Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

• Start Topic

Yes, next Sunday's episode is going to be a repeat as well. Not sure if they'll resume with new episodes in August. There don't appear to be any episodes scheduled as of yet. 

Btw, I lowkey kinda have a crush on the jump rope girl in this episode. She was super cute. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DB in CMH said:

Another repeat? Get the fuck out of here, ABC. Just pull the show already and save it for fall because this one week new, one week repeat bullshit is a waste of time.

LOL at this. I'm all about this show being repeats since my antenna dropped ABC three months ago and I just got it back. So all those reruns are new runs for me. Can't wait to see more oldies. Or, in my case, newies.

• Love 3

Last night's episode was my least favorite so far.  Dumb answers and dumb writing, for the most part.  And, whoever that Kym person is, I found her very obnoxious.  I also don't know who she is or what she's been in, but don't really care. Why does Caitlyn Jenner always give such out there answers?  Is that the way she really thinks, or is she just trying to be different than everybody else? 

Although it is sometimes fun to hear answers that you hadn't thought of, when you thought yours was the only answer it could be.  On the Rapunzel-as-a-rapper question, I thought the only two reasonable possibilities could be that she'd drop a beat or sick rhymes.  There were two "beat" answers and everyone else said "mic."   It reminds me not to be so arrogant -- sometimes what I think is obvious is not and people think in different ways, no single one may be the only right answer. 

1 hour ago, Cowgirl said:

Why does Caitlyn Jenner always give such out there answers?  Is that the way she really thinks, or is she just trying to be different than everybody else? 

Caitlyn Jenner is an out of touch rich person. And bad at this sort of game. I don't think she's conniving enough for it to be a calculated move.

• Love 2

Another repeat? Get the fuck out of here, ABC. Just pull the show already and save it for fall because this one week new, one week repeat bullshit is a waste of time.

Golf ran overtime so everything was bumped back in my time zone. That's probably why a repeat was scheduled. ABC doesn't want to burn a new episode on a night when most people are bound to miss it because the schedule is all out of whack. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

Caitlyn Jenner is an out of touch rich person. And bad at this sort of game. I don't think she's conniving enough for it to be a calculated move.

Agree totally with this. Her not-so-smarts were reinforced when she wrote "latter" for what Rapunzel dropped out of her tower. (Suppose to be "ladder.")

I was a "mic" person for what I thought she dropped.

That Kardashian gardening question was such a missed opportunity- most of the contestants landed on "manure", which was a fine answer- but it's a shame no one thought of the best answer which was "hoes". 🙂 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

That Kardashian gardening question was such a missed opportunity- most of the contestants landed on "manure", which was a fine answer- but it's a shame no one thought of the best answer which was "hoes". 🙂 

"Hoes" is better than "weeding" IMO, although I think "manure" was best.
I thought of "cutting" --as in the original Keeping Up With The Ks had to cut a lot of recorded crap (manure) whereas Keeping Up With The K's Gardener would have a lot of real cutting because I assume they have obscenely huge amounts of lawn and grounds to care for. 
But I would have lost with my oh-so-clever answer.

The Futon Critic website says that there are still at least six episodes that were produced that have yet to air. I wonder if ABC is holding them back to September, because they know that nothing else is probably going to be finished in time to start airing then. 

Edit: Just noticed that one of the episodes that hasn't aired has Chris D'Elia in it. (Pulls on collar nervously, Charles Nelson Reilly-style) 

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm assuming last night was a rerun, but it was new to me. For the Beatles song about Paul's privates, I thought the obvious answer was Norwegian Wood. Great answer, not a match. Oh well.

For the menu question, I thought the DWTS judges would have scored the peppers a 10, not "spicy." I'm a loser again.

The antenna dropped the station for the question about getting the knight out of his armor. I said she would have used a magnet, but based on my previous answers, I'm guessing no one said that either.

54 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I'm assuming last night was a rerun, but it was new to me. For the Beatles song about Paul's privates, I thought the obvious answer was Norwegian Wood. Great answer, not a match. Oh well.

For the menu question, I thought the DWTS judges would have scored the peppers a 10, not "spicy." I'm a loser again.

The antenna dropped the station for the question about getting the knight out of his armor. I said she would have used a magnet, but based on my previous answers, I'm guessing no one said that either.

