Type keyword(s) to search

MAFS Couples Cam

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

I'm an intelligent, educated person and I'm shocked and ashamed at how invested I've become in some of these people. 

Nothing to be ashamed of.  I'm intelligent and educated and don't think I should watch PBS and documentaries and read all the time.  

What I like about this show is seeing how these couples are moving through life, especially during the pandemic. 

• Love 12

Poor Shawniece. She's so frustrated, but mostly she's frustrated at herself, and she just wants someone else to fix it for her.  I really liked that she and Jephte were willing to put all of that on camera, because that is real stuff. And they did figure it out. Young moms do get overwhelmed. And being in the house together all the time, I'm sure she's feeling frustration. I really loved it when Jephte said he'd help her but she'd tell him he was doing it wrong.  OH MY, how many times have I seen that play out, where someone asks for help, gets it, but no, wait a minute, you're not doing it good enough. Hahah haha ha!  Jephte was sooo patient with her through all of that. It was great.  In the end, he agreed to do ALL of the laundry, so I wonder if we'll get to see how long that lasts for them, and she admitted how hard marriage is but that she loves him.  It was really sweet. I might have had something in my eye at that moment. 

I do enjoy the others, but not as much as those two.  

And of course Jamie Otis has post-partum depression. Of course she does.  I'm sorry, she may really have it, but it beggars all belief that they would have to face yet another drama about this pregnancy.  Sigh. 

• Love 9
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 10:38 AM, brilliantbreakfast said:

I keep looking at Danielle's hairline; something I do because I have some androgenic alopecia and I notice hair loss in women:  It seems to me that her hairline is WAY up on her head and the sides look thin.  Does anyone know if she has hair loss problems?

She does have an extremely high forehead and a different hair style with some soft bangs could look better. Her hairline is WAY WAY WAY up!

However, at 1.5 years old her daughter is almost still bald.

I'm not being mean here, but she is same age as the other MAFS kids (Mila/Laura) and they both have a good head of hair. Mila's curls!

• Love 1
On 8/7/2020 at 1:23 PM, Neurochick said:

Nothing to be ashamed of.  I'm intelligent and educated and don't think I should watch PBS and documentaries and read all the time.  

What I like about this show is seeing how these couples are moving through life, especially during the pandemic. 

I agree.  I'm so stressed right now that I need something mindless to watch every now and then.

I like seeing them navigate the pandemic too, although there is a lot of fake producer created fluff.

On 8/7/2020 at 2:10 PM, cardigirl said:

Poor Shawniece. She's so frustrated, but mostly she's frustrated at herself, and she just wants someone else to fix it for her.  I really liked that she and Jephte were willing to put all of that on camera, because that is real stuff. And they did figure it out. Young moms do get overwhelmed. And being in the house together all the time, I'm sure she's feeling frustration. I really loved it when Jephte said he'd help her but she'd tell him he was doing it wrong.  OH MY, how many times have I seen that play out, where someone asks for help, gets it, but no, wait a minute, you're not doing it good enough. Hahah haha ha!  Jephte was sooo patient with her through all of that. It was great.  In the end, he agreed to do ALL of the laundry, so I wonder if we'll get to see how long that lasts for them, and she admitted how hard marriage is but that she loves him.  It was really sweet. I might have had something in my eye at that moment. 

I felt for Shawniece when she said she watched her single mom mother struggle.  She is sensitive already to feeling like everything's on her.  She is over-responsible/type A while Jephte is way more laid back (Island background influence perhaps).  I admit I lost track of what Jephte is doing right now.  I know he is a teacher but I would imagine that even if not for the pandemic he'd be off for the summer.  So I get her frustration with him even more.

• Love 5
On 8/8/2020 at 11:15 AM, OnTime said:

She does have an extremely high forehead and a different hair style with some soft bangs could look better. Her hairline is WAY WAY WAY up!

I agree.  I feel sorry for her in that regard and wonder whether pregnancy has anything to do with the hair loss.

A lot has been said about the difference in Bobby's appearance, but Danielle's appearance has also changed, and in my opinion not for the better.  They rolled a clip of them from 2 years ago and it really jarred me how much better she looked back then.  I get it that they're at home a lot and parents to a very young daughter, but the other new moms on the show manage to make themselves look much better.

Danielle always had a really high forehead but it seems even higher now.

Her daughter is the same age as Ashley's daughter and Shawniece's daughter. However, Ashley works at her family's restaurant and Shawniece works with her hair/wig company so they have another interests/accomplishments and look good.

I don't think Danielle has another interests than being a pregnant mom.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, OnTime said:

Danielle always had a really high forehead but it seems even higher now.

Her daughter is the same age as Ashley's daughter and Shawniece's daughter. However, Ashley works at her family's restaurant and Shawniece works with her hair/wig company so they have another interests/accomplishments and look good.

I don't think Danielle has another interests than being a pregnant mom.

And spending Bobby’s money. She will never not bug me. She needs bangs for that forehead. 

