet, but I've enjoyed all of the episodes and "heroes" so far.

Even Abby the activist (usually a type that annoys me) didn't bother me all that much. Are there other people who would be more deserving? No doubt, but she's still just a kid. I loved the clothing Tan found for her, and as usual, Bobby worked his magic in the house.

Everyone else featured so far has been great - I loved the Dad getting spiffed up for his daughter's wedding (I have to wonder if his ex was just a tad jealous of both his personal and home makeover).

Tyreek's story was very moving, and I'm glad he was able to reconnect with the woman who helped raise him. I hope he goes far - such a good soul who had a rough start.

These Philly episodes seem to have a really nice vibe, and it's not a city I've ever thought much about or been intrigued by before, so it's nice to get glimpses of it on the show. 

I think I adore each of the 5 more than ever, and wish they would all show up together at my apartment to hang out! They can bring Walter too!

• Love 3
(edited)

I hate saying this, but I'm really not feeling this season!  The Japan season blows these last few seasons out of the water.  I thought that was one of the best seasons of TV I had seen in years.  This season, I can barely get through.  

I watched the DJ and Dr. Yi first.  I did enjoy the episodes, but these are very conventionally attractive people so I was kind of rolling my eyes, too.

The trainer episode was better.  The mother with the husband who had ALS, I'm sorry but I just didn't get much from that.  The gay pastor same.  There was a really powerful scene with the other pastors that I enjoyed, but other than that.  

I haven't seen the rest yet.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

So basically you need Tan's hair to do Tan's hair. 🙂

Then we have Abby, who like is being totally like bankrolled and enabled by her parents who like are of the very generation that killed the planet (rolls eyes). You can't tell me the 'fellowship' is funding her lifestyle. Child has zero idea of what 'need' means. I admire her earnestness but honestly, take it down a notch before you work yourself into a state and wreck your health by the time you're 20. If you really want to do some good, hike your entitled little fanny down to a soup kitchen or homeless shelter or nursing home and volunteer a few days a month in between protests (like my children who were the product of an evil Republican household did as teens). 

Regardless of whether she was raised with privilege, I admire her for doing something meaningful with her life and devoting herself to a cause. I hope you are not suggesting that working at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen is somehow more important than fighting for climate science legislation. We need more young people like Abby to cause changes in this world, because hers is the generation we are leaving it to. Good for her for fighting for it.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Regardless of whether she was raised with privilege, I admire her for doing something meaningful with her life and devoting herself to a cause. I hope you are not suggesting that working at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen is somehow more important than fighting for climate science legislation. We need more young people like Abby to cause changes in this world, because hers is the generation we are leaving it to. Good for her for fighting for it.

Everyone has their own priorities.  For example, I'm trying to encourage my ancestral community to become more open about mental health awareness/destigmatize (many East Asian communities still think speaking with a therapist = airing dirty laundry.  And/or for some, the whole idea of speaking with someone about what's going on isn't even something they realize.  Instead, they focus on the actual physical illness).  Is that somehow "less" than volunteering in (say) a homeless shelter (once Covid clears up, anyway)?  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Why do you 'hope' I'm not suggesting something? My opinion and priorities are my opinion and priorities and yours are yours. That's the way the U.S. used to work before we all got so touchy and offended at everything with which we don't agree.

I do agree with your point about praising the next generation of leaders who are stepping up to the plate - each in their own way - to make change in causes they believe in. My own children included. But along the way, let's not forget to do a small kindness here and there for folks who desperately need the help - that was my point. And not to lose the thread's purpose, that's what I really love about the Fab Five - they're just so decent and good and kind. I leave most episodes wanting to be a better person. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Regardless of whether she was raised with privilege, I admire her for doing something meaningful with her life and devoting herself to a cause.

Yep, I'd rather see young people like her trying to make a difference in the world than young people taking selfies for their "influencer" social media life. I think she was picked because of her near crippling timidity. To do what she wants to do she does, unfortunately (appearance shouldn't matter, but it does), have to look and act more professional. They helped her with that. 

