Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E14: Grand Finale

• Start Topic

The top 3 queens compete in a revolutionary lip sync battle for the crown. The finale boasts special celeb appearances, the announcement of Miss Congeniality, and show-stopping performances.

Airs May 29, 2020.

• Love 1

I was rooting for Gina, but I’m happy for Jaida. She is so elegant. 

Crystal made me laugh so hard. Gina was absolutely stunning. 

I‘d predicted Heidi’s win for Miss Congeniality, and I was so glad to see how thrilled she was. 

looking forward to All Stars 

• Love 7

Kudos to the producers and crew for putting this together. Though, is Ru trolling us, with the strange masks? I mean, I know you can't have a makeup artist now, but I hear there are plenty of youtube tutorials...

I really did like the close-up lip sync, and I hope that becomes a feature of the finale going forward. Possibly the creative home lip sync as well. Love that Heidi won MIss Congeniality, and that everybody got a Pantene cash tip. Loved Dolly Parton, goes without saying, and I was really kind of hoping it was going to end up as a three-way tie. If All-Stars 4 could have a tie, why not now?

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
11 minutes ago, Ananayel said:

Kudos to the producers and crew for putting this together. Though, is Ru trolling us, with the strange masks? I mean, I know you can't have a makeup artist now, but I hear there are plenty of youtube tutorials...

I really did like the close-up lip sync, and I hope that becomes a feature of the finale going forward. Possibly the creative home lip sync as well. Love that Heidi won MIss Congeniality, and that everybody got a Pantene cash tip. Loved Dolly Parton, goes without saying, and I was really kind of hoping it was going to end up as a three-way tie. If All-Stars 4 could have a tie, why not now?

jfi9818f76i21.png

And that was the last time Ru did her own face.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

I thought Gigi won the close-up lip sync and Crystal and Gigi tied in the creative home lip sync (though I could've done without the bird feeding, lol). To this day, "Take on Me" is my favorite video of all time.

That said, Jaida slayed the final song and looked stunning.

I enjoyed this a lot and thought they put on a good show, all things considered. Congratulations to Heidi for her well- deserved Miss Congeniality win, and congratulations to Jaida Essence Hall for taking the crown!

• Love 15

I adored all three of the self-produced videos - so different and yet so fantastic and illustrative of their individual styles. Strictly lip-synching-wise, I kinda thought Gigi might take it, but Jaida is a worthy winner. This season was truly one of the strongest, and I genuinely won't even remember there was another queen somewhere in there. I hope it goes to show Ru and the producers that no one needs a seriously nasty and unpleasant villain. 

Holy shit, Adam Lambert is stunningly beautiful.

• Love 12

Bam! That was so jam-packed I'm dizzy.

Prior to the episode, I thought Gigi had it in the bag, and then I thought Crystal might just wacky her way to the win, but I didn't see Jaida scooping the crown.

Jaida won the closeup lipsync, I thought. Then faded out a bit in the next performance, compared to the flair and creativity of Crystal and Gigi. I really thought, after the first two lipsyncs, Jaida would be out.

I didn't focus on her in the final one, as I was mesmerized by Gigi's costume change - that was really clever. So, I was a bit, What?@!, at the winner announcement, at first. But on rewatch of the final lipsync I see why Jaida won. Because the passion and the power, and the embodiment of the song, always matter more to Ru and she had that in spades. Plus funny, unassuming, polished, and with heart.

Anyway, they all would have been worthy winners. What a great season (minus that other bit).

Great to see Heidi get some cash! And really nice that all the girls left got 2 grand, also. I will buy Pantene as thanks for that!

• Love 6

Crystal and Gigi have amazing careers ahead of them, but IMO Jaida's the fullest package at this time, so I'm really happy she took the crown. Her second lip-sync obviously wasn't as creative as the other two—couldn't you have used a gummi worm, Crystal?—but even then I was struck by her magnetism. I wouldn't have been mad with any of the three winning, but on the whole I think this was the right call. And yay for Heidi!

