Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Regatta Go!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, GreyBunny said:

As for them being American (and Glenn Canadian), that doesn’t mean shit. Try to pull that card and you’ll get laughed at. They’re on a British flagged ship in Greek waters subject to international maritime law, as well as charter company policy and any rules the boat owner laid down. The US Constitution means nothing here.

I’m laughing now! 😄

Not much else to say about the charter or the season. Aside from Paget, upper management was terrible. Byron was kind of a creep, Jenna and Adam were just horrible. Horrible as people and horrible as co-workers and bosses. 

Paget hasn’t lived that much. He still sees himself as a chubby, unattractive guy and he’s not. He’s attractive and will attract female attention. Methinks he’ll want to sow some wild oats but he’ll have to breakup with Ciera first. Whether it’s worth it to lose her, I don’t know. I think she’s an anchor (in the good way) for him. For some reason I think he needs her more than she needs him.

Ciera played her hand well. She gave him plenty of rope and left it to him to hang himself, or not. It appears that he did not, in fact, hang himself.

Georgia and Madison are a couple of complicated characters. In some ways I like them both but in other ways, I see room for improvement. I’m not as sure as Madison is that she’s ready to be chief stew but she works hard and under very difficult circumstances. I think it speaks volumes that she didn’t feel comfortable waking Jenna for help the night of the insane party with vomiting locals brought back to the boat.

Parker was a nitwit and I’d like an update on Chris’s herniated back.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I did see scenes of him staring off into the distance as I think he would have been very embarrassed and hurt by this unfounded allegation and personal humiliation. He must have felt very alone when none of his “friends” stepped up to defend him.

I know this is a TV show but they were really out of line. He had to feel pressured to agree to this illegal search. His protest later was weak and ineffectual.

You keep calling it an illegal search.  It wasn’t.  As many have pointed out, it was perfectly legal.  And the guest’s rights as an American are irrelevant and invalid, as this was a British (or Australian?) boat in international water.

I also noticed that Glenn said something about not finding any drugs doesn’t mean that there weren’t any....

I just think it’s interesting that the see-everything editors, as well as the other guests, his own friends, noticed the guy  acting strange or suspected him of being high.  

• Love 17

I certainly don’t know all the ramifications of maritime law or the protocols and Davy Jones locker or whatever people want to cite to justify searching someone’s belongings on the second hand word of a deck hand on pain killers. People are sheep and allow themselves to be abused to be on TV. The fact is there were no drugs or drug residue or drug paraphernalia found. This dude wasn’t a master criminal. Nothing was found because nothing was there. This was straight up wrong and Captain Glenn was way out of line. I think that guest should have raised a stink.

They knew they were wrong because they were shitting themselves that the guest would be pissed and there would be no tip

• LOL 2
17 hours ago, endure said:

I don’t think I will ever understand why Georgia felt she should confide in Ciera.

Wondering same. (and I am prob alone, but I think Georgia and Paget would be a great couple, and  I might be delusional) Anyhoo….I did think it might have been due to fact Ciara and Paget would be watching the show after filming, and better fess up now. But on her Birthday, last day and having a party with just the crew? Nope...timing was not respectful to Ciera and could have blown up.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, sharkerbaby said:

ahh, but an obscene number of us seem to believe being American somehow affords us some special dispensation and why much of the world see us as self indulgent, self righteous, and entitled.  

That’s a great example of privilege, expecting to be treated in the manner you want to be treated.

I think it’s the source of the stereotypical Ugly American as well.

When traveling abroad you are a guest in your host country and you are an ambassador of your home country. Both the guest and the ambassador will want to conduct themselves appropriately.

I’ll leave that to the reader to determine what that means for them but traveling to other countries offers a great opportunity to expand your understanding of the world (and your place in it).

I’m glad these charter guests were able to enjoy most of this trip.

• Love 18
45 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

People are sheep and allow themselves to be abused tobe on TV.....This was straight up wrong and Captain Glenn was way out of line. 

The captain was totally within his rights to search the guest’s stuff.  And the guest complied not because he’s a sheep, but because he had no choice.  

• Love 21
5 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Martime law doens't depend on a country. It's an interntional one : www.un.org/Depts/los/LEGISLATIONANDTREATIES/PDFFILES/ESP_1992_Act.pdf 

Gonna go consult Chereth Cutestory on this. BRB. 

If Captain Glenn had found some drugs in the passengers possession what would he have done next, it’s obvious it would have probably been personal use only as he was not likely to be a drug smuggler.  I find Glen a bit awkward in the role of authority in most of the situations he was in.  Maybe he had some handcuffs at the ready just in case.

