Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Death Is Not The End

In the aftermath of yet another bloodbath, Sam (Sam Trammell), Sookie and Jason find themselves the bearers of bad news in Bon Temps and beyond. Pam recalls the events that led her and Eric to Shreveport and Fangtasia. Bill (Stephen Moyer) and Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll) get nourishment from unexpected sources. Following a new lead, Sookie enlists a band of vampires and humans to track down the H-Vamps.

We're going to get more flashbacks? WHY???? These are the final episodes, why are they wasting time on the past, why aren't they working on storylines for all the characters we've been following all this time?

• Love 1

I'd be more okay with the idea of Eric flashbacks if I didn't have the sinking suspicion that we're also going to see him being all mopey about poor, sweet, naked little Sylvie.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'd be more okay with the idea of Eric flashbacks if I didn't have the sinking suspicion that we're also going to see him being all mopey about poor, sweet, naked little Sylvie.

I have always been curious how Viking vampire Eric ended up in small town Louisiana running a bar... so if they're going to show us anything, I guess I at least have had some curiousity about that. I mean really... he was in Paris, San Fransisco etc... who says, Gee, we've got the whole world to explore, lets move to Louisiana! (No offense intended to people who live in Louisiana... but I can't imagine Shreveport is a top destination for the European jetset crowd)

Edited by Jjrmt
  • Love 10
I have always been curious how Viking vampire Eric ended up in small town Louisiana running a bar... so if they're going to show us anything, I guess I at least have had some curiousity about that. I mean really... he was in Paris, San Fransisco etc... who says, Gee, we've got the whole world to explore, lets move to Louisiana! (No offense intended to people who live in Louisiana... but I can't imagine Shreveport is a top destination for the European jetset crowd)

I can't remember if it was stated out loud but Bon Temps is suppose to be the supernatural capital of the world so I just assumed that's why Eric & Pam moved there.  I never thought they moved there before Bon Temps got this title so yeah it would be curious why they would choose this tiny town instead of say New Orleans.

I can't remember if it was stated out loud but Bon Temps is suppose to be the supernatural capital of the world so I just assumed that's why Eric & Pam moved there.  I never thought they moved there before Bon Temps got this title so yeah it would be curious why they would choose this tiny town instead of say New Orleans.

New Orleans is supposed to be  "Mecca" for vampires... so perhaps they wanted to come to Louisiana for that reason and the only leadership position was Area 5, which equaled Shreveport?  

Hopefully we'll find out this weekend ;)

What happened?  This ep was so far superior to anything else that has appeared in this up to now forlorn season.

Seriously.  That was fucking awesome television, imho.  I'm at a point where I'm over Tara- and they didn't show Lettie Mae to set me off- so that helped.  But...Sookie was kind of fantastic, and I think the episode was just good on its own.  I loved her speech to Jessica, and her snooping on Arleen's near-death experience.  There's a whole 'nother side of death they haven't explored yet.

Biggest thing I'm taking away from the this episode is Eric with Luke Perry hair.

I thought Jason Priestley.  

I liked the Pam/Eric flashbacks.  Better they fill in the blanks on two characters I know then try and start something totally new, and it's easy enough to forget Sylvie.

The Bon Temps mob- they're all dead now, right?

• Love 2

When Ginger had that reaction in her first flashback appearance, I thought Eric was going to come out with blood running out of his mouth.  But nope.  Just Eric in 90's attire is enough to cause Ginger to go into pre-histrionics.

• Love 7

That was a good episode.  The Eric flashbacks were a bit out of place at first, but it was nice to know how Fangtasia came to be.  Poor Ginger, never getting the credit she deserves.

The emotional resonance of Hoyt, Jackson, and Terry's reappearance was strong.  I nearly cried when Arlene was dying.  Glad she didn't.

What was that look between Eric and Sookie about in the end?  Was she upset because he didn't return with a vampire for Arlene to feed on?  

• Love 2

Although I liked this episode, Sookie irked me as usual. I just can't with her or Bill, together or separately. I mean, I care more about Eric than I did about Alcide or Tara, but she seemed much more concerned about his pending death while Tara was her best friend and Alcide was her boyfriend. It just seems off to me.