I feel like the only real loser tonight was Sherry. Warms my heart, it does.

Over half the cast wasn't even born when Madonna did the Rock the Vote ad...

• Love 12

Yes, i agree, an excellent winner. I shall have to watch again with a different lens. I always enjoyed the Essence Hall talking heads the most, too.

It is such an excellent cast of twelve - I wish All Stars 6 was just the whole lot of them back again.

• Love 3

magnet.jpeg.8183b140bfe4a6ce26043b4fa3f16fc6.jpeg

Speaking as someone who has the above fridge magnet, I found Crystal's 2nd lip synch equal parts hilarious and bizarre. It did, um, crystalize something for me: namely, that Crystal really needs to go on to be the host of a children's show. She's totally a Pee Wee Herman. I say this not in a "what she's doing is not drag!!" way, but more to appreciate how "female impersonation" is only one of the tools in her arsenal, and the way she truly seems to have this expansive notion of what drag can be.

Also, the way Crystal, in the penultimate episode, uptalked the lines, "Jackie is like, meeping? And it's making me really uncomfortable," will forever be my main takeaway from Season 12.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

First of all, I cannot believe that Ru resorted to wearing one of those masks AGAIN. Seriously, if you can't do your own makeup anymore, you have gotten seriously out of touch.

I liked the rock the vote video that the queens did. The Madonna one was so memorable.

I felt bad for the contestants because the finale should be a raucous celebration with their friends and family in the audience cheering them on. Instead we got zoom interviews. Even worse, the second LSFYL was a really difficult challenge to do during a pandemic. Many people do not have huge houses or access to props/costumes/backdrops to create an entire performance with in their living rooms.

Crystal's farting pinata costume totally cracked me up. She's such a weirdo and I love it. During the face LSFYL, I thought all the makeup might put her at a disadvantage but she managed to be really expressive even with all the asymmetry and colors. Her various bird costumes for "I'm Like a Bird" made me laugh too. I appreciated that the feathered costumes and the painted backdrop were clearly homemade.

Gigi was the clear loser in the first LSFYL. She had the same dull/blank facial expression for the entire song, which just goes to show that without her amazing costumes, there isn't much there. It costs you nothing to sit in front of a mirror and practice different facial expressions. Her Take on Me LSFYL was better because she got to rely on everything else (backdrop, costume, minimal dancing) but I wish she had spent more time working on her performance instead of making that backdrop (which was pretty impressive).

Jaida's Ciara LSFYL was the most traditional of the three which is why I liked it. She didn't rely on costumes, backdrops, or anything but actually performing. Even without the dancing, she had the best performance.

Gigi should have been eliminated. The judges were really stretching to compliment her face LSFYL. Her blinking was impressive? Bitch, please.

Jaida was the clear winner of the final LSFYL. Her costume, her makeup, her choreography, her performance - everything suited the song. Ha, loved the crown on her cape. I didn't understand Gigi's Wizard of Oz costume choice for Survivor. Crystal was being her usual wacky self which was exactly what I expected from her.

I'm so happy for Jaida! She really did well in the finale and deserved to win.

I like Gigi but she was not the complete package for me. When she prepares, she is capable of being pretty good (her Snatch Game robot was funny because she had time to work on it but most of her performances in the skits were lacking for me).

I love Crystal because even without all the costumes and makeup, she is still such a lovable and unique weirdo. Don't get me wrong - I love how out there her costumes were this season, but I also love that even during her talking heads or her time in the workroom, it's obvious that she marches to the beat of her own drum.

I really enjoyed this season and I'm glad that they kept SP to a minimum. I just wish they had minimized Brita as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Jaida is a worthy winner,  congratulations.   I loved how she did the work during her Ciara lipsync and the final.  She did not rely on costumes or the background like Gigi.   It was all her. Crystal is a loveable weirdo,  but after Yvie won last year I knew she wasn't going to win.

I wonder if Ru had some work done and used the masks to cover the healing process.   

