Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

SilverStormm

Anticipation for The First Lady

FIRST LADIES

New Drama Series Starring Viola Davis Coming Soon to SHOWTIME

Showtime has given a series order to the first season of the hour-long drama First Ladies, starring and executive produced by Oscar, Emmy and Tony® winner Viola Davis, who will play former first lady Michelle Obama. Produced by Showtime and Lionsgate Television, the series will also be executive produced by Julius Tennon, Oscar winner Cathy Schulman (Crash, Five Feet Apart), Jeff Gaspin (Rhythm + Flow, L.A.’s Finest), Brad Kaplan (Mr. Church) and author Aaron Cooley (Four Seats: A Thriller of the Supreme Court), who created the series and will write.

In the East Wing of the White House, many of history’s most impactful and world-changing decisions have been hidden from view, made by America's charismatic, complex and dynamic first ladies. This series will peel back the curtain on the personal and political lives of these enigmatic women, with season one focusing on Eleanor Roosevelt, Betty Ford and Michelle Obama.

NONONONONO!!!!! They're doing the WRONG ones!!!!!  There are so many more interesting First Ladies in history than those! Dolley Madison was the Grande Dame of DC since the city's founding. Sarah Polk was extremely influential, and was a slave dealer after her husband died (although she sort of supported the Union) Edith Wilson acted as President after her husband's stroke, and she, like Frances Cleveland (who was a bit of a fascist), was an ardent anti-sufferagist.

Ida McKinley, before her debilitating nervous breakdown, was an ardent adventurer and progressive political activist. I could go on.

• Love 2

I can not wait. These actresses are some of my favorites. I never watched “The X-Files,” but Gillian Anderson was wonderful in “The Fall.” 

Have Gillian Anderson and Kiefer Sutherland ever worked together before? If not, I feel like a wrong has been righted.

Edited by marinw

On 7/11/2020 at 9:15 AM, Notwisconsin said:

There are so many more interesting First Ladies in history than those!

This is just the first season. I am already wondering about the casting for 90's era Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Edited by marinw
  • Love 1