I answered this here: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/98280-season-4-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=6307038

• Love 1

Is there some significance to the number 58 or are they just celebrating a random number for the hell of it? Either way, I had fun watching.

Given the show, I thought they would have Jack McBrayer in the trunk...

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I wish they'd explain why they went with a celebration for 58. Obviously it's meant to be random as hell and a joke on celebrating 100/200/etc. episodes, but why 58? Why not 53 or 59 (prime numbers) or 62 (Alec's age, also the year the original show premiered) or some other number with a meaning?

My Hulu recording was being a PITA last night, and kept hanging up with about ten minutes left in the show. I'll have to try again today to watch the end.

1 hour ago, dvr devotee said:

I wish they'd explain why they went with a celebration for 58. Obviously it's meant to be random as hell and a joke on celebrating 100/200/etc. episodes, but why 58? Why not 53 or 59 (prime numbers) or 62 (Alec's age, also the year the original show premiered) or some other number with a meaning?

Long shot: Alec was 58 when he began hosting the Match Game
More likely: A writer's mother-in-law's birthday

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

Alec said "because 57 was too obvious." 🤷🏻‍♀️

(or something like that)

• Love 3

Okay, first of all, when was this recorded?  Pre-covid?  Because of the Zoom call.  Had anyone heard of Zoom before?  But I have to say, this was the first one I've seen where, for the first segment, there were absolute, no question, definite answers (in my mind, at least).  Phone for the bra question (I would have said cell phone, but I guess that's assumed now), pot of gold for the bathtub (those were Lucky Charms, right?), see you in Hell, and Jack Black (maybe just because "blank" was so close to "black").  For the "Blank (blank)" one, I'm surprised the audience was old enough to know what checks were.  And for the woman in the 2nd segment, good for her for losing all that weight, but can we stop with the "heart" hands?

8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

For the "Blank (blank)" one, I'm surprised the audience was old enough to know what checks were.

I came up with check, book, and page in that order.

15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, first of all, when was this recorded?  Pre-covid?

Jerry Ferrara's baby was born in May 2019. Pretty sure they implied he was just born recently, in which case it was definitely filmed a while ago. (Also if it was recent there wouldn't have been any hugging when she won.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, first of all, when was this recorded?  Pre-covid?  Because of the Zoom call.  Had anyone heard of Zoom before?

It was definitely recorded pre-COVID, as others have said.  I was surprised it was specifically a "Zoom call," though.  We have been using Zoom in my office for a few years but I would've expected it just to be called a video call, both because not everyone knew what Zoom was then and because brand names are often omitted.

I thought the "58th Episode Celebration" was just a for-the-hell-of-it bit with no particular significance.  They've done a few of these themed shows, just to do something different.  A really obnoxious game show blogger I follow begrudgingly had an entry several weeks ago, which made no sense to me, in which he complained about "ABC congratulating themselves in the trade journals for achieving 58 episodes."  He tried to parse that number at great length, in between scoffing that they needn't be so pleased with themselves.  Now I have a better idea of what he was talking about.  What a windbag.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

For the "Blank (blank)" one

For “Blank _____” I initially “drew a blank,” heh. 
12 hours and a night’s sleep later, I’m thinking “Blank look.”  
Or maybe a clever answer for the show would have been “Blanked out.”

• Love 1
On 9/25/2020 at 6:51 AM, dvr devotee said:

It's been 58 years since it premiered?

• Useful 2

Okay, first of all, when was this recorded?  Pre-covid?  Because of the Zoom call.  Had anyone heard of Zoom before? 

My company has been using Zoom for years, although we've had all kinds of problems with it. We were all amazed when it became the most-used video conferencing software during the pandemic because we all thought it kind of sucked.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I love Thomas's reactions to the stupid answers. (He had a lot to react to tonight.)

And Thomas Lennon successfully pulled off seemingly effortless active physical comedy (with the nerf football).

I loathe Doctor Whatshisname with the fury of a thousand nuns on his fake medical show, but he was fine as a game show contestant. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I didn't understand either of the "meme" questions. I could not think of a definitive answer for the picture of the Baldwin brothers. I did think of waxing although only two of them were hairy. I couldn't think of a good answer for the one with Cheryl Hines either. I did think it was hysterical her first job was playing Janet Leigh in the Psycho shower scene for the Universal Studios tour.

My first thought for "Change of _ " was Scenery. Can't believe it wasn't up there. Never even thought of Change of Heart.