• Love 2

Biggest thing I'm taking away from the this episode is Eric with Luke Perry hair.  Or is it Jason Priestley?

The best part of this ep. was the flashback. College student Ginger!   Super bad ass Pam is back. She was my favourite thing this ep.  Really- Eric giving Sookie puppy dog eyes at the end -ick.   Lafayette continues to be awesome.  So far an improvement but my hopes are not high .

• Love 3

That was the best episode of the season so far. The phone call between Jason and Hoyt was well done. 

I liked Sookie with Arlene and her wanting to help but any other time I still don't like her. 

The reaction Pam had to the video store was a riot. 

I say James, lala,and Jessica all live together. 

• Love 1

That was far and away the best episode of the season.  I didn't look at the clock once and when it was over I was suprised. 

I'm getting a bad feeling that Eric Northman is going to be one of the deaths this season.  We are getting his flashbacks more than Bill's.  They are bringing up Sookie/Eric again, which I'm all for but just gives me another reason to think he's going to die.  To my eyes, Sookie/Eric was 100 times better in that short scene than Bill/Sookie the entire last 3 seasons. 

Poor Jason, having to call Hoyt like that.  So many feels.  And I liked Jessica's anguish over the deaths and the inner struggle with feeding from an innocent human.   And Violet was only on for a few minutes so I was okay with her too.  Overall, great ep.

• Love 3

I loved the flashbacks!! Ginger was so smart when she first met Pam and Eric... and I love that their punishment was to run a video store in Shreveport... 90's Eric was amazing :P

Sookie definitely has her warrior face on, no time for grief no time for crying... all she can do is push until her friends are safe.

• Love 2
(edited)

Vigilantes ruin everything.

Damn, that was a fun episode. The forces of good finally win one, and we get to see Eric and Pam run a Mom 'n' Pop video store. You can squeeze a lot of fun out of those two being miserable in Shreveport.

Poor Hoyt. Figure the boy would be loyal to his mother, even if she was a bitter, bitter, bitter harpy. Have I mentioned how happy I am that she's dead? I hope she gets buried in a backyard.

Poor Arlene. Not the "almost dying" part or the "seeing Terry again" part, but the "seeing Sam naked" thing. I think she might be the last person to know that Sam can shapeshift. Speaking of which . . . are we ever going to get an explanation on how/why he can get so big and so little? Or is it one of those things where it's best not to ask?

Just in case I need to check later . . . what's the best place for the latest True Blood screencaps?

Edited by Lantern7

How come when the teacher vampire fed from Arlene she exploded but none of the vampires that fed from her tonight died?

Besides that inconsistency this was a good episode and I loved the flashback with college Ginger. Sookie still got on my nerves though. So this is the same day and next day that her boyfriend died? You could've fooled me.

• Love 1

How come when the teacher vampire fed from Arlene she exploded but none of the vampires that fed from her tonight died?

Besides that inconsistency this was a good episode and I loved the flashback with college Ginger. Sookie still got on my nerves though. So this is the same day and next day that her boyfriend died? You could've fooled me.

I think it was just Betty the teacher's time and had nothing to do with Arlene... it was too little, too late on the blood.

Wow let's spend ten mins on the saga of Rosie and Kevin!!

Are we supposed to give a shit about people we never heard of??

I hope this show catches Hep V.

Them telling Rosie about Kevin led to the vigilantes showing up at fangtasia... so it had a point, and bonus, now all the vigilante idiots are dead!

• Love 7

I don't get why people are upset that sookie was not crying for alcide all episode. These people are in a time of crisis they don't got time unfortunately to grief. Sookie and Eric still have the best chemistry. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't get why people are upset that sookie was not crying for alcide all episode. These people are in a time of crisis they don't got time unfortunately to grief. Sookie and Eric still have the best chemistry. 

I'm with you, she even tells Jason in the cold open that all she wants to do is cry, but she has to man up, so he does too... They had to save their friends... but now it's over there will be time to grieve before the next crisis hits.

