Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: S.T.R.I.P.E

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

After Courtney has an unexpected run-in with a member of the Injustice Society of America, Pat reveals the truth to her about their history. Meanwhile, Barbara is elated when she sees Courtney making an attempt to get along with Pat, not knowing the secret they've been keeping. Finally, things take a dangerous turn at Blue Valley High's open house night when Courtney becomes the target of a dangerous foe.

Note: Apparently the original intent was for Episodes 1 and 2 to be a single 2-hour pilot episode, until the deal was made with the CW and they recut it.

• Useful 1

So how does that staff work? It seems to be able to move on its own, but when Courtney was trapped it couldn't move the few centimetres that it was away from her hand?

• Love 5

2nd episode was good though very clear that this would've been even better as a 2hr premiere.

The fight scenes were good and fun to watch. STRIPES looks AHMAHZING, I know they are using a mixture of CGI/Real built robot but very impressed with what they've done with it. I was surprised that it wasnt built with blocking Brainwaves telepathy in mind. 

Was surprised that they outed Courtneys identity so quickly to Brainwave but they did take him out fairly quickly. Im going to assume that he'll have some sort of memory loss whenever he wakes up. Did notice that Brainwave has been arrested before....so that entire team is just...I need to know how they are operating out in the open when half of their identities arent really concealed. Brainwave mindwipe everyon?

Overall, very good for such an early episode of a non-comedic superhero series.

Very big props to them for allowing characters to still have visible wounds that last beyond the episode in which they occur. Not only is it more realistic, but it serves as good narrative reminder that there's probably a lot of other stuff that still hurts from the last fight.

Pat is really good at some aspects of this stuff. Such as building giant robots. But his tactical planning? Not so much. Let me see if I understand this one correctly: "If I die of a stroke tonight, you need to tell your mom to just leave her husband's body here, quit her job, abandon the house, and run away with everyone to a new town and get new identities... because her fifteen year old daughter said to." What the hell?

• Love 1

I'm thinking that American Dreams is a big part of this 'New America' plan that Brainwave mentioned.   And it seems really weird that so many people in town work for American Dreams.  And even weirder that American Dreams seems to be funded by Blue Valley Tires.

At least now we know that the robot is not Pat's car, but is in fact made out of car parts.

Uh oh, the Icicle is back in town.  What's the name of the creature that the Injustice Society has locked up in their lair ?

At least we know that they have the Nintendo switch on this Earth (Mike was playing it at the breakfast table).

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Uh oh, the Icicle is back in town.  What's the name of the creature that the Injustice Society has locked up in their lair ?

Solomon Grundy. Born on Monday... sorry I couldn't resist. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm thinking that American Dreams is a big part of this 'New America' plan that Brainwave mentioned.   And it seems really weird that so many people in town work for American Dreams.  And even weirder that American Dreams seems to be funded by Blue Valley Tires.

I feel like anytime someone unironically names a business "American Dream(s)" there's a red flag. Just look at the cursed NJ mall...damn thing opens and then immediately closes due to a global pandemic, and if you told me a secret society of super villains built it as a cover for their lair, that'd be about right. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, questionfear said:

I feel like anytime someone unironically names a business "American Dream(s)" there's a red flag. Just look at the cursed NJ mall...damn thing opens and then immediately closes due to a global pandemic, and if you told me a secret society of super villains built it as a cover for their lair, that'd be about right. 

There is a reason why they are called "The Injustice Society of America". I have to say I loved the ending when Icicle froze up the monitor and how the Gambler watched him do it. You know the Villains are returning. Interesting we are getting more use of Cindy's mother in the series. She was barely touched on in the comics. 

• Love 1

I think in every episode post someone who is lucky enough to have DC universe should tell us what we missed,Again I feel like with how hard they are pushing Starman is Courtney's father that her father is a super villain,I keep trying to figure out which characters are which villains I mean Sportmaster and Tigress are obvious and I was thinking the guy with Icicle was the Wizard just because he had a sort magician sort of look but now know is the Gambler so thank you Readster,But the others are a little harder like I think the principal and senator might villains because how long they were focusing on them and just the though that Courtney's mom might be in middle of a chat with bad guys and Pat saved her without ether of them knowing it.