15 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

I think I adore each of the 5 more than ever, and wish they would all show up together at my apartment to hang out! They can bring Walter too!

I would make it mandatory that they bring Walter. I am most like Antoni (except I don't cook) so I would hug the hell out of sweet Walter then remember the rest of them are there. Now, if they brought a corgi I wouldn't even know the rest of them were there. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Goodness this tutorial was way more complex than I was expecting. I didn't realize that Tan had a lot of natural curl in his hair, which is what allows him to achieve those gravity defying heights. I have to say I thought he looked really great "before" with his hair a bit mussed up!

21 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I would make it mandatory that they bring Walter. I am most like Antoni (except I don't cook) so I would hug the hell out of sweet Walter then remember the rest of them are there. Now, if they brought a corgi I wouldn't even know the rest of them were there. 

Dogs should always be mandatory! 

• Love 4

Mixed bag of a season. But glad to have it. 

have NEVER thought of adding pickled grapes to pesto and chicken!

I sometimes use golden raisins, pine nuts and sun dried tomatoes, but I love this. Antoni, more of this, please.

Ryan: I dunno. He seemed to want kids more than a partner. Not sure his music life has room for either (as he approaches it), so perhaps cleaning him up and allowing him to tell his family what he really wanted was the best the guys could do—or should do. Wish Tan would have burned the tank tops and shorts.

Closet Pantry will return in no time. What about Ryan’s housemates?! 

• LOL 1

Then we have Abby, who like is being totally like bankrolled and enabled by her parents who like are of the very generation that killed the planet (rolls eyes). You can't tell me the 'fellowship' is funding her lifestyle. Child has zero idea of what 'need' means.

I said this already but I feel like her episode was more about showcasing her organization than Abby's dire need. Also, I think it makes sense for privileged young people to have a place in local advocacy groups/protest movements/grassroots organizing, etc. They have the time. They have the financial backing. Why should that burden be placed on people who are struggling to get by and who have more immediate needs to worry about?

• Love 7
(edited)

I think the problem with featuring so many hard luck cases and sob stories is that when they feature someone like Abby people tend to get critical about it like they don't deserve to be there, comparatively. I can certainly understand why people would feel that way, because the show has sort of re-branded itself as a Make-A-Wish type of charity for folks down on their luck. It's too bad, though, because I like to see a variety of subjects and don't really need all the drama to enjoy what the Fab 5 do.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 5

@iMonrey Yeah, I get that. Do you think it's been a recent change? Because I feel like there's been a variety in every season with maybe 1-3 clients per season being relatively fine financially but needing help for one reason or another. I think Abby also just pushed some people's buttons. If we're arguing about who needed the Fab Five the least, I'd pick the Jersey Shore DJ. 

I wonder how much of that is a budget thing. I mean, this show is a big hit and Netflix has piles of money. But still, I can see them wanting to balance episodes where they do huge renovations on multiple spaces with episodes where they just kind of clean a bit and put in some decent new furniture.

• Love 3
On 6/16/2020 at 5:37 PM, Mabinogia said:

Yep, I'd rather see young people like her trying to make a difference in the world than young people taking selfies for their "influencer" social media life. I think she was picked because of her near crippling timidity. To do what she wants to do she does, unfortunately (appearance shouldn't matter, but it does), have to look and act more professional. They helped her with that. 

I agree, especially since she's so young. People are going to write her off as a kid who doesn't - can't - know anything before she even opens her mouth simply because she's 18; she needs to come to the table looking as poised as possible, both in the way she looks and the way she speaks.

I find it interesting that Abby's privilege is discussed but Dr. Yi's isn't. I assume as a pediatrician, she earns a comfortable amount - enough to have her husband as a SAHD, anyway. She could afford a Trunk Club membership to help her with her wardrobe and she was conventionally attractive (her hair makeover was nice, but very subtle because she didn't need much).

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I agree, especially since she's so young. People are going to write her off as a kid who doesn't - can't - know anything before she even opens her mouth simply because she's 18; she needs to come to the table looking as poised as possible, both in the way she looks and the way she speaks.