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, endure said:

If Captain Glenn had found some drugs in the passengers possession what would he have done next, it’s obvious it would have probably been personal use only as he was not likely to be a drug smuggler.  I find Glen a bit awkward in the role of authority in most of the situations he was in.  Maybe he had some handcuffs at the ready just in case.

I imagine he would do what Lee did on the first episode of the show, return the boat to port and kick them off but not call the authorities. 

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

The captain was totally within his rights to search the guest’s stuff.  And the guest complied not because he’s a sheep, but because he had no choice.  

He had a choice. He could have told Captain Glenn to fuck off. Sure he could have thrown him off the boat. Off the TV show. On the basis of what Jenna and Chris had to say.

I don’t think it makes you an “Ugly American” because you stand up for your rights. I don’t understand how anyone could think that this is ok. 

There were no drugs. There was nothing but a Scheana edit to hype up drama. What a bunch of bullshit.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I would believe this drug thing was an honest misunderstanding.

But Billy and Glen having that face-off seems premeditated by the producers.

Maybe the camera crew happened to be with Billy and he decided on his own to go confront the captain and they just tagged along.

More than likely, they had to make sure Glen was there at that particular time and they told the two men where to stand so the crew would film them just right.

Or maybe Billy didn't really care his cabin and belongings were searched but the producers told him, you should tell the captain about your displeasure.  Or better yet, express some emotion about it by saying this or this.

Or maybe the whole thing from the beginning was a story idea the producers kept in their backpackers to "spice up" the charter a bit.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I don’t think it makes you an “Ugly American” because you stand up for your rights. I don’t understand how anyone could think that this is ok. 

Which rights are you referring to?

• Love 15

My husband's boss was on a diving trip off the coast of Mexico. The Mexican coast guard randomly boarded the boat he was on. If drug were found, they would have gone to prison.

The guest told Captain Glenn that he did not bring drugs on board. That does not mean that someone else didn't bring the drugs for him.  He didn't say he didn't use drugs on board.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, WaterSpirit said:

Wondering same. (and I am prob alone, but I think Georgia and Paget would be a great couple, and  I might be delusional) Anyhoo….I did think it might have been due to fact Ciara and Paget would be watching the show after filming, and better fess up now. But on her Birthday, last day and having a party with just the crew? Nope...timing was not respectful to Ciera and could have blown up.

All they've ever shown is her flirting with him a bit, mostly with banter.

She didn't cross any lines.

So there was really no reason to confess, other than to have a dramatic convo or awkwardness that they can cut to make it seem like it's a lot more than it is, in the previews or the little teasers going into commercial breaks.

I suspect the producers really prodded Georgia to talk to Ciara and then later for Paget to talk to her.

Like I said, maybe she agreed to do it so they'd feature her singing her songs on air.

Because she really had nothing to confess about, that maybe she liked him and flirted but never went further, unless it was off camera or she had to beg them not to air some footage.

• Love 2

There was no drug conviction. There were no drugs. Just a search that never should have happened based on the word of an incompetent stew.

Captain Glen let a bunch of Meatheads run wild and didn’t do shit. But I guess he found someone he could intimidate. And be praised for it.

I think I would never go on a boat that Captain Glenn was involved with after this.

• LOL 1

The guests are all mic’d, cameras are in every room, and the Below Deck cameramen are filming everything, all day.  Remember they not only showed the guy (Billy) looking and acting stoned, but they also included his trips to the bathroom, with the sound effect of him snorting something.

My guess is the cameramen and producers or whoever’s watching the footage strongly suspected Billy of doing coke, and instructed Jenna (and Chris, who maybe noticed it on his own) to tell the captain.  That’s why Jenna’s “I saw white stuff under his nose” claim was so weak, and it’s why no one seemed to blame Jenna when no drugs were found.  I think the suspicion of drug use was real, but the Jenna/captain drama was manipulated by the show.  

• Love 11
(edited)
59 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

There was no drug conviction. There were no drugs. Just a search that never should have happened based on the word of an incompetent stew.

Captain Glen let a bunch of Meatheads run wild and didn’t do shit. But I guess he found someone he could intimidate. And be praised for it.

I think I would never go on a boat that Captain Glenn was involved with after this.

That statement is immaterial.  In many countries the need to prove cause before a search can be done is, as the saying goes, a "foreign concept" and not required.  Search and seizure can be done ad hoc and at random and without the need to apologize or compensate when and if nothing is found.  Heck even in the US you can be searched with even the flimsiest of reasons, if a law enforcement officer thinks maybe possibly he/she got a slight wiff of something illegal you can be subject to search.  Moreover, this was not a search for criminal or even civil prosecution so your protections even in the US are minimal, this was private property.  The owner or his/her/their representative can ask you to leave for virtually any reason, you do not have a RIGHT to be there even if you have prepaid for the privilege.  