• Love 1
On 5/25/2020 at 11:08 AM, CletusMusashi said:

Pat is really good at some aspects of this stuff. Such as building giant robots. But his tactical planning? Not so much. Let me see if I understand this one correctly: "If I die of a stroke tonight, you need to tell your mom to just leave her husband's body here, quit her job, abandon the house, and run away with everyone to a new town and get new identities... because her fifteen year old daughter said to." What the hell?

I am so enamored with Pat's wholesome, selfless, Dad goodness that I didn't even notice the flaws in his plan, LOL, but you are totally correct, @CletusMusashi.

++++++++

12 hours ago, readster said:
21 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

What's the name of the creature that the Injustice Society has locked up in their lair ?

Solomon Grundy. Born on Monday... sorry I couldn't resist. 

*shapeshifter looks up Solomon Grundy*
Okay, so no relation to Miss Grundy: 
Miss_Grundy.png

• LOL 5
(edited)

I felt sorry for Pat tonight. He couldn't truly convince Courtney he could protect her. He tried to practice/perfect his machine but wasn't successful (while Courtney has beaten him in the race to master her staff/skills/make a costume). With all that practice Pat did earlier and build up to getting in the suit (like he was going to kick ass), still he was no match for Brainwave. Poor guy had to hear 15 year old Courtney  telling him to stop sitting on the sidelines and her making sure he knew his role is the "sidekick". When the moment of truth came at the end for him to save Courtney, she didn't need him and managed to save herself (and him) using the staff. At least he got one small victory and ate a cookie while Crusher wasn't looking! It seems his only job is to make the pancakes are hot and ready in the morning. If he can't do that he is useless.

Pat said a few times to Courtney: Starman is not her father. Then later he has doubts.

Last week, the staff was flying around nagging/waking up Courtney to go places. This week (as Brainwave approaches and she needed it), the staff couldn't bother move over a few inches to get in her hand.

Was the mother upset or jealous there were more parents working at Blue Valley Tires? 

It seemed Brainwave could have easily found out where the staff was located instead of having Courtney come back with it at midnight on a school night.

Henry had balls asking for a ride to school after his father is obviously pissed about his damaged car. 

When the principal finds a few minutes to pause fawning over her son, I can see her holding a major assembly in the gym to find out who created the mess in the parking lot last night. First up to be blamed will be the football team.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

So I am guessing that all the evil villian's kids will become Stargirls' nemeses in future episodes.

IDK. He's pretty hunky/attractive, and he resents his dad to a normal, teenage degree. I'd like to see the father-son dynamic that develops if now-Braindead dad's son becomes Stargirl's bf. 

Makes sense that they originally planned for a two hour pilot, because this episode really felt like a straight-up continuation of last weeks, and officially setting Courtney up as Stargirl.  I don't mind though, because I much rather we get two episodes to tell the story they wanted to, instead of trying to cram everything into one hour.

Continuing to enjoy the show and especially both Brec Bassinger and Luke Wilson, and how they are handling the relationship between Courtney and Pat.  They still aren't an "instant family" as there is conflict and awkwardness between them, and I'm really intrigued over Pat having to accept that he has to be the back-up a.k.a. sidekick to a hero who isn't just fifteen years old, but is his actual stepdaughter, who he obviously wants to protect.  But you can already see that these two are growing to care for one another, and a trust is being formed.  Of course, this being, well, a television show, I'm already worrying that something will cause friction down the line (best guess?  Pat actually does know who Courtney's actual father is), but I'm really enjoying it right now.

As soon as Brainwave figured out Courtney was Stargirl, I figured something was going to take him off the board.  With him in a coma, it looks like the rest of the Injustice gang has now taken notice.  Plus, I have a feeling they're setting up his son to be a major player going forward.