Though the immediate threats are over for the moment- the vigilantes are just about all dead- was Kenya with them when they went to Fangtasia? I didn't catch it... but Vince is dead.... and the local hep Vs are dead...

Edited by Jjrmt
(edited)

Something may have gotten in my eye when Terry showed up for Arlene. Believe me, I wasn't expecting that reaction, which means they at least managed to get me invested in Arlene surviving her ordeal.

Historically, this is the part of the season when the show pivots off into another direction. I guess more yakuza and Sarah Newlin action, although none of that sounds too exciting. I wonder how high the body count will climb.

I do feel some Eric death foreshadowing, but I'm pretty sure they do that every season...although this IS the last.

I liked the Ginger flashbacks, although I think we deserved the missing scene where she finds out they're vampires and loses her shit.

Slightly O/T but I was rewatching S3 and had an epiphany...if you remove everything having to do with Jason and the werepanthers, and everything having to do with Sam and his shitty white trash family and all his shitty backstory, you'd have a damn fine half-hour vampire dramedy. Someone should do a fan edit that's just the vampire plots, where the only filler is Lafayette and Jesus. Sans their brief stint in the Hotshot crap. Also, every scene in Merlottes with Tommy would need to be removed, but Jessica can stay.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1
was Kenya with them when they went to Fangtasia? I didn't catch it... but Vince is dead.... and the local hep Vs are dead...

Yes, Kenya was with them, but I think she escaped with the rest of the vigilantes.  They basically threw a few bombs in the bar and took off.  Pretty sure Rosie didn't make it; Eric was feeding off of her when Pam found him.

Glad they killed Vince.  Didn't like him, didn't need him around.

Though the immediate threats are over for the moment- the vigilantes are just about all dead- was Kenya with them when they went to Fangtasia? I didn't catch it... but Vince is dead....

Kenya was indeed with the vigilantes, but I didn't see her get killed.  But without Vince and his three main followers, that plot point is pretty much finished.

Yes, Kenya was with them, but I think she escaped with the rest of the vigilantes.  They basically threw a few bombs in the bar and took off.  Pretty sure Rosie didn't make it; Eric was feeding off of her when Pam found him.

I thought they all came together in that minivan-- it was still out there when the fight was over, with Eric inside feeding on Rosie... so I don't know how they could have gotten away... I guess I'll have to watch more closely on the re-watch.

• Love 1
(edited)

This show is always at its best when the main characters are featured and they're kicking butt together. Loved having them all on the same page again.

Hope like hell Kenya did buy it with her vigilante friends. Cannot conceive of why those idiots insisted on going after the Hep-V vamps at night. They had no vampire help so it wasn't necessary. Super-geniuses got what they deserved.

Out of curiosity, have any Hep-V vamps had fairy blood, as far as we know? Can we hold out hope Sookie and Adylin are walking cures?

Felt sorry for Jess and James, but loved LaLa so much I could squeeze him. I'm loving his character this season.

Definitely not hate-watching, which seems to put me in a minority here. Was admittedly reluctant to fork over the cash to HBO after last season, but tonight made it the right decision.

Edited by Mary Sue
  • Love 1

This show is always at its best when the main characters are featured and they're kicking butt together. Loved having them all on the same page again.

Hope like hell Kenya did buy it with her vigilante friends. Cannot conceive of why those idiots insisted on going after the Hep-V vamps at night. They had no vampire help so it wasn't necessary. Super-geniuses got what they deserved.

Out of curiosity, have any Hep-V vamps had fairy blood, as far as we know? Can we hold out hope Sookie and Adylin are walking cures?

Felt sorry for Jess and James, but loved LaLa so much I could squeeze him. I'm loving his character this season.

So far we haven't seen any of them have fairy blood... but last season with Nora and Warlow, Nora was pretty certain that Warlow's blood wouldn't do anything more than allow her to walk in the sun... so I guess we'll see if they stick to that or turn the fae into a magic cure...

(edited)

Are Kevin and Rosie this show's Paulo and Nikki?

