Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S35.10: The Final Countdown

Recommended Posts

Quote

Bananas and Wes’ alliance comes to a crossroads as players realize that they may not have much longer to earn a Red Skull to make it into the Finals. Players must compete in TJ’s favorite game of each season - trivia.

Airs June 3, 2020.

Share this post


Link to post

Melissa said missile, Jenny said “miss-aisle”.  Now I wonder where they are both from and if it’s a regional dialect thing.  Unless Dee is the one who said “miss-aisle,” in which case, never mind.

TJ’s glee at trivia is one of my favorite things ever.

Josh said his parents are older but they look my age and shut UP, Josh.

How is Cory’s lady a Teen Mom?  She doesn’t look under 19, or does she have older kids?

Kyle calls John “Johnny” instead of that ridiculous nickname and I love him for that.  Did I hear Josh say Johnny too? No, no I did not.

I’m pretty sure my son, who has an inexplicable adoration for John, said Bananas 67 times in five minutes and he’s disowned now.

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK

You’re not better, that was dumb luck.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Before I start on any other part of the episode, is it me or are the elimination challenges really sucking this season? I just feel like they're anticlimactic and basic. Who came up with the elimination challenges this season?

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Ugh, Wes why? What a waste! He should have just left it to the finale. Especially when there are so many other randos that could have gone in. He looked so upset, I felt bad for him.

And now Josh is happy. Gross.

Without Cara Maria, Kyle really has no storyline does he? He is playing a super scared game. Or he's just trying to hang out in the house for a free vacation with his friends for as long as he can.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

That elimination got me so hard, I don't know why. Maybe it was 90s nostalgia (why, Hootie, why?), maybe it was that these two players do have more years on them and as Wes said, "maturity," compared to the young(er) bucks. Realizing you probably have more in common with your greatest rival, and could've spent all those years being friends -- even if it was just a stupid made-for-TV moment .... in that moment, I believed it. You could just see the years, the history between them.

It's why I've always loved reality TV: because the strategy and competitions are fun, but the personal connections that form when people are under stress can be so compelling. The history these people have with each other is like another subplot of this show.

It was one of my favorite reality TV moments this year, not because of the outcome, but because the players sold what it meant, and I bought it. And on a show like this, with the fighting and the drama and the hook-ups, that seems rare.

As an elimination it was kind of meh. But it did live up to the hype.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

They really  tried to hype it up, probably prodded everyone else to do talking heads about how great it would be, etc.

It was mostly luck of the draw, though it looked like Wes may have missed a battery in one of the holes he punched.

I can see why he wanted to see if he got a better draw.  But if the Final had a big swimming section, he might regret it.

How can grown up people be that thrilled about BK?  Guess they're a sponsor and playing along.  But the other challengers got into the leftovers so maybe they just give them shitty snack foods.

The $5000 prizes were nice.  Guess the fees they get for being on each week aren't all that.

Share this post


Link to post

If you ever told me before tonight that I would actually think kindly of Johnny in all the years I have been watching the Challenge, I would have died laughing.  He still works my absolute last nerve but I did appreciate how he spoke to a clearly devastated Wes at the end. 

(Not going to lie, though, my first thought when he won was the words of John Lydon: "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?")

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Well, we finally got the showdown we've already wanted (#CvPNeverCounts). Of course, Johnny winds up beating Wes. The stupid thing is that both came off mature about it. It's almost like we're getting a Johnny Redemption Arc, which would fit if this is the last season ever (or at least the last one we get for a while). That doesn't sit right with me. No matter what, Johnny is the bad guy. He's been using that brand for ages. Why stop now?

Once again, Wes outsmarts himself. As usual, his play was sound, but he failed yet again. Wes E. Coyote went off the cliff yet again. I don't know what was more painful for him: the fact that he will never truly one-up Johnny, or the four-hour operation to remove Josh from his jock.

Josh is still extra.

The kids are still not that great at trivia. Then again, who cares which act won Best Video? The VMAs are irrelevant!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh. I didn't watch until the end because I read here that Wes lost and for some reason I thought JOSH beat Wes. Now that I know it's Johnny I may go and finish watching the episode. 

I do love the trivia challenge. TJ's glee over it is wonderful. It doesn't seem to go on long enough for me though. I think there was one year they were laying on a thing and when they got 2 wrong it opened up on them. That was better.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

How is Cory’s lady a Teen Mom?  She doesn’t look under 19, or does she have older kids?

