Type keyword(s) to search

Stars and Stripsey Forever: Stargirl in the Comics and Elsewhere

tessaray
  • Start Topic

On 8/13/2021 at 5:00 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

2. We don't know, we didn't see what she saw. Possibly Rebecca's dead body in the same condition that the doll looked like for a moment when Rebecca took it out of the box.

We did see black smoke dissipating where the mom looked, so probably something like that.

Glad to finally see the Thunderbolt introduced. When Pat says he's extremely powerful and dangerous, he's not kidding. One of the first comics I ever read was a Justice League/Justice Society crossover in the '60s. Earth 2's Johnny Thunder, master of the 'Bolt noticed that many JSA heroes had doppelgangers on Earth 1 and wondered whether he did, too, so he had T'bolt track him down. Turns out Earth 1 Johnny was a crook - but had just as much authority over T'bolt as original Johnny. Bad Johnny has the Bolt go through time to prevent the JLA from becoming heroes and replace them with crooks. An evil Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, even Superman and Martian Manhunter. After an epic battle the JSA takes them down and there's so much destruction,  Bad Johnny wishes it had never happened! Thunderbolt is ... REALLY dangerous in the wrong hands.

• Useful 1
On 8/27/2021 at 1:18 AM, Gimmick Genius said:

Glad to finally see the Thunderbolt introduced. When Pat says he's extremely powerful and dangerous, he's not kidding. One of the first comics I ever read was a Justice League/Justice Society crossover in the '60s. Earth 2's Johnny Thunder, master of the 'Bolt noticed that many JSA heroes had doppelgangers on Earth 1 and wondered whether he did, too, so he had T'bolt track him down. Turns out Earth 1 Johnny was a crook - but had just as much authority over T'bolt as original Johnny. Bad Johnny has the Bolt go through time to prevent the JLA from becoming heroes and replace them with crooks. An evil Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, even Superman and Martian Manhunter. After an epic battle the JSA takes them down and there's so much destruction,  Bad Johnny wishes it had never happened! Thunderbolt is ... REALLY dangerous in the wrong hands.

Yeah, I just read about that yesterday.

I remember Mr. Deisinger as Paintball in the early Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E comics.  He showed up in the latest episode of Stargirl, although he was presented somewhat differently.  

I had never actually read any Stargirl comics, but after the series debuted last year, I checked out a graphics novel that chronicled her first appearances, like the first 12 issues or so.  It was pretty good, maybe I'll read some more.  

• Useful 1
On 8/27/2021 at 1:18 AM, Gimmick Genius said:

I got all volumes of Crisis on Multiple Earths that DC Comics put out. They've been re-publishing those in larger volumes. And those early Crises were a trip and a half. "Crisis on Earth-A" was fun . . . the Johnny Thunder from Earth-1 was as big a dummy as his counterpart. Even as he ordered Thunderbolt, you could tell he was over his head. And the JSA managed to hang with the twists until the end.

(ETA: One fun scene: Johnny-1 trying his best to remember the word to take control of Thunderbolt, and Thunderbolt noting that he was as dumb as his Johnny . . . and his Johnny thought a polar cap was something you'd wear to keep your head warm.)

Johnny;s phrase to summon Thunderbolt was "CEI-U." JJ Thunder had "So Cul." Anyone else disappointed that Jim Gaffigan is playing Thunderbolt, and the summon phrase isn't "HT PCKT"?

Edited by Lantern7

I was poking around online where I remember something about Eclipso's series back in the Nineties. In issue #13, he murdered a lot of heroes.

Including Wildcat and Dr. Midnight.

image.png.bc7eec855a89691e2fc663255c747dc2.png

Originally, I figured that Eclipso was brought in because he was brought into JSA for a spell. But then I re-remembered the hero slaughter, and I start getting nervous for Yolanda and Beth.

Oh, and the person that possessed Eclipso in JSA was Alex Montez, cousin of the late Yolanda. I dunno . . . maybe that'll come up on Stargirl.

• Love 1

'Can They Draw Too?: Six DC Actors Who Became DC Authors'

Brec Bassinger – Stargirl

It’s well-known legend by now that DC creative workhorse Geoff Johns first cut his teeth in the DC Universe on the series Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E., which introduced us to Courtney Whitmore, the young hero who would become Stargirl. Today, Johns helms a TV series based on that early work heading into its third season, featuring talented ingenue Brec Bassinger as Stargirl’s star girl. To celebrate his creation’s newest run in the spotlight, Johns returned to the hero he made (and who made him) with this year’s Stargirl Spring Break Special and he brought Bassinger along with him to tell a short story of her own. Though perhaps not strictly a comic, Bassinger’s one-page series of notes written from Courtney’s perspective shed new light on how the fledgling hero attempts to navigate her difficult school-life balance.

'Who Is the Mysterious Mister Bones and What Does He Want with Our Resident Super Teen on ‘Stargirl’? '

-- I'm sure there are others, but here's one summary of the character introduced in the Season 2 finale.