It’s so interesting how we can watch the same thing and have different takeaways.  Some of you thought Jepthe was being really patient, but I thought he came across as disinterested.  I also thought waking her up was passive aggressive.  It’s fine to come up with a schedule and decide together how to manage mornings and evenings, but you don’t just put your wishes on the other person.  

Agree that the ghost thing was dumb.  I am interested in their house hunting journey so hopefully they do updates without any more ghost talk.

• Love 4

And spending Bobby’s money.

Danielle & Bobby are married so it's their money, whether she's working or not, because both contribute to the household in various ways. Also, they probably wouldn't even have the new house & ability for her to be a SAHM if it weren't for the show, which includes both of them. Her registry & acceptance of gifts from fans is tacky though. I don't follow their SM but if she's got an attitude that's off putting as well, but that is reflective of her herself, personally.

I feel badly for Shawniece because anyone who cheats on their pregnant wife is an asshole, period, & those guys typically don't change, so I don't trust him. Him being so flippant about her struggling was so very selfish of him. They're only sticking it out for their daughter but Shawniece is miserable. I can't see them lasting the long haul, unless, maybe, he makes some real changes & sticks to them.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I feel badly for Shawniece because anyone who cheats on their pregnant wife is an asshole, period, & those guys typically don't change, so I don't trust him. Him being so flippant about her struggling was so very selfish of him. They're only sticking it out for their daughter but Shawniece is miserable. I can't see them lasting the long haul, unless, maybe, he makes some real changes & sticks to them.

I have to say I couldn't see myself married to someone like Jephte.  It would drive me insane.  I'm sure he would protest that he wasn't being flippant and he cares, etc., but I admit I am not fully convinced of that.  Mr. Yeah No thinks Jephte doesn't get how he is probably influenced by an old fashioned male-chauvinist culture.  He thinks Jephte has unconscious resistance to fully participating in taking care of the baby and the house or at least helping Shawniece feel like it's not all on her.  And this is coming from my 64 year old husband!  I agree, and I was very proud of him for seeing that!

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I have to say I couldn't see myself married to someone like Jephte.  It would drive me insane.  I'm sure he would protest that he wasn't being flippant and he cares, etc., but I admit I am not fully convinced of that.  Mr. Yeah No thinks Jephte doesn't get how he is probably influenced by an old fashioned male-chauvinist culture.  He thinks Jephte has unconscious resistance to fully participating in taking care of the baby and the house or at least helping Shawniece feel like it's not all on her.  And this is coming from my 64 year old husband!  I agree, and I was very proud of him for seeing that!

I don't think Jephte had a father in his life, so I wonder if that's his influence just having seen his mom be a single mom & do everything, so even though he's present he's still putting the bulk of the burden on Shawniece. Similar situation in that I know someone who's husband's parents were married but his father was never around - always working out-of-state, etc. When they married he was not a traveler & worked locally, however, he was never home anyway, & in that has kind of re-created his upbringing at the expense of his own kids now.

Boy this is getting deep LOL.

I just see Shawniece as miserable & staying miserable for a kid is a bad thing for her & the kid in the long run. However, she's very smart to have her family right above her & be working on opening her own business, because if Jephte continues to be a bitch she'll be able to kick him to the curb easily enough. I don't say that flippantly - a lot of women are stuck in marriage situations they can't get out of, but that shouldn't be the case for her, hopefully.

• Love 4

Poor Danielle and Bobby. I don't know what they did to warrant such disgust. LOL. Possibly being blonde. I like them still and enjoy their segments.   

I like watching this show, I think in some ways it's more real than the MAFS show, although some of the bits (hello, haunted real estate shopping) are obvious set ups, but I'm entertained. The only couple that I sometimes fast foward through is Jamie and Doug because I think she manufactures a lot of their content, but her kids are cute and she's making that marriage work for her. 

I did see Jephte trying to work with Shawniece but maybe I got it all wrong. He seemed like he was trying to be reasonable and thoughtful and come up with some solutions while she was completely hysterical and out of control. What's the big deal with a time management suggestion? Oh I know, it means that maybe the problem isn't that other people aren't pulling their weight, it means that maybe you're not doing all that you can. No wonder she FREAKED OUT on him.  HOW DARE HE.  LOL.  Believe me, I've been there. Dividing up housework and childcare with your partner is one of the biggest causes of friction there is in marriages, and that's why I liked seeing the two of them going through their own way of working it out.  

There has to be room in a marriage for growth, forgiveness, and change.  In the end, Shawniece decided getting up early wasn't going to work for her and Jephte agreed to do the laundry (all of it I hope) and we'll see if the helps. But the argument, the discussion, was REAL, and the sitting down and trying to figure it out, without stomping out the door, or throwing things or leaving and saying the marriage was over, is what makes a relationship work.  Good on them for filming and sharing it. Maybe they'll make it long term, maybe they won't, but I saw some real skills being displayed for navigating the pitfalls that await all relationships, not just the MAFS ones.  

