Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: The NeverEnding Story

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yes, these two are clearly transactional but no one but them sees it.  Wasn't it mentioned somewhere waaaaaay upthread that David was brining the CZ so he sould not have to claim a real ring through customs or something similar?

I'm not sure what you mean by your first sentence.  IMO, everyone but David sees that that are transactional.  LOL.

I think David said something when he bought the CZ that made it sound like he and Lana had discussed getting engaged, and she wanted to pick out her own ring.  No doubt she was going to get the biggest diamond she could from this man who reportedly spent $100,000 on getting to know her for seven years.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I'm not sure what you mean by your first sentence.  IMO, everyone but David sees that that are transactional.  LOL.

No, you are right - I need to correct that.  I was tapping away before coffee set in!  We all see it, Lana sees it, passerby on the street see it - but David?  Nope - that huge hat of his and him just do not see it!!!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

No, you are right - I need to correct that.  I was tapping away before coffee set in!  We all see it, Lana sees it, passerby on the street see it - but David?  Nope - that huge hat of his and him just do not see it!!!!

Then all is forgiven.  LOL.

Mentioning coffee - did you (like I) do a "spit-take" when he appeared on screen in that ridiculous hat?  It looked like something he found in a trash can because no self-respecting homeless person would wear it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

How long do you think it will take Lana to pawn that engagement ring??

The whole Geoffrey/Varya/Mary situation disgusts me. Geoffrey's an ass, but Varya and Mary were willing to have sex with a dude who just had sex with someone else like 5 minutes ago. And in Mary's case, she volunteered to be second choice/backup girl. If Geoffrey was into Mary, he would never have gone to Russia to begin with. 

I give Lisa and Usman a month before it's over. Haven't we seen this exact plot line at least twice before on this show?

• Love 8
On 6/1/2020 at 4:22 PM, sasha206 said:

Ed:  It's very strange how fast Ed goes to "I'm a failure."  I mean, no matter how much he fucked up, how do you define yourself as a failure b/c a relationship didn't work out?    He really out to get some major therapy.

Ed does that solely for sympathy. "Poor me; I can't sustain a relationship because people don't like me for the quirky, cool guy that I am." He is totally denying his true repulsive behavior: "I cheated on my wife a year into our marriage; I seek out 'hot' girls to give me sexual pleasure; I went to the Philippines to buy a wife and treated her poorly; now I'm alone."  

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
25 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

The whole Geoffrey/Varya/Mary situation disgusts me. Geoffrey's an ass, but Varya and Mary were willing to have sex with a dude who just had sex with someone else like 5 minutes ago. And in Mary's case, she volunteered to be second choice/backup girl. If Geoffrey was into Mary, he would never have gone to Russia to begin with. 

Because Geoffrey is/was doing what A LOT of guys do:  See if there is someone better/hotter/step up out there. "Yeah, Mary is sweet, kind, a good friend, etc. but I gotta check out this hot piece of Russian ass - she may be the ONE!"

24 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

Ed does that solely for sympathy. "Poor me; I can't sustain a relationship because people don't like me for the quirky, cool guy that I am."

I agree - he probably surrounds himself with "yes" people who will lick his boots and NOT say "Look you were a tool, you are a tool - stay in your lane, bro!"

39 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Mentioning coffee - did you (like I) do a "spit-take" when he appeared on screen in that ridiculous hat?  It looked like something he found in a trash can because no self-respecting homeless person would wear it.

I saw it and thought - what the hell is on his head?

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Kareem said:

Weird how his conversational Russian consists of Mmmmmmm and Brrrrrrrrr.  

Like the dating site, new phone is fully equipped with a translator which these lovebirds can’t function without.  It’s probably a good one, like the one he uses on his phone. He mentioned not bothering with phone calls while in Ukraine since there was no point with the language issue.  My guess.  

Yes it didn't even occur to me until you are pointing it out.  Seven years seems like a lot of time for David to learn another language.  Why wouldn't he?  I do find it quite disturbing that he would not bother learning to communicate with "his other half".  The woman he says will make his life complete.  Where is the effort on his part to be a good partner for her?  I agree with other posters who have commented that he seems uninterested in learning anything about Lana's actual life.  Even Geoffrey managed to ask Varya which classroom was hers when they walked over to her old school.  Of course if you are in Ukraine for 8 days and only get to spend 2 days with the love of your life and she doesn't invite you to meet/spend time with family or friends that should be telling you something....,

• Love 12
12 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

So when we got married, were we supposed to yell out our nicknames or career fields? "I, David, ESQUIRE!  take you, Alexandra, CLAIMS ADJUSTER! to be my wife!"

