Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: What A Difference A Plea Makes

• Start Topic

I find Amber came ready to rumble in the HW airtime wars.  I bet she wished she had saved Melissa's message now!  You just know she when she got cast that she went back and was scouring her emails and old photos and the like to find stuff about Melissa.  I wonder if she is the one that provided the video of Melissa dancing at her wedding that they showed in this episode.  I must say - for someone who supposedly was on the pole, that wasn't such great dancing!

Her husband and the pig - who said water seeks its own level.  Yuck.  Another chinless wonder like Richie Wakile is right!

• Love 1
Probably not enough room on the road to hell for all of us with our hand baskets and I'm cluttering it up more as Joe Giudice is still my favorite. Dr's and hygienist's? Priceless.

I'm guessing they need a lot of hygienists in the family to keep all the houses "cleansy". 

I don't believe for a second Mel didn't know that Amber had cancer. Facebook message or not, if they were friends on Facebook at the time I find it very hard to believe it was never mentioned. Plus "Amber, you had breast cancer??" was the fakest thing I've ever heard.

You don't have to be friends with someone on FB to send them a message. So it's possible they weren't on each other's pages. 

Joe Giudice was looking down fondly on his family from his little Romeo and Juliet balcony and remarked that his grandmother's family had done good in America - from doctors to hygienists to whatever else was floating around the room.

It's a good thing for the little girls that the Giudices have such an extensive family.  Hope that the daughters are able to remain together and that whatever family takes custody of them is made up of honest folk. 

It's truly odd, but not really, to see Teresa and Joe behaving as though they are somehow the aggrieved in all this.  

Amber's talk about "the cancer" made me think of Walter White being "the danger."  The one who knocks!  

And somewhere in there another supremely annoying new husband in the mix -- Bald, restaurant dude.  Ugh.  Did his wife really refer to someone's child as "that f****ing kid" (who) took her shawl?  Good heavens. 

Dina going on and on about the big love for Tommy -- really?  I like her fine and am happy to see her back but don't care for the disrespect towards her sister -- regardless of what one thinks of Caroline, that's just nasty -- and what on earth was that horrid striped blouse thing she was wearing the talking heads?

On the plus side, she wins me over with the adoption of that poor little doggie.   She's good that way. 

(edited)

Lablover, I swear if I had piles, my ass would be bleeding right now for poor Papa Guidice.  Yes, there are a lot of people against them, namely the countless vendors, former tenants and service providers the Juicy's willfully cheated.  I won't even touch on the fact that they deliberately filed a fraudulent bankruptcy petition, choosing not to disclose income from a contract that Tre had just signed and income from other sources.  Joe is the one who deliberately chose to defraud his business partner and to have his tenants living in unsafe and unsanitary conditions while he went home to that shrine to bad taste.  They are also the people who chose to flaunt their ill-gotten wealth on national T.V. in the foolish belief that they inspired envy in "the little people" who pay their taxes.

Good luck on Mr. and Mrs. Juicy teaching their children that they are the ones responsible for the misfortune that has befallen the family--not the IRS, not the guv'ment or the "haters" who wanted to see them fail.  They remind me of those Mob Wives, who actually had the audacity to blame the feds because their fathers, brothers, and husbands were in jail and weren't able to spend the holidays with the family.  "How unfair?!" They shrieked in outrage.  Meanwhile, there was no thought whatsoever to the victims of the crimes these sociopaths committed who will NEVER spend another day, much less a holiday, with their families again.

Bloop!  I will always bow down to my fellow posters who say it better than me!

Edited by Lablover27
  • Love 2

I don't see Teresa ever really suffering any consequences of her actions.  Nor do I expect she will ever repay much towards the restitution order.

The Govt. isn't going to let Teresa skate financially. She and Joe have to pay a certain amount upfront (upon sentencing), and then continue to pay after prison. And remember - this is just what they owe the IRS for tax evasion, and the Fed. Govt. for the fraud. The bankruptcy is a whole other matter. Since the bankruptcy filing was invalidated, they're still on the hook for all that money, and their creditors can still go after them. And if they don't pay, the govt. can put a lien on their assets/accounts. I don't think they'll ever party on Easy Street again.

