Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’ Crew Members Quarantined After Guest Star Tests Positive For Covid-19; Production Not Impacted

Production on Star Trek: Strange New Worlds has not been impacted, and the series still is filming.

The latest Star Trek offshoot, which started production in Toronto last month, is based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Leading the cast are Ethan Peck, Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn, reprising their roles from Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery.

Toronto and the entire Ontario province of Canada is in the midst of a one-month lockdown as it battles a surge of Covid cases.

At the Star Trek Day virtual convention, they FINALLY confirmed that three of the characters that hadn't been announced are Uhura, Nurse Chapel, and Dr. M'Benga.

And Number One's name is Una Chin-Riley.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, starri said:

The Aenar crewman is a REALLY deep pull.  And just like the Aenar, the actor is blind.

*chef's kiss*

Doctor M'Benga is a decently deep cut too.  But the old continuity had McCoy drafting him for his knowledge of Vulcan anatomy.  So now instead he's already served on the ship, seemingly as CMO, but came back DEMOTED under McCoy?  Huh?

• Love 1

We have uniform pictures! Certainly very close to TOS, but not quite there. Good old wardrobe department, always have to fiddle with things. Or are these things mandated by the showrunners?

My first thought was the women's dresses are awfully short, but IO9 says they're actually fitted jackets and leggings. In other news, why the bars behind Uhura's badge? And why are Spock and Una Chin-Riley's badges a slightly different shape to Kirk and Uhura's? These things just stand out at me.

3 hours ago, Anduin said:

My first thought was the women's dresses are awfully short, but IO9 says they're actually fitted jackets and leggings. In other news, why the bars behind Uhura's badge? And why are Spock and Una Chin-Riley's badges a slightly different shape to Kirk and Uhura's? These things just stand out at me.

Maybe Uhura's badge is like a remote control that has additional functions like adjusting the range of the communications/scanners while away from her console. 

4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Maybe Uhura's badge is like a remote control that has additional functions like adjusting the range of the communications/scanners while away from her console. 

Interesting idea, but they look a little too solid for that. Still, maybe they do represent communication aerials.

53 minutes ago, FrankOFoley said:

I have to ask, anyone know if and when it will be shown in Canada?

Not sure about when, but this is from the end of the most recent posts about the show on StarTrek.com (emphasis added):

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds will stream exclusively on Paramount+ in the U.S., Latin America, Australia & the Nordics. The series will air on Bell Media’s CTV Sci-Fi Channel & stream on Crave in Canada with additional international availability to be announced at a later date. The series is distributed by Paramount Global Content Distribution.

• Love 1
On 3/1/2022 at 8:51 AM, Anduin said:

In other news, why the bars behind Uhura's badge?

Because she's a cadet, not an officer.  Tilly's was similar in the first season of Disco.

• Love 2

New trailer! I have to say, the tone is a little too jokey for my liking. And everyone seems very confident, perhaps a bit too much. I'm still interested, of course. I just wish they'd dial it back in a couple of spots.

• Love 1
(edited)

Enjoy being CMO while you can, M'Benga.  Kirk's going to be happy to demote you when he convinces his old buddy McCoy to come on board.

And yes, everyone does seem very snarky compared to the overall attitude we got in TOS.  When Kirk takes over he'll tell everyone to keep their jokes to themselves.

Edited by cambridgeguy
4 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Enjoy being CMO while you can, M'Benga.  Kirk's going to be happy to demote you when he convinces his old buddy McCoy to come on board.

And yes, everyone does seem very snarky compared to the overall attitude we got in TOS.  When Kirk takes over he'll tell everyone to keep their jokes to themselves.

Maybe he gets promoted to Starfleet Medical? Or captaining his own medical ship?

I haven't seen much TOS, but yes, I remember that being more serious. TNG certainly. And as for DS9, I'm sure there were days when Sisko outright hated his job. Joking around would be the last thing on his mind.

• Love 1

Other than Spock, everyone seems too...modern day.  Same problem as Discovery (only that looks worse from what little I saw) and the Abrams movies (definitely way worse).   I was thinking about getting Paramount+ for this but seeing how they're apparently trying to be quippy like Marvel movies takes some of the shine off.   

• Love 1

I am so delighted right now.  They're bringing Dr. M'Benga's first name and Spock's "unpronounceable" family name from the novels into canon.

Star Trek: Vanguard (set on a starbase during the TOS era, although that scarcely does it justice) would have rivaled DS9 as a favorite series if it had actually been filmed, and M'Benga is a pretty big character in it.  It's nice that, even though it's mostly irreconcilable with Disco and Strange New Worlds, they decided to honor it.

• Love 1

Can't get enough of what you saw on Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (just kidding)? Then make sure you get the Star Trek: Strange New Worlds: The High Country tie-in novel from John Jackson Miller. John Jackson Miller is also responsible for the Star Trek: Picard: Rogue Elements, Star Trek: Discovery: Die Standing, and Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War novels.

star-trek-strange-new-worlds-the-high-co 

The novel will be released on November 8, 2022 from Pocket Books.   Length: 320 pages

"When an experimental shuttlecraft fails, Captain Christopher Pike suspects a mechanical malfunction—only to discover the very principles on which Starfleet bases its technology have simply stopped functioning. He and his crewmates are forced to abandon ship in a dangerous maneuver that scatters their party across the strangest new world they've ever encountered.

"First Officer Una finds herself fighting to survive an untamed wilderness where dangers lurk at every turn. Young cadet Nyota Uhura struggles in a volcanic wasteland where things are not as they seem. Science Officer Spock is missing altogether. And Pike gets the chance to fulfill a childhood dream: to live the life of a cowboy in a world where the tools of the 23rd century are of no use.

"Yet even in the saddle, Pike is still very much a starship captain, with all the responsibilities that entails. Setting out to find his crewmates, he encounters a surprising face from his past - and discovers that one people's utopia might be someone else's purgatory. He must lead an exodus - or risk a calamity of galactic proportions that even Starship Enterprise is powerless to stop…"

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Can't get enough of what you saw on Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (just kidding)? Then make sure you get the Star Trek: Strange New Worlds: The High Country tie-in novel from John Jackson Miller. John Jackson Miller is also responsible for the Star Trek: Picard: Rogue Elements, Star Trek: Discovery: Die Standing, and Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War novels.

He has a history writing for Star Wars! The Knights of the Old Republic and Knight Errant comic series, plus a KE tie-in novel. Also a Kenobi novel and assorted other SW bits and pieces. This looks interesting.