Type keyword(s) to search

The Brokenwood Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1659897606_150837706859e801eca78d6(1).thumb.jpg.5f30a44dc99e41265a6360d623115f1c.jpg

The Brokenwood Mysteries comprises 24 two-hour murder mystery stories set in a seemingly quiet country town where the town’s newest resident, Detective Senior Sergeant Mike Shepherd, finds that murder lurks in even the most homely location.

Neill Rea, (Scarfies, Legend of the Seeker, Go Girls) stars in the lead role of DI Shepherd while Fern Sutherland (The Almighty Johnsons) plays Detective Constable Kristin Sims. Recurring cast include: Nic Sampson (Step Dave, Go Girls) as DC Sam Breen and Cristina Ionda (Cold Mountain, Filthy Rich) as Dr Gina Kadinsky.

Each televison feature in the series is a standalone story which sees the show’s two lead police officers trying to solve a murder case

The latest one ep.24 just aired this past December 2020

From the website, 

DEAD AND BURIED. EPISODE 24

Mike and the team are reacquainted with some familiar faces when investigating a suspicious suicide at the Brokenwood Women’s Prison

Director: Katie Wolfe

Producer: Sally Campbell and Tim Balme

Cast: Mike NEILL REA Kristin FERN SUTHERLAND D.C. Breen NIC SAMPSON Gina CRISTINA IONDA Mrs Marlowe ELIZABETH MCRAE Hughes COLIN MOY Jared PANA HEMA-TAYLOR Reverend Greene ROY WARD Kimberley ZARA CORMACK Ray Neilson JASON HOYTE Denise AROHA RAWSON Trudy TRACY LEE GRAY Rayleen YVETTE PARSONS Brenda AMANDA BILLING Corina ROMY HOOPER Angela TEUILA BLAKELY Kasey MICHELLE LEUTHART Miranda LAURA HILL CJ Walker TOMAI IHAIA Nancy DONNA FRANKS Jonesy TAMEKA SOWMAN VAHATAU Shaz HELEN STEEMSON

Written by: Tim Balme

First aired: Sunday 1st of December 2019

Year: 2019

Runtime: 2hr

https://thebrokenwoodmysteries.com/

There are six seasons of 4 episodes each.  My local PBS station has been running them for a few years now.

The episodes vary in quality.  I think there's some requirement in New Zealand-produced  material to include Maori characters and culture.  There's one character in the first few seasons who just pops up in every episode.  I don't know why they didn't just make him the third detective.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I get episodes on AcornTV. Thanks meep.meep for mentioning that it is from New Zealand. I really enjoy the show.

Acorn has a lot of content from Australia too. If you like soapy stuff, I recommend A Place to Call Home.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 2
On 6/11/2020 at 2:36 AM, nokat said:

I get episodes on AcornTV...Acorn has a lot of content from Australia too. If you like soapy stuff, I recommend A Place to Call Home.

I got AcornTV for Doc Martin, but I've really enjoyed Brokenwood Mysteries, too. I've found some of the music on Spotify. I believe there is another season of Brownwood coming, isn't there?

I like the Australian and New Zealand shows a lot, but I wish there were more people to discuss it with. I am watching the final season of Seachange right now and have lots of thoughts on it.

I also really liked The Good Karma Hospital. Such a nice change in scenery from U.S. shows.

• Useful 1
On 6/4/2020 at 8:37 AM, meep.meep said:

There's one character in the first few seasons who just pops up in every episode.  I don't know why they didn't just make him the third detective.

Are you talking about Jared? I liked him a lot, but he was underutilized, especially when he came back in the last season.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, ForReal said:

I believe there is another season of Brownwood coming, isn't there?

I don't think another season has been ordered and it makes me wonder if it will.  Usually, a new season has been announced on their Facebook page around the end of the year but this year, it wasn't. 

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, ForReal said:

Are you talking about Jared? I liked him a lot, but he was underutilized, especially when he came back in the last season.

Yes - I couldn't remember the name.  He's a well known actor, but the character just seemed to pop up every episode for no good reason.

• LOL 1

I find Mike to be the most mediocre of dudes and have no idea why more than one woman would marry him, but more than that, I really hate how they treat Gina and her interest in Mike. 