• Love 7

I knew Jaida had it in the bag the moment she whipped off the orange cape.  I kept wondering who Gigi reminded me of during LSFYL and it came to me - Nancy Kerrigan!  I think it’s the very strong jawline.  Sadly, in spite of her very colorful costume, Crystal did not stand out in LSFYL.  I’m glad Heidi won her award!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I was disappointed in Ru with the mask again- it was unattractive and distracting. I adore Crystal but her makeup was heavy and goopy to the point you could barely see her face. And she might have had a chance if she threw in a little glam. Milwaukee is my hometown so I was happy and surprised at Jaida’s win.

Gigi has amazing clothes and accessories and if she can continue to hone her funny side she will be great. I did feel bad for the queens who didn’t get the full finale experience.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

First of all, I cannot believe that Ru resorted to wearing one of those masks AGAIN. Seriously, if you can't do your own makeup anymore, you have gotten seriously out of touch.

I don't disagree about being able to do one's own makeup, but the finale was almost certainly completely filmed well before the reunion aired. So it's not as though Ru knew how poorly the first mask was received and could change it for the finale. If the people involved didn't stop it the first time, it wasn't going to get changed for the second.

• Love 2

Am I the only one who thought Crystal's self-produced video was easily the weakest of the three?

I mean, I get that being out-there and freaky is Crystal's thing. But that was just weird for the sake of being weird (and gross for the sake of being gross), and it had nothing to do with the song, aside from the general bird theme.

• Love 13

I think Ru had work done on his face and was still healing. 

Jaida was the winner I wanted. Crystal's face in the first LSFTC was hella distracting. Gigi was blinking so much.  Jaida was gorgeous as usual.

I will give Gigi the second LSFTC; "Take on Me" was one of my favorite songs and it was hella imaginative to recreate the video. That was a production!  But Gigi lost it for me when she decided to do Destiny's Child in that Dorothy/Wizard of Oz getup.  Talk about not embodying the song!

Ready for All-Stars!

• Love 4

I really hope that at one point down the line they do another "roast Ru" challenge...partly because she has just provided a LOT of material with her facekini (and the especially creepy facekini/giant eye combination...what the HELL was that????), but partly because the last time, none of the contestants really called her out on the "practice what you preach" level. It would have been so easy to point out how she demonstrate her broad range in her wigs, which show all the fifty shades of blonde, or that she always falls back on the same Silhouette. Bonus points for mentioning that even her snores are available on i-tunes, and that whenever one tries to remember season one, the result is kind of blurry. Also, even Silky at least had painted her lips when she was read for not wearing any make-up under her facekini.

Currently this thing is especially awkward because it keeps reminding me of those idiots who go into the shops wearing a face mask with holes before mouth and nose so that they "can properly breath".

Otherwise I feel that the Corona situation was actually a case of luck for the finale. The whole lip sinc against each other concept was fine in season 9, to make up for all the sh... ones during the season and also okay in season 10, because all four finale contestants were really strong in that department. But in general, I don't really feel comfortable with judging the queens by this one ability. What if someone is not particularly good in this ones aspect, but has great looks and impressive acting abilities instead? Or great stand-up? I always felt that the finale would be better if the queens were challenged to put together a performance which represents them. Those home-made performances are not quite what I have in mind, but at least they could insert way more personality into them than they would have been able to do if they had to perform on stage without even knowing exactly what song they might get. I haven't been that invested in a lip sinc for a long, long time....

That my slight favourite won is the cherry on the top.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Blakeston said:

it had nothing to do with the song, aside from the general bird theme.

That's the thing that makes it funny, though, imo. The song is obviously not literally about birds, so the dumbest thing you could do is ignore that and perform it literally. I don't know, that's the kind of humor I enjoy the most, so even though I agree that the performance wasn't as strong as the other two, I still appreciated it a lot.