Cheyenne was brought on board to replace original cast member Farrah Abraham apparently because Farrah was unmanageable and treated the crew like crap. Cheyenne was not a teen mom and her daughter with Cory is her only child. Cheyenne and Cory met when they both competed on the Challenge together. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

How is Cory’s lady a Teen Mom?  She doesn’t look under 19, or does she have older kids?

The girlfriend they showed isn't the one that's on Teen Mom. Although, as was pointed out already, his other baby mama that is on the show wasn't a teen mom either so!

12 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

[Kyle] is playing a super scared game. Or he's just trying to hang out in the house for a free vacation with his friends for as long as he can.

I think he's just there for a paid vacation and doesn't give one shit if he actually makes the final. He just wants to get the maximum stipend lol. I'm sure he figures he has no chance to win a final anyway.

12 hours ago, Eolivet said:

It's why I've always loved reality TV: because the strategy and competitions are fun, but the personal connections that form when people are under stress can be so compelling. The history these people have with each other is like another subplot of this show.

It was one of my favorite reality TV moments this year, not because of the outcome, but because the players sold what it meant, and I bought it. And on a show like this, with the fighting and the drama and the hook-ups, that seems rare.

This! I have complicated feelings for both of them but fucking hell that whole thing got to me, dammit! I blame Hootie and nostalgia!

10 hours ago, scrb said:

How can grown up people be that thrilled about BK?

I'm 35 and I won't pretend like I wouldn't be happy to get BK, especially when I've been living in a bunker with no fast food (presumably) for awhile.

10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

It's almost like we're getting a Johnny Redemption Arc ...

I'm sensing the same thing. I'm hoping it means Johnny is going to retire, at least for a little while lol.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

The eliminations continue to be poorly designed. That was mostly a game of luck. I would have preferred a banger or even just a more strategic elimination. 
 

I prefer Wes to Johnny, but Johnny is a better overall player. Wes had allies that could have helped him to go in next, and there is still probably going to be a purge to gain a red skull. He should have sent Cory in and taken the chance that Johnny would win and come back and help get him in the next elimination. 
 

Right now, I’d say Johnny or Dee is going to win the season. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Forgot my other favorite part of the episode, highlighting most contestants' lack of ... shall we say, intellectual prowess?

TJ: You get $5,000.

Wes: Apiece?

Contestants: ::crickets:: ??????

TJ: Each.

Contestants: WOOOOOO!!!!!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

it seemed like Dee somehow got the easiest questions. I can't remember who won the VMAs but who is the leader of ancient Egypt? and it's multiple choice??!!

It's been so long since I watched this show that I could not remember who I liked more/less in the old days: Bananas and Wes nor could I remember how the Bananas name started.

I am tired of seeing people decline to go into purgatory and then when the challenge is over immediately start saying "I've got to get my skull now!!" ---I see you Nany though she is not the only idiot to do that.

Share this post


Link to post

Wes versus Bananas in an elimination is as close as I'm getting to sports right now, so I'll take it.  Was definitely rooting for Wes though.  Much like Mayweather-Pacquiao, this took place a few years too late.  

Thought is was pretty amusing hearing Rogan use his affinity for BK as a reason to bring him into the tribunal.

 "Bring me in, I love Burger King."

 "I love Burger King, so please bring me in Wes."

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I missed the trivia part...must find it On Demand! It makes me laugh and weep (even more) for the future (TM Ferris Bueller).

My love of Wes dimmed a bit after the obnoxious stunt with Kailah, but it returned in this episode. And WTF, am I starting to like Johnny a bit? That must be Challenge Stockholm Syndrome.

At the end, they looked like the real people they are, and not just their challenge caricatures. It was kind of cool, and they both showed some class. I wanted Wes to still pull out a win though.

It was funny when they cut to all the other competitors, and they looked so...young? Scared? Immature? I don't know, the nostalgia really was strong on this one.

I enjoyed the elimination, mainly because it kind of looks like fun. I would have liked seeing them go head to head in a full on brawl though, and they probably would have preferred something like that too. 

Damned if I'm not actually hoping for a Johnny win.*

ETA: Shut UP Josh! Damn. How does he manage to be both bland and annoying at the same time?

 

*I reserve the right to change my mind next week.