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, scrb said:

I suspect the producers really prodded Georgia to talk to Ciara and then later for Paget to talk to her.

This is what I presumed happened.  Otherwise, she essentially humiliated herself for no real reason.

• Love 3
On 5/25/2020 at 9:13 PM, aqusdealer said:

Absolutely! She doesn't give a damn about Billy's trip....just that she might have affected the tip.

That and she was looking to distract from Glen scolding her. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, TexasGal said:

The most I've liked Ciara was when she just said "I know" to Georgia's big confession.  I don't know what reaction Georgia expected but it certainly wasn't that.

It was funny when everyone was joking about Paget grooving to Georgia's last performance.  Of her one song, which shockingly was exactly the song Paget wanted to hear even though he couldn't remember which one he wanted. 😂

I disliked Ciara all season but she redeemed herself to me during this final episode. And when she made the comment about "hoping she never hears that song again", I was nodding my head. 

• Love 13
(edited)
7 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Once again, they’re not in the US. They don’t have American rights. 

Even if they were, the 4th amendment is about search and seizure without a warrant by law enforcement without probable cause. Glenn is not law enforcement, he’s the captain of a boat, he’s in charge of a very expensive piece of private property subject to layers of harsh anti-drug laws. Two of his staff reported this guy acting weird with white powder under his nose, that’s probable cause. He had reasonable suspicion to think this guy was using illegal drugs on the boat he’s responsible for and he had every right to investigate including digging through bags.

Doesn’t matter anyway since the guy consented to the search, and no, he wasn’t coerced. There was nothing stopping him from saying no. 

There were no drugs. 

Glenn didn’t know that until after he searched.

Just a search that never should have happened based on the word of an incompetent stew.

It was one of the few times she was competent. The only problem was she should have gone to Glenn immediately instead of waiting to report it.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 17
8 hours ago, scrb said:

I would believe this drug thing was an honest misunderstanding.

But Billy and Glen having that face-off seems premeditated by the producers.

Maybe the camera crew happened to be with Billy and he decided on his own to go confront the captain and they just tagged along.

More than likely, they had to make sure Glen was there at that particular time and they told the two men where to stand so the crew would film them just right.

Or maybe Billy didn't really care his cabin and belongings were searched but the producers told him, you should tell the captain about your displeasure.  Or better yet, express some emotion about it by saying this or this.

Or maybe the whole thing from the beginning was a story idea the producers kept in their backpackers to "spice up" the charter a bit.

Your last sentence says it all. This show was so lame that they had to look to past seasons for a plot to liven thigns up. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

Martime law doens't depend on a country. It's an interntional one

That's not what I was referring to. Maritime law applies when you're out of any country's territorial waters. As I said, which actual laws apply depends on, among other things, a boat's location. Local laws take precedence. As Parsifal was within Grecian waters at anchor, those are the first laws that would be enforced.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Lamima said:

But I do agree, kinda, with Jenna and Byron about the new kids being different. They all seem to need praise (all the Below Deck shows' young crew...it is a common issue). They can't take any kind of guidance as they take offense as if being criticized. And they all seem to have a high focus on themselves (like Parker reading his mom's letter at the crew dinner out and asking waiter to make sure no interuptions...then Georgia reading her letter to Padget had a lot of me, me, me in the letter). Very self absorbed and lazy. Georgia finally got her groove, work wise but still never really seemed to do all that much, never seemed to hussle it. 

I agree with several of these statements though I don't have enough information about how crews work during non-televised yachting seasons, so I can't say whether kids today all have trouble with the hierarchy of a boat or want others to focus on them, or if it's just the people that are chosen to be on this show.  But I will say that I'm quite a few years older than Byron and I've always appreciated a "thank you" or "good job" from my supervisor.  I also dole those out quite frequently to people I work with or interact with.  It's just polite and H takes two seconds, literally.  Heck, I've even been known to send an unsolicited email to someone's supervisor to tell the supervisor how helpful the employee was.  Where I work, that shirt matters and helps you get a raise.  Again, it takes two seconds.  "Madison, could you come help with service?  Thank you."   

To me, this is a management failure on Jenna's part.  Madison indicated that feedback matters to her, so Jenna should have provided it, even if it's between charters when things aren't so hectic.

• Love 14

If I were the guest I would have made a stink about this. If I were the principal I would have protected my friend. My innocent friend. I would have cut the cruise short and demanded they take us back immediately. I would not given them a tip. They wanted drama. I would have given them drama. 