I find it interesting that Abby's privilege is discussed but Dr. Yi's isn't. I assume as a pediatrician, she earns a comfortable amount - enough to have her husband as a SAHD, anyway. She could afford a Trunk Club membership to help her with her wardrobe and she was conventionally attractive (her hair makeover was nice, but very subtle because she didn't need much).

I don't think Dr. Yi grew up in a privileged home.  Her parents are immigrants, owned a small business, may or may not have had linguistic challenges and probably had to put in A LOT of hours to give her a middle class lifestyle.  Yes, she's privileged, but she's not a second generation doctor or a child of, say, an accountant and a stay-at-home parent.  I also don't think mainstream media like to acknowledge that people of certain ethnic groups CAN have privilege (I don't mean to open a can of worms here).  Dr. Yi has privilege NOW, but she might be "new" to it all if you know what I mean.  I can call myself privileged, but my parents, especially my dad, who grew up as a child of mainland Chinese refugees to Hong Kong (actually, they both were), would unlikely have considered themselves "privileged" back in the 80s - even though we lived in a leafy Toronto suburb and they were able to afford piano and tennis lessons for me.  And send me to IT camp (known as "computer camp" back in 1988) where I was unable to code a simple program (still can't do it).

• Love 2

I don't think Dr. Yi grew up in a privileged home. 

I don't think it disqualifies her from being on this show if she did. It's not like it's a requirement. That said, I think it's dangerous to make assumptions about people we have never met, and know of only through this show. Just because somebody didn't grow up poor or live on the streets doesn't mean they haven't suffered hardships in their lives. Personally I find subjects like the pediatrician and the young activist just as positive and uplifting as the hard luck cases. Both are trying to make the world a better place. That's nothing to scorn, in my book.

• Love 11
On 6/15/2020 at 3:37 PM, iMonrey said:

He seemed to love showing it off and I think its more that he loved the perceived femininity of a round belly.

• Love 1

He seemed to love showing it off and I think its more that he loved the perceived femininity of a round belly.

I didn't finish reading their joint book/partial memoir but I did read the bit where JVN talked about struggling with his weight in the past. With the stress of the last few years and how busy they have all been (he has the show, a podcast, his own book, etc.) I wouldn't be surprised if he put on some weight again unintentionally. 

• Love 1
On 6/19/2020 at 7:03 PM, iMonrey said:

Both are trying to make the world a better place. That's nothing to scorn, in my book.

And that is what I think the show sees as "deserving" It's not about being poor or underprivileged. The thing all these people have in common is they are "good people". The show calls them "heroes" I think. It is about, for me, giving people who put good out into the world, be it as an activist, a doctor or a mom caring for her family, it is about giving something nice to people who are doing for others. In that I think Abby totally qualifies because she very much neglects herself for others.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:21 PM, Conotocarious said:

I love that he is comfortable showing it off but I am also shallow enough to admit I don't find it attractive. 

• Love 3

And that is what I think the show sees as "deserving" It's not about being poor or underprivileged. The thing all these people have in common is they are "good people". The show calls them "heroes" I think. It is about, for me, giving people who put good out into the world, be it as an activist, a doctor or a mom caring for her family, it is about giving something nice to people who are doing for others. 

I think where this gets confused is that not everyone is heroic. Plenty of people are just... fine. I don't want to speculate on who is and isn't a good person when the cameras aren't there. But just in terms of their jobs or whether they actively support family members, there's nothing particularly altruistic about their day to day behavior and they also aren't dealing with a financial struggle (at least that we're aware of in the context of the show). So it feels weird to put them next to the episodes of people who are volunteers and activists or who have nursed a relative through end of life care or who are dealing with financial hardship or just recovering from instability and could really use the Fab 5's help. 

I didn't watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition but I got the sense that the clients featured were all deserving of the home renovation in some way. It wasn't like one week they just featured someone with a terrible home decor aesthetic or a 30-something who was still living in a college-style bachelor pad. 

• Love 1