Edited by CrazyDog
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

TJ was great this episode with that wicked laugh😂. Dee crying to be delivered to the ledge was funny. Josh still confused why no one going after him since he is the biggest threat🤣. Everyone saving you buddy to own their stripes. Cory rolling his eyes hard when TJ giving Johnny props cracked me up. TJ was laying it on thick. Kinda of annoying😆

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

18 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

it seemed like Dee somehow got the easiest questions. I can't remember who won the VMAs but who is the leader of ancient Egypt? and it's multiple choice??!!

It's been so long since I watched this show that I could not remember who I liked more/less in the old days: Bananas and Wes nor could I remember how the Bananas name started.

I am tired of seeing people decline to go into purgatory and then when the challenge is over immediately start saying "I've got to get my skull now!!" ---I see you Nany though she is not the only idiot to do that.

Omg yes! When Nany was whining about needing her skull, I was like "why didn't you go in Nany?!" What is she waiting for? I agree Kyle seems to be there for a free vacation

Nelson and Cory are dummies but I did crack up at them miming eating popcorn when talking to Wes about him going against Johnny. 

Big LOL at Dee cheering when Rogan got a question right. Girl, he does not care about you

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, MaggieG said:

Nelson and Cory are dummies but I did crack up at them miming eating popcorn when talking to Wes about him going against Johnny. 

And it was actually smart.  There was probably no one except Wes who had a real chance of beating Johnny.  So why not do everything you can to ensure one of the two strongest players goes home?  A different scenario could have led to Wes and Johnny in the finals, and they are two incredibly strong finalists.  I do think Wes should have gambled and waited.  However, I think production is fucked up that they would screw him either way.  Now that he threw himself in, I think there will be another round of guy's eliminations, and I think if he stayed out, there wouldn't have been, or at best a purge situation.  I think they would go for maximum drama either way.

I do think Johnny kind of screwed Wes, Wes wasn't wrong about that.  He worked for his win and should have had first dibs.  If Johnny had been salty about Wes putting himself in, but tbh, he was showing good sportsmanship as soon as Wes came down.  And honestly, at the end, I was starting to wonder if Johnny LIKE-likes Wes, lol.  It was intense!  I do prefer Wes over Johnny, but I think this friendship makes them BOTH more likable. 

Also, this pains me to say, truly it does, but especially after watching older seasons, Johnny really is growing into a very good looking man.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I just realized all the guys complaining about not having a skull. That's what happens when you throw Jay in 3 times

  • Like 13
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/3/2020 at 9:36 PM, mojoween said:

TJ’s glee at trivia is one of my favorite things ever.

Mine too!  His excitement for the trivia mission always makes me giggle. 

On 6/3/2020 at 9:40 PM, AntFTW said:

Before I start on any other part of the episode, is it me or are the elimination challenges really sucking this season? I just feel like they're anticlimactic and basic. Who came up with the elimination challenges this season?

The elimination game this episode was soooooooo boring and another in a long line of lackluster elimination games this season.  There should have been a strategy component or maybe even have their ropes linked like in the semi truck challenge from a few episodes ago so that they had to figure out how to deal with the rope tension as they tried to move up and down the structure. It sucks that we have these two great competitors who are both athletic, smart, and strategic but their "epic battle" was wasted on this. 

22 hours ago, tinderbox said:

I really wanted Wes to beat Johnny.  Bummed.

Me too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, lasu said:

And honestly, at the end, I was starting to wonder if Johnny LIKE-likes Wes, lol.

+1

Quote

... Johnny really is growing into a very good looking man.

I felt some type of way when he had the glasses on and I did not like it one bit lol.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:
6 hours ago, lasu said:

 

 

Quote

... Johnny really is growing into a very good looking man.

I felt some type of way when he had the glasses on and I did not like it one bit lol.

The worst part? It reminded me of how I felt when CT was a douchebag for soooooo long, and then he put his glasses on and I felt like I needed a shower. With him. 

Edited by lasu
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post

So now I’m thinking that this is a critical point in the game for people with red skulls.

Now, we have enough people to throw people into eliminations that both have red skulls. People with red skulls could start targeting people they don’t want in the final.

1) Get people with red skulls that you don’t want in a final voted in by the house

2) Win tribunal and nominate at least one person with a red skull and choose that person.