... And while that was informative, I'm still confused as to how he would fit in the show. Not really knowing much about the comic source material has turned out pretty well for me with this show, so I don't think I'll be doing more research and just see what Season 3 brings.

New comic miniseries based on the CW DCTV shows coming in this spring. No info on the Stargirl issue yet.

EARTH-PRIME is a three-month, six-issue event set entirely in the universe of DC’s popular super hero TV shows. All issues are part of the Warner Bros. Television show canon, approved by CW television show producers. Each of the first five issues spotlights a different CW/DC super hero show, with the sixth issue serving as a cross-over finale.

...Subsequent issues will spotlight The CW television shows DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, DC’s Stargirl and The Flash, all written or co-written by creative talent from the shows. Each issue will also include bonus material created by cast members of The CW shows, as well as “teasers” that will provide clues to the nature of the final crossover in issue #6

More info and cover art for the Stargirl issue of Earth-Prime is out: https://aiptcomics.com/2022/02/16/exclusive-dc-first-look-earth-prime-stargirl-and-legends-of-tomorrow/

The Dugan-Whitmore family vacation is in full swing, but something sinister lurks in the woods, stalking Pat Dugan. Can Stargirl and S.T.R.I.P.E. face down the threat from Pat’s past and preserve their summer trip, or will it come to a tragic end?

EARTH-PRIME: STARGIRL #4

Written by JAMES ROBINSON and PAULA SEVENBERGEN
Art by JERRY ORDWAY
Cover by KIM JACINTO

Photo variant cover
$5.99 US | 48 pages | 4 of 6 | Variant $6.99 US (card stock)
ON SALE 5/17/22

ngcb1

It's pretty much a standalone.  At the end of the issue Magog stops by to recruit a reformed villain but gets rejected - however, he does collect the guy's DNA and will create a clone.  The only thing teased about the regulars is the vagueness of Pat's age - he references a time vortex to explain why said villain, who he fought with Sylvester in the old days, is a senior citizen while he's not.

Oh, and it turns out Magog has a special grudge against Barry and his kids.

• Useful 1

A couple of new series featuring the JSA and Stargirl premiere later this Fall:

'The New Golden Age from DC Starts This November'

... The New Golden Age one-shot from Geoff Johns lands at comic book shops on November 8th and will unlock DC’s epic and secret-ridden history of heroism, launching a new group of titles with Justice Society of America and Stargirl: The Lost Children. ...

STARGIRL: THE LOST CHILDREN #1
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and cover by TODD NAUCK
Variant cover by CRYSTAL KUNG
1:25 variant cover by MAYO “SEN” NAITO
$3.99 US | 32 pages | 1 of 6 | Variant $4.99 US (card stock)
ON SALE 11/15/22

“There’s nothing I get more gratitude from than continuing the legacy of my sister with Stargirl. And to do it with Todd is a blessing as we introduce DC’s secret Golden Age of teenage heroes in a fun mini-event,” added Johns.

Johns is teaming up with Iconic Young Justice illustrator Todd Nauck for an epic teenage DC hero event, Stargirl: The Lost Children! When Stargirl of the Justice Society and Green Arrow’s ally Red Arrow discover a tragic teenage hero from the past has gone missing, they set out to find him...only to discover he’s not the first teenage hero of the Golden Age to have vanished without a trace. But where have they gone? Who are they? And what does the Childminder want with them?

Stargirl%20The%20Lost%20Children%201_62f

Obviously not the same team members as this show, but the JSA is in the Black Adam movie. (It'd be cool if there was a small easter egg, though.)

Very short video about the team in the comics:

Curious if anyone here has read The Golden Age. Basically, it was James Robinson writing deep stuff a few years before he got Starman, focusing on Golden Age heroes after WWII. I know this is a spoiler/booktalk thread, but I don't want to ruin the surprises. Here's part of it, which relates to Stargirl.

Spoiler

Tex Thompson, a one-time third-string hero, has emerged as the most celebrated superhero after the war. Now called the Americommando (yes, really), Tex sought to put America on a progressive path, including enlisting JSAers like Atom and Johnny Thunder. The big twist in issue #3 was that Ultra-Humanite wound up taking over Tex's body, and he was manipulating the hell out of the story. His time as Dolores Winters is briefly mentioned as well.

• Useful 1

BTW, the trade edition of the Earth-Prime mini-series came out this month; includes all six issues of the crossover:

The creative minds behind The CW’s hottest DC superhero shows are bringing their talents and the characters they’ve made so popular to comic books in a can’t-miss event! Set in the CWverse, the series features Ryan Wilder, a.k.a. Batwoman, making her costumed comic book debut, Superman and Lois’s first anniversary, the Legends of Tomorrow, Stargirl, the Flash, and more! While each issue focuses on a different series, a threat lurks in the background, out to finally bring these heroes to their knees! Collects Earth-Prime #1-6.

https://www.dc.com/graphic-novels/earth-prime

EPRIME_CE%20(Cover)_63be1d24caae63.64270