The mysteries are good and the female lead is interesting.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I’m on Season 5 and it’s really rude how they treat Gina in general. She is a smart strong confident woman who needs to be mocked for having thoughts and expressing herself in a clever way. Everyone look at her like she is crazy!  
I keep thinking she is going to prevail but they keep making her a butt of snide facial expressions.  

• Love 1

I did not realize that there was a separate forum for Brokenwood Mysteries. Love this show. 

Watched the first show of Season 7 last night. Thrilled to see all of the usuals especially Mrs. Marlowe. 

• Love 2

I'm glad the show is back as well!   I have to admit that the first episode was too gruesome for me when it came to the murder (I couldn't watch when they showed the flashback scene) though I did enjoy the subplot about the art fraud question.

The second episode, The Witches of Brokenwood, was excellent however, I always like it when there are a lot of interesting characters and you can't really guess how it's going to end until they get there.   I am sorry Breen is leaving, however, I agree that the new detective looks promising.  I did think that Sims was looking interested in him, I wonder if there will be a romance there.

It's always great when Frodo and Mrs. Marlowe make their appearances.   I do miss Jared and his extended family (last seen in the ducks episode), I wonder if they will return.

I wonder if you really can order an I Love Brokenwood hat?

• Love 3

I’m starting season 7 and I really hope the treatment of Gina improves. These are basically unlikeable people. 
they sneer at everyone. 
if they don’t get better in the first episode I’m out

On 4/10/2021 at 7:15 PM, novhappy said:

I’m starting season 7 and I really hope the treatment of Gina improves. These are basically unlikeable people. 
they sneer at everyone. 
if they don’t get better in the first episode I’m out

It's the running joke of the series; also, Gina has no regard for any of the detectives except Mike, which is also part of the "joke". 

• Love 2

I understand that and I don’t think Gina should have any regard for the others given their sneering mocking tone and facial expressions w her. They do not appreciate the work she puts in, the answers she gives them. They do not treat her as part of the team. It may be a running joke but we are laughing at her. That is rude and unpleasant to watch. The party at Mike’s house they invited her to, Mike wasn’t there and they all made mocking faces behind her back. She’s different, she’s quirky, she’s smart and able. They use her for what she gives them and mick her personally. These are ugly people. 

Loved episode 3. Trudy being in the thick of things at the bank... Kristen's vault to save the day... Frodo being supportive....all good. I miss Breen but the new guy fit right in. 

Poor Bernie. Glad that the young teller was not involved. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, LisaM said:

Loved episode 3. Trudy being in the thick of things at the bank... Kristen's vault to save the day... Frodo being supportive....all good. I miss Breen but the new guy fit right in. 

Poor Bernie. Glad that the young teller was not involved. 

I really liked this one as well.  I watched it a second time tonight and caught all the details more completely.  In the end I felt sorry for Devin, he really was suckered and almost paid  a terrible price at the end.  Great move by Kristen.

I agree on poor Bernie.    I honestly had thought the young teller might have been behind the murder though there was no real motivation for that so I guess it wouldn't have made sense.

Also glad to see Frodo involved, however ineptly (though well meaning of course).   And the hilariously awful Dennis Buchanan was back again.  Though eventually he was a little more sensible this time.

I wonder if some of the recurring cast were not available due to Covid?  Although New Zealand was said to do an amazing job with containing the virus.

• Love 2

I enjoyed Episode 4 as well. Nice to see Craig Hall, who played the police captain in Doctor Blake Mysteries. I had forgotten about Petra being in town. 

This show is one of my top mystery programs. I love the quirkiness of the townspeople as well as the relationship between Kristin and Mike. Definitely miss Breen but the new guy is fitting in well. 

• Love 5

Just watched the first episode - I thought Trudy was back in jail (having briefly been paroled after making a deal that fell through) from her role in the jail death? Huh. When did she get back out? Tell me I missed a season, lol.

So Breen (Nic Sampson) is leaving? Sorry to see that, I enjoyed his often very dry delivery.

How any episodes as "Jools" appeared in? Three? Four? I remember the one where her sleazy husband was found dead in the pool, the bicycling one and maybe one other.

