Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

• Start Topic

I couldn't believe the whole panel agreed on the French poodle question, that never happens. I guess beret was obvious since that's what I said too. I said lip stick for blank stick, but maybe that wouldn't be the first thing a man would think of. I agree with everyone who liked Rob. I loved him on Lights Out. He was having a good time on this show.

I just have to say, I love Ron Funches. He's like an adorable teddy bear.

He was a regular panelist on Lights Out with David Spade. 

He was also a frequent guest on @midnight. That's where I first saw him. His giggle is infectious.

6 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I couldn't believe the whole panel agreed on the French poodle question, that never happens. I guess beret was obvious since that's what I said too.

Kept meaning to come here and say all I could come up with was “a dog with a perm”. Apparently they were all thinking of someone who had only heard the name (French poodle), and I was thinking of someone who had actually seen one. 

• Love 1
On 10/12/2020 at 6:21 PM, iMonrey said:

He was also a frequent guest on @midnight. That's where I first saw him. His giggle is infectious.

That's right! That's probably where I first saw him; I couldn't think of the name of the show. I loved that show, too.

The new episode tonight had to have been filmed about two and a half years ago. There was a reference to Joel Mchale’s Netflix talk show which was cancelled August 2018, and Skylar Astin talking about his marriage to Anna Camp when they divorced in 2019

Edited by gsnrocks92
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, gsnrocks92 said:

There was a reference to Joel Mchale’s Netflix talk show which was cancelled August 2028,

I know you mean 2018, but I still never knew that JM had a talk show.

10 hours ago, gsnrocks92 said:

Skylar Astin talking about his marriage to Anna Camp when they divorced in 2019

I didn't know they divorced either!

And I'm with Caroline, I would've said diabetes.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, gsnrocks92 said:

The new episode tonight had to have been filmed about two and a half years ago. There was a reference to Joel Mchale’s Netflix talk show which was cancelled August 2018, and Skylar Astin talking about his marriage to Anna Camp when they divorced in 2019

Yeah, oddly enough this was production code episode 401, when the rest of the ones this season have all been the ones produced for the fifth season. No idea why they held onto this episode for as long as they did. 

• Useful 1

Weird!  And count me in too as not knowing Skylar had already divorced.  Hollywood lives move much faster than mine.

I thought the answer of "lips" for what Mr. Peanut's cousin makes swell on the Kardashians was better than "butts."  Yes, they're known for their butts, but Kylie's lip kits are hugely popular and a peanut allergy makes your lips swell, not your butt.  (Okay, I'm ashamed I know that about the Kardashians!)

For _____ "Joe"  I guessed "Trader."  We don't have those stores where I live, but it came to mind. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

a peanut allergy makes your lips swell, not your butt. 

I was shouting the same thing at the tv!

10 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

No idea why they held onto this episode for as long as they did. 

Frog.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/30/2020 at 9:02 AM, sugarbaker design said:

I know you mean 2018, but I still never knew that JM had a talk show.

I didn't know they divorced either!

And I'm with Caroline, I would've said diabetes.

TJMSWJM was more like his time of The Soup than a talk show.

Episode 9 is finally up on Hulu now. 

I loved cheerleader contestant Leon’s tie, but how great was that in-air somersault?!

On 10/30/2020 at 8:02 AM, sugarbaker design said:

And I'm with Caroline, I would've said diabetes

All I could think of was “fat,” but I knew that was not PC, even for this show. “Diabetes” is much better. 

I love the way Alec commits to the Gene Rayburn homage by explaining clues with “You see…”

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Because of election coverage, we lost out on a tenth episode for this season that was to be the season finale. As far as I can tell, it's not being rescheduled. There are still four episodes that were produced for the fifth season (509-512) that haven't aired. 

• Useful 1
On 10/29/2020 at 10:39 PM, gsnrocks92 said:

I couldn’t remember when Joel’s show was cancelled but my eyebrows shot up when skylar mentioned Anna being married because I knew they divorced sometime last year. So there has to be a lot of episodes gathering dust and will make no sense by the time they air.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

I couldn’t remember when Joel’s show was cancelled

I forgot all about his Netflix show so thought he had another coming. Nope. His show ran from feb to July in 2018. Just how old are these episodes?

4 hours ago, lynxfx said:

I forgot all about his Netflix show so thought he had another coming. Nope. His show ran from feb to July in 2018. Just how old are these episodes?

Maybe this was originally scheduled to air right after the divorce and was pulled?

On 10/29/2020 at 10:10 PM, ams1001 said:

That's right! That's probably where I first saw him; I couldn't think of the name of the show. I loved that show, too.

He also does the voice for King Shark on the HBO Max Harley Quinn series. (Which is awesome.)  His voice and delivery coming out of that character's mouth are a constant source of amusement.