“I, Usman, SOJABOY, take you, Lisa, DOCTOR...” 

• LOL 18

Because Geoffrey is/was doing what A LOT of guys do:  See if there is someone better/hotter/step up out there. "Yeah, Mary is sweet, kind, a good friend, etc. but I gotta check out this hot piece of Russian ass - she may be the ONE!"

Are these the same guys who complain on social media later that women don't want nice guys, they only want jerks??

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, procrasstinator said:

I do find it quite disturbing that he would not bother learning to communicate with "his other half”

Especially since he said the “Natasha type” accent has always been a turn on. I would think in his years of traveling to the Ukraine and communicating with Lana and others both online and at these “meet and greets” he would have picked up more than “da.” Even Pole learned a few words of Portuguese besides "FALLA!"

Edited to add: Maybe them using the translation device is just a producer driven gimmick and both David and Lana understand (if not speak) more of each other's languages than we are led to believe.  

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, procrasstinator said:

Of course if you are in Ukraine for 8 days and only get to spend 2 days with the love of your life and she doesn't invite you to meet/spend time with family or friends that should be telling you something....,

That’s not fair! They were at a very important 8 day hockey game!

• LOL 11

Especially since he said the “Natasha type” accent has always been a turn on. I would think in his years of traveling to the Ukraine and communicating with Lana and others both online and at these “meet and greets” he would have picked up more than “da.” Even Pole learned a few words of Portuguese besides "FALLA!"

Edited to add: Maybe them using the translation device is just a producer driven gimmick and both David and Lana understand (if not speak) more of each other's languages than we are led to believe.  

Behind the nice guy facade, I can't help but wonder if David feels a sense of entitlement because he has given Lana so much money. So he doesn't feel as if he should have to learn the language. Just a thought. A rich guy with good hair and decent verbal skills should be able to locate a 60 year old American woman to hang out with. Instead, David buys a younger model who he can control once she comes to America. Unfortunately, he is too dumb to realize he is being scammed.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

Behind the nice guy facade, I can't help but wonder if David feels a sense of entitlement because he has given Lana so much money. So he doesn't feel as if he should have to learn the language. Just a thought. A rich guy with good hair and decent verbal skills should be able to locate a 60 year old American woman to hang out with. Instead, David buys a younger model who he can control once she comes to America. Unfortunately, he is too dumb to realize he is being scammed.

Not much of a facade.  Whenever things don't go the way David wants his reaction is not to shrug it off and take life as it comes.  He insists on having things his own way whether that means he has to ignore any evidence to the contrary (given by the private investigator) or going to hunt Lana down to get the answer "he deserves".  Yes there is entitlement there, of course.  A lot of other posters have mentioned David's sense of entitlement and I totally agree with them.  I also agree David thinks he will be able to control Lana when she comes to America and that shows how completely delusional he is.  He can't even get Lana to answer the phone he buys her when he calls.  Can't get more of her time than 2 days out of 8 when he has traveled a great distance to see her.  Who's really in control?  But David refuses to face reality in any way.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Kellyee said:

Are these the same guys who complain on social media later that women don't want nice guys, they only want jerks??

You hit the nail on the head, the perennial "nice guy"

• Love 2
2 hours ago, magemaud said:

Especially since he said the “Natasha type” accent has always been a turn on. I would think in his years of traveling to the d: Maybe them using the translation device is just a producer driven gimmick and both David and Lana understand (if not speak) more of each other's languages than we are led to believe.  

Lana used several English words at the airport.  I suspect her English is MUCH better than we were shown . . . but maybe not all the way to "Natasha" level.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

What is ironic about David's infatuation with Natasha Fatale's accent is that she spoke English with a Russian accent and rarely spoke Russian, but Lana rarely speaks English and the translation app speaks for her with an American accent.  As a kid I thought Natasha's black hair & eyebrows and sense of humour made her cool, but David goes for bottle blondes who rarely speak.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, deirdra said:

What is ironic about David's infatuation with Natasha Fatale's accent is that she spoke English with a Russian accent and rarely spoke Russian, but Lana rarely speaks English and the translation app speaks for her with an American accent. 