They still seem to be throwing a lot of student characters in here, and no one is really having an opportunity to shine.  Besides Courtney's lunch-mates, Brainwave's son, and the mean girl (who apparently is a jerk to her mom), we also have the principal's son, who seems to be getting set up to expand upon.  I hope they have the time to flesh them all out.  The only one that is leaving any kind of mark is Beth, who comes off like a nice enough of a person, but really, really might need to expand her social status outside of her parents (even though I certainly don't want to hate on someone for having a good relationship with them, for once!)

Hope Barbara factors more in soon, but Amy Smart is still winning in the role.

Looking forward to the rest of the season! 

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, looks like we have another fun series based on DC Comics, even if it looks like every other adult and every third kid at Blue Valley High will be a hero or villain by the season finale.

I liked STRIPE getting tested. Even when Pat had STRIPE "look" at the rocket fist and I knew what was coming, it was still hilarious.

What a fun coincidence that the Injustice Society has a base in Blue Valley. You betcha. I can buy Brainwave setting down roots, starting a family and raising an asshole son. Apparently, Icicle is nearby as well, as is Solomon Grundy. I didn't know the other guy at the end was Gambler; he could have come in from another town.

More geek references . . . and the Cosmic Staff was created by Ted Knight. I'm preparing for the "Wait, the [Caddyshack][Mary Tyler Moore Show][Too Close For Comfort][narrator of the old Super Friends episodes] guy?!?" reactions. No. Different Ted Knight.  Once again: the Cosmic Staff having some sort of intelligence is new for this canon.

What is the English Bulldog's name? I tried searching, but Bec was in a show called Bella And The Bulldogs, so that threw things off.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, readster said:

Interesting we are getting more use of Cindy's mother in the series. She was barely touched on in the comics. 

One of the truisms of comic to television adaptations that I first heard remarked on back in the Smallville days (particularly as it reached the later seasons) is that the average 20 page comic book can be read in 15-20 minutes so your typical 22 episode season of 42 minute episodes is about equal to FOUR YEARS of content from a monthly comic.

In other words, for an ongoing series you either needs a monster amount of source material (ex. Superman, Batman, Green Arrow, Flash) or you have to add a lot of original material to fill in that extra time (i.e. giving a supporting character who might have only shown up in a couple panels of a comic their own subplot).

As such, I expect we’ll get a lot more rounding out of what were otherwise blink and you’d miss them characters in the comics.

1 hour ago, Chris24601 said:

One of the truisms of comic to television adaptations that I first heard remarked on back in the Smallville days (particularly as it reached the later seasons) is that the average 20 page comic book can be read in 15-20 minutes so your typical 22 episode season of 42 minute episodes is about equal to FOUR YEARS of content from a monthly comic.

In other words, for an ongoing series you either needs a monster amount of source material (ex. Superman, Batman, Green Arrow, Flash) or you have to add a lot of original material to fill in that extra time (i.e. giving a supporting character who might have only shown up in a couple panels of a comic their own subplot).

As such, I expect we’ll get a lot more rounding out of what were otherwise blink and you’d miss them characters in the comics.

Also since Geoff Johns who created the characters or brought many of them back in modern comics is both the show runner and writers. It allows him to expand on things he really never got to. Stars and STRIPE was only 15 issues if you count issue #0. The show already has a different set up than the comic and he expanded on the school cast a bit more. I have to say the principal here and her son being embarrassed by her was great. Plus, Mike is a little younger here so they can play with his character a lot more than they did in the main comics.

Great intro for Icicle, if I was a bad guy I would totally want to stride down to my secret lair with a giant painting of myself and my villain posse in the main room while a Killers song blasts! So every time we meet any adult, its like "ok so which supervillain are you?" because it looks like the Injustice Society is still here, or are coming back, and have some kind of Evil Plan they have been cooking up, while they also raise some kids, possibly to follow in their parents footsteps. 