• Love 1
On 11/14/2020 at 12:02 AM, lynxfx said:

I know someone on the staff. This episode was a holdover from season 4 and was a year older than the rest of them that have aired this season. There was no particular reason this one got held back, other than ABC decided they wanted to air the "Code Blue" Season 5 episode way early instead and this is the one that was bumped.

There are actually three left unaired from Season 5 right now, when you account for Code Blue. 

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

Has MG been cancelled? It wasn't announcement for the summer schedule

Maybe “no news is good news.”  
Or not.

Alec Baldwin hosts and executive produces Match Game, and he has been very busy with other projects (see IMDb).

Plus Covid. 

Yep, it looks like ABC is burning off two previously unaired episodes over the next two weeks.

7/21/21 (We.) 10:00 PM  ABC  (#510) Match Gala - Mario Cantone, Vivica A Fox, Antonio Brown, Hilaria Baldwin, Fred Armisen, Christie Brinkley

7/28/21 (We.) 10:00 PM ABC   (#512) Horatio Sanz, Marilu Henner, Michael Colter, Ali Wentworth, Justin Long, Drea de Matteo

The 7/28 episode is listed as the "season finale". 

• Useful 3
(edited)

Alta is Phoebe Waller Bridges’ doppelgänger!

My word-Hilaria Baldwin has an annoying voice! It would difficult to concentrate if she were leading a yoga class. I wonder if she was a last minute replacement for a celebrity who had to cancel.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 4

The "gala" intros were fun. Even if Antonio Brown's suit was making my eyes go a little buggy.

Christie Brinkley is 67 years old... she looks great but I get the feeling her face is frozen in that smile.

I, too, said both "It" and "Yourself" for "Get Over ___"; and matched Mario Cantone with Key West

Loved the "least fashionable gay man in America"...everyone's dressed all fancy and he's in a sweater over a checked button down shirt.

I said Alec's first breakup was by telegram, but Fred's answer of "cave drawing" cracked me up.

Wow, they had a lot of time for shenanigans in that second game, didn't they?

• Love 3
(edited)

Christie Brinkley scared me.  Kudos to her for looking so good at 67, but that big hat didn't hide the Botox blankness.  But you know what?  She's famous for being a model, not an actress needing to express emotions, so she's on brand.  And who cares what I think, hopefully she's pleasing herself with her choices.

Edited to add: OK.  I take all that ^^^ back.  Her face still creeps me out, but I first posted after only seeing the first part of the show.  Later on, she was unexpectedly clever: "Rhymes with 'rotary phone'!" "Suck it in and saunter, saunter, saunter!". 

Edited by HurricaneVal
  • Love 5
(edited)

This is the first time I’ve seen Christie Brinkley with a bad Botox reaction. I guess the hat was an attempt to minimize the effect. But it seemed to motivate her to be extra witty to make up for it.  

15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I said Alec's first breakup was by telegram, but Fred's answer of "cave drawing" cracked me up.

“Carrier pigeon” was my first guess; “telegraph” was my second.
Christie Brinkley’s “carved in stone” was good too.

Vivivca A. Fox was totally channeling Brett Somers from the OG Match Game.

A couple of Baldwin babies ago, I had read some really catty Tweets about Hilaria Baldwin’s supposed fake accent, so I was surprised that nobody had mentioned her annoyingly squeaky voice. Odd. Hopefully not all 6 of the kids inherit that voice. And hopefully she isn’t really hating herself for going on national TV on her husband’s show that seemingly requires raising your voice. I had a dear friend with the same voice pitch, but she rarely spoke above a whisper in regular conversation, so it wasn’t obvious —or annoying. 
I thought Hilaria‘s “snail mail” was cute; I guess she could come back if she doesn’t talk very much.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

The Princess contestant got really lucky with the butter factory question, because there was really only one definitive answer to that question. The one about the break-up had a multitude of possibilities: pony express, telegraph, cave drawings, smoke signals, etc. Even rotary phone wasn't a terrible answer. He was never going match all six on the yogurt question either. That was a hard one. But the Princess really crapped out on the bonus match. There are a ton of good answers for "Straight _" too but "Straight Gangsta?" Yoy.

Lot's of possibilities for "Key _" too: Key Largo, Key Ingredient - but I thought of Key West too.

• Love 5

I thought "key hole."  For Alec's breakup I thought "stone tablet."  The yogurt dress question was a hard one.

I loved that Mario Cantone acknowledged that the answers are supposed to try to match, not just be witty!

• Love 4
(edited)

I was so sure the answer was Key Lime Pie
--which I guess is Key West-adjacent, but not so close that the judges would have matched it with "Key West."