I didn't realize there were more episodes of Brokenwood, thanks for the info @LisaM!  Previous seasons were only 4 episodes I think?  I'm glad there are a couple more (checking IMDB and seeing there is another after this one).

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, and suspect they are going to give new guy some story in the season finale. Everyone in town mentions knowing him as a child, so...that's going to lead somewhere.

While Gina is still ga-ga over Mike, I don't think she's debasing herself the way she seemed to in the previous seasons. Though Mike? Why? He's not hot or appealing. I do love how good Gina is at her job, and how much she enjoys it. She may inappropriately crush on Mike, but she's not looking at him to save her from a miserable life.

I'd like a Jared appearance. 

• Love 1
On 4/26/2021 at 11:56 PM, roseha said:

I didn't realize there were more episodes of Brokenwood, thanks for the info @LisaM!  Previous seasons were only 4 episodes I think?  I'm glad there are a couple more (checking IMDB and seeing there is another after this one).

Thanks to you both, Roseha and LisaM, for the head's up on more episodes! Like you, I thought 4 episodes was it since all previous seasons were 4 eps each. Enjoyed the ep about the cinema and looking forward expectantly to one more ep? Yay! I do miss Breen, but I think Chalmers fits in rather well and I think he's more athletic in the job than Breen was. Also, since Jared seems to be MIA, Chalmers fills in nicely as the "native" foil to Mike. I hope we learn more about Chalmers' Brokenwood roots--he doesn't seem to be related to all the other native recurring characters (ie, Uncle Walter), as Jared was--and I'd love to see how he and Jared would get along if they ever meet.

• Love 1

Just watched our first (Season 1, Episode 1) Brokenwood show last night.  Still need to train my ear to follow the accent better, but closed captioning is a big help.

If any of you are interested in more about real life in New Zealand, I highly recommend "The Casketeers" on Netflix.  Sounds weird, but it's a show about a family-owned funeral business in NZ.  To watch them honor the various tribal cultures, and the respect that is shown the dead . . . heartwarming.

And the owner is hysterically funny, even when he's not trying to be.

While it was nice to see Kristen take the lead on a case, I wasn't too thrilled with this final episode of Brokenwood. There was definitely something missing: no Frodo, no Mrs. Marlowe until the last scene and Mike off on his own sad trip. I also thought that the main mystery was not very good. 

On the flip side, seeing Trudy again was a plus. 

Brokenwood is still my favorite mystery on Acorn. I hope it is renewed for Season 8. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, LisaM said:

While it was nice to see Kristen take the lead on a case, I wasn't too thrilled with this final episode of Brokenwood. There was definitely something missing: no Frodo, no Mrs. Marlowe until the last scene and Mike off on his own sad trip. I also thought that the main mystery was not very good. 

On the flip side, seeing Trudy again was a plus. 

Brokenwood is still my favorite mystery on Acorn. I hope it is renewed for Season 8. 

I actually liked this episode and cried through Mike's side story, which (while super sad) was nice to finally get some answers/resolution for that (early seasons) recurring character. However, I wish Mike had made it to the scene of the crime first to do his usual talking to the dead before leaving for his sad side trip--I find his talking to the dead, and reactions of those who see/hear him, are interesting. I did also appreciate that Sims and Chalmers were able to carry on the investigation without Mike--showed a lot of growth for Sims since she was basically a "yes" (wo)man to the previous lead investigator (Gary?). She's learned a lot from working with Mike. I appreciated that she and Chalmers worked better with Gina on this case, too (and in fairness, Gina worked better with them once she realized Mike wasn't there to investigate this case at all).

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought this was by far the best episode of Season 7 although I did enjoy the season overall.  It's true that we've been missing some of the semi-regulars - no Frodo again and only a cameo by Mrs. Marlowe at the end - however I was really glad they finally resolved the Tania story from Season One, which had always confused me.   It was clear that she and her children were in witness protection and that Mike couldn't tell anyone about it, but I never was sure what their history was  - I had actually wondered if she was his ex-wife and the kids were also his.    It was very sad to watch her dying but hopefully Hughes will be able to see to it that no threat of harm will come to the children.