What about the dinner when that particular guest was seen going into the bathroom and production was sure to let us hear the sounds of him snorting and sniffing? His behavior seemed altered.  I think he definitely used, but it was either gone or he got rid of it prior to the search.

Fun Jenna story. I put some negative comments about her appearance & desperate way of acting around Adam on an Instagram below deck page. Probably not nice, but that's reality TV for ya.  The next day Jenna herself showed up in my IG INBOX, commenting  on me and my daughters.... as soon as I saw my daughters in the content of the message I deleted the message and blocked her.  She is clearly not well or playing with a full deck.  Reality TV "stars" need a thick skin, and definitely should not be sliding into viewers DM's to verbally accost them.  I do not want to see her back on my screen again. 

1 minute ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Is Jenna’s real name Karen?

No, Karen is in NYC and is currently jobless and maybe dogless!  Maybe they are related.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Someday in the not so far future, in some rocky crag in the Midwest US, the bones of Jenna will be discovered... I do NOT think that little trip of hers and Adam's will end well. 

I don't know, my money's on Jenna...those teeth could tear into flesh and cause some major damage.

• LOL 7
4 hours ago, CaliforniaLove said:

Of course no drugs were found, Billy snorted them all the night before. Anybody who doesn't think he was coked out, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell ya'! 

Billy just didn't look like he was wired to me, and he was eating dinner.  

• Love 9
(edited)

He wasn’t coked up. If he was he would be jumping around. He looked tired and lethargic and drunk. Because he was in vacation and he had a few drinks while he was waiting for hours for the bitch of a principal to get ready and come down to eat.

Just because he had the residue of some sun block under his nose that annoyed Inspector Rachet he had Captain Clueless rooting around in his underwear. 

This principal was one of the worst we ever saw in Below Deck. She was rude and entitled by making everyone wait for hours to eat and she didn’t stand up for her guests. At the very least he was due an apology if not a full refund.

Just imagine what would have happened if they pulled this crap on Johnny Damon’s wife. She would have ripped Captain Clueless a new asshole.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Mr. Miner said:

Same. His behavior could be a lot of things including the fact that he spent all day drinking in the sun and didn’t get to dinner until 10 pm.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, lcarolynl said:

Paget hasn’t lived that much. He still sees himself as a chubby, unattractive guy and he’s not. He’s attractive and will attract female attention

Ehhh I don't know about that!

1 hour ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

He wasn’t coked up. If he was he would be jumping around. He looked tired and lethargic and drunk. Because he was in vacation and he had a few drinks while he was waiting for hours for the bitch of a principal to get ready and come down to eat.

He was snorting something every time he went to the bathroom.  And he looked f-ed up on something.

1 hour ago, Mr. Miner said:

I may have some experience with being high and still eating dinner...

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

He was snorting something every time he went to the bathroom.  And he looked f-ed up on something.

How do you know he was snorting something? I didn’t see that on camera. I might have heard sound effects that they put in later. If he was doing it and it is such a big deal why didn’t they intervene then and there?

He was lethargic and subdued. That’s not how it works when you toot up. This was all deceptive editing and sound effects added afterwards to sell a false narrative.

The fact is they didn’t find any drugs or drug residue or paraphernalia. Otherwise they would have tossed him. This guy was not a master criminal.

This was all a big bunch of Bravo Bullshit.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Crazydoxielady said:

What about the dinner when that particular guest was seen going into the bathroom and production was sure to let us hear the sounds of him snorting and sniffing? His behavior seemed altered.  I think he definitely used, but it was either gone or he got rid of it prior to the search.

Fun Jenna story. I put some negative comments about her appearance & desperate way of acting around Adam on an Instagram below deck page. Probably not nice, but that's reality TV for ya.  The next day Jenna herself showed up in my IG INBOX, commenting  on me and my daughters.... as soon as I saw my daughters in the content of the message I deleted the message and blocked her.  She is clearly not well or playing with a full deck.  Reality TV "stars" need a thick skin, and definitely should not be sliding into viewers DM's to verbally accost them.  I do not want to see her back on my screen again. 

Just to play devil’s advocate, the sniffing sounds could have been edited in.  He could have sniffed once and they could have used that over and over again.  We really don’t know. 

Personally I think he was up to something, but we may never know for sure. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Ehhh I don't know about that!

😂 Hey, I was careful not to say he is good looking! Hes not attractive enough to the general population to say that 😂

But I do think he’s attractive, he’s blonde, which appeals to my Scandinavian roots and he has a friendly, genial demeanor. And he did attract Georgia’s attention so I think the moderate praise is warranted.

i think Bravo will need to really retool this franchise to draw me back in. They need stronger senior staff to support the show.

