Type keyword(s) to search

New Girl - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Great thread! We're moving away from "general discussion" type of threads because they overlap too much with "all episodes talk," so I made this into the all episodes talk thread.

I liked this moment from "Parking Spot," and I've been known to post this video on other forums when people try to make me leave a debate (usually because they know they can't win, haha):

Just discovered the show on Netflix and I'm on S3. JJ and ZD really have great chemistry together. Their first kiss actually feels like a great weird first kiss instead of a posed TV kiss.

• Love 1

I started this show a week ago. I'm in Season 3 now. I don't know how to explain the fact that I do NOT like this show but I keep watching.

Like: Nick, Schmidt

Dislike: Anything Jess except Jess/Nick (WTF? I KNOW, right?!!)

I agree that their kiss in the hall was pure awesomeness. It felt passionate and awkward and real; not tv staged.

• Love 1

^I laughed so hard the first time I saw this scene. I rewatched it a bunch of times immediately, and when I came to it on a recent rewatch, it made me laugh all over again.

• Love 1

I'm rematch I got from the beginning and I forgot how great this show was at the beginning.  Season 2 might be my favorite season of a comedy ever.  I just loved all the Nick.and Jess stuff that season.  I'm on season 3 now and they just really screwed it up.  I hated the whole break up thing.   It was pointless.  The alligators have such great chemistry and there was no reason for them to break them up.

• Love 4

Sorry to double-post but my last post was over a month ago, so I think it's safe...

This show has taken the place of Friends as my go-to feel good show to watch while cooking dinner and doing household chores. I'm on my third viewing now. It is such a comfy, cozy show.

• Love 2
On 2/27/2018 at 11:41 AM, RainbowBrite said:

Sorry to double-post but my last post was over a month ago, so I think it's safe...

This show has taken the place of Friends as my go-to feel good show to watch while cooking dinner and doing household chores. I'm on my third viewing now. It is such a comfy, cozy show.

Same, people kept saying HIMYM was the best replacement for Friends, but I think the whiteness of the Friends era didn't sustain through the aughts. So New Girl takes the throne from Friends. 

Have you seen Happy Endings? It's on Hulu and is a really great accompaniment to New Girl. Plenty of shared actors too.

• Love 5
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, BoogieBurns said:

Same, people kept saying HIMYM was the best replacement for Friends, but I think the whiteness of the Friends era didn't sustain through the aughts. So New Girl takes the throne from Friends. 

Have you seen Happy Endings? It's on Hulu and is a really great accompaniment to New Girl. Plenty of shared actors too.

I have seen Happy Endings once, all the way through, back when it was on Canadian Netflix. Unfortunately I don't think I can get Hulu here. I'd love to watch it again. While I did enjoy it (it is HILARIOUS), it didn't also give me the warm fuzzies I get from New Girl.

49 minutes ago, RainbowBrite said:

I have seen Happy Endings once, all the way through, back when it was on Canadian Netflix. Unfortunately I don't think I can get Hulu here. I'd love to watch it again. While I did enjoy it (it is HILARIOUS), it didn't also give me the warm fuzzies I get from New Girl.

Agreed. The warmth matches Parks and Rec. The hangout and humor matched Happy Endings. Hulu shows need to find their way to Canada!

• Love 1

For some reason , I ended up watching the last season of this show today and absolutely loved it. I have only watched the pilot in the past. Is it worth it to go back and watch the whole series? It seems like there were some pretty uneven seasons and Jess is by far my least favorite character followed by Cece's husband who I can't stand. 

It's definitely better than HIMYM. I think only 2 episodes of that show ever made me laugh and I finally gave up 2 seasons before it ended. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, pivot said:

For some reason , I ended up watching the last season of this show today and absolutely loved it. I have only watched the pilot in the past. Is it worth it to go back and watch the whole series? It seems like there were some pretty uneven seasons and Jess is by far my least favorite character followed by Cece's husband who I can't stand. 

It's definitely better than HIMYM. I think only 2 episodes of that show ever made me laugh and I finally gave up 2 seasons before it ended. 

Absolutely go back and watch. I will tell you, seasons 1, 2 & 4 are really worth your time. 5 and 6 are complicated because they involve a lot of hiding of pregnant bellies. Three has hits and misses, but it's a bit of a letdown after 2 (which is the best by a mile).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/29/2018 at 2:45 AM, pivot said:

The show is well worth watching from the beginning! I've binged it three times already, and it's always on my list for another viewing, lol. I love Jess and I hope that she grows on you, as well as Schmidt (Cece's husband!) because I find him hilarious. I love the whole cast and find the characters are much more likable than the ones on HIMYM. And they have many side characters that are funny as well. 