Appollo's story is a little different, but TT's reporting made it sound like all he owes is $250 a month 'till he finishes paying off the debt. That's only after he pays a lump sum before he enters prison, and he can't say he doesn't have any money when he drives a BMW and money in bank accounts. Those assets will be seized and sold.

• Love 1

Apollo was ordered to pay almost $2 million and got a reduced sentence because he snitched. I don't see the courts being as lenient with Tre & Juicy.

True, but he's also a repeat offender. He already served serious prison time (for fraud), which means his criminal "level" was higher, a determination for sentencing guidelines. He was facing 35 years, but only got 8 due to the snitching and maybe other mitigating factors. Joe and Teresa, on the other hand, can only get a maximum sentence of 5 years (for Joe), or 2-3 years (Teresa) - again , due to sentencing guidelines.

• Love 1

I had to watch just to see how they would try to sell it, but i know I just cannot with this group. Can someone please explain to me how if Joe and Teresa are so broke, and have such excessive legal bills and can't send their kids to college (cuz, yeah we all know that higher education is a priority in the Guduice gang......uh I mean home),  yet bitch has a make up artist come to her house to prepare for a party? Seriously?

Maybe it's just me, but on my list of priority expenses, a make up artist must fall pretty damn low because I have never, ever hired one. But then, if I did I would have to pay for it with money earned, not stolen.

I quit watching last year mid season because I was so sick of watching both the trashy Gorga's and Guduices argue constanty, but I think this season would be even harder to take watching them all pretend to be one big, "together" family facing tragedy.

Except, here's the thing. Cancer is a tragedy. Losing a child is a  tragedy. Lesser, but still major tragedies are losing your long term job and not finding another, or invesing your life savings with a crook and losing it all. Having to answer for lying, cheating and stealing? NOT a tragedy. It is what is supposed to happen when you lie, cheat and steal. 

The ONLY people I felt sympathy for last night were the kids. They are the only innocents in this. However, with all due respect, I may be BRAVOS bitch but the appeal is certainly not watching innocent, bewildered children crying because their lowlife parents have messed up all their lives with their greed. THAT is not entertaining. THAT is not what we watch the HoWives for.

Sure, flipping tables, Shannon or Aviva freaking out over nothing, HoWives fighting, bitching and yes, even crying endlessly (I am looking at you Kristen) I can tolerate. But innocent kids in tears? Not so much.

There was, IMO, zero entertainment last night. BRAVO is on the wrong path with this. I had far more sympathy for Martha Stewart, even though I have never liked her, than I do for these two. An insider stock tip is not nearly as  bad and she did time. 

Teresa is either dumber than dirt, or crazy. Neither is appealing.

I love you.
  • Love 1

I love people who complain about paying huge sums to their attorney(s) such that they cannot now put aside any money for their children's college education(s).

Boo fucking Hoo.

What did you do with all the $$$ you stole? By all accounts there was plenty to go around.

• Love 2

It will be interesting to see how Teresa plays it this season. IMO for her it's very unfortunate it turns out most of the season is going to air before sentencing. She might have been better off if they were already sentenced. Still driving around in $60K Mercedes (it's called Swapalease Teresa look it up), make-up artists and hair stylists, throwing lavish parties and still not being seen in the same outfit twice! Of course all the while acting like you're being unjustly persecuted.

It's like the old SNL "Bad Idea Jeans" skit or to a lesser extent Dave Chapelle's "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong". Can't speculate about the Judge, but I'm pretty sure the DOJ prosecutors are watching (even just for kicks at this point) and they're giving them a whole bunch of ammunition arguing for an actual jail sentence when she pleads the mea culpa in front of the Judge.

Sometimes I actually feel sorry for them (see my hand basket to Hell re Juicy) cause they seem just so stupid and maybe don't actually believe what they did was wrong.

• Love 1

And with these words: "A woman only needs two things in her life, Dunkin Donuts and oral sex.", I am out.

That was easy.

OMG, ryebread - we agree! A reality show is trashy by definition, but that comment brought the show down to the bottom of the trash heap.