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 7

Shawniece is a very emotional person, &, I don't know for sure but sometimes when someone feels like they're not being heard they'll either shut down or get very upset. But then the problem is the more emotional someone gets, the more the recipient tunes out, because all they're hearing is the emotion at that point, & not the message coming through.

I think she wanted more than laundry from him, & he's deciding what he feels like doing, not necessarily what she needs him to do. However, I'll be fair to Jephte in this - he said he'll do something then she'll come up behind him & do it over, so she'll have to learn to let go if she really wants him to be involved & helpful. However again, it was a very douche move to wake her up early when not only had she not agreed to that, but the only time she has to herself to pursue her projects is late at night. She should have her time at night to be creative, as well as restorative sleep in the morning, then they can do the day together with their daughter. That's not too much to ask of him.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Shawniece is a very emotional person, &, I don't know for sure but sometimes when someone feels like they're not being heard they'll either shut down or get very upset. But then the problem is the more emotional someone gets, the more the recipient tunes out, because all they're hearing is the emotion at that point, & not the message coming through.

I think she wanted more than laundry from him, & he's deciding what he feels like doing, not necessarily what she needs him to do. However, I'll be fair to Jephte in this - he said he'll do something then she'll come up behind him & do it over, so she'll have to learn to let go if she really wants him to be involved & helpful. However again, it was a very douche move to wake her up early when not only had she not agreed to that, but the only time she has to herself to pursue her projects is late at night. She should have her time at night to be creative, as well as restorative sleep in the morning, then they can do the day together with their daughter. That's not too much to ask of him.

And my point is, it's going to take a lot of back and forth to work out their individual responsibilitie within the partnership. Agreed, doing the laundry is only one thing out of so many, but it was the way they worked together to get there.  It's a learning process for both of them. Are they going to solve for everything from one argument/discussion?  No, they are not. 

Give and take on both sides.  

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I think Shawniece tends to go into victim mode at such a point and Jephte reacts by claiming he's not so bad and is willing to compromise.  But compromise and give and take doesn't mean just picking and choosing what you want to do.  If it doesn't hurt a little bit, it isn't really much of a compromise.  Plus, being a woman I just hate it when men act like they're doing you a big favor by giving into your "demands" as if they don't have equal responsibility in the work being discussed, and I sense some of that coming from Jephte.  He may not have had a father figure in his family but I think he is influenced to see certain things as "women's work" by his overall culture anyway.

• Love 2

I just love Couples Cam and I only saw the season of one couple, Doug and Jamie. I'm new to the other couples.  I enjoy and I'm amused by the light but somewhat serious struggles to communicate. Oh, I saw Austin and Jenifer's season. They seem to be doing really well and moving along in their marriage pretty quickly. I love their dog - he really loves to be on camera.  

I'm looking forward to any of the current couples who make it through their marriage to join couples cam next season.  Woody and Bennett for the win!  Miles and Karen might be dull.  Christina and Henry would be wacky.  I'll be shocked to see Olivia and Brett.   make it.  Whoever shows up, I know I'll be there watching.

I still can't watch the Australian episodes it's just too ratchet in the previews.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Kira53 said:

I just love Couples Cam and I only saw the season of one couple, Doug and Jamie. I'm new to the other couples.  I enjoy and I'm amused by the light but somewhat serious struggles to communicate. Oh, I saw Austin and Jenifer's season. They seem to be doing really well and moving along in their marriage pretty quickly. I love their dog - he really loves to be on camera.  

I'm looking forward to any of the current couples who make it through their marriage to join couples cam next season.  Woody and Bennett for the win!  Miles and Karen might be dull.  Christina and Henry would be wacky.  I'll be shocked to see Olivia and Brett.   make it.  Whoever shows up, I know I'll be there watching.

I still can't watch the Australian episodes it's just too ratchet in the previews.

I watched the American version and the Australian version. I'm just entertained by more than one thing. I love the drama of the Australian version and the often more sweet version that the American version gives. It's all good to me.

• Love 2
On 8/11/2020 at 5:25 PM, Yeah No said:

I think Shawniece tends to go into victim mode at such a point and Jephte reacts by claiming he's not so bad and is willing to compromise.  But compromise and give and take doesn't mean just picking and choosing what you want to do.  If it doesn't hurt a little bit, it isn't really much of a compromise.  Plus, being a woman I just hate it when men act like they're doing you a big favor by giving into your "demands" as if they don't have equal responsibility in the work being discussed, and I sense some of that coming from Jephte.  He may not have had a father figure in his family but I think he is influenced to see certain things as "women's work" by his overall culture anyway.

I think one issue is Shawniece is probably still sore that Jepthe cheated on her while she was pregnant, even though they were not together at the time.  They are back together but I wonder if they've ever dealt with that.  The thing is when you harbor resentments, it doesn't hurt the other person, you're the one who gets screwed, it's like your'e seeing someone through a veil, "you cheated on me" might be all she can see. 