The other case was at least unpredictable to me, I actually didn't guess the culprit until they revealed it right at the end (though I often don't anyway).   I did worry about Tyron (I can't remember the episode when he first appeared) and his obsession with Sims, but he didn't seem to be more than a goof in the end.  Sims and Chalmers did work well together.

I hope there will be a Season 8 as well, hopefully post-Covid we will see more of the extra cast - I would love to have Jared return for an episode or two.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 3

I wasn't as big of a fan of the Tania side story or the fact that the episode seemed to be split into two stories.  It threw off the rhythm.

I think another issue is that I rarely remember some of the characters who keep reappearing. I couldn't remember if we had seen Tania before.  I had to Google Glenn after the 5th episode to figure out who he was even though he was in the season premiere.   Last season's finale with all the prisoners was a nightmare for me because of all the one-timers who reappeared.  I was so lost. 

It did crack me up that they kept bringing Glenn in for questioning.  

And for the recurring characters I do recognize, like Frodo and Mrs. Marlowe, while I always love to see them, it didn't bother me when they don't show up.  They've never been in all the episodes.  In fact, they probably appeared more in this season than they usually do. 

• Love 2

I didn’t care about Mike’s side story and had forgotten about the woman...I didn’t even recall her name. Sure, it was sad, but a sad I’ve seen dozens of times in shows with characters in whom I have actual investment. 

I enjoyed seeing Kristin take the lead, but Glenn is a creep who has to go.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2021 at 5:25 PM, BlackberryJam said:

I didn’t care about Mike’s side story and had forgotten about the woman...I didn’t even recall her name. Sure, it was sad, but a sad I’ve seen dozens of times in shows with characters in whom I have actual investment. 

One thing I never understood is why couldn't Mike, back in S1 when Kristen asked him how he knew Tania, couldn't simply share that she was in witness protection because of a former case of his. He wouldn't need to give details about Tania's real name or about the case she was a witness, but at least then another police officer would be aware of Tania's status and help keep her and her kids out of any news events or other potential public exposure.

• Love 1

Finished watching the last episode of Series 7 last night.

I've come to love the characters and the show itself.  But I hated the ending of this episode.  Too convoluted with Gina trying to sing a song dedicated to Mike while he was focused on grieving - and toasting the memory of - Tania.  

And I found myself wishing that instead of two people from the party dying, a bomb had gone off and taken them all out.  

• Love 2
On 5/14/2021 at 5:45 AM, kimaken said:

One thing I never understood is why couldn't Mike, back in S1 when Kristen asked him how he knew Tania, couldn't simply share that she was in witness protection because of a former case of his. He wouldn't need to give details about Tania's real name or about the case she was a witness, but at least then another police officer would be aware of Tania's status and help keep her and her kids out of any news events or other potential public exposure.

Well, Mike didn't know Kristen at all when he first went to Brokenwood, and if I recall he was sent to sort of sniff out some corruption or ineptness, which turned out to be the guy he ended up replacing. So maybe he felt it was better not to talk about Tania, or maybe that's just how it works -- the more secret the identity, the safer the witness.

4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Finished watching the last episode of Series 7 last night.

I've come to love the characters and the show itself.  But I hated the ending of this episode.  Too convoluted with Gina trying to sing a song dedicated to Mike while he was focused on grieving - and toasting the memory of - Tania.

I also felt kind of off kilter by Mike grieving while Gina was reciting her poems and so on. It was an odd juxtaposition. I always felt that Tania didn't like Mike very much, or at least she blamed him for having to go into the witness protection program, but he always took the blame without flinching.

I think that is what makes Mike a guy who's had numerous wives (and why Gina has the hots for him) -- he's a good, good guy; he's kind, he's fair, he's not judgmental. Gina likes him because he is the only one who appreciates her abilities. Kristin started the snarkfest between her and Gina, and I don't blame Gina for not wanting to talk to her.

• Love 4
On 6/14/2021 at 9:43 AM, LisaM said:

I enjoyed this article from Nic Sampson who played Breen:

Breen Article

That was great, I could just hear his voice and delivery reading it. I'm glad he enjoyed being on the show as much I enjoyed his being on the show.

• Love 1

Just finished the season.

Mike needs to shut Gina down if he's not interested. I find her schtick annoying, especially when she wouldn't share information to anyone but Mike. They are all there to solve cases, not just Mike.