• Love 3
(edited)

Can't speculate about the Judge, but I'm pretty sure the DOJ prosecutors are watching (even just for kicks at this point) and they're giving them a whole bunch of ammunition arguing for an actual jail sentence when she pleads the mea culpa in front of the Judge.

I highly doubt a judge or prosecuter will make a decision based on what is seen on a tv show as opposed to actual evidence that can be proven. Too easy for the Guidices to claim they were acting for the show, and as we all know, much on the HW shows is scripted or out right fakery by the participants even without producer prodding. I'm sure the DOJ has what they need from financial records, etc. I for one would think it unprofessional for a judge to base a decision on a tv show.

Edited by happykitteh
  • Love 2

Happykitteh (cute cat) - I disagree to some extent. They don't need any more evidence of guilt, the moron twins took a plea. They need to allocute before the Judge, admit what they did then ask for leniency. IMO it's hard to be taken seriously that you're sorry when you're prancing around on a reality TV show like you're the victim. I think the Fed's definitely want jail time and wouldn't hesitate to bring it up at sentencing. They asked for unaired footage from the show when they were preparing their case.

I'd love to be out too. Unfortunately my husband now wants to watch this season too.

• Love 2
(edited)
And with these words: "A woman only needs two things in her life, Dunkin Donuts and oral sex.", I am out.

That was easy.

It's comments like this that make me love Jersey, especially being spouted by a botoxed, implanted woman dressed in a satin bedcover that she she thinks is a couture dress. This and Juicy with his "doctors and hygenists" comment. It's what makes Jersey my everything. If OTOH you are looking for refinement and decorum, Jersey is not for you. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 1

Happykitteh (cute cat) - I disagree to some extent. They don't need any more evidence of guilt, the moron twins took a plea. They need to allocute before the Judge, admit what they did then ask for leniency. IMO it's hard to be taken seriously that you're sorry when you're prancing around on a reality TV show like you're the victim.

The judge would be ridiculed in legal circles if she based the sentencing, even in part, on what she saw on a tv show. Yes, Teresa and Joe have to allocate to the judge, which is the opposite of what they're doing on the show, but sentencing has to be based on facts. Footage on the show is heavily edited and molded by the point of view of the producers. Not exactly unbiased material, let alone facts.

• Love 2

The judge would be ridiculed in legal circles if she based the sentencing, even in part, on what she saw on a tv show. Yes, Teresa and Joe have to allocate to the judge, which is the opposite of what they're doing on the show, but sentencing has to be based on facts. Footage on the show is heavily edited and molded by the point of view of the producers. Not exactly unbiased material, let alone facts.

I think I review of five seasons of Reunions would be in order.  They may be edited but they don't seem scripted.  I think Teresa's and Joe's charming personalities really shine at the Reunions.  The prosecutors are allowed to view any evidence in whatever form  they want.  It is up to them to follow up on it. 

Teresa and Joe are left with the following:  "Your honor any scenes you see where we look good are real.  The scenes where we look bad are heavily edited and not real."  It is a tightrope.

• Love 1

Your Honor: Yes, I did indeed say, as you just saw from the tv clip, that I didn't do anything wrong and I don't know why this is happening to me, but what you didn't see was what I said next. I had a lightbulb moment, Your Honor, and realized that the true victims are the creditors I defrauded, the US Govt. to whom I owe millions in back taxes, and tv viewers who I duped into thinking I was someone I was not. The producers chose not to show that scene.

Teresa, of course, would never say any such thing, on camera or off, but she would be right as to her point - nothing on reality tv can be taken at face value.

• Love 1

If unedited footage from this show was used to build a case against them, there is always the possibility that it will be used when its time for sentencing. Evidence is evidence, regardless of its shape or form. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The prosecutors are allowed to view any evidence in whatever form  they want.  It is up to them to follow up on it.

But it has to be evidence that is PROVEN to be FACT. This is a tv show, not real life. It's laughable to think a legal professional would rely on or use footage from a Bravo show. If this were a trial there is no chance any footage from a tv show that is scripted/fake/exaggerated behavior would be allowed in as evidence. No way. The judge will review the actual evidence, documents that prove what the Guidices did and their real life efforts (if any) to minimize the damage they have done to taxpayers and victims of their misdeeds to see if they have shown any remorse and whether they deserve leniency. What they did or said on a television show where they are paid to bring the drama is not relevant.