I was liking that the judges were looser with the matching, although I bet some viewers thought it was wrong. But toast is bread. If the contestant had said "toast," bread would not have matched, right?

What was the other questionable match?

Edited by shapeshifter

For the butter question, I didn't think of bread at all. I came up with baked potato and tub of popcorn.

Sorry Antonio but that straight is not what goes with jacket. You want strait.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

For the butter question, I didn't think of bread at all. I came up with baked potato and tub of popcorn.

But in the clue the word "spreading" was involved.  Appropriate for a baked potato but not for a tub of popcorn.

Regarding the butter clue, I went back and forth between "English Muffin" and "bread".  I guess I shouldn't have gotten too fancy!

Did anyone else think there were a higher than usual number of pairs of clues where one contestant got a much "easier" one (had a more obvious answer) and the other had a bigger variety of possible answers?  I know the first contestant gets to pick (A or B) so there's some luck involved there,  and maybe they did that on purpose to lower the chance of ties, but it just seemed like a bigger disparity than I'd noticed before.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I can't remember what the answer was but I think it was Christie and I was thinking "just give it to 'em because it's not going to change the outcome of the game."

• Love 1
On 11/24/2020 at 9:22 AM, lambertman said:

There are actually three left unaired from Season 5 right now, when you account for Code Blue. 

So two of them have now been accounted for (this week's episode and next week's episode).

There's still one episode (509) that hasn't been shown. 

11 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I keep trying (even before this Hilaria b.s.) to cut Alec Baldwin some slack, but really bring her on the show?

I couldn't help wondering if someone couldn't make it at the last minute. I know pretty much zero about Hilaria Baldwin, except that she's married to Alec and they have a bunch of kids. I googled her and read a bit about her scandalous story and was like...what? This is so dumb.

• Love 3

Who knows if/when they will do another season. This is the kind of show that really demands a live audience, and it doesn't seem like they're going to be able to do that for awhile. 

• Love 2

That's true. I think with "To Tell The Truth" they've been kind of subtly inserting fake audience laughter in there to simulate there being an audience, but Match Game really depends on the audience laughing at the panelists' answers. 

• Love 1

There have been a few shows I've followed that I can't imagine I would've kept track of if they hadn't been deposited in my Hulu queue automatically.  I hope there's some news of a new season, 10 or 13 simple weeks in a row perhaps, soon.

Interesting to see Hillary Baldwin from Boston on this one.  Her Spanish shtick was certainly less pronounced than when, for instance, she did a cooking segment on "Today" and pointed at a cucumber wondering "how you say in English."

On 7/22/2021 at 11:39 AM, shapeshifter said:

I didn't mind "toast" matching "bread."  But I don't think "pluck" and "play" should have matched when the question was "my girlfriend is in a string quartet but I don't mind because she always wants to _____ me."  The point of that was the wordplay and the contestant didn't get it.  If I were judging, that would be no match.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

But I don't think "pluck" and "play" should have matched when the question was "my girlfriend is in a string quartet but I don't mind because she always wants to _____ me."  The point of that was the wordplay and the contestant didn't get it.  If I were judging, that would be no match.

I vaguely recall Gene Rayburn explaining on an old rerun that the Rule of Thumb was supposed to be the "all kittens are cats but not all cats are kittens" logic. So, "pluck" matches the contestant's "play," but the the reverse would not be a match.

• Love 4

I only know Justin Long from that series of commercials (I forgot for what product!), so I was pleasantly surprised by his appearance last night.  He was delightful.  And he was sitting next to the equally delightful Ali Wentworth.  The two of them were quite entertaining.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I only know Justin Long from that series of commercials (I forgot for what product!), so I was pleasantly surprised by his appearance last night.  He was delightful.  And he was sitting next to the equally delightful Ali Wentworth.  The two of them were quite entertaining.

Agreed. Justin Long's antics were better than anything I've been seeing on SNL.

• Love 4

I only know Justin Long from that series of commercials (I forgot for what product!), so I was pleasantly surprised by his appearance last night.  He was delightful.  And he was sitting next to the equally delightful Ali Wentworth. 

The commercials were for Mac computers, and John Hodgman played PC. I think the movies he's best known for are Galaxy Quest, Jeepers Creepers and Dodgeball. But he's done a ton of others.

However, I found Ali Wentworth a trifle cringe-worthy. I don't know if she really was that drunk but the way she was crawling all over him and pawing him made me uncomfortable. 

Marilu Henner's post-Taxi career consisted mainly of shilling her books about healthy/organic living so it's pretty ironic to see how much poisonous Botox she's injected into her face and how much plastic surgery she's had. 

Drea  de Matteo, on the other hand, looks fabulous.

• Love 6