Type keyword(s) to search

Giada de Laurentiis: It's "Rrrrrrrricohta" You Barbarian!

• Start Topic

How on earth do we not have an individual thread for Giada here?  There's so much to snark on (and so much that happens in other threads).

I was prompted to start this by reading Yelp reviews of her new Vegas restaurant that just opened.  While most are very complimentary of the food and decor, I was struck by some who talked about how Giada's narcissism is evident everywhere.  Like this, from Ryan L:

I guess if you're gonna run episodes of Everyday Italian and Giada at Home on an endless loop on flat screens above the bar, it better be Giada's place. I mean, why the hell wouldn't she do that? As we ate I was able to watch an easy-to-make peas and prosciutto dish. So I got food and education!

The menu has phonetic pronunciations of all the pastas. In case you're an idiot, they're right there for you. Thanks, Giada.  Also, there are self-portraits of her all over the walls

Or this from Daniel B:

Sure,  it's a monument to narcissism.    Giada  (who I admittedly have no idea who she is or what she does) seems to be "the leader" to a throng of rabid followers.  Her image is plastered over every element of the space.   It's over the top and obscene.   So no, we didn't splurge for the autographed photo-menu of Giada.

An autographed photo menu?  Sigh.  I don't know why I'm surprised really.

• Love 6

Heh. I think I love the fact that the menu has phonetic pronunciations of all the pastas. That's freaking fantastic.

I follow Alton and Giada on Twitter and realize that she is very self aware what she's doing with the overly precise pronunciations.  Alton razzes her about it all the time, and she takes it in good humor. For whatever reason, that's one of her "things", and she's sticking with it.

So the fact that they found a way to incorporate it into her Las Vegas restaurant impresses the hell out of me.

I read on another thread, I think, that some people reported that the servers at "Giada" wouldn't bring you the food if you didn't pronounce the name correctly.  I thought that was probably apocryphal, because how would they stay in business if that were the case, but the fact that the pronunciations are on the menu give that claim more credence.

• Love 1

I read on another thread, I think, that some people reported that the servers at "Giada" wouldn't bring you the food if you didn't pronounce the name correctly.  I thought that was probably apocryphal, because how would they stay in business if that were the case, but the fact that the pronunciations are on the menu give that claim more credence.

That was me, and I was just being silly.

There was a feature article about Giada and her new restaurant in the Parade Sunday.  The cover picture was actually quite nice as she was smiling like a normal person instead of baring all 126 teeth.  If I had not been familiar with her in any other context, I would have been impressed.

• Love 1

Heh. I think I love the fact that the menu has phonetic pronunciations of all the pastas. That's freaking fantastic.

I follow Alton and Giada on Twitter and realize that she is very self aware what she's doing with the overly precise pronunciations.  Alton razzes her about it all the time, and she takes it in good humor. For whatever reason, that's one of her "things", and she's sticking with it.

So the fact that they found a way to incorporate it into her Las Vegas restaurant impresses the hell out of me.

Reminds me of Aaron Sanchez, who was born and raised in the United States, but still manages an over-the-top Mexican accent.

• Love 4

I can't stand Giada's exaggerated pronounciations of some words.  It is one of the many things I find irritating about her.

And when she hisses through her teeth when she is being snotty to a contestant she does not like.  She seems to think that she is all that and a bag of chips, but I have yet to find anyone who likes her, especially if they watch NFNS.

• Love 3
(edited)

I read on another thread, I think, that some people reported that the servers at "Giada" wouldn't bring you the food if you didn't pronounce the name correctly. I thought that was probably apocryphal, because how would they stay in business if that were the case, but the fact that the pronunciations are on the menu give that claim more credence.

Wish there was a eye rolling emoticon right now. I'm going to barf. If I was at that restaurant I'd tell them if I don't get my food you're not getting my money.

Reminds me of Aaron Sanchez, who was born and raised in the United States, but still manages an over-the-top Mexican accent.

That's another one I want to smack. I'm Greek and I don't make my non Greek friends pronounce foods correctly or they don't eat.

Edited by SusannahTaylor3
  • Love 2

If her restaurant actually does that, 1. I think she's not very smart, and 2. I'd be so tempted to order every damn thing on the menu, nail the pronunciations, and walk out before it got to the table.  Anyone who knows me knows this is so NOT my 'style'... but my lord, how snobbish and rude. Granted I don't know if its true but it frustrates me to even think it might be. 

• Love 2

That was me, and I was just being silly.

• Love 1

When we travel to Vegas, there are many celebrity chef's restaurants on our list. Giada's is certainly not on that list. Between her scary, fake toothy smile, and her snottiness towards those contestants she deems unworthy of her praise, she has turned us off to ever wanting to experience anything related to her, especially if our pronunciation is not up to her and her servers standards! I can just imagine being told by some snooty waiter that he won't bring my dish unless I pronounce it to his approval.

• Love 1

Some of the best food in Vegas is off the strip, in little out of the way places. I do, however, love Gallagher's Steakhouse at New York New York.

I won't set foot in anything to do with Giada, she just rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 2
If her restaurant actually does that, 1. I think she's not very smart, and 2. I'd be so tempted to order every damn thing on the menu, nail the pronunciations, and walk out before it got to the table.  Anyone who knows me knows this is so NOT my 'style'... but my lord, how snobbish and rude. Granted I don't know if its true but it frustrates me to even think it might be.