I've been saying this all along, how could David be attracted to Lana's accent when he never heard her speak? Her unheard accent must be part of his Ukrainian woman fantasy.

• Love 9
(edited)
9 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I've been saying this all along, how could David be attracted to Lana's accent when he never heard her speak? Her unheard accent must be part of his Ukrainian woman fantasy.

Maybe she typed her replies with an accent? “Ooh, darlink, I vant to keese you zo much! I can’t vait for moose and squirrel to meet!”

Edited by Gobi
  • LOL 14
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Gobi said:

Maybe she typed her replies with an accent? “Ooh, darlink, I vant to keese you zo much! I can’t vait for moose and squirrel to meet!”

She's already met the squirrel. Oh, wait, that's his hat. 

• LOL 16
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Lana used several English words at the airport.  I suspect her English is MUCH better than we were shown . . . but maybe not all the way to "Natasha" level.

I totally agree, I bet she does know English, but pretending not to so she can act more "confused" . English is part of most European education. Varya in Russia knows English, so you can't tell me someone from the Ukraine who is roughly the same age does not speak English.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
7 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree - he probably surrounds himself with "yes" people who will lick his boots and NOT say "Look you were a tool, you are a tool - stay in your lane, bro!"

I saw it and thought - what the hell is on his head?

"Yeah, Mary is sweet, kind, a good friend, etc. but I gotta check out this  hot piece of Russian ass - she may be the ONE!"

FIFY.  (I don't think she's any where close to hot!)

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Varya in Russia knows English, so you can't tell me someone from the Ukraine who is roughly the same age does not speak English.

Natalie's English was quite good. 

• Love 6

I hate making generalized statements about a group of people or a country, but in this case... I've never met a Ukrainian, or even an eastern European, under the age of 40 who didn't have at least a rudimentary grasp of English. I updated our Ukrainian guide book and spent a month traveling all around the country visiting sites, staying in hostels, dining in off the beaten path restaurants, etc and the only people I encountered who couldn't at least carry on a basic conversation were much older than Lana-and this was 15 years ago.

I don't blame Lana, I'd play dumb, too. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

I swear i remember Lana saying she understands English fine. she said speaking it is harder, or something like that. you BET she understands and like you said, she plays dumb.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Grifter Lives said:

On her dating website profiles, she claims to speak English well.  But, maybe it was just another lie within Sergei's lies.

I did see her profile on two different websites and on the one she said her English level was "intermediate" and on the other it said she "speaks English normally." But understanding what someone is saying to you in another language and being able to formulate a response are two very different skills. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, magemaud said:

I did see her profile on two different websites and on the one she said her English level was "intermediate" and on the other it said she "speaks English normally." But understanding what someone is saying to you in another language and being able to formulate a response are two very different skills. 

True.  I've had years of Spanish and can get the meaning of most conversation, but answering with all the correct verb tenses probably isn't happening😁

It just stands to reason that a woman clearly making a living from these dating websites is going to learn English; I'd bet that most, if not all her fiances speak English.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, blubld43 said:

It just stands to reason that a woman clearly making a living from these dating websites is going to learn English; I'd bet that most, if not all her fiances speak English.

And her husband speaks English very well, too!

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, blubld43 said:

Don't forget, she's very shy! 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

"Yeah, Mary is sweet, kind, a good friend, etc. but I gotta check out this  hot piece of Russian ass - she may be the ONE!"

FIFY.  (I don't think she's any where close to hot!)

But Varya is thin, and she's younger than him. Those are the main online dating criteria for guys over age 35 like Geoffrey, Big Ed, and David. That's been my experience anyway. They would rather put up with the most horrible woman who never returns their phone calls and is scamming then for money than date someone their own age who wears a size 14. And they justify it by saying older women aren't active enough, or that they have "more in common" with younger women. They will never admit it's the trophy wife/sex thing that is motivating them, and the fantasy they have going in their heads that they're 20 years younger than they really are. I really thought Big Ed was going to get arrested for child sex trafficking when he checked into that first hotel with Rose. That's how they looked.

