Type keyword(s) to search

Don't - General Discussion

screengem
  • Start Topic

dont.jpeg.04e72a8671a9610bccff2cd1b87497fd.jpeg(premiering June 11 at 9/8c) will feature “hilarious, unexpected moments that break from the traditional game show format,” as teased in the trailer above. Four-member teams will tackle oddball challenges, like “Don’t blink,” “Don’t Look Back” and “Don’t Play Ball in the House.” Accomplished missions will earn money in team bank accounts, while failed challenges will force players to suffer some very silly consequences. Contestants can also test their fearlessness by selecting risky options like the “Don’t Push” button or a “Don’t You Dare, You” challenge. In the end, teams will keep the money remaining in their bank, if anything is left at all.

Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation, Big Little Lies) hosts, while Reynolds serves as executive producer and lends his voice.

Nor for me.  I watched the lengthy ad with "Don't Get Tired."  It was a cute visual, but watching those four idiots from Joizey squawk about how they were sure Obama was the 47th president, they had no idea where Hawaii was, etc. bored and infuriated me in equal parts.  Talk about dumbing down.  I can't root for contestants like these and am not sure why some of these shows think we want to keep seeing them.  At any rate, I've always liked Adam Scott, and it endears him further to me to see him take a stab at one of my favorite genres while he still has quite a lot of work as an actor, but I won't be able to support him in this project.  Godspeed, Adam.  Don't spend the salary all in one place.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm torn.  The challenges were kind of stupid and the contestants kind of annoying but the running commentary was pretty funny.

Adam Scott is a good host but it made me wish he had a better show.  Yet, I might be back because, as I said, the running commentary worked for me.

I especially laughed at the voiceover after one of the questions about how often the summer Olympics take place.  The contestants had to pull down the right number which, of course, was supposed to be four.  Then the voiceover came on to explain how this was filmed in 2019 which was a different time.

• Love 5

I like Adam Scott, but I think I'll stick with him as an actor. He's a good host, but the contestants leave much to be desired. Guess he needs the $$$. Not for me either.

• Useful 1

That family especially the women were cringe worthy.  

I love Ryan Reynolds, but that was a LOT of running commentary from him to the point it was exhausting.  I did have to laugh when he said "this was filmed in 2019 when it was a different time."  But I'm surprised he didn't make any cracks about that Other Ryan from Canada (Gosling.) 

Was it good? Meh.  But there's nothing else on so I'll watch if I remember it's on. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I actually watched most of this last night.    I hated the big mouthed sister that kept nagging the brother (I guess sister and brother) to keep eating the hot peppers, and not drink anything to stop the burning.   I really was hoping when he puked it all up, it would be right on her head.  

I cringed when that guy touched the pepper and then rubbed his eye. Ouchy mama. 

Show was middle of the road. The commentary had some good lines and the lady getting sucker clocked after the game ended was fun. The dont blink lady sure had some crazy eyes. 

I'll try another ep. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, lynxfx said:

.....the lady getting sucker clocked after the game ended was fun.

That was the highlight of the show for me.

They could have maybe started with a less obnoxious family.

Unless they were a less obnoxious family, in which case, I might not be able to watch another episode. 

• LOL 4
(edited)

The structure of the show was horrible as there was no real risk involved with any of the games (except for the whole thing with the button where you could get double the entire amount of the game, or lose half of what you win if you don’t get the whole amount). Like when they are in the final game and they’ve already won over $80k why am I supposed to get excited over whether they get an extra $10k or not? The show didn’t really build to anything, they just played a bunch of random stunts and then the show ended.

That being said the game structure isn’t really the focus here, and I appreciate they went the silly route with these people instead of forcing an inspirational sob story like many prime time game shows do. It is fine for what it is and had some funny moments. Probably wouldn’t go out of the way to watch it again, but would turn it on as background noise if I am home.

Edited by gsnrocks92

I'm getting bored with this show already, and Ryan's snarking isn't enough to get me through it. 

His comment about "Will we ever get to see stuff thrown at her face? You clearly don't know modern competition shows do you?" was painfully true. If they had cut the padding and camera mugging in half, they would have easily had time for another challenge. Cut the prize amounts more and they wouldn't even be risking any more money. 

Got around to watching the first episode.  Ryan Reynolds' voiceovers completely make the show.  He's hilarious.  I think of him as a huge action movie star now, but I remember that he got his start on "Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place".

The family was utterly irritating, especially the loud sister-in-law that was wearing black.  I also agree that the questions were way too easy.

On 6/12/2020 at 9:27 PM, lynxfx said:

Show was middle of the road. The commentary had some good lines and the lady getting sucker clocked after the game ended was fun. The dont blink lady sure had some crazy eyes. 

Just like with "Holey Moley", I am in it to see people get hit by stuff.  I found her so annoying, I kept rooting for her to get hit by that thing.  I can't remember if she was the same one that got tired or if it was her sister (the guy's wife who was wearing red).

My son and I watched this together and decided that it's a better than "Holey Moley".

• Love 1

I usually fast forward throuhg most of the nongame stuff. But I did watch the Don't Push Button biography this time and I laughed a bit that when he was in Scotland, he had a backpack with  the Canadian flag on it, like a cliched American traveller. 🙂

• Love 1

Agreed!  I looked up and noticed that, at one point before the "woo" meter was "broken," at least 5 woos went by without being tallied. (I apparently need a life!) I love Ryan's commentary and the fake commercials.  

It was amusing, in a "background noise with a couple laughs" sort of way, but way too little content vs filler. There wasn't really any drama in the one I watched other than, for example, the family nagging Reagan not to drink when he already wasn't going to drink. It wasn't even editing drama...it was just people talking at each other.

I liked the Williams family, the siblings had a great dynamic.  They reminded me of the Linz family from the long ago Family Edition of Amazing Race, also was three brothers and a sister.  The Woo counter was funny.

I find the "Don't Drink" task a bit boring to watch because I don't think I've seen anyone fail yet.  This is the one where I think the family should ALWAYS use the "Don't Push" button because it seems like guaranteed 40K if the person doing it can tolerate spice and has willpower.  Many of the other ones where I've seen it pushed relies on the crapshoot of random trivia questions.  The only other game where I think the "Don't Push" button should be more of a guarantee is the one where they have to identify whether celebrities are a bird or not.

• Love 1

Yeah, Don't Drink is the gimmeest task they do. As you said, no one failed it and it is by far the easiest Don't Push the Button bonus to get. 

The Don't Turn the Car around (the road trip) is also an easy cash task worthy of the Don't Push button. 

The Bird task is more difficult, (especially if you aren't into celebrities) but otherwise it's probably the third easiest task to do. 

The Dance one is moderately difficult but is doable if your family knows dances. It's one to seriously consider the button on. 

Don't Play with Matches is one to NOT use the button on. It's too random, and while fun to watch, it's almost impossible to get a lot of hits on. Do take the Don't Double Dare on it though; the extra match doesn't make much of a difference. 

Any tasks with random trivia knowledge (some of which rely on surveys which makes them even more random) should just be endured (though they are fun to watch when they aren't drawn out too much). Those ones you should never use the button on unless you're at the end. 

Finally, the sports tasks, Don't Play Ball in the House and the basketball version; they're a bit random but worth taking a risk on the button if you're later on in the game. 

• Love 1