• Love 8

Overall, the format this week was not as successful as last week's reunion show but still sufficient given the current circumstances.  But I did enjoy all of the celebrity videos they got (love Rachel Bloom!).  Though the one celebrity who was visibly absent was Leslie Jones.  Maybe it was just a coincidence but perhaps Leslie's relations with the show soured after all of that Brita drama? 

There were aspects that I could see them adapting for future (presumably live) finales - like the self-made at home videos.  In particular, I could see the show tasking each of the final queens to self-direct/produce a video of their own (a la Youtube, Tik Tok, etc) and giving them equal resources ($, equipment, etc) to do it.  With social media such a crucial part of sustaining success for entertainers these days, this could give Ru an idea of the type of content the queens would produce post-show.

Also, I really enjoyed the quick glimpses of the behind the scenes with the queens and their partners/family/friends helping them.  It would have been cool to have a short segment dedicated to this.  Oh, and more Mother Goode please!

10 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Am I the only one who thought Crystal's self-produced video was easily the weakest of the three?

For me, the part I didn't like was that is was another face-centric lip sync.  And since we saw her video not long after the up close lip sync, it felt a bit redundant.  Plus, since Crystal's "entrance" look was the pinata, we didn't get to see a true full body performance shot of Crystal until the final lip sync.

13 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Crystal is a loveable weirdo,  but after Yvie won last year I knew she wasn't going to win.

Agreed.  I think Ru prefers to have variety in her winners.  Gigi always reminded me of Aquaria (young fashion queen who proved she talented in other areas) so that's why I felt her chances of winning were lower as well.  Jaida reminds me more of the "traditional" pageant queens but as other posters have mentioned, she is very well-rounded and a deserving winner.

• Love 4

Add me to the “Take On Me” fans... something about the opening notes makes me instantly happy, and I was delighted to see that Gigi had chosen it.

Crystal’s bird performance was fun, but I agree that it probably lost points for consisting entirely of face and props. And as was previously noted, there was no way she was going to win the year after Yvie. But she probably knew that, so it was nice to see her decide to fly the freak flag at full staff and just have a good time with it.

I hope the producers will find a way to incorporate the creativity of the home presentations into future seasons. Those self-produced videos showcased their talents and personality in a way that costumes and makeup alone cannot, and were a whole lot of fun besides. That round made the show, for me.

Like @violet and green, I also thought Gigi had won the final lip synch, on first watch. I admit to being dazzled by the perfectly executed costume change, but mostly I think her center screen position was what really drew focus. When I rewatched and focused my attention on Jaida, off to the right, I could see that hers was the stronger performance overall.

I liked Jaida throughout the season, so I was happy for her win. (Although to be honest, I wouldn’t have been mad to see any of them take the crown.) I wonder how long it’s going to take before Jaida gets tired of people shouting “look over there!” at her...

• Love 3

I think while Jaiden's was on the surface the most "conservative" of the three due to the lack of a gimmick, it was nevertheless the best. The Bird thing was funny, but it got old VERY fast and should have been intercut by Crystal doing some actual moves in a bird costume. Or, to put it differently: It was a mistake to draw out one joke over the whole song. Gigi's background and effects were impressive, but the whole thing was shot more or less from the same angle the whole time, with her repeating roughly the same movements. Jaiden on the other hand constantly changed the angles and switched up her moves. There were some repetitions, but it was the only vid which actually took full advantage of the format.

• Love 5
On 5/30/2020 at 8:03 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Jaida is a worthy winner,  congratulations.   I loved how she did the work during her Ciara lipsync and the final.  She did not rely on costumes or the background like Gigi.   It was all her. Crystal is a loveable weirdo,  but after Yvie won last year I knew she wasn't going to win.

I wonder if Ru had some work done and used the masks to cover the healing process.   

I thought maybe the Botox wore off. 

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, zenithwit said:

Agreed.  I think Ru prefers to have variety in her winners.  Gigi always reminded me of Aquaria (young fashion queen who proved she talented in other areas) so that's why I felt her chances of winning were lower as well.  Jaida reminds me more of the "traditional" pageant queens but as other posters have mentioned, she is very well-rounded and a deserving winner.