They may be edited but they don't seem scripted.

"Don't seem" and "are not" are two entirely different things. One would have to prove the Guidices were not playing their "characters" at the reunion. Only they know if they are speaking their true thoughts/opinions or are playing to the audience to bring the drama at the reunions. We as the audience have no idea what is set up both on the show and on the reunion. We do know they are paid to bring the drama.

Edited by happykitteh
  • Love 1
(edited)

LotusFlower, I love you for that! I can see it so clearly!

Thanks! And I think it's easy to visualize the scene, cuz we've all seen it! Also need to credit zoeysmom for Teresa's new moniker - she invented that! (although here it's used towards the judge....I like its double meanings).

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 2

I will believe it when I see it as far as justice being served. I still feel like they will wiggle out.

Seriously though..... I was a trouble maker and having kids made me want to clean up my act......so I could be there for them, and not end up dead or on jail. That is why I have such little compassion for them and actually hope they both serve.

When Juicy was huggin Gia at the party I think there was a bit of actual remorse and humility from him.

So Ambers sole purpose on this show is to get Mel.....not looking forward to what that entails.

I thought I would like the return of Dina but meh..... Her whole Bitch is back, don't cross me sctick is lame.

I guess we'll all just agree to disagree about if the Giudice's acting like remorseless fools on TV could possibly effect their sentencing. My point was that the evidence phase is over and at sentencing the Judge will not only base the sentence on the guidelines, but "character" comes into play at this point.

Not that I would ever believe the Judge would say directly their behavior on RH influenced her decision, but I see it as a possibility it indirectly could. Prosecutors can bring up whatever they want at sentencing. The Giudice's portray the show at all other times as the real them, so it's hard to believe it's all acting and editing. Though I'm sure the defense will make the case it's just a show if brought up.

I'm also thinking about in a case in DC regarding one of our big local developers. His name is Doug Jemal. He was primarily responsible for revitalizing a lot of then sketchy areas in DC and dilapidated properties (Gallery Place, NE etc). He was also "gifting" DC officials for some sweet lease deals with the DC government. Got caught was convicted. He should have gotten 3 years, but basically skated (prosecutor's were furious) cause the judge took into account all the good things he did for the city and others (apparently not only generous with DC officials but a lot of people down on their luck). His very loyal "bagman" went to jail for 9 months though. In the DC commercial RE industry though we all believe he's been generously compensated for it although no longer works for Jemal (we joke about he's probably living it up now on some island as he really hasn't been heard from since).

Sorry long and won't mention again. But I do believe their public " reality" behavior could hurt them.

• Love 1
(edited)

That's my point - it is not evidence. In any way, shape, or form.

Of course it is evidence.  They are statements made by the defendant.  It has the same weight as a statement that is made to anyone and that anyone repeating it. All the prosecution is doing is asking for unedited tape.  The unediting version may be favorable to the Giudices-if it showed the producer asking one question and making it appear that she was talking about something else. For example IF there were camera footage of Joe Giudice driving while his license were suspended-it could be used as evidence.  IF Teresa were to admit on camera-she saw nothing wrong with her not declaring her book deal on the BK petition-because everyone does it-it can be used as evidence.

So it is potential evidence in every way, shape or form.  Whether or not it has any weight is another thing entirely or if the prosecution elects to present it is another story.

Sorry to sound so bitchy-but it is a caveat to everyone-do not go on camera or a recorded devise and state something that is untrue or be too candid.  Unless there is a disclaimer that you are reading lines or that the comments presented are in direct accordance with the a storyline devised by your employer.

The comments I am talking about are things like, " I have never called my wife that word before."  If there is camera footage of Joe repeatedly calling Teresa a 'C' then the tape could be used for prior inconsistent statements. 