The American Dream thing is so very obviously an Evil Plan, they might as well call it "Totally Not A Diabolical Scheme For World Domination No Sir" which makes sense, considering it was created by people who named their evil organization The Injustice League. Really, we should applaud their attempts at subtlety. I was surprised that Brainwave figured out who Courtney was so quickly, so I guess him ending up in a coma was the best way to keep her identity secret for awhile. 

Poor Pat, always the bridesmaid, no matter how many mechas he builds. He is in such a tight spot, he wants to keep Courtney out of danger (and its clear that the bad guys have no compunctions about using their powers to hurt her, no matter how young she is) but knows that the Staff has chosen her, and she is pretty much set on being a superhero, so now the best way to try and protect her is to be her sidekick. I really like they're relationship and what is building between them, its slow going and Courtney still hasn't totally warmed to Pat, but they are bonding more and she showed some real sympathy towards him and his struggles. 

The more times they say that Courtney is Starmans daughter, the more I think its not the case. They might be doing a sort of second gen thing with the kids of various superheroes and villains, but I suspect that Courtney will find out that her bio dad was either a villain or just some dead beat dad, not a superhero. 

They are throwing a lot of possible supporting characters at us very quickly, I hope that we can spend some time on them and learn more about what their deals are sooner rather than later. 

• Love 2
On 5/25/2020 at 2:31 AM, paulvdb said:

So how does that staff work? It seems to be able to move on its own, but when Courtney was trapped it couldn't move the few centimetres that it was away from her hand?

I think what was going on there was that Brainwave was telekinetically holding it in place.

Courtney saying the P.E. in S.T.R.I.P.E standing for "Pat Enhancer" was pretty funny.  Can't remember the rest of it.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I think what was going on there was that Brainwave was telekinetically holding it in place.

Courtney saying the P.E. in S.T.R.I.P.E standing for "Pat Enhancer" was pretty funny.  Can't remember the rest of it.

so he was holding the staff in place but not her hands that were reaching for it?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Subatomic Tactical Robot Internet Pat Enhancer

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

so he was holding the staff in place but not her hands that were reaching for it?

She was held down by the car bumper and she couldn't reach the staff as far as he could tell, so no need to hold down her hands.  It's not ideal, but I don't see an inconsistency with the staff in that scene.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, Primal Slayer said:

2nd episode was good though very clear that this would've been even better as a 2hr premiere.

The fight scenes were good and fun to watch. STRIPES looks AHMAHZING, I know they are using a mixture of CGI/Real built robot but very impressed with what they've done with it. I was surprised that it wasnt built with blocking Brainwaves telepathy in mind. 

Was surprised that they outed Courtneys identity so quickly to Brainwave but they did take him out fairly quickly. Im going to assume that he'll have some sort of memory loss whenever he wakes up. Did notice that Brainwave has been arrested before....so that entire team is just...I need to know how they are operating out in the open when half of their identities arent really concealed. Brainwave mindwipe everyon?

I'm thinking it;s possible they won't, if he wakes up at the end of the season. I mean I know Icicle is supposed to be the Big Bad, but... a guy with ice powers as the endgame seems... weak. So maybe she has to deal with an even more pissed Brainwave.

As for the robot blocking Brainwaves' power?  Why are we assuming Pat is all that smart? I mean the robot is impressive, but it's still being posed as something using normal existing technology, although that's a weird moving target in a world where smartphones seem to have come a decade after cars that are jalopies.  

Edited by Kromm
(edited)
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

More geek references . . . and the Cosmic Staff was created by Ted Knight. I'm preparing for the "Wait, the [Caddyshack][Mary Tyler Moore Show][Too Close For Comfort][narrator of the old Super Friends episodes] guy?!?" reactions. No. Different Ted Knight.  Once again: the Cosmic Staff having some sort of intelligence is new for this canon.

