Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E16: Tom Colicchio, Jay Leno, Ian Bremmer, and Soledad O'Brien

• Start Topic

Airs May 29, 2020

Guests: Tom Colicchio, Jay Leno, Ian Bremmer, and Soledad O'Brien

I'm thinking Jay Leno might be living in Bill's basement. 

Finally!   The return of the panel and— not coincidentally— finally an episode that was at least two-thirds watchable.

The tone of Bill's comment though about 100,000 dead... yikes.  

• Love 3

I only caught some of Leno's bland, stale-ass "jokes" and then the exchange between Leno and Bill where Bill jokingly (but not really) shamed him for having never been asked to appear on Leno's show and Leno turned into the petty asshole I've always known him to be.

27 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I only caught some of Leno's bland, stale-ass "jokes" and then the exchange between Leno and Bill where Bill jokingly (but not really) shamed him for having never been asked to appear on Leno's show and Leno turned into the petty asshole I've always known him to be.

What did Jay say?  I missed that part, I only half watch when Leno is on.

5 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

What did Jay say?  I missed that part, I only half watch when Leno is on.

The exchange went something like this: Bill (sorta) jokingly chastised Leno for having had invited him on Real Time several times when Jay has never invited him on his own show. Jay was like, "Sure, sure...you can come on." And Bill says, "OK. When?" And Jay said something like, "Whenever you want." Bill continued pressing and it was obvious (at least to me) that Leno got annoyed and finally said, "Well, we're not filming now so..." 

(edited)

Jay Leno -- he's like, funny, right?🙄

It's obvious that this show was taped before all the rioting started in MN and elsewhere. Don't feel quite right about that. 

Edited by arachne
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

The one with the chef was interesting. Thinking of restaurants survival and going on the brink of economic collapse makes it all the more horrifying.

Yeah. He was right on when he said it has nothing to do with when restaurants are allowed to operate at full capacity. It has everything to do with when people feel safe going to restaurants operating at full capacity.

That might be a while. 

Or not. No one knows. We can only guess.

• Love 3

I thought some of Leno’s jokes were okay, sounds like he prepped.  

“Problem with HCQ is that it’s a gateway drug to Lysol.”

Good ribbing between the two.  Leno’s appearance a couple of weeks ago didn’t have the same energy.

Zoom panel was okay.  Definitely preferable to the one on one interviews.  Looks like the production crew figured out the multi screen zoom group calls that other show figured out 2 months ago.

I’m a sports fan and believe generally that outdoor is safer for becoming infected compared to indoors.

But it’s not safe.  One of the big spreading events in Italy and Spain is believed to be a soccer match in Milan in mid Feb between an Italian and a Spanish teams. 

Sporting events may be outdoors but the stands are partially covered and the fans are screaming, chanting and drinking, for several hours, no kind of distancing.

• Love 1

Poor Bill. He's lonely in his lovely, spacious home in the California sunshine. Sure, let's open up sports arenas with a lot of drunk fans, most of who would definitely not wear masks and would be yelling and hugging all over the place. And if only all of the dead from the virus had been health freaks like Bill, we wouldn't have had this shut down problem. How soon he forgets that the shut down prevented many more deaths and many health care workers were overwhelmed. Bill is a so self absorbed. Watching him makes me angry, so I've had it with his repetitive whining.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, Kenz said:

Poor Bill. He's lonely in his lovely, spacious home in the California sunshine. Sure, let's open up sports arenas with a lot of drunk fans, most of who would definitely not wear masks and would be yelling and hugging all over the place. And if only all of the dead from the virus had been health freaks like Bill, we wouldn't have had this shut down problem. How soon he forgets that the shut down prevented many more deaths and many health care workers were overwhelmed. Bill is a so self absorbed. Watching him makes me angry, so I've had it with his repetitive whining.

He is the definition of white privilege.

• Love 10
On 5/30/2020 at 9:33 PM, scrb said:

I thought some of Leno’s jokes were okay, sounds like he prepped.  

“Problem with HCQ is that it’s a gateway drug to Lysol.”

Good ribbing between the two.  Leno’s appearance a couple of weeks ago didn’t have the same energy.

Zoom panel was okay.  Definitely preferable to the one on one interviews.  Looks like the production crew figured out the multi screen zoom group calls that other show figured out 2 months ago.

I’m a sports fan and believe generally that outdoor is safer for becoming infected compared to indoors.

But it’s not safe.  One of the big spreading events in Italy and Spain is believed to be a soccer match in Milan in mid Feb between an Italian and a Spanish teams. 

Sporting events may be outdoors but the stands are partially covered and the fans are screaming, chanting and drinking, for several hours, no kind of distancing.

Yeah, not sure I’d rely on China as to what is safe.  Do they even have much in the way of outdoor team sports with large crowds?

On 5/30/2020 at 8:22 AM, Giant Misfit said:

The exchange went something like this: Bill (sorta) jokingly chastised Leno for having had invited him on Real Time several times when Jay has never invited him on his own show. Jay was like, "Sure, sure...you can come on." And Bill says, "OK. When?" And Jay said something like, "Whenever you want." Bill continued pressing and it was obvious (at least to me) that Leno got annoyed and finally said, "Well, we're not filming now so..." 

Jay's own show is a CAR show, so that's why Bill hasn't been on it.  BTW, Jay is Bill's neighbor.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Jay's own show is a CAR show, so that's why Bill hasn't been on it.

Well, Jay never mentioned his show was a car show which would preclude Bill appearing on it.  

I thought Savannah Guthrie and Ian Bremerton were about the best guests Bill has had on since the “at home” shows began. The truth is,Bill is not a good interviewer because he’s too busy telling us how HE feels about everything.  I like the addition of several views and someone intelligent and logical who Bill doesn’t step all over to get his opinion across.Lets face it, Bill has become quite dated and rather a curmudgeon. HBO should continue this format with someone a bit younger and less privileged than Bill. 

• Love 3
On 6/2/2020 at 7:00 AM, Caseysgirl said:

I thought Savannah Guthrie and Ian Bremerton were about the best guests Bill has had on since the “at home” shows began. The truth is,Bill is not a good interviewer because he’s too busy telling us how HE feels about everything.  I like the addition of several views and someone intelligent and logical who Bill doesn’t step all over to get his opinion across.Lets face it, Bill has become quite dated and rather a curmudgeon. HBO should continue this format with someone a bit younger and less privileged than Bill. 

It was Soledad O’Brien, not Savannah Guthrie. However I agree that they were good guests. Soledad is very smart. 

• Love 1