If I were Shawniece, I don't know that I would have taken him back, I think she took him back because she didn't want to be a single mother and both of them wanted to have a family so here they are.  

• Love 4

I thought this was a pretty fun episode, lots going on with the couples. Random comments:

-I was surprised that Deonna & Greg and Beth & Jaime made no attempt to social distance when they got together. I would have expected them to get together outside and stay 6 feet apart, especially when Beth & Jaime had just flown.

-I was really cute when Henley found and opened all of the eggs she had hidden for Jaime before Jaime could find them.

-Fun to see Bar Harbor where Kristina & Keith traveled. Vicariously is the only way I get to travel these days. 

-Jessica & Austin actually purchasing a house was more interesting than the fake haunted house story line from last week.

• Love 6

I really enjoyed this episode.  Loved the Maine vacay-makes me want to go back and eat Lobster!  The house buying was interesting and I would have liked to see more about that.  Anyone know how much they paid?  They were trying to avoid saying it.

I appreciate that Ashley and Danielle are supportive and friendly with each other.  I hope Danielle gets through this pregnancy without too much stress and stays fairly healthy.  

How does Beth get her dog on the airplane not contained?  He was in the aisle in one shot.  I understand how they were able to take the small dog in the carrier.  It was so weird to see how empty both the airports were in their scenes.  Like an above poster, I was surprised that nobody wore a mask in the Greg/Deonna and Beth/Jaime scenes.  They did look like they were having fun and that they are friends.

Oh, Jamie and Doug?  Fast forwarded.

• Love 2

JamieO's PPD story seems fake to me. I had it a few times... never did full makeup, perfect hair, while walking around in skimpy clothes like a glamour girl after giving birth & struggling with PPD. 🙄 But we're all different so maybe that was just me. 🤨

Felt relieved to not see Shawniece upset & crying this week.

All the dogs are the highlights of this show for me.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Loved the Maine vacay-makes me want to go back and eat Lobster! 

I had lobster on the brain after last night's episode. Tonight hubby and I ventured out to eat for the first time since mid March and had lobster rolls at a venue overlooking the water (tables were a good distance apart and all the servers were masked and gloved). I was a bit nervous but it was delightful.

Back to the episode... wow Keith was really packing those different lobster meals in. I think he has trimmed his beard back quite a bit and also cut his hair. He looked really good. I also was pretty shocked that Jamie and Beth came visiting and they all hugged and nobody was sitting far apart.  Then previews show that Beth's parents have COVID 19?  Not good. I sure hope they and Greg and Deonna don't get sick.

Ashley was funny with her do it yourself  kit.  I'd never voluntarily poke myself with a lancet and now she didn't draw enough blood and will have to do it again. Why not just get it done in a lab or at the next prenatal visit?  Anthony's military brother is cute.

Jamie and Doug's daughter Henley is very cute and precocious. Color me cynical and maybe awful of me to think this, but I agree with the poster upthread who said that she/he thinks this postpartum depression diagnosis of Jamie's is not real.  I believe lots of women get it but I don't believe Jamie has it. I know that sounds awful to say or think it even, but she doesn't come across as having it, especially with her hair extensions and full face of makeup.  

Congratulations to Austin and Jessica on their home purchase; I hope they didn't overextend themselves. It sounds like there were multiple offers and they had to increase their price.

I'm not the biggest fan of Danielle but  my heart goes out to her as it looks like she's going to be sick her entire pregnancy. I didn't experience morning sickness or any retching at all during my two pregnancies so I can't even imagine what the poor thing is going through.  Happy that she and Bobby are having a little boy, though. Bobby seemed over the moon. 

I guess next week we will see Stephanie and AJ and their glamping vacation.  How many  more episodes are left?

• Love 2

I still can’t believe Elizabeth and Jamie are together.  She’s just too much for me.  

Jamie and Doug aren’t my favorites but I think it’s good how Jamie described what she was feeling if it can help someone else.

The lobster looked so good!

Jamie and Beth got their dog on the plane unrestrained by claiming it's an "Emotional Support Animal". ESA dogs fly for free.See the little red vest with the wording on the sides?  You can order those vests from a multitude of places and while they may look official, they mean nothing. Then you buy a letter from an internet "doctor ormental health professional" stating you have to an ESA to fly due to your overwhelming fear issues. No doubt there are people with a legitimate need for an ESA,  but in many, many cases it's nothing but scam to fly your dog for free and to avoid putting it in the cargo hold. People who use this tactic with their untrained pets cause a huge problem for people who need to fly with their legitimate Service Dogs. Service Dogs are a totally different thing and they are covered under the ADA. Yes, it's confusing. People who take advantage of this make me want to throw them off the plane in midair. Thank you for coming to my TED talk on Service Dogs vs. Emotional Support Animals. 

