Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Episode 8

• Start Topic

S01.E08: Fairytale Finale

In a fairy tale finale, the teams create scenes inspired by Jack and the Beanstalk, Hansel and Gretel, and Rapunzel, and one is crowned champion.

Ha, I bet that when Sarah and Jordan watched this episode, they felt justified in not giving Andrew and Ryan any of their red plants in the previous challenge. Sarah said last week essentially the same thing that Andrew said this week - if you get there first and grab the good stuff, it's yours and you don't have to share with anyone else.

I know the show wanted atmosphere but they went overboard with the smoke machine when they were showing the three final creations.

Ryan and Andrew's Hansel and Gretel really created a mood. They got stuck with the least dramatic looking structure but they really made the most of it. The outside of the house looked like a creepy old witch house and I loved how they made the inside of the house so bright and enchanting. Their sculpture skills really paid off with the Hansel, Gretel, and witch creatures. They did a great job telling a clear story.

Jim and Ralph's Jack and the Beanstalk was a bit unclear as a beanstalk but it was pretty and graceful. I loved the hydrangea at the top. The signs were funny and the goose was cute.

Yan and Henck's Rapunzel had so many great details. I loved the curled edges of the roof tiles. The little purple flower as the witch's eye was another fun detail. They did a really good job covering up the green felt pockets they used on the outside of the tower, which was a lot of work.

I loved seeing all six finalists holding hands before the winner was announced. So sweet!

Congratulations to Ryan and Andrew! Yan and Henck were very gracious when they said that they were happy that this competition brought creative people like Ryan and Andrew to flowers and plants and that they need more talented people like that.

I wish we'd gotten to see what Ryan and Andrew made for Kew Gardens.

I liked this show but I didn't looooove it the way I loved The Big Allotment Challenge. I think one of the big differences was that on TBAC, the contestants had already spent weeks bonding before the show started taping (because they had to start planting several weeks ahead of time) so they were all very close. On shows like that, I love seeing all the former contestants come back.

When we got to see the eliminated teams one last time in this episode, my reaction wasn't "Awwww, I missed that person!" It was "Ugh, I'm so glad that Taylor got eliminated early." I guess I should feel a little bit bad for disliking the hipster Americans so much but man, they make it hard for me to like them. Between her voice, her hats, and her ditzy answer to one of the judges about how she sometimes cuts her own hair so she could probably trim the topiary (and let's be real - do you really think she cuts her own hair or do you think she goes to a hipster Brooklyn hair salon for keratin treatments, blowouts, and $200 haircuts?), I'm glad she only lasted three episodes.

Anyway, I guess if they end up doing a second season, I'll probably watch it but I probably wouldn't have binged this if I hadn't been quarantined.

• Love 3
(edited)

Again, I don't get why they have to fight over materials - how much better could those arrangements have looked if everybody got what they needed/wanted ...

On 5/26/2020 at 6:20 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked this show but I didn't looooove it the way I loved The Big Allotment Challenge. I think one of the big differences was that on TBAC, the contestants had already spent weeks bonding before the show started taping (because they had to start planting several weeks ahead of time) so they were all very close. On shows like that, I love seeing all the former contestants come back.

Anyway, I guess if they end up doing a second season, I'll probably watch it but I probably wouldn't have binged this if I hadn't been quarantined.

For me, the main difference was that the Allotment Challenge encouraged people to try and grow stuff themselves - it was aimed at novices and keen gardeners alike. This Flower show is for (semi-) professionals. You don't whip up a sculpture like that in an afternoon whereas the flower challenge on TBAC was usually something you could actually have a go at.

I skipped ahead a few times, so correct me if I am wrong, but have they ever explained how you keep those sculptures and all those lovely plants in shape? So many of the plants they used would not survive for long anyway, expecially outside. Honestly, my favourite thing was the plant nursery before the contestants got their hands on them.

Anyway, congratulations to Ryan and Andrew. I am glad they weren't literal with the brief. It amost looked a bit Alice in Wonderland.

I liked the braid on Rapunzels hair.

Great set of guest judges.

If any of you have seen Your Home Made Perfect - an interior design/architecture show that uses Virtual Reality to help contestants make decisions - they just put out a call for a similar garden themed show. It will probably take quite a while until it airs, but I am looking forward to that.

Edited by Aulty

So did the winners get any money?  What was the prize?

I liked all 3.  I was thinking Rapunzel was going to win but when I saw the inside of the witches house...wow.

I'm glad they won and I hope they won money to get a tooth implant.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/4/2020 at 9:15 PM, NYGirl said:

I was thinking Rapunzel was going to win but when I saw the inside of the witches house...wow.

I'm glad they won and I hope they won money to get a tooth implant.

The inside of the house really was wow! And the figures were so well done, too.

I've forgotten the guy's name already, but yeah, he's so cute even with a missing tooth - I suppose it's just money holding him back. I believe the prize is the display at Kew Royal Botanic Gardens. That surely brings with it opportunities though. I hope so, they're very talented!

Edited by Nordly Beaumont

Yay! The best team won.

I'd quibble that it's this dark interpretation of H&G was not true to the story in that the kids would never have actually gone into that house. Theirs looked like a proper scary, forbidding witch's house in the woods! Who'd go near that? However, the execution was IMO by far the best. (And I don't always pay the closest attention, so maybe they said something like this, but I guess the kids could have looked in the windows and been enchanted by the color inside?)

Yan and Henck did great work throughout, no shade to them. And Jim and Ralph were so lovely. I really liked all the finalists.

It took me all the way to the end to notice Kristen's last name Griffiths-Vanderyacht. I assume that's not his given name?! I mean, "Van der yacht" is absolutely a rich character's name in a satirical novel.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, snarktini said:

I'd quibble that it's this dark interpretation of H&G was not true to the story in that the kids would never have actually gone into that house. Theirs looked like a proper scary, forbidding witch's house in the woods! Who'd go near that? However, the execution was IMO by far the best. (And I don't always pay the closest attention, so maybe they said something like this, but I guess the kids could have looked in the windows and been enchanted by the color inside?)

Yeah, it was brought up by the judges. Basically, they'd have to do an amazing job with the interior to make it work. And, of course, they did. Fairly breathtaking, IMO. 

• Love 1