Glen’s not “Made for TV!” the way Cpt Lee is. Adam’s a big Yuk and creepy with a psycho vibe. Byron was not a pleasant nor compelling person to watch and WTF is his job? Landlubbers still have no clue!

Jenna is unlikable, a poor supervisor, and we didn’t see her pull out any tricks to make the trips unforgettable, beyond getting the guests drunk. I can’t think of an honest professional compliment I can give her. She has a nice body with long legs but what guest or viewer cares?
Donuts to dollars Bravo brings her back, just as they keep banking on Hannah on BDMed.

Aside from some noise from and about Parker, the deck crew was a bit of a snooze. 
Ciera’s was the most compelling character from the deck crew and possibly the whole boat.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, lcarolynl said:

Hey, I was careful not to say he is good looking!

HAHAHA!  

2 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

How do you know he was snorting something? I didn’t see that on camera. I might have heard sound effects that they put in later. If he was doing it and it is such a big deal why didn’t they intervene then and there?

He was lethargic and subdued. That’s not how it works when you toot up. This was all deceptive editing and sound effects added afterwards to sell a false narrative.

The fact is they didn’t find any drugs or drug residue or paraphernalia. Otherwise they would have tossed him. This guy was not a master criminal.

This was all a big bunch of Bravo Bullshit.

True, the sounds of snorting could have been added by editing.  I didn't think they were allowed to do that, but I guess who knows with "reality" tv.

I do think he was snorting up something.  I know that coke usually makes people feel up, but for some people I may or may not know (ahem), it chills you out.  I suppose another powder he could be snorting is crushed up oxy, and that would definitely make someone lethargic and subdued.  And that would make his eyes roll back too.  And that could have been in a prescription bottle, and not illegal to bring on the boat.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, lcarolynl said:

Byron was not a pleasant nor compelling person to watch and WTF is his job? Landlubbers still have no clue!

First engineer he is responsible for maintaining the mechanical and electrical systems of the yacht. The other franchises have them they just are only shown if there is an issue. I think they included it as an on camera position because the crew of this is smaller than the other two franchises who don’t show the first officer and first engineer except for introducing them at the beginning.

3 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

didn't think they were allowed to do that, but I guess who knows with "reality" tv.

They do it all the time to the point that they have a name “frankenedits”.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/26/2020 at 6:56 AM, politichick said:

I think she wanted to say something to her personally before Cierra saw it on television, just as a courtesy. And Cierra handled it very well, I think.

Jenna blows and I hope she and Adam get really blasted during the reunion. Especially Jenna, who is a fucking liar to boot.

I get that to a point but the two of them were flirting throughout the entire season even in front of Ciera, like the song, I think Ciera was DONE with it!  Ciera handled it very well, she is pretty confident in her relationship obviously and so she should be.

• Love 4

Also, Georgia, Paget and Ciara all finished out the actual yachting season working on the same boat so there would have been plenty of time to tell her before it aired a year later.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Crazydoxielady said:

The next day Jenna herself showed up in my IG INBOX, commenting  on me and my daughters.... as soon as I saw my daughters in the content of the message I deleted the message and blocked her.  She is clearly not well or playing with a full deck.  Reality TV "stars" need a thick skin, and definitely should not be sliding into viewers DM's to verbally accost them.  I do not want to see her back on my screen again. 

Wow, yikes.  I assume your moniker here is about cute little dachshunds, but in this content it is too similar to Jenna's almost doxxing you by mentioning your daughters!  ugh.

• Love 3
(edited)

If he was sniffing anything he could have been snorting heroin (some people do inhale it up the nose) or some other drug. There’s more than one illicit white powder in the world.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 4
(edited)

Finally watched the last 15 minutes of this episode.  If I were Ciara, I would not be so sure about Paget.  He made a comment to Georgia to the effect of if he had known that a woman like Georgia would be interested in him several years ago /when he was younger, he'd want to be with her.   He basically said he wanted to act on his feelings but he "couldn't".

IIRC, he used to be heavier I think? 

My theory is that Ciara is possibly his first serious girlfriend, and he latched onto her because he was insecure. She has been his security blanket all these years.  Now a hot woman is interested in him and its very clear that he wasn't willing to put up clear boundaries with her. I would call his boundaries that we saw on the show (not sure what else happened off screen) fuzzy at best. 

I think it can be very risky to be in a role like Ciara- where you're the first serious partner of someone who is insecure.  The partner often develops a lot of security from the relationship and then they can be vulnerable just like we watched Paget being on this show.

Of course that doesn't always happen, but I think its a common scenario.

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 10