Edited by DocTerv
edited because I never notice the mistakes till it posts
  • Useful 2
  • Love 15

While I believe there are true Emotional Support Animals, to make sure for flying, they should be at least be required to get a note from a real doctor or therapist; they would know if the person is really suffering from anxiety. The animal should also be well behaved of course.

It looked like their dogs were well behaved, & going in cargo is awful & dangerous for an animal, so I don't blame them for not wanting to do that. But if their dog is not a true Emotional Support Animal it sucks that they faked it so as not to pay. With filming they should realize they'd be called out for that you think though?

They at least had to pay for the little dog though, because even under the seat in a carrier there is a charge.

• Love 5

I can't stand animals so ESD's are just another thing that annoys me. It's almost impossible to get away from dogs at this point because so many people insist on having them but now bringing them everywhere too. I'm sure these support animals help some people but whatever. For me, it's more a way people can game the system. Get dogs on planes, in the work place/public places, apartments that don't allow pets. At the very least, they shouldn't be running free around other people.

Jamie and Beth just seem like this whole thing is one big vacation for them so I kinda don't enjoy watching them anyway. They just go as they please.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

While I believe there are true Emotional Support Animals, to make sure for flying, they should be at least be required to get a note from a real doctor or therapist; they would know if the person is really suffering from anxiety. The animal should also be well behaved of course.

It looked like their dogs were well behaved, & going in cargo is awful & dangerous for an animal, so I don't blame them for not wanting to do that. But if their dog is not a true Emotional Support Animal it sucks that they faked it so as not to pay. With filming they should realize they'd be called out for that you think though?

They at least had to pay for the little dog though, because even under the seat in a carrier there is a charge.

Unfortunately, ANY licensed therapist (with any type of training or degree) can write the letter and some unethical therapists make a business to just write a letter for anyone requests one from the Internet and pays a fee. Most just fill out some kind of form and get a letter.  Other times, licensed therapist feel the need to satisfy their clients request and write letters for people who don't really need the animal to accompany them, they just want the letters. In NY, a person with the letter can get an apartment in a no animal apartment building; so they request those letters. I once had a new client ask for a letter at the end of the second appointment just as she's paying. She asked for a letter for an animal that she had not even mentioned in the two sessions. She didn't even pretend to have some condition that she needed the pet.  She told me she wanted to move into a new apartment and she needed a letter stating her was an emotional support animal.  She was pretty angry when I didn't just write the letter but ethically there was no evidence that the animal was a "emotional support animal".  It was clear she wanted to abuse this loophole.   She never came back.  I thought it was indicative of her personality disorder that she didn't even pretend to need the animal as emotional support. 

I love animals and my pets emotionally support me but they're not emotional support animals because I don't have a condition requiring them to be with me. I can travel without them although I prefer to travel with them and I'd really love to travel for free with them. Luckily I own my own home so I don't know need anyone's permission for them to live with me but if I was looking for an apartment I would assume that buildings that don't allow animals would not be on my list to even look at. I wouldn't like it but I would except that there are people need to live in buildings without animals for severe allergies or even extreme phobias to animals.  I really hate this loophole. Either make a law to just let anybody travel with their animal in the cabin which is safer or no emotional support animals as it is currently defined. I would really hate to be someone who had searched for an apartment with a no animals clause to then have my neighbors certified to bring animals right around me.  

• Love 4

I can empathize with the people who are * really * struggling & their pets are such a comfort, but I agree there needs to be consideration for others. The pets should always be well behaved, that's a given. But, I also see the other side because one of my kids is highly allergic, asthmatic & can't be around cats & dogs (we can both tolerate dogs with hair, but not fur). Unfortunately service animals of any kind don't have a requirement to be less allergenic, & being stuck in that situation could be a real health risk for some.

• Love 4

I think Keith and Christine were taking advantage of the show paying for their little vacation to Maine.  That resort in Bar Harbor even now costs over $400 a night and all those lobster meals had to add up too.  My husband just drove a client to Maine - They still have a mandatory 14 day quarantine there for people from most states (ours was excluded from that). That was updated in June to accept a very recent (within a few days) Covid-19 test result.  So they had to provide those test results in order to be allowed to vacation there.

21 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

ITA, and this is also a sore subject over at the "Mariah" thread on the "Sister Wives" forum because of her and her girlfriend getting their dog on a flight as an emotional support animal when we all know that was totally bogus.

On 8/14/2020 at 11:32 PM, ECM1231 said:

I had lobster on the brain after last night's episode. Tonight hubby and I ventured out to eat for the first time since mid March and had lobster rolls at a venue overlooking the water (tables were a good distance apart and all the servers were masked and gloved). I was a bit nervous but it was delightful.

I'm going to such a place down on the shore in my state (CT) some time this week!!!  I can't wait!!

On 8/14/2020 at 11:32 PM, ECM1231 said:

Back to the episode... wow Keith was really packing those different lobster meals in. I think he has trimmed his beard back quite a bit and also cut his hair. He looked really good. I also was pretty shocked that Jamie and Beth came visiting and they all hugged and nobody was sitting far apart.  Then previews show that Beth's parents have COVID 19?  Not good. I sure hope they and Greg and Deonna don't get sick.

