Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Trekking the second time around like it was new

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I know that Strange New Worlds essentially 'backdoor piloted' in S2 of Discovery.   That said .....

Do I need to watch the first two seasons of Discovery to get any and all references to SNW's Trekverse, or is SNW standalone enough to not have to (at least) watch the first couple of seasons of Discovery first?

I'm planning on it being necessary, but kinda hoping it isn't.

1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I know that Strange New Worlds essentially 'backdoor piloted' in S2 of Discovery.   That said .....

Do I need to watch the first two seasons of Discovery to get any and all references to SNW's Trekverse, or is SNW standalone enough to not have to (at least) watch the first couple of seasons of Discovery first?

Personal opinion - I hope that others will chime in with their thoughts.

I watched Discovery before Strange New Worlds came out. Discovery does introduce you to the SNW main characters. There are a couple of threads introduced in Discovery,

• Spock's relationship to Michael Burnham - the main character in Discovery,
  • Captain Pike's revelation at a Klingon monastery that he is fated to be horribly injured saving the lives of a group of cadets at a specific future date

Spock's relationship isn't that important to SNW. Captain Pike's future is an underlying thread in SNW, but it gets explained fairly well in the early episodes of Season One, using clips from Discovery.

Can you watch and understand SNW without seeing Discovery? Absolutely! But it will be more meaningful if you have seen Discovery, and any and all of the other Star Trek shows. SNW is full of Easter eggs!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I didn't watch Discovery, and I followed SNW just fine. Although I was aware of some plot points from Discovery. But I think SNW is standalone enough that you don't have to watch Discovery to understand and follow along.

However, it probably helps if one is familiar with The Original Series (and movies?) to get some of the references.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
16 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I've never watched Discovery and have no intention to, and I didn't feel like it affected my understanding of SNW enough to make it unwatchable. I enjoyed most of SNW's first season very much. But, without going into spoilers, I don't feel like SNW took the time to flesh out Pike beyond the big thing that happens to him in TOS, and, by the end of season one, I think I felt the impact of not watching his episodes on Discovery. I was also left wondering if Number One had prior development that was supposed to carry over to SNW. Things like that. (I also haven't watched TOS since the 90s.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I watched Discovery and SNW. You don't need to watch Discovery to understand SNW. The season of Discovery where Pike is introduced is probably one of their better seasons. You would probably be fine just watching season two. I don't think we got any extra character development for Number One though.

• Useful 1
(edited)

What I did was read the Wikipedia episode summaries for Seasons 1 and 2. I suppose if you want more detail than that you could also read what Memory Alpha & Beta have to say about those episodes. Seemed to give me enough background.  (As well as convincing me I had zero reason to ever watch Discovery).

Edited by QuantumMechanic
  • Useful 1

Thanks for the input, everyone.

@j5cochran, as much as I would love to know the complete canon story/history by watching every episode of both TOS and Enterprise (& Discovery, at least the first 2 seasons), I unfortunately just don't have the free time available to fulfill such a commitment.  I have watched some of TOS, first couple of seasons of ENT, and all the TOS (as well as the TNG and '2009') movies, so I just will have to make do with that.  And honestly, if I did have the time to watch all of it, I'd likely burn myself out on it and end up not looking forward to getting into SNW like I am currently.

I could carve out time for the first 2 seasons of Discovery if I can talk myself into it, but not all of TOS and ENT beforehand.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I have watched some of TOS, first couple of seasons of ENT, and all the TOS (as well as the TNG and '2009') movies, so I just will have to make do with that.  And honestly, if I did have the time to watch all of it, I'd likely burn myself out on it and end up not looking forward to getting into SNW like I am currently.

I could carve out time for the first 2 seasons of Discovery if I can talk myself into it, but not all of TOS and ENT beforehand.

FWIW, and this is just me, I think I would have enjoyed more of SNW if I'd known less about TOS. To avoid spoilers, I'll leave it at that.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, dovegrey said:

FWIW, and this is just me, I think I would have enjoyed more of SNW if I'd known less about TOS. To avoid spoilers, I'll leave it at that.

I agree with this statement. My mom and I watch SNW together but I've only seen an episode or two of TOS so I'm a lot less frustrated with SNW. I do find myself comparing to the new movies but remember those are set in a different timeline.

• Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Chit Chat said:

Hotels normally required a credit card on file, even if you intend to pay cash.  It's required in case you have any add-on charges to the room.  Also, if you steal or damage something, you're going to pay!!

I was in a Holiday Inn in Elizabeth City, NC that actually had a price list in a frame on the bathroom counter.  It said that "if you want the sheets, towels, iron, hair dryer, etc., this is how  much they cost. If you forget to tell us when you check out, an inventory will be taken and your credit card will be billed."  I was surprised that the wee bars of soap weren't listed. Sheesh.