• Love 2

Seems like they are trying to keep the first round questions so vague that no one sweeps or nearly sweeps the panel. The producers and the celebs probably prefer to have everyone participate as much as possible. 

That said, the contestants continue to give the most wtf answers. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I could not think of a definitive answer for the picture of the Baldwin brothers.

I thought “shower” because their state of undress and the setting looked like that’s what was about to happen. But when I was young hairy male chests were supposed to be attractive. 

22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And Thomas Lennon successfully pulled off seemingly effortless active physical comedy (with the nerf football).

Thomas did show some speed. Alex was dead on when he said streaker. But I was upset by Alex making fun of Shannon's accent. She appeared uncomfortable by his mean spirited teasing.

For the Meryl Streep question I would have said Depends commercial.

• Love 1

For "forget 'let's get physical,' let's get _____,", I might've said "animal," as in the Olivia Newton-John song.  After you get physical, you get animal.  I would've been back on the Greyhound in no time. 😉

The lady with the accent did seem a little uncomfortable when she was teased, and I feel Alec was maybe a little too condescending, but several seasons in, I think you ought to be prepared for the usual kinds of things.  She also seemed manifestly unimpressed with some of the more ribald chitchat.  I almost wondered whether she'd seen the show before.

Then I remembered that some of it makes me roll my eyes, and I'm not under pressure and the lights, so she can have a pass.  I like Sherri on balance but she needs to tone it down sometimes.  You had better believe none of the men on that panel would ever talk about tying up a woman and taking her home.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, lynxfx said:

Seems like they are trying to keep the first round questions so vague that no one sweeps or nearly sweeps the panel. The producers and the celebs probably prefer to have everyone participate as much as possible. 

That said, the contestants continue to give the most wtf answers. 

The wife and I were thinking the same thing. I get that people can get uncomfortable and between the lights and: "Holy crap these are real people I am a fan of." It can put things down, but other times you just want to go: "Have you either seen this show or you know TALK to people?" I mean really, the tall the woman from Chicago, I can pass the bathtub picture because between that and the Baldwin picture, those are hard things to think of answer too. As for the seagulls and the pizza, I mean come on! Tokens? Yeah, I get Tom's answer with the trash, because eat anything that is edible, but tokens? They are birds that fly over the water and the main thing they do is dive for fish, I mean come on! However, Mayberry woman and wanting to use the money to go find the Locness Monster. I think even TPTB were: "I think we need to find people who at least watch the news."

• Love 1

Am I the only person anywhere who said the dumb person thought that dog was called a French poodle because of its ... not beret, but its ... big tongue?

I wouldn't have matched anyone, but Alec would have liked it I tend to believe.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Am I the only person anywhere who said the dumb person thought that dog was called a French poodle because of its ... not beret, but its ... big tongue?

I thought beret or accent.

50 minutes ago, ams1001 said:
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I thought beret or accent.

29 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I thought glass of red wine, cigarette & baguette.

I thought bad haircut.
Alec would have said dismissively that I didn't get it.

• Love 1

You can say "blow your load" on broadcast TV now, huh? 

Funny that in today's streaming age, "basic cable" is no longer a thing that springs to anyone's mind, yet "Basic Instinct", a movie from 1992, still is. Sharon Stone's crotch shot will live forever I guess!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I thought of chapeau instead of beret so I'm glad I wasn't playing. 

You can say "blow your load" on broadcast TV now, huh? 

And yet they blurred out one of Joel's answers which was almost certainly "dick." Go figure.

5 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I was thinking "cock".

I thought the panel was quite good this week, they seemed to play nicely together.

I did, too but it was definitely one or the other.

The only panelist I didn't know was Rob(?); I looked at his IMDB page and there are a ton of familiar titles of shows I don't watch.

I just have to say, I love Ron Funches. He's like an adorable teddy bear.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I just have to say, I love Ron Funches. He's like an adorable teddy bear.

He was a regular panelist on Lights Out with David Spade. That was my first introduction to him and really liked him. Glad to see him here. 

I did pretty good this ep. Seemed to always match with the majority. The final clue blank stick had way too many possibilities. I went with Match Stick. The credits showed Joel rattling off a ton of answers. That contestant got the last good laugh though. "Just to be clear my wife has 2 eyes." Lol

• Love 3