I was also a little shocked that there was no real attempt at social distancing when Jamie and Beth visited Greg and Deonna.  Then again Jamie and Beth had no issue traveling by plane, despite the fact that the airport was a ghost town and most people are electing not to do it.  So I guess they aren't that concerned about it.  I would have thought they'd have met outside on the lawn with appropriate distance, but no.

I watched that preview a few times and I'm SURE the show is messing with us because of how choppy the editing was.  I think the test result was negative or it was in the past and they're fine now.  Beth's mother said something like, "That could be very bad", like if they tested positive, which I'm sure they didn't or they wouldn't be sitting there with them.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 8/1/2020 at 2:21 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I was surprised when Danielle and Bobby were in the car and talking about how she was craving Mexican food, and they were going to Taco Bell (or at least the order sounded like Taco Bell).  And then for breakfast burritos I'm pretty sure they went to Sonic. 

I was surprised to see that what Bobby chose to make Danielle for a "healthy" breakfast, was a muffin (cinnamon and apple?), to which he added flaxseed (for a pregnancy benefit).  But most muffins are high in sugar and fat (and not the healthy fats), and adding the flaxseed to that doesn't make it actually healthy.  Whereas a homemade breakfast burrito would be a very healthy choice, with some combination of beans, sweet potatoes, avocado, egg, red peppers, etc, and he could add flaxseed to that.

On 8/10/2020 at 5:51 PM, Booger666 said:

It’s so interesting how we can watch the same thing and have different takeaways.  Some of you thought Jepthe was being really patient, but I thought he came across as disinterested.  I also thought waking her up was passive aggressive.  It’s fine to come up with a schedule and decide together how to manage mornings and evenings, but you don’t just put your wishes on the other person.  

On 8/11/2020 at 4:55 PM, gonecrackers said:

What confused me about this whole thing, was that Shawniece told 'us' in a camera moment about the reason for staying up at night, but she didn't ever mention it to Jephte, even though he was actively soliciting her input.  It made me wonder if he would somehow know that that's not really what she was doing when she stays up late. 

I really, really admire that they seem to be trying to make it work, and working through their own weaknesses regarding how they are in a relationship.  I was surprised how sort of panicked Jephte got when Shawniece was saying something about being "two different" people and he thought she was saying "too different", as in, that it wouldn't work because they were too different.  I was also surprised to hear Shawniece say that all you ever hear about with marriage is love, hugs, and kisses, but no one talks about the work.  I don't know if that's from watching TV/movies, or from listening to friends/relatives who for some reason want to paint a falsely rosy picture.  But I don't see/hear a lot about marriage being so easy...in fact, quite the other way.  I guess what we do see/hear is just the falling in love part (looking at you, Hallmark movies), and that def does look easy, light, fun.

I think that Jephte's natural state would be to take whichever path allows him to do less work, and that's why he originally suggested that Shawniece get up earlier rather than him taking on more, which completely misses the point.  But as said above, I think she shuts down when she gets emotional, so Jephte doesn't end up getting the feedback he really needs.  Shawniece also missed an opportunity when she was writing down that list of who does what, because all she did was add up the items, but she should have also accounted for how much time each one takes and how often it needs to be done. 

On 8/17/2020 at 10:07 AM, Yeah No said:

I watched that preview a few times and I'm SURE the show is messing with us because of how choppy the editing was.  I think the test result was negative or it was in the past and they're fine now.  Beth's mother said something like, "That could be very bad", like if they tested positive, which I'm sure they didn't or they wouldn't be sitting there with them.

Yes that is exactly what I was thinking.  I also wonder/hope if choppy editing was at play in the preview about Jepthe taking Laura to go somewhere...they made it sound like he was 'leaving', as in leaving the marriage for awhile.  

• Love 1
On 8/16/2020 at 4:12 PM, gonecrackers said:

I can empathize with the people who are * really * struggling & their pets are such a comfort, but I agree there needs to be consideration for others. The pets should always be well behaved, that's a given. But, I also see the other side because one of my kids is highly allergic, asthmatic & can't be around cats & dogs (we can both tolerate dogs with hair, but not fur). Unfortunately service animals of any kind don't have a requirement to be less allergenic, & being stuck in that situation could be a real health risk for some.

The thing is, service animals are relatively rare, so the vast majority of people are never or only very seldom around them.  They're for blind people, or people with epilepsy--that sort of thing.  Also, dogs aren't the only animals allowed to be service animals--miniature horses can, too.  Service animals are allowed to go anywhere the person can go.

It's these emotional support animals that are causing trouble.  There's a special rule for them on airplanes, which kind of makes sense, or did until people started abusing it so much.  This is from a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking intended to tighten up the rules on airplanes: 

Passengers have attempted to fly with many different unusual species of animals, such as a peacock, ducks, turkeys, pigs, iguanas, and various other types of animals as emotional support or service animals, causing confusion for airline employees and additional scrutiny for service animal users.