On the shallow side, I think Anna Paquin has had a bad eyelid lift and there were scenes where she was bugging her eyes out and it really stood out.

For a moment I thought were finally going to get Sam full frontal, and I would have been fine with that.

So, Arlene is now infected? Why did it have to be a healthy vampire if she is already infected? Does Hep V blood not have the same healing powers?

Edited by 90PercentGravity
  • Love 2
(edited)

I used to like Kenya, now I am rolling my eyes at her and the rest of the dummies in the van. I really hope they were all eaten and off my screen.

Edited by Tesla

They really packed a lot into this episode, which, I knew the big rescue was coming, so I was surprised how long it took to get there... but overall, I really liked this one. It was what the last few episodes have been leading up to.

We got to touch base with a lot of characters, but not in a boring drawn out way, and things were moving forward. I loved all the changing personal dynamics in this episode as well- Sookie , Bill and Eric, Eric and Bill.... Jessica, James and Lafayette... the stuff with Jason and Sam was really nice...  Convincing Jessica to eat was well done as well, Lafayette is so fantastic!  I also love learning how fangtasia came about, poor ginger, Pam stole her great idea! Those were good moments between Pam and Eric on the plane...

So far, the only thing I'm not liking about this final season is that it's going to be the last one... but I do agree that it's time for True Blood to come to an end.

• Love 1

Like many of you, I actually enjoyed this one!  I'd been fairly annoyed and disappointed this season, but this was pretty good.  THIS is how flashbacks need to happen!  I also cried laughing at 90210 Eric (Back in the day, I totally loved that look on guys....sigh...to be 14 again...) and 90s Ginger (a college student!).  I got a soft spot in my heart when I saw Terry, Hoyt and Lisa/Colby (Cody?) and when we got a scene with Laffy being Laffy; it reminded me of the show I liked many moons ago.

So are we ending up with Bill and Sookie?  Really?  Ugh.   It's so strange anytime a man is in Sookie's realm, his character just loses all appeal to me:  I didn't care for Bill in season 1, lord knows we don't talk about amnesia, puppy dog Eric and poor dead Alcide is just a footnote.  I want the men of Bon Temps to go their own ways and for Sookie to just do as she pleases with her life.  Discover herself and decide what she wants to do with her life.  

Alexander S and Kristen VS gave me such a nice "Eric/Pam" vibe that last season tried to snuff out.  I didn't realize how much I missed it until we got our moments.

• Love 1
(edited)

Astonishingly good episode, considering. The high point for me was Hoyt/Jason. Thinking about the sharp rise in quality for this episode, I think it has to be attributed to being about people, who can have a full set of emotions. After this experience I'm thinking True Blood fell into the coolness trap, trying to come up with more and more cool things for vamps to do, forgetting that cool people are too cool to care. The problem is, if they don't care, why should we? The funny thing is that the origin of Fangtasia story played the vamps for a little humor...and you know what? I cared more about Eric and Pam than I had for quite a while.

I suppose they should have had the balls to commit to Arlene and Terry's happily ever afterlife, but I guess I can live with Arlene surviving. Still, for an episode titled "Death Is Not the End" to welsh on its promise? 

I still raised my eyebrows at Jason's insistent that a daylight attack couldn't work. I raised them even higher though, when Sookie agreed with Violet that Jason Stackhouse wasn't butch enough. 

Edited by sjohnson

Are Kevin and Rosie this show's Paulo and Nikki?

On the shallow side, I think Anna Paquin has had a bad eyelid lift and there were scenes where she was bugging her eyes out and it really stood out.

For a moment I thought were finally going to get Sam full frontal, and I would have been fine with that.

So, Arlene is now infected? Why did it have to be a healthy vampire if she is already infected? Does Hep V blood not have the same healing powers?

According to Eric, once you're bitten you're infected... So Arlene and Holly should be infected. I'm assuming infected vampire blood isn't helpful for healing, since it's basically decomposing or whatever Hep V is doing to them...

Notice, the vamp that fed Arlene didn't touch her, he just dripped his blood into her- which I assume is to avoid getting infected from her...