Is Jaida the first pageant queen to win a regular season since...Tyra?

• Love 1

Congrats to Jaida Essense Hall. I have a strong aversion to webcam video production, so I fast-forwarded/skipped through most of the show, so I can't say a whole lot. I did stop to watch Heidi's bit and that was amusing for what it was.

For me, Crystal Methyd is starting to read more as a children's entertainer rather than a drag queen. I'm watching the opening and thinking to myself what does dressing as a life-size piñata have to do with drag? At some point, Ross Mathews or whomever can say drag has "no rules" but that allows it to be stretched to the point of meaning nothing. I'm not trying to take anything away from Ms. Methyd, but she creates these characters that would be more at home in some messed-up Mr. Rogers Land of Make-Believe. Even her music video looks like something my nieces and nephews would see on Youtube (I however got bored after 15-20 seconds). I think some of her other looks were inspired by children's shows like Power Puff Girls and Pee-Wee's Playhouse, so she does have a tendency to run in that direction. I do enjoy a lot of Crystal's looks, such as the ice challenge and especially the Bert/Ernie team (if the last image I see before on my death bed is a picture of those two, I'll die with a smile on my face) where she's actively playing around with genderfucking type of drag, but the piñata, the cow, and even the Freddy Krueger are just clubkid wear. 

I've grown tired of Gigi. 

On the C.U.N.T. scale,  Jaida really excels in the T-department. She's just so talented. Because it's a tv show, uniqueness has been weighted more heavily, but a lot of times that can come off as gimmicky. Her dancing in her living room and killing it really showed the difference between her and the other competitors. It's refreshing. 

• Love 7

I'm cool with the weirdness of face-kini Ru, and respect her as the ultimate arbiter of who should wear her crown, regardless of who's beating her mug.

Totally thought Gigi won the closeup lipsync, as soon as she started blinking to the beat. She used her whole face the whole time. Like one of the judges said, Jaida was smart to use the tight frame well. But Gigi had me locked in. And Crystal, I love her, loved the piñata, but...uhuh.

8 hours ago, swanpride said:

Jaiden on the other hand constantly changed the angles and switched up her moves.

That's what sold her video to me -- plus she threw some respect for Ciara into the performance, which I appreciated. Wasn't no Nelly Furtado in Crystal's, which is cool, because Crystal has so much personality. I was still done with those birds rather quickly. Gigi's video had a nice backdrop and costume change, and that's all I have to say about that.

I'm happy for this final three, and wish them all the best. Jaida is a little old-school for my tastes, but her heart, humor, and beauty won me over. And her drag persona is so polished. She earned this title.

• Love 7

Regarding Crystal coming off more as a children entertainer...weirdly I just thought this week about the various things drag queens could do to stretch into now areas and one thought I had was "It would be kind of neat to have a children show moderated by a drag queen in order to normalise the notion of gender being somewhat fluid more". I now realise that Crystal would be perfect in a show like this. Sadly I fear that the US isn't ready yet.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, JohnnyGilda said:

I'm cool with the weirdness of face-kini Ru, and respect her as the ultimate arbiter of who should wear her crown, regardless of who's beating her mug.

Totally thought Gigi won the closeup lipsync, as soon as she started blinking to the beat. She used her whole face the whole time. Like one of the judges said, Jaida was smart to use the tight frame well. But Gigi had me locked in. And Crystal, I love her, loved the piñata, but...uhuh.

I liked the Spanish flavor of Ru's bedazzled mask and hat look. Very Zorro. 

Totally agree that Gigi won the closeup lipsync. She gave full face and kept her movements sharp and to the point. Very expressive without overkill.

• Love 2

Regarding Jaida being pageant, I feel like her drag is elevated - she's got a great urban flair that she pulls off seemingly effortlessly. I'm always excited to see her looks, they are all so different and totally pulled together from hair and makeup to accessories.

I also loved all the love the queens gave each other. Such a great season, with three amazing finalists. 