That's how bad it's gotten. 

The plane thing is because people are exploiting a provision applicable only to planes, but out in the world at large, the trouble is caused by most people not knowing the difference between a service animal and an emotional support animal.  ESAs don't benefit from exceptions other than in rental housing and on airplanes.  If a store lets in an animal that is not a service animal individually trained to perform a task for a person with a disability, it's because the store chooses to.  The store isn't required to let in any other animal, period.  So an "emotional support animal" in this context has no higher rights than a pet. 

Except on planes and in rental housing, there are two categories:  (1) service animals individually trained to perform a task for a person with a disability, and (2) pets.  It's kind of inexcusable that there's so much confusion out in the general world because it's not that complicated.  And with any luck, the very broad exception on airplanes will be changed, to make it less complicated as well.

• Love 4

That bothers me too. My son has a medical condition (POTS) that causes him to pass out unexpectedly and his dog alerts him when that is about to happen so he can sit down. It requires constant education to the public about the difference and  the laws surrounding it and that they shouldn’t try to touch her when she’s working.  He even takes her to work so he is able to be employed. 
So yeah, people that abuse the situation makes it harder for those who genuinely need a service animal. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

I love this show and find most of the couples relatable.  BUT the producers must think the viewers are idiots, or at least not very observant. Keith and Kristine were clearly back in their own home talking as if they were still in Maine. Come on, guys. We see the familiar front door, the top of their sofa, and the colorless blank wall behind it screaming for something, anything, to hang on it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

So, based on what happened in the show at the end, and the previews for next week, did Beth's insistence on going home just infect Jamie and herself?  Cause, um, that's kind of stupid. Way to go, insisting you need to go home, only to get the virus.  Dang. 

• Love 1
On 8/16/2020 at 1:28 PM, Racj82 said:

Jamie and Beth just seem like this whole thing is one big vacation for them so I kinda don't enjoy watching them anyway. They just go as they please.

On 8/17/2020 at 9:07 AM, Yeah No said:

8⁸I was also a little shocked that there was no real attempt at social distancing when Jamie and Beth visited Greg and Deonna.  Then again Jamie and Beth had no issue traveling by plane, despite the fact that the airport was a ghost town and most people are electing not to do it.  So I guess they aren't that concerned about it.  I would have thought they'd have met outside on the lawn with appropriate distance, but no.

@Racj82, Unfortunately, the concern you've been expressing for weeks over Jamie and Elizabeth's lackadaisical attitude towards even the most basic health and safety guidelines available regarding covid-19 proved to be well-founded on tonight's episode. Seeing them have sustained exposure to someone confirmed positive while also hanging out with Greg and Deonna - with nary a mention about social distancing nor a mask in sight -  was horrifying. (Greg and Deonna.... I expected more). And I hate to think how many others were exposed not just to Jamie and Elizabeth, but also to Elizabeth's mother, as a direct result of this ill-fated, ill-timed trip.

5 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I’m not understanding people start visiting with only the question you been good? 

People have great capacity to act like idiots. See  Jamie and Elizabeth, Exhibits A and B.

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Zero260 said:

BUT the producers must think the viewers are idiots, or at least not very observant. Keith and Kristine were clearly back in their own home talking as if they were still in Maine. Come on, guys. We see the familiar front door, the top of their sofa, and the colorless blank wall behind it screaming for something, anything, to hang on it. 

I noticed that also!!!  The production on this show has always been horrible.

I can understand Keith/Kristine stopping at Rhode Island  to or from going to Maine, which is a long way from Philly. But DC is not along the way, as it is south of Philly. This road trip seems bogus.

The worst part is no masks, so social distance with Keith/Kristine, Shawnice/Jept, Jessica/Austin, Beth/Jamie, AJ/Stephanie during a pandemic and then to have a notice at the end of the show about COVID. And Beth's mother is positive so Beth hugs her.

Edited by OnTime
  • Love 1

Jephte is one of the worst husbands on this show. How dare he embarrass his wife in front of guests! He's in his feelings because she's not tolerating his "this is the woman's work mentality." She clearly stated to him that she stays up late when he and their daughter are asleep so that she can work on her wigs. I also hate that he sometimes tries to pin his behavior on being Haitian or of Caribbean background.  It seems more like he and his brothers were raised to be little princes who don't do anything around the house. I really don't understand why Shawnice is still with his immature, rude behind. 

Keith is a better representation of Caribbean men. He's kind, thoughtful, is willing to help his wife around the house. I love his and Kristine's relationship. They complement each other so well.

Jessica is such an over thinker. Austin really is a good balance for her as he's able to reason with her when she goes all the way left.