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 3

I don't like to talk about kids but Gia breaks my heart. Such a vibrant smile that you see she's trying so hard to keep-only to dissolve in tears. I can't imagine the turmoil and anxiety that poor child had to be feeling. It certainly shows she's feeling it at the time of filming. I've had a breakdown and that sweet girl seems to be on the verge of one. I really hope that at the very least, when filming stops (ed), they got her into some kind of therapy. Milania just needs some discipline.

• Sad 1

When did it become "restitution whore" rather than "prostitution whore"? That is so funny!

Didn't Teresa make some sort of weather related "funny"...something about a noreaster, and I can't remember the whole thing?

Of course it is evidence.  They are statements made by the defendant.  It has the same weight as a statement that is made to anyone and that anyone repeating it. All the prosecution is doing is asking for unedited tape.  The unediting version may be favorable to the Giudices-if it showed the producer asking one question and making it appear that she was talking about something else. For example IF there were camera footage of Joe Giudice driving while his license were suspended-it could be used as evidence.  IF Teresa were to admit on camera-she saw nothing wrong with her not declaring her book deal on the BK petition-because everyone does it-it can be used as evidence.

They are now in the sentencing phase of the case. Whether any "gotcha" footage from the show was used in the discovery phase is another story. They've already admitted their guilt, so the September date with the judge is to ask for leniency, with the prosecutors on the other side asking for the maximum sentence. Using footage from the show to show the judge their character or lack of remorse is ridiculous - it's wholly biased material. Even if there was footage of Joe and Teresa saying they were set up and the judge was a Restitution Whore, the defense would counter with the multitude of times Joe and Teresa admitted their guilt and expressed remorse, only the cameras weren't around to capture it. That's why this debate is so silly. It's reality tv! Nothing is as it seems.

• Love 2

Didn't Teresa make some sort of weather related "funny"...something about a noreaster, and I can't remember the whole thing?

Yeah, she called it a "Norwegian".Gotta love her, and hope she never helps Milania with her homework.

• Love 1

P.S. In the First Look, Joe just said to disregard what everybody's saying about them - they'll have their day in court when they "prove themselves not guilty.....we know who we are." It's hilarious, but again, evidence of nothing.

• Love 4

OK everyone, you need to cool it with the sniping back and forth about this issue. For one thing it's WAY off topic for the episode topic and for another it's just rude. None of us know what will or won't be used as evidence. Lets agree to disagree and move it along. Thanks. 

• Love 2

Dunkin Donuts & Oral Sex? Really? WTF. 

I can't quite get my head wrapped around this season yet...don't care for the twins or that other chick...Yawn. Dina? Meh. Teresa...same old song & dance.

Lol... so why again can't I quit this show?

• Love 2

I'm sorry but Melissa was not sincere. Someone who is sincere will call and ask, "hey, I just saw such and such on TV. Are you okay?" rather than "... well, is it true?" Such coldness in her voice. She's on display, on display for sure.

I felt awful for Gia too. And I think at this point Teresa's denial is bordering on a mental illness.

I think Melissa is probably sympathetic because I think Melissa realizes she could be next.  I get a funny feeling that their money is not all clean either.  In fact, I have questions about where a lot of the money on that show comes from.  

Although, credit to the Manzo boys, I saw BLK water being sold at Whole Foods, which is a pretty big get.

Sheesh the way I spelled "beech" you would think I graduated from Columbia or something.

with your degree in exercise science?  or whatever she has her degree in?

• Love 2
On 7/13/2014 at 10:59 PM, RagingTomato said:

I know the Guidices did something wrong, but I still feel bad for them. It must be so scary to wonder whether you will be serving time or not and if you are going to be around for your kids. I actually teared up several times during the episode. I feel so bad for that family. I really lost it when Frank was on talking to Joe and Gia. So sad.

The twins get on my last nerve so far. Hopefully they will grow on me as the season progresses. I do, however, wish I could get by in life with just Dunkin Donuts and oral sex.

So glad to see Dina back. She makes me laugh; especially when she is with Teresa.

Same. I'm watching it all many years later, but I find what the kinds/family went through heartbreaking. The Guidices should have known better, but still.

Dina is entertaining and gorgeous as well. Her blue eyes are so darn pretty.