• Love 1

I'm so happy with this outcome.  I thought I'd not have a preference, because I really like Gigi and Crystal too, but the last couple days, I realized I really, really wanted Jaida to win.  Good for her!

I really did like the closeup lip sync. So many times, the lipsyncs become flipping, twirling, kicking, splits-ing, death-dropping, shoe-flinging, wig-yanking, costume breakway-ing shenanigans, to the point where you sometimes can't even see the contestants' mouths to suss out if they even know the words. I'm not a huge Coco Montrese fan, but her Paula Abdul lipsync where she stood still, head-on to the judges and just pointed at her lips while pretty flawlessly syncing the fast staccato part is how it should be done, at least once in a while.

• Love 8
(edited)

Congrats to the production team and queens for making this show.  I enjoyed seeing how some of the queens evolved over the last year.  Aiden appears to be in a much better headspace, and her makeup has improved a lot.  Also, it was a delight to see Rockem's goofy fearless side and anime talents.  

I though Gigi won the first LSFYL.  In particular, I liked that she looked off camera to say "where my girls at, bring them back."  Her facial expressions and choice of words to LS were perfect imo.  Jaida was too close to the camera.  She suffered from bad camera work and looked like she was trying too hard.  That said, Jaida has been my favorite all season, so I am glad she won.

Hang on... Ru made a song called "Bring Back My Girls?"  WTF?

I thought that current Gigi (in the pointy bra blue dress) looked a bit haggard. I wonder if as Gigi gets older she will look less feminine.

I wonder if the $2000 to each of the twelve queens was designed basically as an extra FU to s*****p**.

Lastly, I think that Crystal belongs on America's Got Talent.  She could do a Vegas show all by herself.

Edited by Just Carol
  • Love 2

I read elsewhere that Gigi had to reshoot her second video because she shot it at a studio (NOT at home as they were instructed to do). Normally I wouldn't post info like this without a source, but honestly I have read so much stuff online in the last few days that I can't remember where I originally saw this info (so feel free to take it with a grain of salt).

• Useful 1
22 hours ago, Impalace said:

I thought maybe the Botox wore off. 

Ru is no mere mortal.  I strongly suspect the dermatologists and plastic surgeons to the stars have been making house calls since March.  

21 hours ago, swanpride said:

Regarding Crystal coming off more as a children entertainer...weirdly I just thought this week about the various things drag queens could do to stretch into now areas and one thought I had was "It would be kind of neat to have a children show moderated by a drag queen in order to normalise the notion of gender being somewhat fluid more". I now realise that Crystal would be perfect in a show like this. Sadly I fear that the US isn't ready yet.

Nina West has been doing this on her youtube channel.  She has storytime with Nina and a children's album.

• Love 2
On 5/29/2020 at 7:10 PM, jonaswan2 said:

jfi9818f76i21.png

And that was the last time Ru did her own face.

Before I read the comments, I was going to say that nothing Ru could've done to style herself would've made her lose credibility as much as doing half a luchador mask and nothing else.  Thanks for proving me wrong.

I think the production team, and the queens themselves, are to be commended for making lemonade.  We could hardly have asked for a more coherent or professional result under the circumstances.  I thought it all came together well.

I said two weeks ago that I'd be happy whoever won of these three, and I meant it, but I was certainly pleased for Jaida.  I think it was a great season in the end.

I did think Aiden looked great.  And apropos of nothing else, Rachel Bloom looked fantastic and seemed to be having lots of fun.  I don't really know her but I'd like to see her again.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, 853fisher said:

apropos of nothing else, Rachel Bloom looked fantastic and seemed to be having lots of fun.  I don't really know her but I'd like to see her again.

You should give Crazy Ex-Girlfriend a watch. She is awesome!

4 hours ago, RoxiP said:

There is a really cute video of Gigi Goode doing Jeffree Starr's makeup to look like Gigi.  

That's a really unfortunate choice of people to associate with on Gigi's part.

• Love 6