• Love 4

Soooo Jamie and Beth just hop on a plane home after being exposed?  From the previews it looks like they are back home.  I would think once they find out Beth’s parents are positive, they would immediately get tested and then isolate, not say “oh well, let’s go home and expose people along the way.”

• Love 13
10 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

@Racj82, Unfortunately, the concern you've been expressing for weeks over Jamie and Elizabeth's lackadaisical attitude towards even the most basic health and safety guidelines available regarding covid-19 proved to be well-founded on tonight's episode. Seeing them have sustained exposure to someone confirmed positive while also hanging out with Greg and Deonna - with nary a mention about social distancing nor a mask in sight -  was horrifying. (Greg and Deonna.... I expected more). And I hate to think how many others were exposed not just to Jamie and Elizabeth, but also to Elizabeth's mother, as a direct result of this ill-fated, ill-timed trip.

People have great capacity to act like idiots. See  Jamie and Elizabeth, Exhibits A and B.

Yes. I wished nothing bad on them but this is the issues in the states right now. On this show, they keep blatantly not being protective. I never see them wearing masks or gloves. They constantly go out in public/ traveling and stuff like that. 

Then you hug someone you know has the virus and travel back among other people.

I haven't hugged my mom since March. We fist bump goodbye now. I work for FedEx. Lord knows what I may or may not come across so I keep my distance from her and others if I have not showered or changed clothes.

It seemed to be taken seriously at first but as this show went on, I kept seeing people being more and more lax with the precautions. That's why we are still nowhere near bouncing back from this in the states.

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 15
22 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

Then you hug someone you know has the virus and travel back among other people.

This!  I know it’s instinct to want to comfort someone, especially your mom, but now is not the time, or not like that.  Plus the dad decides to put his mask on AFTER the recording!?  They probably listened to it ten times before the little table discussion.  They both should’ve been wearing masks.

I know the couples have their cameras, but I have to think there’s some crew involved at certain points.  What about them?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, For Cereals said:

I know the couples have their cameras, but I have to think there’s some crew involved at certain points.  What about them?

I honestly think there are no crews with them. Several of them have shown how they have the cameras set up in their houses.

Also, when Jamie was filming Unfiltered she had to have the crew in her house and she did a Covid test that the show sent her.

It is completely irresponsible to show these people traveling around with no masks, social distance or concern.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, For Cereals said:

Soooo Jamie and Beth just hop on a plane home after being exposed?  From the previews it looks like they are back home.  I would think once they find out Beth’s parents are positive, they would immediately get tested and then isolate, not say “oh well, let’s go home and expose people along the way.”

This! I seriously could not believe my eyes that she thought the next step after getting exposed was to get on a plane! What!??!! They should have stayed with her parents and quarantined! Unbelievably stupid! I cannot fathom why the show decided to even air this knowing they violated rules about traveling during this pandemic.

I can only imagine the ire she will receive on social media for their reckless behavior. It is well deserved in this instance!

• Love 10
5 hours ago, spunky said:

Jephte is one of the worst husbands on this show. How dare he embarrass his wife in front of guests! He's in his feelings because she's not tolerating his "this is the woman's work mentality." She clearly stated to him that she stays up late when he and their daughter are asleep so that she can work on her wigs. I also hate that he sometimes tries to pin his behavior on being Haitian or of Caribbean background.  It seems more like he and his brothers were raised to be little princes who don't do anything around the house. I really don't understand why Shawnice is still with his immature, rude behind. 

Keith is a better representation of Caribbean men. He's kind, thoughtful, is willing to help his wife around the house. I love his and Kristine's relationship. They complement each other so well.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Caribbean.  Jephte was never really into Shawnice, though Shawnice was into him.  I feel the only reason they are together is their daughter.  On the other hand, Keith fell for Kristine as soon as he saw her and I think Kristine was into Keith as well.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Ilovepie said:
6 hours ago, For Cereals said:

This! I seriously could not believe my eyes that she thought the next step after getting exposed was to get on a plane! What!??!! They should have stayed with her parents and quarantined! Unbelievably stupid! I cannot fathom why the show decided to even air this knowing they violated rules about traveling during this pandemic.

It is so hard to know what is true and what is made up on this show!

For all we know, they have all be tested and this is just scripted

OR

it is real and they are all that stupid.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, OnTime said:

OR

You could absolutely be correct, but the previews for next week where they are home and she is now sick do not give me hope that they acted responsibly.......

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't think it has anything to do with the Caribbean.  Jephte was never really into Shawnice, though Shawnice was into him.  I feel the only reason they are together is their daughter.  On the other hand, Keith fell for Kristine as soon as he saw her and I think Kristine was into Keith as well.  

In the past he tried to blame growing up in a Haitian/Caribbean household for him being an ass to Shawnice. I do agree that they're together only because of Laura, which is truly sad. He has no regards for Shawnice's feelings whatsoever. I won't be surprised if they split up in the near future.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, OnTime said:

OR

I would put my money on the latter. I just can’t warm up to them and repeated exposure to them isn’t helping. 

• Love 4