Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

S1.E5: Magnificent Mobiles

Fireworks burst, cyclones swirl, and pigs fly when the contestants use colorful dried flowers to form floating sculptures suspended in midair.

Awwww, it was sweet to see Ryan and Andrew offer to help Andi and Helen. I don't have an issue with it because Andi and Helen didn't ask for help. Ryan and Andrew were finished with their mobile and they offered to help. I've seen contestants do the same thing on multiple shows (GBBO, Project Runway, Making It, even Top Chef).

I hated the lighting inside the dome when we finally got to see everyone's mobiles. I don't care about moody atmosphere. I want to see what everyone just spent 15 hours making.

Ralph and Jim's dandelion mobile was very pretty. I loved how they managed to make their dandelions look so delicate and light.

Yan and Henck's flying pig mobile was whimsical, but can we talk about Henck's full on clown outfit? I did agree with Kristen that their mobile looked a bit crowded because they put everything so close together.

Helen and Andi's fireworks mobile was a great idea but they clearly ran out of time. The one that they spent the most time on looked really good though so I wish they'd had time to finish.

Jordan and Sarah's storm cloud mobile definitely evoked a mood. I liked their use of blues and purples. The birds were a fun addition, especially the one that could fly! Sarah really got snappy with Jordan during construction though. I may have clapped my hands with glee when Jordan ended up fixing the problem immediately. HA!

Ryan and Andrew's infinity mirror was a really cool concept. I wish I could have stood underneath it and looked at it in person.

Eoghan and Declan's forest fire looked like one giant ball of baby's breath. The assignment was to have four separate hanging elements and it didn't look like there were four distinct elements. When one of them said that it was 200 mobiles together, I was like uh, no. You can't just tie a bunch of the same flowers into posies, hang them upside down, and call it a day. That doesn't fulfill the assignment. I will say that their color placement was lovely, but I also agreed with Kristen that their concept was not obvious. Without their explanation about how it's a warning sign about environmental awareness, it just looked like a bunch of upside down baby's breath.

I really thought that Andrew and Ryan were going to win based on the judges' reactions. Congratulations to Sarah and Jordan for their first win!

I was okay with Eoghan and Declan being eliminated because they didn't fulfill the challenge requirements. It sucks because they did make something pretty, but the first priority in your design should always be making sure that you meet the bare minimum requirements of the actual challenge (even Nick and Taylor technically made a dress in addition to their umbrella).

• Love 3

I can't tell whether the releationship between Hanck/Yan and Andrew/Ryan is just friedly competition or if they can't stand each other.

Its a lot, but Hanck and Yan's outits are really entertaining. Its like they wear half an YMCA carboot sale each, but somehow it looks really cool.

Sorry to see Eoghan and Declan go. They are talented and a bit cocky. Helen and Andi were really lucky.

36 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

I'm very distracted by the guy with the missing tooth.  Right in front no less!

Right? And I felt bad about being bothered by it, but the more I tried to ignore it, the more it was all I saw. Glad it wasn't just me.

• Love 2
On 5/26/2020 at 6:15 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was okay with Eoghan and Declan being eliminated because they didn't fulfill the challenge requirements. It sucks because they did make something pretty, but the first priority in your design should always be making sure that you meet the bare minimum requirements of the actual challenge (even Nick and Taylor technically made a dress in addition to their umbrella).

Agreed. It wasn't on brief at all. I was shocked they thought they'd be best in bloom.

In the last episode, you noted that Kristen saying "you said you were going to make a cornucopia and you did!" was lame. This episode explained why he said that -- it's now clear his philosophy is that a successful design is one that starts with a clear, well-developed concept, is planned carefully, and is executed as conceived (with lots of color). Deliver as promised. No improvisation, no winging it.

On another note entirely: Such a contrast between GBBO judges, who are delighted to see competitors pitching in, and here where the judge actually stopped them from helping.