• Love 1
(edited)

So did the actual writers just come back from vacation and take over or what? This is the show that I remembered liking. Oh, sure, you can nitpick on certain incongruities, like the time spent discussing Kevin's death versus Tara's, but in my opinion that flaw lies with the bad episodes, not with the good one. What are they supposed to do, just keep on writing the worst crap they possibly can, in order to be consistent?

We had no Lettie, no Violet, no Yakuza, the flashbacks actually expanded the characters' backstories rather than just wasting time, Hoyt is back on the show, we've actually seen New Guy 2.0 in the same scene as Jessica, Lafayette got to be in a scene where he wasn't blasted out of his skull, Willa is so great that I'm kind of pissed they didn't add her to the show earlier... hell, even Suckehhhhh didn't annoy me. And did she actually say "it's just lunch," about Bill biting her? God, I wish I believed her, but hilarious line anyway.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

Kenya is dead. She was laying next to the van with a pole through her chest.

• Love 1

What happened?  This ep was so far superior to anything else that has appeared in this up to now forlorn season.  

What a difference and improvement from the previous weeks. Granted, my expectations are very low at this point.

I agree with the rest of you, I actually enjoyed this episode I could have done without the visit to Rosie's house, or the time spent with Arlene's kids because they were a waste of time, but I dealt with it. I was worried about the Pam/Eric flashback, but that turned out to be interesting & didn't include people I didn't know. I'm glad all the "bad" vampires & the stupid townspeople are dead, & hopefully things will be picking up from here.

I'm with you, she even tells Jason in the cold open that all she wants to do is cry, but she has to man up, so he does too... They had to save their friends... but now it's over there will be time to grieve before the next crisis hits.

If Sookie seemed like someone who was devastated on the inside, but fighting through it in order to survive, that would be one thing.

But it looked to me like she was about as devastated as someone who's broken a nail.

• Love 3

I agree that this was a fun episode.  It wasn't great and cannot save this dreadful season alone, but if the remainder of the season stays in this range of entertaining at least the season will be enjoyable to watch (as opposed to the completionist's nightmare it has been previously).

I loved Sookie and Lala's tag team efforts in getting Jessica to eat.  And yes, Eric's 90210 hair was amazing. That alone would have made the episode worth watching, not to mention pre-glammered into mush-brain Ginger.  I agree with whomever above said we were cheated out of her learning about actual Vampires Freak Out/Scream.

Kenya is dead. She was laying next to the van with a pole through her chest.

Yes, she was one of the first of the mob to be killed when the Hep-V Vamps came out into the packing lot.  One of them threw the pole through her chest.

Watching True Blood these days is sort of like a weather forecast.  Last week, it started looking like there was an 85% chance the show's finale would suck more trhan Dexter's, but tonight there were clear signs of improvement, so it's down to only about 30%. 

The weather this week:  A hot-tempered Sookie blew in from the South for a nice scene with Jessica; an extended LaLa monologue tempered things with some needed fresh air; flashback scenes with Pam, Eric, and Ginger provided some unexpected cool (rather than the tepid, suffocating flashbacks last week).  The suspenseful near death of Arlene ushered in some actual high pressure, something the show has been seriously lacking this season.

And that's the weather.  Tune in next week to see if skies remain sunny or if things start to blow.

• Love 13

I liked this episode.  The stupid mob is dead and bonus, vampire Keith is a total hottie, hope they keep him around.  I'm glad Jessica finally got over her not eating thing, she had been irritating me the past few episodes. 

(edited)

Yep, I also thought this episode was miles better then the one preceding it this season.  It's like the writers finally woke up and remembered this was the final season.  Now, I can only hope they stay the path, and don't fuck this up, again.

Great seeing a few famailar faces back, even from the dead, like Hoyt, Terry, and Jackson.  I usually hate anything to do with the werewolves, but Jackson was one of the few things I did like, and Robert Patrick did so much in his one scene.  I'm also strangely happy that Jackson is still with the werewolf played by Stacy Haiduk.  Can't believe she's about 45 now; she still looks good (had a crush on her way back on Seaquest DSV.)