I want to eat the food. I don't want an Italian lesson.

I hate her rictus smile. It scares me and reminds me of a scary movie called Sardonica that I saw when I was a kid.

Mr. SARDONICUS! Scared the he'll out of me when I was a kid, and nobody I knew ever heard of it.

Yeah, same smile.

• Love 2

From the review:

"Her words, familiar to her television audience, are even repeated in six chandeliers around the dining room, cut out in silhouette so that light beams from behind: “I eat a little bit of Everything and not a lot of Anything.”

Oh good crikey on a flatbread, JAH-duh, I don't give two craps how you eat. I can figure out how to eat food, thanks; I don't need a silhouette bumper sticker reminding me of how I'm supposed to not only want your food, but want to be like you in every other possible way: eat like you, talk like you, etc.

Also, that's some pretentious capitalization going on there. Are you trying to make your diet into poetry that way?

• Love 3

Oh good crikey on a flatbread, JAH-duh, I don't give two craps how you eat. I can figure out how to eat food, thanks; I don't need a silhouette bumper sticker reminding me of how I'm supposed to not only want your food, but want to be like you in every other possible way: eat like you, talk like you, etc.

You should get her new book.  You can learn how to do yoga like her, brush your teeth like her, wash and condition your hair like her, wash your face like her.  Even how to have lazy Sundays at home like her.  I wish I was kidding; I got the book for Christmas.

• Love 1

You should get her new book.  You can learn how to do yoga like her, brush your teeth like her, wash and condition your hair like her, wash your face like her.  Even how to have lazy Sundays at home like her.  I wish I was kidding; I got the book for Christmas.

So she's trying to be a "lifestyle expert" like Martha Stewart and others? I am very skeptical about how well that will work for her.

So she's trying to be a "lifestyle expert" like Martha Stewart and others? I am very skeptical about how well that will work for her.

I guess you could put it that way.  But she sort of takes it to a new level, I think.  In some of the articles I read during the time the book came out, she mentions that she's asked all the time "How do you stay so trim??", and is often asked basically how she is so gorgeous and fabulous and happily married.  Asked so often, in fact, she decided it was time to gift the world with the knowledge.  It very much is Giada's routines, not a general "good thing" like Martha Stewart might show you.  I know Martha sometimes veers into that territory with her "favorites", but still, if she tells you her favorite facial cleanser, she leaves it to you how to best use it.  Giada doesn't.  She shows you (with pictures) exactly how she washes her face.  I've never really seen anything exactly like it.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 2

If her tooth-brushing method resulted in nice straight teeth like she has, I'd sign up. 

This was one of the hair-raising sections of the book for me!  You are probably right, those chompers are probably straight, but I can't look directly at them because they scare me too much.

• Love 2

In some of the articles I read during the time the book came out, she mentions that she's asked all the time "How do you stay so trim??", and is often asked basically how she is so gorgeous and fabulous and happily married.  Asked so often, in fact, she decided it was time to gift the world with the knowledge.

Whoo boy. So disturbing. And sad. Food Network/the media has created a real princess there.

I find it so creepy whenever women get grilled about their weight and the interviewers just hang on every word as though the poor woman had a secret whispered to her from g*d. It's a combination of genes, exercise/eating habits and (for the celebs) photoshop. Really, people, this shouldn't be news. Leave the woman alone and stop acting like she has some magic goddess-given trick. Creepysauce.

Those teeth, though, are freaking fair game. Who is the name of her prosthodontist? I don't ever want to visit that office.

I guess you could put it that way. But she sort of takes it to a new level, I think. In some of the articles I read during the time the book came out, she mentions that she's asked all the time "How do you stay so trim??", and is often asked basically how she is so gorgeous and fabulous and happily married. Asked so often, in fact, she decided it was time to gift the world with the knowledge.

I would bet a shiny quarter that not that many people ask Lady Giada "how she stays so trim". I would bet that she tells interviewers that to keep the thought going that she is the most awesomest thing to ever grace our teevee. Sort of like how Kelly Rippa fishes for compliments by putting herself down.
Edited by cooksdelight
adult sexual content without warning

Heh. Good timing.  Today at 3:00 on the Food Network:

Table for Two

Giada and her husband Todd hire a babysitter and plan a very memorable date night at home. Giada plans the menu and makes the food, while Todd takes care of every other detail. (Episode: GH0118H)

With all of the dirt that is out there about this woman, I can't believe Food Network has kept her around.   I do not know anyone who can tolerate her.  Most of the comments during FNS each season are about her nasty attitude and her mouth with too many teeth.

• Love 2

Not surprised at all about the divorce and not surprised either that she's allegedly getting cozy with Matt already.  There were rumors about them well over a year ago, maybe a little further than I'm thinking of and when TMZ or one of the usual paparazzi that ambushes celebrities confronted Matt he got REALLY defensive, almost a little too defensive and ever since then I thought something was up. Throw in all the John Mayer stuff, I'm shocked the marriage lasted this long. 

I was listening to a non food related podcast, and the hosts dropped the rumor that Giada was involved with Drake at one point.

I've got to admit, my opinion of her went up a little bit when I heard that.

• Love 3

Giada is going to be Hollywood Game Night tonight.  Some celebrities are really good at the games, some are bump-on-the-log non-entities and some are attention whores that make everything about them and come off as an ass in the process.  Taking bets on which category LBH will fall into.