(From the S2.03 thread)

Edited by Prevailing Wind
(edited)

So I tried to watch Discovery, all of season1 in fact, and at the end of the day I simply cant stand it. Find it to be the worst of all Trek series. Meanwhile I absolutely loved Season1 of SNW! So my question is- are there any episodes in particular of Discovery that hugely focus on Pike as opposed to Durnham? I'd watch those. TIA!

Edited by tv-talk
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, tv-talk said:

So I tried to watch Discovery, all of season1 in fact, and at the end of the day I simply cant stand it. Find it to be the worst of all Trek series. Meanwhile I absolutely loved Season1 of SNW! So my question is- are there any episodes in particular of Discovery that hugely focus on Pike as opposed to Durnham? I'd watch those. TIA!

I caught the first season of Discovery when it aired on CBS much like I caught this one when it was released to Amazon and YouTube. Neither show's giveaway of older content is another to pay for yet another service.

• Like 1

I'm watching DS9 on PlutoTV and they just aired my favorite episode - "Trials and Tribble-ations."  How they integrated the TOS footage (especially the bar fight) with new content so seamlessly is a marvel. And it was great that they could get Charlie Brill to reprise the role of Darvin.

I just wish I knew the story behind the alteration of the Klingons' appearance.

(edited)
On 7/4/2023 at 8:35 AM, tv-talk said:

On 7/4/2023 at 1:32 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

You're stronger than I. I couldn't get through the first episode.

From what I've read about in reviews and opinions about Discovery, is that it is a series that you'll ever love it or hate it.  Not much in between.

Going back to my original post in this thread, I think I'll just go with starting SNW 'cold' and if feel the need to try and learn more, I'll go back and watch Discovery S2.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Going back to my original post in this thread, I think I'll just go with starting SNW 'cold' and if feel the need to try and learn more, I'll go back and watch Discovery S2.

Just go read the Wikipedia episode summaries on the "List of Episodes" pages for seasons 1 and 2 of STD.  Worked for me!

• Useful 1

Just finished binging the first season.  Good opening go-round.  Looking forward to starting S2 soon.

Anyone watched the 4k UHD HDR/DV Blu Ray version of S1?  If you care about that kind of stuff, the picture quality is amazing.  The opening credits sequence, for instance?  Absolutely drool worthy.

I need a bit of advice/help! 

I would like to dress as Number One for Halloween (I have the long ponytail!), but I can't seem to find a pattern for the tunic version of the uniform. I don't want to rent or to buy a pre-made costume - they never fit. I want to make my own, but the pattern is not out there.

Any ideas?

• Like 1
21 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Any ideas?

I'm assuming you mean SNW.  If so, the answer is not an idea of of my own. But I asked my friend who is a costumer (and also a fan of this show).  She gave the following response... and yes, she just fire-hosed this at me via FB Messenger... Hope it helps: 

A sheath dress with sleeves and princess seams

But some pattern Alts will have to be made

And a bust dart

If you connect the side bust dart and princess dart on a pattern like this it creates the black side front panel that’s on Una's uniform

She also attached the image below of the patter she'd start with: pattern.thumb.jpg.1c6b3c9e23c4844ae69812675c95535a.jpg

Edited by RachelKM
Typos
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, RachelKM said:

I'm assuming you mean SNW.  If so, the answer is not an idea of of my own. But I asked my friend who is a costumer (and also a fan of this show).  She gave the following response... and yes, she just fire-hosed this at me via FB Messenger... Hope it helps: 

Thank you and thank your friend for me! 

I am a somewhat experienced seamstress, so his/her ideas made a lot of sense. After a bit more digging, I think that I've found the pattern to start from:

image.png.09d0577d9b6282f1a5492bfb190d57ec.png

The princess seam is a little too curvy for the SNW tunic, which has an angle at the top of the bust. But I think this will work for me! I just need to shorten it to fingertip length or so and add long sleeves.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 8/8/2023 at 7:46 PM, j5cochran said:

I would like to dress as Number One for Halloween (I have the long ponytail!), but I can't seem to find a pattern for the tunic version of the uniform. I don't want to rent or to buy a pre-made costume - they never fit. I want to make my own, but the pattern is not out there.

Any ideas?

I'm not a seamstress, but I found this pattern; it doesn't have the stand up collar, and I don't know if it can be adjusted so that it's a zipper instead of buttons:

https://simplicity.com/burda-style/bur6465

• Like 1
On 8/8/2023 at 4:46 PM, j5cochran said:

Any ideas?

Bad Wolf Costumes has a Next Gen pattern that could be modified. Making It Sew has detailed pictures of the costumes.