Tonight's flashback was much, much better.  I don't care about Bill and his family, or Eric and his random new "love."  But seeing how Eric and Pam came to acquiring Fangtasia?  Now, that is something that is fun to watch!  Loved seeing them both in those settings (Eric's 90s hair was almost as awesome as his 80s), and the returns of Ginger and Magister/Zeljko Ivanek.  Oh, Ginger.  I should have known that she was actually the one who came up with Fangtasia, but Pam glamoured her and stole the idea.  Poor Ginger.

Meanwhile, the writers also finally decided to make Sookie just a wee bit awesome.  Yeah, she could be harsh at times, but shit was going down, and it needed to be done, so even though I felt for both Jason and Jessica's plights, they really needed those kicks in the pants.  Plus, it led to the Jessica/Lafayette scene, which I loved.  My two favorite characters interacting with one another?  Hell yeah!

Thank heavens the dumbass mob finally got their asses taken out.  Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of assholes.  I wonder if there will be any issues over Bill abandoning Arlene, to save Jessica.  It obvious is in character, due to the protege aspect, but I wonder if Sookie will be upset with him.  And considering all the Sookie/Eric stuff in this episode, I'm starting to wonder if I jumped the gun over Sookie/Bill as the endgame.   Then again, unless the find a miracle cure, Eric is destined to turn into a big blob of bloody goo, by the end of this season.

With all the flashbacks and various cameos, I hope this seasons finds some way to bring in other past characters, like Jesus and Russell Edgington, for a final scene.

Edited by thuganomics85
(edited)

Awww how much I liked this episode? Let me count the ways...

First of all, I'm always happy when the whole cast is together because they're up to something amazing all the times!

The flashbacks were actually funny to watch, I too were curious to find out how, exactly, Eric and Pam ended up in Shreveport running the Fangtasia.

Biggest thing I'm taking away from the this episode is Eric with Luke Perry hair.  Or is it Jason Priestley?

Ahaha I thought exactly the same thing! As soon as I saw Eric's hair I thought: "Did he just come out from 90210?"

Though I thought it was a bit more Jason Priestley than Luke Perry.

Glad they saved Arlene, because I was really, really sure that she would die (since Holly was safe).

Sookie was actually kind of cool this time around but, most of all, I ADORED her scenes with Eric! I can't help it, imho they still have the best chemistry and I'll keep rooting for them until, apparently, my dear Eric will die. :(

By the way, I think that, with that look to Eric in the end, Sookie wanted to thank him: while Bill run off to save Jessica (which I can understand), I guess Eric has been the one to ask Keith to give some blood to Arlene, as he and Bill were the only ones knowing she needed some. Eric and Sookie were really cute, which of course means Eric will soon die so that she can come back to Bill. -_-

So far, the best episode of this season, hands down.

Edited by penelope79
  • Love 1
(edited)

Good episode!

I've always had a soft spot for Ginger and her screams and I was really happy to see her again. I can't believe Fangtasia was her idea! LOL, Pam  really is a bitch. Her scenes with Eric were awesome; to me, they'll always be the best thing in True Blood.

I also liked the scene with Lala, Jess and James. I was starting to ship Lafayette and James, but I can change them for an OT3, if needs must. 

I see I wasn't the only one wondering about Sookie and Adelyn's blood. Eric should give it a try, he can do it without infecting Sookie. Anyway, I think they'll find a cure. The virus is so spread that it seems to me that without a cure, we'd end True Blood with a vampire extinction and that's a very bleak ending, 

Edited by Helena Dax

The best episode of the season so far! A low bar but still yay for this episode for clearing it.

I thought I was over Eric/Sookie but one hug and I'm pulled back in. I just love their chemistry, which is always made better with Pam snarking in the background but now I'm more sure than ever that Eric isn't making it out alive and the series will end with a One Day promise for Sookie/Bill. 

I like this Sookie, she kicks ass when she needs to, her powers are useful and it's easy to see how the last few years filled with death have affected her.

• Love 1