Some women do it too. We've seen some example, like Lisa. 

• Love 8
On 6/2/2020 at 10:31 PM, Frozendiva said:

David should come clean and admit that it is a CZ ring and that once she arrives in the US, he will replace it with a real one (most likely lab grown, since they are a bit cheaper).

YEAH!  And if he IS a millionaire, couldn't he afford a better fake?  This is $47.50 on QVC...of course there's S&H. 

image.png.3b03ac00a6b406c351f719ee56b4af01.png

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

I’d be shy too with those jacked up teeth.

WOW!  You people are tough.  I can't see Lana's teeth as "jacked-up" in any way.  The only correction I'd suggest is some whitening.  

Edited by Kayz Opinion
identified "those"
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Kayz Opinion said:

WOW!  You people are tough.  I can't see Lana's teeth as "jacked-up" in any way.  The only correction I'd suggest is some whitening.  

She usually smiles with her lips closed, but I found a few pictures of her with her teeth showing.  They don't look jacked-up to me either.  

• Love 4
On 6/3/2020 at 10:55 AM, AZChristian said:

When I was growing up, my dad had a hat like that. He liked wearing it when he went ice fishing. He called it his Boris hat. 😄

• LOL 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

She usually smiles with her lips closed, but I found a few pictures of her with her teeth showing.  They don't look jacked-up to me either.  

Remember when Ricky finally met "Melissa" (or the actress who played her) and found she had a mouth full of braces? Her photos all showed her with a sultry pout, so it must have been a shock to see her metal clad teeth. Deaven was another one whose smile could look pretty in some photos and others looked very "gummy." I think Lana also looks more attractive in her closed lip photos, but her teeth aren't THAT bad. 

If she ever gets to the US, she can go to Darcey's dentist for blinding white veneers! Or she could to the same dentist as David's friend

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Remember when Ricky finally met "Melissa" (or the actress who played her) and found she had a mouth full of braces? Her photos all showed her with a sultry pout, so it must have been a shock to see her metal clad teeth. Deaven was another one whose smile could look pretty in some photos and others looked very "gummy." I think Lana also looks more attractive in her closed lip photos, but her teeth aren't THAT bad. 

If she ever gets to the US, she can go to Darcey's dentist for blinding white veneers! Or she could to the same dentist as David's friend

You don’t need blinding white but lemon yellow is nasty.

• LOL 1

I actually don't think Varya is unattractive.  She has great coloring (dark hair, blue eyes) and I suspect that she's one of those people who is more attractive in person.  I think she's a bit more "fresh" than Mary, who is also not a bad looking woman but appears several years older.  

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Kellyee said:

But Varya is thin, and she's younger than him. Those are the main online dating criteria for guys over age 35 like Geoffrey, Big Ed, and David. That's been my experience anyway. They would rather put up with the most horrible woman who never returns their phone calls and is scamming then for money than date someone their own age who wears a size 14. And they justify it by saying older women aren't active enough, or that they have "more in common" with younger women. They will never admit it's the trophy wife/sex thing that is motivating them, and the fantasy they have going in their heads that they're 20 years younger than they really are. I really thought Big Ed was going to get arrested for child sex trafficking when he checked into that first hotel with Rose. That's how they looked.

Some women do it too. We've seen some example, like Lisa. 

Someone significantly younger than you is not likely to challenge you. Usually they are not equals. You have the upper hand and it is financial, educational, social, etc. I think I read somewhere that Juliana is working on getting her US high school equivalency - maybe for increased job opportunities. At least she shows some plan of helping herself. Lana does not seem the type of woman who would enjoy an RV for months on end.

• Love 6

I can read and understand spoken French & Spanish but I am out of practice speaking them and a perfectionist, so trying to speak nearly paralyzes me because I am worried about using the correct sentence structure, tense, and perfect words & pronunciation.  And I often think of the Spanish or Latin word when I am trying to speak French.  I know it is the wrong word, but once it is in my head, it is hard to block it out so I can think of the right one.   

• Love 3
(edited)

Lisa and Angela both work with hospice patients. (What are the odds) When Lisa met “Mommy” she explained that her job was working in the medical field but Usman translated it as Lisa being a doctor (I guess in terms his mother could understand)

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 2