As you probably know, Ted Knight = Starman.  Sylvester Pemberton (also an actual DC character) being Starman is of course, new for this show.  As the show acknowledges, he was The Star-Spangled Kid.  Apparently they're building considerably on that mythos.  In the comics, when The Star-Spangled Kid identity became too silly seeming, they made the bad decision to change him into the even sillier "Skyman". Yes, that's a real thing,    

What is the English Bulldog's name? I tried searching, but Bec was in a show called Bella And The Bulldogs, so that threw things off.

Damn, I knew I recognized her from somewhere, I saw like 1 1/2 episodes of that.  It was eye rolling, but she was the best part of it.  It also helps explain her presence on this show.  The character was very similar, minus being a Superhero in an alternate world with a weird timeline.  

Edited by Kromm
15 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Damn, I knew I recognized her from somewhere, I saw like 1 1/2 episodes of that.  It was eye rolling, but she was the best part of it.  It also helps explain her presence on this show.  The character was very similar, minus being a Superhero in an alternate world with a weird timeline.  

Patton. Named after the General, originally in the comics, Mike was in military school until he got himself kicked out, but Pat named him Patton as he was actually in World War II, until he got time lost in the comics. Also, Sly's costume on Stargirl as "Starman" is the same one he ware as Skyman in the comics. 

1 hour ago, Kromm said:

As for the robot blocking Brainwaves' power?  Why are we assuming Pat is all that smart? 

Pat is apparently smarter than he appears to be.  By the way, I loved the use of Johnny Cash's One Piece at a Time during the sequence when he was testing out the robot.

I wonder if the Home Ec class winds up getting all new sewing machines that the students appreciate because the thread doesn't break due to tension adjustment issues.

Actually, the last sewing machine I had was probably manufactured in the 1960s or 70s, so maybe they don't have tension issues anymore (like cars don't have sticky carburetor flaps anymore), but with all the real life mask making, I do wonder if there will be some viewer chatter about the sewing machines.

When Stargirl couldn't reach the staff a few inches away, it seemed like it was because Brainwave was blocking them. 

This is a show that gets a lot of details right:  Courtney can't magically sew, and the robot has some kinks.  S.T.R.I.P.E.S. also looks like a powered armor/robot built by someone who knew it was possible, and may have encountered robot suit technology (he knows Ted Knight, who was able to build the cosmic staff, among [spoiler spoiler spoiler.]), but also made mistakes and had a finite budget.

The sound cue for "One Piece at a Time" was brilliant.  The sound effect of a car remote has been done before (on Dr. Who, among other places), but it was still funny.

And as noted, the continuity is excellent.  I hope the school sign being broken, other people's cars being tossed around, etc., show up next week.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

I hope the school sign being broken, other people's cars being tossed around, etc., show up next week.

I loved the teenage "Ruh roh" look on Courtney's face when the school sign got destroyed.

• Love 1
(edited)

Glad to see that when Pat said "some guy named Ted Knight" created the Cosmic Staff, I wasn't the only one thinking of this Ted Knight:

image.png.6e0c63e239a08990de76d3ad77d3b1a0.png

On 5/28/2020 at 5:36 AM, marketdoctor said:

This is a show that gets a lot of details right:  Courtney can't magically sew,

I got the impression her difficulty with sewing was more due to some inherent durability of the Starman costume, but maybe your reading of the scene was more accurate than mine.

Edited by Cthulhudrew
1 hour ago, Cthulhudrew said:

I got the impression her difficulty with sewing was more due to some inherent durability of the Starman costume, but maybe your reading of the scene was more accurate than mine.

The scissors scene showed how strong the fabric was, and why the sewing machines broke.

• Love 1

When Stargirl couldn't reach the staff I suspected that the staff was playing possum so that Brainwave would drop his guard. It sure looked like the staff made sure that Brainwave wasn't getting back up, while Stargirl was just along for the ride.

I think the staff is playing a long game.

• Love 1

I hope no one created a drinking game based on the number of times Courtney said Pat’s name in this episode. The basement scene alone would be enough to cause alcohol poisoning. 

• LOL 1