• Love 4

I watched the first three seasons of this show as it aired, then gave up because I wasn't enjoying it. I decided to give it a rewatch, now it's on Amazon Prime.

First two seasons - great. So much fun, so many genuinely hilarious moments, and some real heartfelt stuff too.

Third season - Oy. It starts going downhill when Schmidt becomes a sociopath and the others just kind of say, 'ah, it's just Schmidt being Schmidt.' This guy who cheats on Cece and Elizabeth, who then tells Cece that Nick cheated on Jess to protect himself, and then vows to destroy Nick and Jess's relationship out of pure spite at their happiness.

But while it was going downhill, it absolutely falls off a cliff when Coach returns and the writers seemingly forgot how to write any jokes. I'm soldiering on, but had to skip through several episodes until I got to the one where Prince guest starred.

I've been rewatching the show on Netflix and I'm only on S2 so I've been loving how funny the show was in the earlier seasons. The great thing about rewatching is that once I get to the point where the show wasn't as good, I'll be able to skip ahead!

• Love 1

Right, the episode where Nick and Jess break up. It's so absurd that they go from lovey-dovey but with a few minor issues to 'we have nothing in common and no future, we must break up immediately!' It stinks of writing, and I hate it when that happens - A writer needs something to happen, so just shoehorns the plot in even when it makes no sense.

Then a few episodes later, there's a storyline about how Schmidt has never done laundry. What? Schmidt, the obsessive cleaner who gagged at the thought of someone else using his towel? Who always wears clean, ironed clothes?  Who takes the idea of sartorial elegance seriously, and will spend whatever it takes to look the part? That guy has never done laundry? Okay.

• Love 2

Just finished season 5, and I have to comment on Jake Johnson. It's easy to forget, because the guy is so funny and Nick is such a ridiculously broad character at times, but man, he's a good actor.

The little moments where he has to show the depths of Nick's insecurities and vulnerabilities are so good - The scene in the season 5 finale, where he's amazed that Regan could possible want a relationship with "the guy who makes you realise how much better you can do" and then his stunned reaction when Jess yells at him to stop putting himself down, were great. And I still think the best line delivery in the entire show was when he said "I'm a little bit broken, Jess" in the episode with his dad. Just the perfect blend of self-deprecating humour and pain and the pleasure he felt that Jess so clearly cared.

This show really should have been more of a breakout role for him.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I'm watching the new season of Veronica Mars on Hulu and I was happy to see Max Greenfield show up as Leo again. It's so interesting to see both the similarities and differences between Leo and Schmidt. Max Greenfield is so charming that he seems to inject that into all of his roles.

• Love 5
On 6/2/2019 at 9:31 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I've been rewatching the show on Netflix and I'm only on S2 so I've been loving how funny the show was in the earlier seasons. The great thing about rewatching is that once I get to the point where the show wasn't as good, I'll be able to skip ahead!

But "wasn't as good" is still really good. JMHO but I love every season and every episode, really. My advice is to watch them all, you may find you enjoy the "less good" episodes more on rewatch. That's happened to me with other shows.

• Love 2

Lamorne Morris Handcuffed By Police For Filming Friend’s Arrest Outside L.A. Nightclub

The 36-year-old actor and comedian was at Avenue nightclub with a friend, who reportedly got into an altercation with members of the club’s security staff.

According to reports, Morris’ friend’s face was bleeding when police arrived, and they proceeded to handcuff and arrest him.

This did not go over well with Morris, who told police he didn’t understand why his friend was being handcuffed when he was the one who had been attacked.

As police handcuffed Morris’ friend, the actor took video of the incident on his phone — which reportedly led police to handcuff him as well.

Morris said that he was trying to communicate to officers that he and his friends were not the instigators in the fight that took place before police arrived.

I'm really annoyed with TBS.  I know the show isn't on there too often, but they had recently put mini-marathons on early Friday mornings, so I set the DVR to record "Prince" tonight.  About a week ago, I noticed that the pilot was listed instead (and I have the season 1 & 2 DVDs) so I deleted the recording.  They are just showing random episodes tonight, then next week are going back in order, starting with the break-up episode.  If there were ever an episode that needed skipping, it's THAT one. 