Glenn is a creep and I hate that they are pairing him with Kristin.

The new guy is boring. Breen was at least funny.

• Love 3
On 7/18/2021 at 2:40 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

Mike needs to shut Gina down if he's not interested. I find her schtick annoying, especially when she wouldn't share information to anyone but Mike. They are all there to solve cases, not just Mike.

Glenn is a creep and I hate that they are pairing him with Kristin.

The new guy is boring. Breen was at least funny.

I have to agree, on all counts. I get that Mike doesn't want to be unkind, but Gina cannot and will not take a hint, it seems. I didn't like Kristin with that guy, either. And yes, the new guy is a little dull, although still likable.

• Love 1
(edited)

The show is back!!

I am so glad that that guy they had Kristen flirting with last season, is gone (so far). That was NOT a good look for her!

Its funny, I thought it was nice that they had toned down the Gina's Mike obsession, but when I saw the ending and the message on Mike's phone, I had this sudden fear that maybe she's toned down because they're dating...I hope not!! Her inappropriateness was way too much and it would feel like rewarding her borderline (and not so borderline) sexual harassment!

Edited by Maren
Correcting a name
  • Love 2

I'm a new viewer of this series, and I love it.  I'm watching the episodes in order, and last night watched Series 5, Episode 3, "Tontine".  There were so many characters and intertwined relationships, I admit it was confusing to me.  I think I finally sorted everything out, and then the final scene showed one of the original owners returning to the farm and being greeted by the older woman who had lived there for years.  Were they friends? Lovers? Help!    

(edited)

@laredhead, if I remember correctly it was implied that they were former lovers.  Usually the best thing to do is to re-watch any scene with Mrs. Marlowe, she always seems to reveal the relevant gossip especially about past events.

Looking forward to seeing this show again!  Not all mysteries can combine humor with sympathetic characters as this one does.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2

May I request that since episodes aren't individually listed for Brokenwood, it would be helpful to indicate season and episode number, e.g., Season 8, Episode 1 was a great start to the season.  So glad to see the folks back.

This has worked really well with other shows where we don't all watch the show at the same time.    

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Loved seeing the police chief from The Doctor Blake Mysteries with such a big role on Season 8, Episode 1 (he played the victim's ex-husband). Great to have Brokenwood back; nice to see Trudy, the priest and Frodo but I missed Mrs. Marlowe. I don't mind the new detective (whose name I can't even remember) but I really miss Breen. He added a lot to this show. 

ETA: Just watched Season 8, Episode 2 which I did not like as much as the first episode. (This was the one with the death at the Drum and Bass Festival.) Frodo seemed much less scatterbrained than usual. Among the regulars: Neil, the pharmacist, and Trudy but no Mrs. Marlowe. Lots of Chalmers, Breen's replacement, who was dull. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Applause 1

I've watched only Season 8 Episode 1, tonight.   Enjoyable comeback episode.  I  have to say that the extended opening featuring the return of the  Oades boys had me thinking of Larry, Daryl and Daryl.  That said, I did like the way the story ultimately played out.  It was interesting without being too obvious although I strongly suspected the guilty party well ahead of time.

I miss Mrs. Marlowe as well!  I hope she will be returning.  I have to say though that I always love a scene with the dreaded attorney Dennis Buchanan, I just find him hilarious although he didn't have as many classic lines as in the past.

As far as the message on Mike's phone goes, I hope/think it's not from Gina.  He still seems awkward in her presence for good reason!

• Love 3

The characterizations in the first two episodes have been wonderful. The plots/murders have had some serious problems, but it is worth watching for the characters.

Glad to see the Gina/Mike thing has been toned way down.

• Love 3
On 7/1/2022 at 11:21 PM, Maren said:

Its funny, I thought it was nice that they had toned down the Gina's Mike obsession, but when I saw the ending and the message on Mike's phone, I had this sudden fear that maybe she's toned down because they're dating...I hope not!! Her inappropriateness was way too much and it would feel like rewarding her borderline (and not so borderline) sexual harassment!

I thought it was too indicate that it was a new girlfriend.  Mike had just had that conversation about never getting married again that implied he might have met someone new.  I thought he just didn’t notice the phone.