3) Keep people that you don’t want in a final, and who also don’t have red skulls, out of eliminations.

 

I would love to see that.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I just realized all the guys complaining about not having a skull. That's what happens when you throw Jay in 3 times

This does not seem to be a very strategic thinking group, so the realization that the more red skulls one person gets the fewer there will be for the rest of the group may have flown right over their heads. 

And Wes/Johnny acting like grownups and expressing regrets over their rivalry getting in the way of a friendship hit me in the feels. Real adult behavior is not something often seen on this show.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

1) I forgot to also add in any one of my previous posts for this episode that Nelson is a fuckin’ idiot.

2) Bayleigh and Chris really suck at playing this game. They need to go. They’re a waste of space.

3) I want to see Nany in a final. It’s been a long time coming. She really needs to stop playing a scared game. She plays a scared game every season. No matter what she needs to put herself into an elimination next week and win (and take Dee out).

4) In the final, I imagine that if a lot of people have red skulls, there would be a purge part of it as they did last season with that final puzzle.

5) I wish that it wasn’t Wes and Johnny in that elimination. I hoping for a small chance that it would be Chris going in because he’s useless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

6) HOW COULD I FORGET ABOUT JOSH? Josh just keeps dodging bullets. He wasn’t on the board for eliminations, and he felt SO RELIEVED! Wes almost got him that time to go in against Johnny. Phew! 
 

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, AntFTW said:

1) I forgot to also add in any one of my previous posts for this episode that Nelson is a fuckin’ idiot.

2) Bayleigh and Chris really suck at playing this game. They need to go. They’re a waste of space.

3) I want to see Nany in a final. It’s been a long time coming. She really needs to stop playing a scared game. She plays a scared game every season. No matter what she needs to put herself into an elimination next week and win (and take Dee out).

4) In the final, I imagine that if a lot of people have red skulls, there would be a purge part of it as they did last season with that final puzzle.

5) I wish that it wasn’t Wes and Johnny in that elimination. I hoping for a small chance that it would be Chris going in because he’s useless.

I like Nany and all, but she's never been great at eliminations. She did make the final in Free Agents and was I think only 10 minutes from beating Laurel.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, jsm1125 said:

I like Nany and all, but she's never been great at eliminations. She did make the final in Free Agents and was I think only 10 minutes from beating Laurel.

I don’t disagree. She’s terrible at eliminations. Most eliminations this season have been “equalizer challenge”, challenges where the playing field is equal and it doesn’t take skill or brawn to win a challenge.

I don’t believe she ever went into an elimination in Free Agents and that’s why she made it to the final.

Before, the “name of the game” is keeping yourself out of eliminations. She sucked at keeping herself out of eliminations. Now, you have to go in and win just to have a shot at winning the season, and she’s sucking at throwing herself in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

19 hours ago, AntFTW said:

So now I’m thinking that this is a critical point in the game for people with red skulls.

Now, we have enough people to throw people into eliminations that both have red skulls. People with red skulls could start targeting people they don’t want in the final.

1) Get people with red skulls that you don’t want in a final voted in by the house

2) Win tribunal and nominate at least one person with a red skull and choose that person.

3) Keep people that you don’t want in a final, and who also don’t have red skulls, out of eliminations.

 

I would love to see that.

I've been saying something similar all season.  If I was a challenger, anyone who I didn't want to see in the final I would be campaigning non-stop for their name to never be called; same for the people who piss me off.  In order for them to win a red skull, they'd need to win the mission to get themselves onto a tribunal and into the Purgatory.  It's bizarre to me that they would hand people like Jenny, Fessy, and Johnny a shot at the final.  Once I heard the new rules, Johnny was NEVER stepping foot in the purgatory arena because he's proven that when he can get to a final, he's winning.  But most of the people on this show are so dumb they're literally giving away their own shot at the final.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I would be all about the BK win.  I used to have one that was a two minute walk from my house and they went out of business.  I was gutted.  Plus if Angelina from Survivor can be brought to near orgasm over having Applebee's as a reward, grown adults can be excited for having BK as a reward.

I wonder if something happened to a member of Josh's family.  In this episode they show him talking to the various members of his family.  Then on the previews they showed him crouching on the floor crying.  Granted that could mean nothing, but it did seem odd that they would show the clip of him talking to his family when it had nothing to do with the actual show.  For example Jenna talking to Zach.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size