(edited)

Decided to finally watch this show or well, re-watch Season 1 and Season 2 and half of Season 3 which I did watch live, and then finally watch the seasons I missed and it's funny to me that so much of Season 3's problems seemed to always be automatically be blamed for Nick/Jess being together when imo the main issue really is everything with Schmidt and the Elizabeth and Cece debacle and them not knowing what to do with Winston still (luckily they figured this out eventually). It definitely is clear that the writers thought they put Nick and Jess together too soon but the way they handled their break-up was genuinely terrible? It didn't at all feel organic, it felt like the writers panicking and realizing they just didn't know how to write for these two characters when they're together anymore and decided to find the laziest way to break them up. Which is kind of shocking because these are the same writers who wrote them in Season 2 in which their build-up is genuinely great and well-done and everything with them post-kiss and them navigating their relationship was wonderful. I would have been fine had they spent an entire season slowly building up as to why Nick and Jess really aren't working out, because I do think they needed to grow individually (especially Nick), and them sadly realizing it and breaking up at the end of the season but instead they do it in all the course of one episode. It's a bit baffling. And then also kind of weird how so much of season 4 post-breakup feels more like them acting like Nick and Jess were some sort of casual hookup than an actual serious relationship? I know months passed after the s3 finale but it feels so odd to me. 

Anyway, my re-watching and then watching future episodes reminded me how much I don't like Schmidt and CeCe as a pairing because he automatically turns into a worse character whenever he's around her but luckily once they FINALLY get them together for good, I liked them more. I'm glad they eventually found their footing with what to do with Winston as a character because he's a gem! And  also watching this also re-ignited my Jake Johnson crush. The fact that he's not starring in a bunch of sweet earnest romantic comedies should be fixed btw. 

Edited by haje
  • Love 3

I'm happy because TBS managed to show the Prince episode this time through the episodes.  They had skipped some recently for some reason--including "Cooler" with the kiss, which is just a stupid thing to do.  Maybe they had originally scheduled that grouping for a particular night and then decided to show something else.  They also didn't show any of the last season, so maybe they don't have the rights.  Anyway, I was glad to see the Prince episode again, though it was very sad to watch for the first time since his passing.  It was said at the time that Prince really liked the show, especially Nick and Jess, and had asked to appear and do something to help them as a couple.  That's cool if true.  Later, after the break-up, I once saw a random comment where someone said Prince had deleted the show from his DVR.  Even though that was just someone being funny, my friend and I used to always say that when we read an episode description we didn't like:  "This is why Prince deleted the show from his DVR."

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm rewatching from S1 and I was totally bowled over by how much I was enjoying it.

But I fear like I'm already headed towards a dip in quality.  I'm at Episode 13 and Lizzy Caplan's character is just godawful.

Justin Long was sooooo wonderful though.  I was sad when his storyline ended.  (For now?  LOL.  I don't remember and I want to be surprised!)

This is the most contrived storyline.  Jess wants a one night stand so she uses Schmidt and forces him to drive her and the ONS back to his place.  Then Jess wants Schmidt to leave.  When Schmidt asks how are you going to get home?  She says I'll take a cab.  THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU TAKE A CAB TO THE ONS'S HOUSE IN THE FIRST PLACE?   In the previous episode she's all about seeing the good everyone then in this one she's treating her friends like this?

Edit:  Ok, the end of the episode was good!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

So, my "binging obsession" was over in Season 3.  

Spoiler

They put Nick and Jess together and then broke them up

And all the tension was released.  The show wasn't as good...... Still good, but I finally went to sleep at normal hours.

I'm on Season 6 now and it's intolerable!  Some of these episodes I can't even watch.  Before that, it was really a great show though.

I had no memory of Damon Wayans Jr. being such a big part of the show.  It's cool how the producers were so flexible to let that happen.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/3/2018 at 2:12 PM, RainbowBrite said:

I've bought both the DVDs and the Blu Rays on Amazon.  They're very affordable.  When I rewatched THAT show I was blown away by how good it is.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
On 6/3/2019 at 8:44 AM, Danny Franks said:

Right, the episode where Nick and Jess break up. It's so absurd that they go from lovey-dovey but with a few minor issues to 'we have nothing in common and no future, we must break up immediately!' It stinks of writing, and I hate it when that happens - A writer needs something to happen, so just shoehorns the plot in even when it makes no sense.

Then a few episodes later, there's a storyline about how Schmidt has never done laundry. What? Schmidt, the obsessive cleaner who gagged at the thought of someone else using his towel? Who always wears clean, ironed clothes?  Who takes the idea of sartorial elegance seriously, and will spend whatever it takes to look the part? That guy has never done laundry? Okay.

Thank you, yes, exactly.

I stopped watching when it first aired within the first few episodes of season 3...I can't remember why but I was probably dreading the Ross/Rachel "we need to break them up for the sake of the show's longevity" factor. Now that I'm binging it, I see I was right.

As you said, the breakup came out of nowhere, absolutely nowhere, after a dozen episodes where they were perfectly happy with each other. And then we get....stories about them dating other people and essentially just treading water. Big letdown.

Kind of like how Cece is so panicked about losing her chance at having kids early in the series, and then proceeds to forget about that completely and just dates casually with no timeline. You can hear the writers going "shoot...we wanted them to be fun singles stumbling through dating...but now we've nearly gotten them to their endgames! Whoopsie! Break 'em up!"

I liked Jess with the British guy....but he was so perfect they wrote him out of the show because again, she could easily marry him and that would wrap things up too fast. So they have him go back to England, stop talking to her and get dumped for "not being there for Jess". Whaaa....? Lazy, contrived writing.

And yeah, Schmidt not being able to do laundry? Pleeeaaasse. How?

But now that I'm in season 5, I see that the writers room has really seen some turnover. The plots are predictable, the humor is just gone mostly and there's cheesy cliche dialogue everywhere.

No spoilers please, because I'm going to try and get to the end, but is Jess on jury duty because Zoey was pregnant or something? Her absence is awkward as hell.

It's mostly a good show but I think it just doesn't want to let the characters move on and grow up.

And I never got into Coach.

Why did Winston turn into such a needy stammering loser? He didn't seem that way initially. Its like the characters rather quickly became "types": Schmidt is the tightly wound funny man, Nick the layabout grumpy underachiever, Winson the....loser?

They just seemed more nuanced earlier on.

I love Tran though. Where did they find that guy?

• Love 2
On 7/16/2021 at 2:12 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Thank you, yes, exactly.

I stopped watching when it first aired within the first few episodes of season 3...I can't remember why but I was probably dreading the Ross/Rachel "we need to break them up for the sake of the show's longevity" factor. Now that I'm binging it, I see I was right.

As you said, the breakup came out of nowhere, absolutely nowhere, after a dozen episodes where they were perfectly happy with each other. And then we get....stories about them dating other people and essentially just treading water. Big letdown.

Kind of like how Cece is so panicked about losing her chance at having kids early in the series, and then proceeds to forget about that completely and just dates casually with no timeline. You can hear the writers going "shoot...we wanted them to be fun singles stumbling through dating...but now we've nearly gotten them to their endgames! Whoopsie! Break 'em up!"

The writers definitely liked to write single, carefree characters and seemed to be stumped whenever the idea of a serious relationship reared its head. There were a lot of awkward and abrupt relationship endings - Nick and Julie, Winston and Shelby, and that other girl who was cheating on him. It always seemed like the show felt far more comfortable playing surface stuff, but I think they did finally realise that they had to let the characters grow up at some point.

No spoilers please, because I'm going to try and get to the end, but is Jess on jury duty because Zoey was pregnant or something? Her absence is awkward as hell.

Yeah, she was pregnant. I guess that was as good a way as any to handle it, but what it really confirmed for me was that I didn't need Jess in the show at all, and found Nick, Schmidt and Winston far more enjoyable.

Why did Winston turn into such a needy stammering loser? He didn't seem that way initially. Its like the characters rather quickly became "types": Schmidt is the tightly wound funny man, Nick the layabout grumpy underachiever, Winson the....loser?

They just seemed more nuanced earlier on.

I think Winston just lacked direction, both in the writing room and within the narrative of the show. I ended up being pretty happy with where he got to in the end, but won't spoil it for you. But I liked how they took his character to the weirdest places they could, and Lamorne made it all work.

• Love 1

Just marathoned this all in the last few months, having never even seen slips but having heard it was great.  They had me when Schmidt put on the silly hat and slapped Spencer in the pilot.  The entire supporting cast is amazing and they all had fantastic but totally unique chemistry in every combination of scene partners.